PDA

View Full Version : Question for people on hormones

jjjjohanne
10-17-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm not interested in taking hormones, but I am curious about the biology. Once you start taking female hormones, does your body's production of testosterone decrease or stay the same?

Laurie Ann
10-17-2012, 07:45 AM
I have been on hormones for three years and my testosterone levels are in the range of a natal female.

StaceyJane
10-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Normally when someone starts taking hormones they also take a testosterone blocker which lowers their testosterone level.

Sandra1746
10-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I have been on Finasteride for several years. It is not a testosterone blocker, it blocks conversion of T to DHT, the stuff that feeds the prostate. I recently started transdermal Estradiol and can report that my Testosterone levels are dropping rapidly. This is exactly the effect that was desired as Spiro is out for me because of other reasons.

So the simple answer is yes, Estradiol alone will lower testosterone, and rapidly.

Sandra1746

juno
10-17-2012, 09:43 PM
The endocrine system tries to maintain a net level of estradiol plus testosterone. Estradiol alone will reduce testosterone, but often it takes quite high doses to reduce it to desired levels. Very high E doses used to be the standard male-to-female protocol, but high doses increase health risks significantly. Testosterone blockers drop testosterone much more effectively at safe E doses. It also varies a lot by person. Some people can stop taking T blockers once on HRT for a while, and others end up adding more T blockers.

Deborah_UK
10-18-2012, 01:21 AM
I think the answers already show that one size does not fit all, I have not needed T blockers and I've been on a relatively low dose of estradiol valerate, which will reduce further when I'm post op, and like Laurie Ann my T is in the same range as a natal female

But in response to the OP - it decreased (in my case) by just taking estradiol valerate

melissaK
10-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Jjjjohane sweetie, this isn't a question girls who know they aren't interested in taking HRT ask. So are you deep down sure about why you're asking? Are you looking for some middle ground effect like breasts but still have sexual function? Because that's certainly a real common strategy for middle grounders seeking some sort of partial changes.

jjjjohanne
10-21-2012, 09:01 PM
melissaK, I asked this question because I am an engineer and all my life I take things apart to see how they work. Occasionally, I authentically get an idea or a question in my head and I want to satisfy my curiosity. I honestly am not interested in taking hormones. I probably would not have thought about what the side effects of hormones are if I was not a crossdresser and, therefore, never visited this forum... but that's about it. I don't even bother with makeup or wigs when I crossdress. I'm just a dude who loves silky fabrics and the idea of wearing all girls' clothes.

Marleena
10-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Jjjhonanne the goal of hormone replacement therapy for a TS woman is to get levels as close as possible to that of a genetic woman. So yes, testosterone levels drop to that of a woman.

Raquel June
10-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Well the short answer is yes, but juno said it better.

The endocrine system tries to maintain a net level of estradiol plus testosterone. Estradiol alone will reduce testosterone, but often it takes quite high doses to reduce it to desired levels. Very high E doses used to be the standard male-to-female protocol, but high doses increase health risks significantly. Testosterone blockers drop testosterone much more effectively at safe E doses. It also varies a lot by person. Some people can stop taking T blockers once on HRT for a while, and others end up adding more T blockers.

This is demonstrated in older studies of trans people. Estrogen alone can drop your testosterone levels.
http://www.gender-id.com/TSInfo/evaluation.htm

Although I find it fascinating that the opposite is not true. Excess testosterone can actually get converted to estrogen. That's why some bodybuilders who abuse steroids get gynecomastia.