PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Pantyhose...Did I hear that right?

Stephanie59
10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Five weeks ago I suffered a heart attack and had to have bypass surgery.
I feel fantastic now. I ignored the symptoms for the last 5 years. I lost 30 pounds already with healty eating and exercise (Do not recommed the open heart surgery to lose the weight).
Well in Cardiac rehab where they help you to adjust your lifestyles to be more heart healthy, they asked alot of questions about job and lifestyle, eating habbits etc.
They found out I travel by plane almost evey week.
They became concerned about blood clots and suggested I wear support hose.
The Nurse was in her 50's and said she recommended support pantyhose instead of the knee length or the thigh highs. The support will go up the entire leg and they seem to work better and there is better complience to wear them. I thought I was in heaven until she made another sugestion. She also sugessted shaving the legs as the hose would be easier to put on, wear and take off.
Who knew that if you have open heart surgery you get the OK to shave youe legs and wear pantyhose.
Steph

Sandra1746
10-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Good luck with the recovery Stephanie.

And yes, pantyhose or tights are often recommended to aid circulation and keep blood from pooling in the legs. I wear them regularly during the winter and I do shave my legs.

Enjoy your new opportunity,
Sandra1746

CynthiaD
10-17-2012, 07:10 PM
I also have a "doctor's prescription" for pantyhose. I had blood clots in my lungs. It was so bad that the doctors in the emergency room were amazed that I was still alive. I've worn pantyhose all day every day since. The sheer ones are the tightest. I also shave my legs. All in all, I'd rather not have the "excuse."

Nichola
10-17-2012, 07:15 PM
You'd better do as you're told & get those tights on then.
So sorry to hear about your heart attack though, that's awful. Hope your recovery goes well.

Loveday
10-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Wow, the nurse told you to shave also ! I only got told to wear compression leggings or pantyhose because I was getting lumps in the veins of my legs. It would be nice to get upgraded to shaving also. Good luck on your recovery.

michellecd9999
10-17-2012, 07:45 PM
"Ezilabith.... I feel the big one com'in on!" (Excuse to wear pantyhose!!!)

STACY B
10-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Now you Ladys see the light !! YES,,,YES,,,, Do it ,,, An NO FISHNETS !! There not the same ,,,,LOL,,,,,,

STACY B
10-17-2012, 08:17 PM
The Doctor knows Best !! I wear them all the time an with shorts or capris ,,,LOL,,, Bad Veins ,,,,Bad veins,,,, Before they even get it out there mouth ,,Bad veins ,,,LOL,,,,

Check it out !!!Bike riding everyday ,,,LOL,,,,

Inna
10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Now! if they only stipulated wearing a bra was mandatory to keep pressure on your chest, and a wig to keep the scalp blood warm, and of course skirts to keep the stockinged legs cool, and gave you prescription to all that, I am sure lots here would wish for a mild heart condition......

alexmarie
10-17-2012, 09:20 PM
I also have leg problems I ware support hose every day and yes my legs are shaved

Tracii G
10-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Sorry you had to go thru that and I wish you good health from here on out.
Do like the Dr said and shave those legs hunny.

sissystephanie
10-17-2012, 09:38 PM
My legs are shaved, but nobody has told me to wear pantyhose! Well, except for my late wife!! But Inna, a doctor did tell me and my dad that I should always wear a bra because I had B cup breasts. He said if I didn't wear a bra they would sag and look bad. I was 9 years old at the time and have worn a bra almost ever since! I am now 80 years old and wear a bra every day!

Wildaboutheels
10-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Mantyhose have been around since June of 09 so I am sure there are probably at least a few competitors by now making pantyhose FOR men. And Compression hosiery have been recommended for frequent fliers with circualtion problems for many years now.

Just one link [of many] for Mantyhose. VVV

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28527841/ns/today-style/t/mantyhose-not-your-moms-pantyhose/

gabe
10-18-2012, 01:07 AM
The kind of pantyhose your nurse had in mind is not the regular leg wear from women's hosiery, they are graduated compression stocking. In order for them to provide benefit personally I find they have to be 30-40 mmHg.

MsRenee
10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
I love Inna's response. Congrats on your recovery keep it up girl.
Renee

Barbara Ella
10-18-2012, 09:58 AM
So I guess this means that I am really practicing preventive medicine? Works for me.

Good luck with your recovery. listen to the doctors

Barbara

DonnaT
10-18-2012, 10:53 AM
I had a doctor looking at my ankle a couple of months ago, and he said I needed to start wearing light support stockings due to edema. He suggested knee length. Of course, the ones that are meant for clots and such are different (Jobst (http://www.jobst-usa.com/)), and quite costly.

My wife asked what I was going to do, and I told her I would just wear the cheaper compression pantyhose (No Nonsense Smart Support) I already had. Made with Lycra® Leg Care™, Smart Support's graduated compression creates a special massaging action to refresh and invigorate legs.

Now, if I needed firmer support, I would go the Jobst route, as I can't see placing a price limit on my health. Insurance would probably pay part of the cost?

~Joanne~
10-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Yes, You heard her right :) Pantyhose do a lot more than just make legs look nice. Of coarse, she wasn't talking about the hose that we girls wear but the really thick, high compression, $30 a pair kind. I am also sure she meant under your pants too but hey, if you want to run with her recommendations, I say go for it! :)

I am glad to hear though that things went well with your surgery and that you are recovering nicely :)

Polly R
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi Steph

Sorry to hear about your ticker problems. Sounds like you're well on the mend though.

Following an operation on my knee last year, I suffered odoema in my legs and guess what? My doctor recommended support hose too! I was recommended Elbeo Supreme tights - the strongest available in the UK without prescription. I've shaved my legs periodically for the odd time I've been going out dressed but had to shave my legs for the op and found it was far easier to wear them with smooth legs so continued full time for most of this last year. The odoema has reduced significantly so I don't have to wear them all the time now but being CD, at least I have a good excuse..! (and they do feel and look good)

Keep well.

Polly

Sheren Kelly
10-18-2012, 09:16 PM
In somewhat different circumstance:

A biker recommended I wear pantyhose under my jeans next time I ride (as I tried to warm up at a road hous after riding through a storm in the mountains).

And in the field, I was told some guys use pantyhose to keep ticks and chiggers off of their legs.

So pantyhose have many virtues, besides making our legs look fabulous!

Wish you a quick recovery Steph....

michellecd9999
10-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Yes, As a hunter, I wear pantyhose a lot when I am in the woods to keep the chiggers and ticks off. It is also another layer of warmth during those cold days. This is the only time my wife knows that I wear them. She does not know I also wear them with a skirt and high heels!

UNDERDRESSER
10-18-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm somewhat ticked off that I've told several people at work that i had some checks done last year, and got a clean bill of health! If only I had known!

BillieJoEllen
10-19-2012, 11:40 AM
A few years ago I had a knee replaced and as a result I had to wear T.E.D.D. hose. After I was able to get up and about I made a few forays into the world. After a PT session one day (I was wearing the hose and shorts) I went to the grocery store and an older woman confronted me about looking like a big sissy with what I was wearing. Sheeesh! I wasn't even CDing.

Beverley Sims
10-19-2012, 12:36 PM
It's OK Steph I can shave my legs and wear panty hose without having open heart surgery.

Some time ago I had an operation for prostate cancer and if anything recurs they are prescribing female hormones as part of the treatment.
I was asked if I was worried about breast development if I had to have the treatment. I said "no". :)

giuseppina
10-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Sorry to hear of the heart attack, Steph and glad to hear you're recovering nicely. I'm a bit concerned that you are losing weight with unhealthy speed.

I've had a bit of achiness in my chest that would be easy to ignore, but I've chosen not to with my family history (males often have fatal cardiovascular events, including previous asymtomatic events between 50 and 70 on both sides of the family).

It's interesting you would get a "prescription" to shave your legs and wear pantyhose. I've noticed my lower leg hairs feeling pulled wearing ordinary men's knee socks. Shaving eliminates the sensation.

And BJE, I might very well have told the old biddy that I had been prescribed the hose and told her in no uncertain terms to MYOB.

Maria 60
10-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Sorry about your heart attack, but I do love that you sound very positive and you even threw in a little joke in there. Hope all go's well and hope you don't forget the doctors orders.

sfwarbonnet
10-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Yes, pantyhose or tights are often recommended to aid circulation and keep blood from pooling in the legs. I wear them regularly during the winter and I do shave my legs.

Enjoy your new opportunity,
Sandra1746

I've found that support PH are warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Also, support PH offer more compression.

Other crossdressing "opportunities" are provided by the following traditionally women's clothes (even when these are available in the men's department, they are probably specialty items there, whereas they are mainstream in the women's department and are probably less expensive there):

!) Pants: Women’s pull on pants are much easier to put on than men’s belted pants. They do not need a fake fly, as the absence of it is usually not apparent, but I prefer non-figured and solid color, non-pastel pants so they are not readily identified as women’s clothing

2) Panties: Underwear with a fly is unnecessary with pull on pants. Although there are no-fly briefs in the men’s department, women’s full-cut briefs work just as well, and are often cheaper.

3) Slips: Shirttails tend to readily pull out of pull on pants. This can expose panty and pantyhose tops and a bare back is usually uncomfortable when seated. A “solution” is to wear a full slip that is short enough to be worn with slacks. A slip with adjustable straps, lace trim, and a bodice is even OK as it is covered and feminine features aren’t apparent. Also slips are usually made of material that makes it easier to pull on pants.

4) Bra: This is generally not considered an adrogynous item, but it can be useful in “boy mode” to keep non-adjustable straps on a slip from falling off the shoulders

5) Pantyhose: An MD suggested that I wear support pantyhose to avoid the indentation in my lower legs that mid-calf or knee-high socks make. Pantyhose do not require anything that is not also needed with pull on pants. Opaque ones are best, as they aren't readily identified as women's hosiery, but that isn't necessary and non-opaque pantyhose are OK and are more available.

6) Purse: Keeping a wallet, comb, notepad, phone, and keys in pants pockets is awkward as it is hard to extract them when seated, and pockets in women’s pull on pants are often not very deep anyway. My “solution” is to use a small shoulder purse, which can either be worn or secured in a basket when that