PDA

View Full Version : She rolled her eyes and said "she looks like a man"

bimini1
10-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Have any of your GG friends ever tried to cut down a woman by saying they looked like a man. I just had this happen in a meeting at work when a co-worker began talking about a T.A. she had in college. She got visibly angry and agitated when she said it too. I don't know why it unnerved me so.

I was simply asking her about a geology course she took in college and this is the response I got. I wanted to tell her to just shut up. Then I realized all are entitled to opinion but it still unnerved me. Should it have?

Madam Rose
10-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't let it get to you.

KateSpade83
10-18-2012, 04:49 PM
It's a big put down and it's really bad if a woman looks like a man... Then she might probably turn into a butch dyke. I have an in law like this and she'll probably never have a man in her life.

Angela Campbell
10-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes but does she throw a ball like a girl?

Lorileah
10-18-2012, 05:22 PM
probably just as bad if you say a guy looks like a woman and he is not trying to. Then again maybe she looked like a very handsome man. You know Lauren Bacall was called masculine and so was Katherine Hepburn. both of which I found very good looking

Tracii G
10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Purple you can see the person inside and don't judge that is a very nice quality to have.
I see people belittle others and it really bothers me and sometimes I will say something.
Case in point a very pretty larger girl was in the grocery with her husband and two mid 20's girls behind them were giggling and making fun of her and talking about how big her butt was.
It just hit me how nasty some people can be so I said to them both " you know she has a man and you don't looks like". You should be ashamed to act that way.
The one said well she is a fat butt ha ha.I said "her butt looks better than yours" because you don't have one missy.
They stood there with their mouths open so I said "oh snap"and walked off.I was in boy mode too.
I don't like rude people with no compassion.

Chickhe
10-19-2012, 03:00 AM
I was a little put off by a similar situation this summer when a friend of mine and his daughter were taking about this older store clerk lady who looked like a man too them. I don't care if someone points out the obvious, but I get offended when they talk down about the way someone looks and there is not much the person can do to change it... my response to them was, but did she help you? ...they said she was friendly to them, and I said, that's all the matters...

Bree-asaurus
10-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Women put down other women to make themselves feel better.

Just like men put down other men to make themselves feel better.

What's the worst put down? That one gender looks like the other.

I say: mneh.

Rogina B
10-19-2012, 05:05 AM
How can anyone control what appearance they were born with??? It can be tweaked,but major changes are costly..And what does that have to do with sexuality???
It's a big put down and it's really bad if a woman looks like a man... Then she might probably turn into a butch dyke. I have an in law like this and she'll probably never have a man in her life.

STACY B
10-19-2012, 06:08 AM
Same thing kinda happen yesterday with me ,,They were doing a drivway close to the local club an the guy said that I didn't know that was that kind of Bar ? An jokingly said something about the kind of people that go in there ,, An I just look him striait in the eyes an said OHHHHHHH YEA ,,, That place has been there for years you don't go there ? Yea right ?? An he said NO !! I said why not WE have lots of FUN there ,,,LOL,,, I don't go but it was fun top see his reaction , I don't go in any bars anymore not just that one ,,, I have been in there back in the day ,,You would be surprized who u see there ! Hell that's where all the fun was ! Atleast they were happy ,,,

linda allen
10-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Women put down other women to make themselves feel better.

Just like men put down other men to make themselves feel better..

Exactly. And that's one good reason not to go up to someone you suspect is a CDer and introduce yourself. She might actually be a genetic female. How embarassing would that be?

Karren H
10-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Maybe she was attracted to the TA and that scared her?

Beverley Sims
10-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Ignore it, let it pass, it is just a bitchy put down.

kimdl93
10-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Not so much intended as a cutting remark, but my wife has observed that some women are more masculine in appearance than others. I think for example of Glenn Close - who we both think is a great actress and attractive, although some of her features are a bit masculine. It makes me a little more comfortable knowing that.

mikiSJ
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Have any of your GG friends ever tried to cut down a woman by saying they looked like a man. I just had this happen in a meeting at work when a co-worker began talking about a T.A. she had in college. She got visibly angry and agitated when she said it too. I don't know why it unnerved me so.

I was simply asking her about a geology course she took in college and this is the response I got. I wanted to tell her to just shut up. Then I realized all are entitled to opinion but it still unnerved me. Should it have?

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to the disparagement of anyone. Would you have kept quiet if the comment was racial, or regarded a physical impairment. I hope not.

It has taken me most of my adult life to finally realize that it IS NOT ALRIGHT to express any opinion and I have a right to object to these 'opinions'. Next time, please speak up. Last year I walked out of a meeting when the CEO of the company started to tell a racial 'joke'. I told him I didn't want to participate in that conversation. A couple of seconds later he came out and apologized to me. I don't know if I changed his attitude about racial jokes, but I at least got my point across at that meeting.

Remember, this individual you described could have been talking about one of our sisters here on the forum.

Miki

linda allen
10-19-2012, 01:06 PM
....... but my wife has observed that some women are more masculine in appearance than others. .........

I find myself doing that when I'm out in public. That could be a man (a crossdresser or TG), that couldn't possibly be one, etc.

Society puts expectaions on people but there's a wide range of actual bodies and mannerisms among real people. I would never say anything to anyone though.

Vanessa5
10-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I have made it a point to not belittle or smudge on people who are different. My love of feminine clothing could get me besmirtched with many.
One thing I have learned is the people that do belittle me all I have to do is walk away. If I do feel the comments are over-the-top I will take a stand and reply in kind.

Foxglove
10-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Not so much intended as a cutting remark, but my wife has observed that some women are more masculine in appearance than others.

It's funny, Kim, every once in a while I see a woman who raises a question in my mind: "Could she possibly be one of us?" I've never asked the question, though.

You do hear some odd things. Once I was doing some maintenance work around a primary school, and one day I came across 4 pretty big girls who were making fun of one little boy, saying "X sulks like a girl! X sulks like a girl!" I thought that was strange. Why should girls put a boy down by comparing him unfavorably to themselves? I couldn't figure it out.

Annabelle