PDA

View Full Version : Seemingly impossible scenario

Shdow_dragoness
10-22-2012, 10:00 AM
I did something that a lot of you girls out there wish you could do in your younger years. Since I go to college and am doing a project I decided that it was time for me to just give up being paranoid and went to the college library (ironically full) in my alternate persona. At the sight of the full library and an empty third floor I ended up trying an experiment. So I sat in a somewhat secluded place and read my history text. I had teachers and students walk past me and they did not react in any way creep-ed out about it. That made me feel good inside. I did come across a few students in the stairwell (mostly women), and hardly seemed to care. Experiment successful! I am going to go to the library more often like that, of coarse I have to get there early when the library is not so full.

kimdl93
10-22-2012, 10:10 AM
It seems like a pretty valid test. Most of us who go out notice that very few people notice - and few of those who notice are bothered by our presence. I've made it a habit of having a latte a couple of times each week at a busy neighborhood Starbucks. I'm seldom noticed and often receive friendly reactions.

Beverley Sims
10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
What if you meet one of your class mates?
How will they react to you?
A fine and brave exercise that will engender more confidence in you.
Especially if you are not recognized. :)

TxKimberly
10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Good for you! One of my biggest regrets is that it took me to my mid 30's to get enough courage to get out into the real world. At least you are not going to have THAT regret!

Wildaboutheels
10-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Good for you Sd for taking that giant first leap of faith... that was rewarded with... people not even batting an eye! Sounds like you are off to the races now and I think you will find that even if you are not simply sitting minding your own business, most all people will "accept" you as long as you treat them with respect and courtesy.

The other side of the coin is WHY anyone would or should care how you are dressed? Do YOU care or notice when you see other folks dressed differently? Or do you even notice? People dressed "differently" are everywhere if you go sit on most any parkbench or walk around a mall. Rainbow colored hair, piercings and tats of all kinds and colors in all kinds of places. Teenagers or even "adults" with their pants or shorts mid thigh. Women over [possibly way over] 200 pounds wearing "spray on" pants or shorts barely covering their womanhood. CDers tend to think THEY are the only ones not dressed "normally" but it just isn't so.

Tracii G
10-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Good for you SD its not hard to do is it?
Doing studies like this are quite fun and rewarding plus you get to be your alter ego.

StephanieJ
10-22-2012, 11:36 AM
I remember seeing a couple guys wearing skirts to class 20 years ago at the University of Utah. Other than a couple disparaging jocks, most people just gave a quick glance as they walked past.

Chickhe
10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Sounds great! As long as you can handle someone you know figuring it out then no problem. Try interacting with people too...

Shdow_dragoness
10-23-2012, 08:21 AM
My only classes I go to are on Tuesday's & Thursday's in English and Friday history class. So the risk of getting noticed by my classmates is pretty minimal. Still, ever since I took a six year hiatus from school, it escaped me that the library is ALWAYS full on Monday. I may just go back Friday when the library is really low in people and I can do my work in peace. As far as mingling with others I almost got my femme voice perfect, a couple more months of training (ball park) should do it.