PDA

View Full Version : HRT changing sensory perception

LaurenB
10-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Hey there,

My thoughts lately are about asking my doc for a low dose HRT regimen to ease what's becoming an almost obsessive amount of time in my head dwelling on my GID. Naturally, I'm scouring everything I can about side effects. Lot's of considerations ... but that's a different topic.

So in mulling over the various HRT threads and doing research elsewhere on the net, I ran across some comments that seemed to say that HRT creates a deepening of the senses. For those who've been on it for a while - is there anything to this? If that's so, can you describe what the differences are.

As a sometime artist, this is a very interesting subject to me. Thanks, LB.

Kaitlyn Michele
10-23-2012, 06:05 AM
i have not had that experience with HRT..

I'm a sometimes artist too....for me nothing changed related to artistic things...i still read history books, i still like and play the same music..

Unless it happened too slow to notice, i don't think my taste or smell sense changed

but i do get emotional at love stories, and i'm much more prone to turn away from the bloody movie scene though..

Kirsty_D
10-23-2012, 06:27 AM
After having spent a large part of this afternoon crying I can say that it makes you a lot more emotional, very easy to get the water works flowing.

One strange thing I have noticed though is that my writing has become even more long winded than before.
A friend of mine is prone to writing 2,000 word emails full of literary quotes and interesting facts. When I recently sent him a mail he commented that it was almost as long as the 'pulp fiction' he pours out.

Aprilrain
10-23-2012, 07:28 AM
It's not acid! It's estrogen! Lol.

I think what shifted for me was not my actual sensory perception but rather my awareness. Things that were once important fade into the back ground and things I didn't pay much attention to move into the foreground. I don't think that is all hormones though, I think simply living the experience of a woman as opposed to a man affects this change in awareness.

Laurie Ann
10-23-2012, 09:04 AM
I have been on HRT for three years the biggest change I have experienced is I have become more emotional with my response to different situations.

Marleena
10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I have been on HRT for three years the biggest change I have experienced is I have become more emotional with my response to different situations.

I notice the same thing here although it's around 7 months for me. My wife noticed how much calmer I am and easy to be around though. I'm finally happy, something that escaped me forever.

Beverley Sims
10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Being more sensitive to others, a change in emotions, crying more openly to sad situations and a more caring nature.
A bit worrying when I look back at the overall effects.

gonegirl
10-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Being more sensitive to others, a change in emotions, crying more openly to sad situations and a more caring nature.
A bit worrying when I look back at the overall effects.

I'm also interested to learn about this topic, thanks for posting this thread Lauren.

Beverley - would you mind elaborating on what it is that is worrying to you when you look back? The changes you wrote of seem to be positive ones rather than negative.

Thank you,
Mac.

Inna
10-23-2012, 11:25 AM
HRT isn't a single ingredient prescription, but a slew of various cocktail of chemistry which alters, rectifies, influences, both, physicality and neuro-cognitive of an individual.
Estrogen as opposing Testosterone changes gender specific criterion influencing cells metabolisms, and rectifying cognitive functioning of a female brain, providing such brain is constructed in the female scheme. In fact low dose of E and Tblock are sometime used to determine hard to diagnose patients by introducing female chemistry and seeing the response of the mind. Achieving clarity means YES, confusion leads to negative determination.

Then there is Tblocker, several are available, they diminish either production or conversion of more potent forms of T, however, in order to transition fully, T production needs to be severely reduced. Absence of T then brings on change in the libido, sex drive and changes how one sees sexuality in the physical versus sensual perspectives. T is a male hormone and promotes male characteristic, such as physicality of sexuality, aggression, masculinity, etc.
With T gone, muscular regeneration, strength and libido are severely reduced, and with introduction of E, sensuality and emotional depth are greatly elevated.

Then there is progesterone, controversial still, it is introduced to help in female body fat tissue growth and redistribution, but what many fail to spot, P is exclusively a Pregnancy hormone, and promotes characteristic present during pregnancy. In fact P is the culprit in extremely heightened emotional state, sense of smell and taste, weight gain!!!!!
Not everyone is taking P, but as I see it now, the benefits I have gained both physical and emotional, are vast and extremely important in my own spiritual growth as a woman.

So, YES, HRT does influence sensory perception, cognitive interpretation of the world, sensual perception, emotional content, but rather then change it, it merely corrects all these senses and provides clarity and wholeness of body and mind!!!!!

sandra-leigh
10-23-2012, 12:46 PM
The only change in sensory perception I have noticed is that I seem to be able to tolerate some fish smells a little better. Not even most, just a small number; I still have to flee from most of them. That's about it.

KellyJameson
10-23-2012, 01:43 PM
In my opinion hormones have a significant impact on the sensitivity of the senses and all this information pouring in is one reason for the emotionality which has been the theme of my life.

The brain is much more sensitive to over stimulation so creating a soothing environment is important to off setting this or you will be bouncing off the walls or having crying jags.

Nature walks, hot baths, music, ect.. whatever works for you but in my opinion it is very important to practice heightened awareness of emotional self care.

Also watch for food cravings that you may have started in childhood, particularly licorice but each person is different.

I would not recommend eating licorice without first checking with your doctor.

sandra-leigh
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
I would not recommend eating licorice without first checking with your doctor.

I had not heard that, but a quick check suggests that yes, it is a potential problem for those on HRT, affecting the sodium / potassium balance (http://voices.yahoo.com/licorice-side-effects-avoid-eating-licorice-2270618.html). Real licorice, that is.

Saffron
10-23-2012, 06:48 PM
I hope that doesn't include red liquorice candy cause I love it! Lol

LaurenB
10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the interesting comments. I had read about the sense of smell changing - more intense - some things smell worse that never bothered before (like male odors). I know that when my wife was pregnant her taste changed completely and then changed back. I'm wondering about tactile inputs given that your skin is now softer, thinner and therefore more sensitive. Do certain fabrics feel better or worse than before? What about colors?

EnglishRose
10-23-2012, 07:55 PM
You know, I SWEAR hormones have made me crave sour candy much more.

Rianna Humble
10-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Do certain fabrics feel better or worse than before? What about colors?

I have not noticed colours feeling or tasting much different to the way they were before. Although, of course, the variety of colours has expanded.

noeleena
10-24-2012, 03:11 AM
Hi,

Im one of those fortunate ones that my own hormones did more for myself than any other outside meds / drugs. such as H R T,

Why, well as you know those of us who are intersex, do have different things going on . I may like to think the replacement meds did do something just not concerning my mind. body a few miner details yes, nothing that you could say thats major, just little things, other than that its only for my bodys maintenace .

what works for one may not another, as is my case,

...noeleena...

Beverley Sims
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Beverley - would you mind elaborating on what it is that is worrying to you when you look back? The changes you wrote of seem to be positive ones rather than negative.

Thank you,
Mac.

When I was taking them Thrombosis, high blood pressure, cancer and a lot of other side effects and hazards were swept under the carpet.
Blood tests and monitoring of body chemistry reduce the risks significantly.
One thing I have is very slow hair growth except the face and I may not have male pattern baldness either.

Myojine
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Hey there,

My thoughts lately are about asking my doc for a low dose HRT regimen to ease what's becoming an almost obsessive amount of time in my head dwelling on my GID. Naturally, I'm scouring everything I can about side effects. Lot's of considerations ... but that's a different topic.

So in mulling over the various HRT threads and doing research elsewhere on the net, I ran across some comments that seemed to say that HRT creates a deepening of the senses. For those who've been on it for a while - is there anything to this? If that's so, can you describe what the differences are.

As a sometime artist, this is a very interesting subject to me. Thanks, LB.

I can truely say the only thing that really changed with my HRT when it comes to "senses and emotions" and stuff was that ive become more sexually active, and orgasms are much harder to achive and damn near ****ing unbearable when I do get them. I've also come to enjoy sex by pure arousal alone, but still with the desire to orgasm.
I've become less fixiated on someones gender but rather their looks and attitudes towards me. Although I feel MUCH more deeply emotionally attached to singificant others and people ive had sex with. I'm also a bit more touchy feely, sexual arousal makes much of my body feel electric and soft touch and carassing becomes extremely... kinda an overload of stimulous.
Like I hated kissing and making out when I was "male" but now I cant seem to get enough of it now that im "female"

Other than That^ HRT didnt change much of anything.

jackielou
10-24-2012, 02:05 PM
i hve been on low dose E for a while and tried to stop several months ago but believe it or not my woman was the first one to notice the changes to a more irritable snappy as she put it person and ask me if i had change my meds i told her i had stopped the estrogen and it was her who told me to start back on it as she didnt like the person i was becoming so as Marleena said i am calmer more attentive to her and overall feel better about myself and we are now very happy she and i

Sandra1746
10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I have been on Estradiol for awhile now and have not noticed any changes to sensory perception. My sense of smell and taste is as poor as it ever was (LOL). However my mood has very certainly improved, my wife even remarked on the fact that I have become more "mellow". I guess before I was too type-A male.

All the 'health warnings' have not happened either, I recently had a battery of blood tests, a regular event for me, and the results were just fine. So far so good.

The journey continues,
Sandra1746

Cheyenne Skye
10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
I had not heard that, but a quick check suggests that yes, it is a potential problem for those on HRT, affecting the sodium / potassium balance (http://voices.yahoo.com/licorice-side-effects-avoid-eating-licorice-2270618.html). Real licorice, that is.

I read that article and wonder how that would be a bad thing. The Spiro causes you to secrete more sodium and retain more potassium, while the licorice does the opposite. So wouldn't that mean better a chance of achieving a balance?