PDA

View Full Version : Yes Liz your clothes are not getting smaller, but the new clothes are getting bigger!

lingerieLiz
10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Well today I was changing over some seasonal clothes. Having lost some weight recently, I tried on some of the smaller things I have saved as irreplaceable pieces. One of them was a pencil skirt, a holdover from 1960. It was marked as a 10 and I thought I should be able to wear it. My favorite skirt back then was a size 6. HOW WRONG COULD I BE!

I knew that dress sizes have gone up. In the early 60s I wore a 10 or 12 dress or blouse and an 8 skirt. Over the years I've stayed in the sub 12 dress depending on bust cut down to an 8 skirt if lucky.

After doing some research I found out that my size 6 skirt would be a zero or 00 today. WOW, vanity sizing has failed to tell me how fat I've become. My old dresses would have been about a 4 or 6. That means if you're buying vintage clothes be careful about sizes. I'm wondering if the clothes I gave away for costumes will fit any of the high school girls. I thought it would be fun to go see a play and remember where I had worn that outfit years ago.

kimdl93
10-24-2012, 06:24 AM
It seems sizing has to keep up with the people who wear them! Americans are just getting fatter!

linda allen
10-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Sizing in women's clothes is all over the place. I have some size 10 skirts that need a belt to stay up, I know I need a size 12 in some brands, and one size 12 in that same brand was so tight I couldn't get it hooked, much less wear it.

When I know I'm going shopping, I take a tape measure with me and just measure the waist. Even then I end up returning some skirts.

BTW: THere's no way I could wear something that fit me in 1960 either.

Beverley Sims
10-24-2012, 12:23 PM
I tried on a pair of cute size 16 shorts that used to fit, no where near big enough, so I wore the not as cute size 14s instead.
Go figure? :)

tara t
10-24-2012, 12:33 PM
i agree with linda, sizing is all over the place , generaly i look for a size uk10 in a dress etc and then hold it up and gauge will it fit . same with wife, some 10s are loose while some 12s are tight . i suspect it is from factorys more interested in reaching quotas than accurate production of garments .

Wildaboutheels
10-24-2012, 12:41 PM
It's been shown that putting smaller numbers on garments will get more people to buy them. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Stephanie47
10-24-2012, 02:41 PM
I visited a website not too long ago that compared average weight, height, sizes of today with those of the 1960's. It was pretty. Just go to the mall and watch people, men and women and kids. Yuck! There's going to be a lot of early deaths due to diabetes and related ailments.

suit
10-25-2012, 05:29 AM
I visited a website not too long ago that compared average weight, height, sizes of today with those of the 1960's. It was pretty. Just go to the mall and watch people, men and women and kids. Yuck! There's going to be a lot of early deaths due to diabetes and related ailments.

just think how the goverment will manage that when it becomes a medacare cost/expence. it is like 2 ~ $2.00 beers you cant really do anything of quality for an hr.
so you spent an hr, plus the time to drink. and what are you "worth an hr. " = the real cost of those 2 beers. works with its just a buck for those fat filled nuggets/ bag of chips ect.
it is not the cost to buy/eat ..its the cost to shed those extra's .you actualy taxed your self !