PDA

View Full Version : Name issues with my bank

sierra_g
10-27-2012, 10:30 PM
I've been using Sierra on everything I can. When I sign up for something, it is as Sierra. The only time I don't is when it asks for legal name. Well, I signed up into a program that will send me a check. I signed up as Sierra, because I didn't even think about it, but now I wonder what I will do with my check. Will my bank take it, or will they reject it because it isn't made out to my legal name?

Have any of you dealt with this and if so, how did you deal with it? If I go to my bank, do you think that they would add Sierra as a name to my account?

Thanks all! :)

Jorja
10-27-2012, 10:45 PM
It would be my thought that unless you have legally changed your name, no the bank will not cash your check.

Stephenie S
10-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Pick a name that matches your initials. Then have the bank list you as R.D. Jones. Don't use your name at all, just your initials. Single women (like me) do this all the time to protect our identity.

S

jsunic_1978
10-27-2012, 11:10 PM
i use my debit card A LOT even as Jen. does it has to be my legal name?? I understand that signature is just for handwriting prophases. Hotels has to be your legal name? right?

Aloha Jayne
10-28-2012, 12:02 AM
No banking expert here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I don't know,,,, it's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I would definitely add Sierra to your bank account name,,,,,,,,,,,and any other clubs or organizations you belong to.

Chickhe
10-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Just have Sierra endorse it.

Saffron
10-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Can you change it into a bearer check?

StephanieC
10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Banking laws require banks to verify the id of people when opening an account and DL is the standard, though other methods are allowed. Generally, a check made out to one name will not be cashed unless that is one of the names on the account: this is to avoid check fraud. I don't know if endorsing the check to another name will help: banks tend to dislike 2nd party checks for fraud reasons as well.

You could try a deposit. Sign it to a name which has an account. The bank will place a 1-2 day hold but should clear it once it is authenticated.

Good luck

-stephani

sandra-leigh
10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
I know there is some leeway. For example, there are two major ways to spell my last name, and if I get issued a cheque in the wrong form, I am still able to cash it.

Inna
10-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Corporation!!!! Go on the division of corporations in your state site, apply for a Sierra, ltd. or inc, or what ever you want, and voile! Or you may choose to name the corporation Sierra and your last name or fictitious name, like Smith. Yes, there is a small fee involved, I am not sure how much in your state but here in Florida it is roughly $170-180. Small price to pay to be Sierra everywhere, on the credit cards, on the bank account, on checks etc......

RADER
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
If you endorse the check as for deposit only, Most banks will accept it.
Once deposited, you can draw out funds at will.
Rader

sandra-leigh
10-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Corporation!!!! Go on the division of corporations in your state site, apply for a Sierra, ltd. or inc, or what ever you want, and voile!

Rules for corporations vary by location.

In the province I live in, the names of corporations must include something that describes the variety of work that the corporation does, so as to distinguish it from other (existing or future) corporations with similar names. For example, "Sierra Dance, Inc." instead of just "Sierra".

The name rules are not the same for corporations that incorporate federally in Canada, though (but that costs more.)

Corporations here must have at least two people in the board of directors. Three different (specific) positions are mandatory for corporate boards here, but one person is allowed to fill two (specific) positions, with it not being allowed that one person fills all three. Annual corporate reports must be filed with the province here.

I looked into this a few years ago: I was wanting to get a debit card in my female name but the bank said by law here they can only issue them in legal names -- but that they can issue them in business names. So I looked into what it would take to create a business name. One twist here is that it is easier to create a DBA (Doing Business As) name than a new corporation, and that the easiest legal routine can be to create a numbered corporation and then a DBA.

Cheryl T
10-29-2012, 10:06 AM
If Sierra has the same last name then just deposit the check in your account as "For Deposit Only".
It shouldn't need a signature that way and if the bank asks for one then just sign it as the account holder. They should take it without any problem. You're not cashing it, you're depositing it and they will have your account as collateral if there is a problem, which of course there won't be.

sierra_g
10-30-2012, 10:44 PM
The last name is similar to my legal last name, but I am changing my full legal name for stealth reasons, plus my dad doesn't want me keeping my legal last name. He named me the 4th, so he is pretty upset over this entire name change.
I do understand, I just can't give him what he wants.

Miranda-E
10-30-2012, 11:23 PM
once the name starts creeping into banking records, just change it legally. its not hard to to in idaho.

Debglam
10-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi Sierra,

I think the answer is to just go into the bank and explain the situation. I have seen individuals with credit cards in their "femme names" when that is not their legal name. The bank will likely add Sierra as another name on the account. Their main concern is to have whatever name is used tied to a "real" person (your legal name). In my legal work, I frequently have individuals doing business as (DBA) some other name. Joe Blow DBA Blow Industries. They can call themselves whatever they want so long as the person we can lay hands on is clearly identified.

Good luck,
Debby

I Am Paula
10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Incorporating yourself is not a good idea. It's illegal in a lot of states. Then, you you will have to fill out, and pay a minimum in corporate taxes (yes, two tax returns). You will be required to keep minutes of all meetings with yourself, and use a corporate seal ( a three pound cast iron nutcracker) on everything you sign. Corporations are also keapt under a microscope, so expect an audit every few years. That seems like alot of hassle for not alot of return. -Celeste

Loni
11-01-2012, 09:43 AM
deposit the check as normal via your atm, and it will go through, just the bank will put a hold on the cash for a good week (they gain interest on the cash this way).
never had a problem.
you can open another account he her name, talk to a back officer about this. it is legal to do just a couple hoops.

Aprilrain
11-01-2012, 09:59 AM
My bank told me that they will not issue accounts in anything but a legal name. That being said, I'm sure you can get the check deposited with minimum fuss.

angpai30
11-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Everything works out better when I explain the situation. Most places that I go now all know me as Angela and I have everything in the system as Angela except for the changing of my legal name. They all put it in brackets (Goes by Angela) and now I don't have any problems anymore. Even my insurance company has started calling me Angela and have pretty much just eliminated the whole Legal name except for Legal purposes. So the best thing to do in most instances is to put it in the system, but I am not sure what a bank will do as far as cashing a check. I would explain the situation first and see what they say. If that branch won't cash it after an explanation of what happened then I would try going to a different branch and just sign it over to yourself.

Angela

Angela