PDA

View Full Version : Cleavage at Work

angpai30
10-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Ok, so I was at work and I was showing a little cleavage and one of the other associates I work with directly in my department comes up to me and says "Why do you have cleavage showing?" I told her its because it helps with my outward appearance and enhances my girlish figure. She laughed and told me that "it is very unprofessional for me to be showing cleavage at work and that professional women "Never" show cleavage and to be a professional woman I should probably rethink the whole showing cleavage at work." She then said "I don't have a problem with you showing cleavage at work, but I do care about your professionalism and how you are presenting yourself as a woman and I am only trying to help and I didn't mean to offend you if I did." So my question really is on the topic of is it ok to show cleavage while at work and is it professional or unprofessional to do so and how should one present themselves in a professional setting?

Angela

krissy
10-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi , im not sure if its unprofessional but i do see a lot of women showing cleavage at work in the office they are professional women.i would never tell them what to wear .Just be proud of yourself .i quess if you have to hide the girls to keep job i quess say see you later girls .lol be strong and enjoy like

Beverley Sims
10-28-2012, 10:13 AM
I would take that lady's advice.
She seems like someone who would support you in a crisis.
Try to keep her as a friend.

Cristi
10-28-2012, 11:03 AM
We have dress codes at work, and some of the ones for women concern things like visible bra straps and types of jewelry (ears OK, no other piercings).

Though they can not come right out and say 'no cleavage', they do discourage 'low cut' tops.

I'd say that that particular message is not getting through. About 50% of the women I work with have mild to very extreme amounts of cleavage showing every day.

In my opinion, it IS unprofessional looking... and very distracting! ;)

Being Paige
10-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I would do what you think is right for you, but also listen to what your co worker has told you. She sound like she could be a good friend! I would dress more professionaly myself at work if that is what I could do.

TxCassie
10-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Unless you work in an business that is geared to fashion, the arts, social interaction,I'd stay away from any hint of overt sexuality, i.e. cleavage, short skirts, too tight clothing, loud colors. I'd dress smart, comfortable, tailored, i.e. professional.

sandra-leigh
10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
The fashion advice I have read repeatedly, is that cleavage at work is unprofessional. "Your intellect shouldn't have to compete with your cleavage (http://career-advice.monster.ca/job-interview/interview-appearance/cleavage-in-the-workplace-canada/article.aspx)". Possible exception: generating more tips as a waitress.

Where I worked, one of the assistants in HR liked to show her cleavage. Not flaunt it, but not hide it either. Pleasant woman, nice looking, enticing cleavage. But after a while I started avoiding her because it was difficult for me to avoid staring. And I'd still be absolutely thrilled to have cleavage like hers. (Thoughts of asking her out passed through my mind more than once. Good thing I reminded myself that I'm already in a relationship, as she turned out to be married.)

In my experience, there are exceptions, but they are difficult to quantify. For example, the used-clothing boutique I go to most often, the owner is an older large-busted woman who often has a bit of cleavage showing near her body. On her, it works just fine, and no-one would fail to take her seriously.

Annie D
10-28-2012, 01:36 PM
I would listen to her advice. When I read your account of her sharing her opinion with you, I immediately thought that you and she shared similar professional positions. I agree with others who have said that they have observed various degrees of cleavage in the work place but I am of the opinion that there are two or more standards for women in the workplace. One is the dress code for mid-management females who strive to become upper management; no cleavage, business suits with A-line and straight skirts, dress heels and hose at all times and one for support staff females; receptionists and secretaries (are they still called that?). The first gives visitors and clients an immediate indication of who is in charge. I think of the motion picture "Working Girl" and the advice from Sigourney Weaver to Melanie Griffith, " lose the jewelry and look professional at all times, when someone looks at you, they get an idea of my standards for my associates and for me as well." Not word for word or even close but what I got out of the exchange.

Carmen
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
It is so interesting how much a little cleavage can create so much controversy and send our minds in a tizzy!
Just a thought.

kimdl93
10-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Generally I'd agree that cleavage is inappropriate in a professional setting.

franlee
10-28-2012, 03:08 PM
It was very good advise and very well presented, take it. There is a time and place for most thing and she has pionted out the truth for good business practice.

Angela Campbell
10-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I do a lot of repair and plumbing work and I have great cleavage at work! You have to be behind me to see it though.

reb.femme
10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
I do a lot of repair and plumbing work and I have great cleavage at work! You have to be behind me to see it though.

Damn.....stole my thunder. Has been known in the UK as Dagenham cleavage or builder's bum!
I've worked in legal, finance, sales and IT departments and would agree, for professional ladies, no cleavage is best.
One of the most dominant woman in a Sales department had no need to show anything but her work ethic. She was a very successful and respected (or is that feared) member of management, she took no prisoners.

Rebecca

Rogina B
10-28-2012, 05:03 PM
You stand to gain a whole lot of points from her if you show her that you take her advice seriously. Sometimes showing less is a whole lot sexier,especially at work. You aren't a Hooter's girl!

sandra-leigh
10-28-2012, 06:05 PM
The Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121020269170475209.html?mod=rss_PJ_Main) says you have to be quite careful even at after-work events such as cocktail parties and award events.

I find other articles that say that up to 1 inch of breast showing is okay at work. Most of the articles seem to say don't do it at all. I myself do not think it is always inappropriate, but the 1 inch guideline seems like a good one to me.

BLUE ORCHID
10-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Hi Almost, You should go to Home Depot and get a 5 gallon bucket of (Butt Crack Spackle).

Leah Lynn
10-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Personally, I've never had a problem looking at cleavage in the office.

lingerieLiz
10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't think that for you cleavage should be shown at work. Most companies frown on it. While I don't know where you work, I would suggest you dress on the conservative side for your company. Yes I know in some companies or situations cleavage is accepted. Most professional women do not display cleavage at work. Secretaries could get away with more than managers.

Jenniferathome
10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
It's not just "cleavege" it's "how much cleavege." A hint of it is professional, a bikini's worth is not. Where on that spectrum were you? Women should never sell their "sex" at work. They won't be taken seriously.

Chickhe
10-29-2012, 01:23 AM
It all depends... are you a hard worker or are you going to climb the ladder using your charm? Its best to show as little skin as possible...legs, breasts... take your queue from what your co-workers are wearing.

linda allen
10-29-2012, 06:33 AM
I will assume that there are other females where you work, so it's simple. Look at how they dress. Do they show cleavage? If so, fine. If not, follow their lead.

I suspect your friend is right though, leave the breast viewing for after work.

Sally24
10-29-2012, 07:49 AM
A hint of cleavage is stylish and profestional. If you can see the girls pressed together your showing too much. I would tone it down but not eliminate it.

suchacutie
10-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Righly or wrongly, there has always been an inverse relationship to flamboyant dressing and how high you are on the professional pecking order. This goes for both genders. You'll never see a high corporate executive wearing plaid pants to work (unless he owns the company!). Likewise, if a woman walks into the office with overly done perfume, makeup, and too much skin of any kind, they would draw the immediate assumption of being somewhere near the bottom.

Exuding confidence and "sense" with one's dressing is the same as doing so in every other way.

Badtranny
10-29-2012, 08:40 AM
This thread is hilarious. I mean really. Should women be covered up to the collar?

I show cleavage almost every single day, it's impossible to avoid unless I dress like a nun. Women have boobs, men need to get over it.

Kerigirl2009
10-29-2012, 09:23 AM
In my opinion, Cleavage should not be shown on the job. Some people may not mind but some will and thse are the ones that the company will hear from, and then respond too. So unless you work at Hooters you need to cover up But this is just my opinion. Good luck

angpai30
10-29-2012, 11:37 AM
This thread isn't about cleavage really... Its more about the professionalism of an individual because I am currently searching for anpther Job and I wanted to know what kind of an impact it would have by showing it off vs covering up and being conservative. I'm new to the whole living my life as a woman deal and am trying to figure things out better for myself and the kind of respect I'll get in a professional setting. In which many of the posts have had valuable info in them concerning such respect as I knew already that employers tend to frown on cleavage; I just didn't know to what degree. Growing up I have heard this phraze several times "You must respect yourself before others learn to respect you in the same way." Which I agree with this and so I inquired!

Angela

heatherdress
10-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I respect the many comments people have made, but suggest that if you are interested in a professional presentation in many work environments, conservative attire works best.

http://main.stylelist.com/2010/08/30/cleavage-inappropriate-job-interview-clothing/
http://career-advice.monster.ca/job-interview/interview-appearance/cleavage-in-the-workplace-canada/article.aspx
http://blogs.findlaw.com/greedy_associates/2011/09/what-women-should-not-wear-miniskirt-cleavage-to-oci-interviews.html

I have heard negative comments and complaints from both male and female employees, interviewers, senior managers and corporate officers. Sexy and trendy styles do not work well in professional settings.