PDA

View Full Version : I hiked Mammoth Cave National Park KY

JamieQ
10-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Class got out unexpected real early today. I had like 8 hrs before it got dark and when I should be home, so I decided to drive down to Mammoth Cave Nat. Park in Kentucky and go hiking dressed enfemme in a denim skirt that goes to midknee. I figure (IMO) that area is not super CD friendly, but there are alot of visitors from other places, so I decided to hike it. Anyone else ever hiked there, enfemme or not?

I hiked about 3 hrs and the disappointing thing was that I only encountered 2 people on my very last scenic hike of less than a mile. Just a hello and on our way. Other than that the trails sort of followed the highway and quite a few cars went closely by me. It was cold down there and it is off season so mostly why no people hiking. I just knew I should have went into the visitor center dressed and got the map!

As for the hiking alone in the skirt part...well it was okay...somewhat enjoyable, but I have figured out that at this point that my comfort level indicates I need a bit more interaction with people. I will definitely go again, but for now I will most likely go back to the city/county parks where I encounter 10 -50 people or so per outing...probably less now...its getting colder..:) I probably stuck out a little bit as a solo woman hiker...but then again I was at least 80% out in the open. Unfortunately the camera I took will not take a very good picture so that one is going in the trash..everything came out real dark. One reason I went was to take pictures of myself in the woods...but theres always next time....and I cannot hardly wait...:)

Tracii G
10-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Been there many times if you get the chance take the 8 hr tour its awesome.

LelaK
10-29-2012, 06:55 PM
If you cannot hardly wait, it means you can easily wait. So I think you meant you can hardly wait, which means not easily.

I suppose I'd be a bit excited to go en femme in public among anonymous people, if some or most of them were female or MtFs and not real old.

But I think I'd prefer to do so among female or MtF friends who know me, but I don't know if that's likely to happen. At least I'm seriously thinking about it, whereas I hadn't before coming here.

Miriam-J
10-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I've hiked some of the back-country trails there, far from the caves. These are much more pleasant than the noisy area around the caves (well, maybe not this time of year), but I don't think I'd take them on without some very sensible shoes - like sneakers or hiking boots. It can be very pretty and frequently quite private even during mid-summer, but not so private that anyone would be able to reasonably take advantage of you.

It'd be interesting to try it en femme sometime, but last time I was there was with my son who doesn't know this side of his Dad.

Miriam

JamieQ
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I hiked the areas away from the main visitors center out towards Park City. There were a bunch of trails made out of like decking flooring I walked on across from a scenic lookout, then the bike trails going towards the center, a deck loop around a pond and then a real short one going out, I think it was called Rescue Cave, part of the Floyd Collins story, thats were I met the only 2 people I encountered all day. I think its relatively safe, sort of remote but kind of out in the open along the highway. I really wish I had someone to go with but I have absolutely no one. Next time I will just probably start at the visitors center or at the campground entrance and go towards out towards Park City (south or east?)...like tomorrow would not be soon enough!