PDA

View Full Version : Orchiectomy first, then HRT?

ChelseaErtel
11-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Has anyone done the Orchiectomy before going on HRT to avoid HRT possible severe side affecrs?

I'm on the path to transition (probably 2-3 years away at best), but I'm curious if anyone had done this? I don't have sex, don't masturbate, and don't want a new relationship so I won't miss my naughty bits. I'd have them off now if I could, but won't - I am going to be practical.

Actually, I have been at a much more peaceful place since I've stopped any kind of sexual activity.

JackieMarie
11-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I have heard of this as a means to avoid needing spiro or another t blocker. It would be nice to only need to take estrogen. My concern would be if you plan to do bottom surgery you would probably want to wait. I have read that over time on hrt your available skin will begin to shrink. When looking on doctor's websites they have said the best time to do surgery is after a year, the more time the less material they have to work with. I am by no means a doctor tho, and haven't reached my 1 year on hrt yet. But i thought id share what ive been going of off. I know different people have different plans, but as far as any issues or concerns, that's all i can think of.

Rianna Humble
11-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Has anyone done the Orchiectomy before going on HRT to avoid HRT possible severe side effects?

I don't have any personal experience of this, but I believe that many surgeons prefer you not to have an orchi years before the full SRS. On the other hand, I think there is at least one other member here who has opted for that although I don't think it had anything to do with side-effects from the t-blockers.

What sort of side-effects are you worried about?

Stephanie-L
11-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I am wondering what bad side effects you are worried about. As others have posted, some SRS surgeons don't want you to have an orchi, they may use the tissue in creating the neovagina. Personally, I am getting so much benefit from my HRT emotionally I could go without SRS if I had to (though I am still definately planning on it). From your post, I really suggest you get into some therapy and discuss this at length before you do anything you can't reverse...........Stephanie

natasha
11-04-2012, 08:49 PM
orchi, no problems that i can relate to. hmones, no problems so far. The only problem is the inability to present properly.

Kaitlyn Michele
11-04-2012, 08:56 PM
anti testosterone drugs can have really strong side effects..electrolyte issues being a big one..

I know a half dozen people that got "orchis" 3 have gone on to srs, 3 not...none of them ever complained about it.

it is a major surgery, and the healing is difficult..but from what i've seen they just pack up some ice in there and send you home, its not like srs where you get hospital care for many days..

CharleneT
11-05-2012, 04:42 AM
It is a pretty (expensive) operation to avoid complications from meds. The main culprit in "HRT" troubles is Spironolactone, although it does have side effects that are noticeable, most can handle them. Usually you adapt to it after a couple of months and there's no real issue. I think you should talk to your doc(s) about this sort of question. As others have mentioned, some SRS surgeons find an orchi prior to SRS problematic. It all depends on how the orchi is done, and how the SRS is done. There are some who have probs with estrogen, but an orchi will not deal with those issues. Also worth considering ... Spiro is way cheaper than an orchi ;)

noeleena
11-05-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi,

Another side to this, your a few years younger than i im 65, & did not need any blockers, because they did not work for me, because of being intersexed, funny that.
well our bodys do work a bit different, any way, my on hormones did a better job than those spro,

As for E about 8 years now & two different type & dose rate over that time at different times,

As to your body youll find out over time what itll do or not,

Okay the more skin you have the better itll be for surgerys, & if not enough then a skin graft will be needed, there is another way & thats internale surgery only if its a ...have ... to need too,

& theres one more detail instead of a full S R S. you can have surgerys for a non sexual it looks just the same just a no sex or sexlife. no penitrative sex,

for those of us who are non sexuals, now that could be a talking point for some . or a debate on surgerys, or not .

...noeleena...

ChelseaErtel
11-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Thank you everyone. This give me a better list of questions to present next visit to the Dr. Office.

JohnH
11-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Chelsea,

You might want to start HRT without the orchie to see if it feels right for you. Most likely it will as it has been my case, but if it does not feel right you can back out until maybe 4 months when the changes become permanent. If you get an orchie that of course is not reversible.

John

Linda St. John
11-05-2012, 01:53 PM
As was said above _ try HRT first - chances are you'll feel a lot better. I started HRT in 1998, but decided on an orchi in 2004 although no problems with the meds. I was 49 then and figured I would go for SRS within two years ( my Doctors advice) but life went weird on me and I didn't get around to it....probably won't now ...unless I win a lottery or something.
But absolutely no regrets about the orchi ....worked well for me.
Linda

Leanne2
11-06-2012, 06:57 AM
What are the side effects of taking Spiro? Leanne

ChelseaErtel
11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
After my wife and I get settled, just told her and she is very supportive, I will do HRT. We are going to go slowly.

Thanks for all the replies.