PDA

View Full Version : Dancing = Failing

AllisontheGoddess
11-06-2012, 02:18 AM
So I went to a party at a local club the other night. I was having a wonderful time talking and watching people have it up. It was great because I blended in extremely well with the GG's. . .. . . . . until everyone started dancing. . . . .

:straightface:

--by dancing I mean hips shakin', the whole 9 yards!

Soon I realized that I was the only one not dancing--so I did what anyone else in Rome would do.

It was a DISASTER! It was then that I realized I lacked one of the most common female qualities--the ability to dance

So my question is do any of you all dance when you go to clubs and if so HOW?!?!?!

sandra-leigh
11-06-2012, 03:21 AM
I can waltz just well enough to not fall over or step on anyone's foot, but not well enough to know what I am doing. None of the rest of my elementary-school gym-class dance lessons stayed with me. I don't dance when I go to clubs; I have no idea how to do any modern (i.e., last 100 years) dance. I would rather get up and speak in public than dance in a club.

LunaDarling
11-06-2012, 03:30 AM
you know, i had a similar problem. i was at burningman en femme and i was on the dancefloor and it seemed like no one noticed me untill the drop, and all the girls did their hip shaking and here i am like dude bending my knees and back bouncing. woman sway, shake their butts, shuffle their shoulders and tend to dance slower than men. i have to consciously remember to hit the beat counts with my hips instead of my shoulders. mens' center of gravity is in their shoulders and womans' in their hips. so try to balance with your hips and not your shoulders. i suggest watching belly dance to understand feminine movement too. i wouldnt worry too much though, none of those girls at the club can dance anyways. ;) Muah!

AllisontheGoddess
11-06-2012, 04:02 AM
you know, i had a similar problem. i was at burningman en femme and i was on the dancefloor and it seemed like no one noticed me untill the drop, and all the girls did their hip shaking and here i am like dude bending my knees and back bouncing. woman sway, shake their butts, shuffle their shoulders and tend to dance slower than men.

THIS!!^^^ lol u described my entire experience right there lol

sandra-leigh
11-06-2012, 04:06 AM
mens' center of gravity is in their shoulders and womans' in their hips

Not unless you are using a non-standard definition of "center of gravity". In order for mens' center of gravity to be in their shoulders, there would have to be as much weight above their shoulders as below. Even using a loose definition of "shoulders" to include the shoulder bones, there just isn't that much weight difference in triceps and deltoid (upper arm muscles that could plausibly be called above the bottom of the shoulder blades), or difference in the weight of the head, to move the center of gravity by a good foot or more. And men tend to have a lot of weight in their legs.

You might make a case for the center of balance being in different places.

Rogina B
11-06-2012, 06:18 AM
The natural sense of rhythm and the fluidity of movement is one of the gifts given to women.Most women also are gifted with the sense"that they look good" while dancing,that many of us don't have. We can dress the part,but for most of us,we'll never move the same way. Have fun anyway,and if they are all out on the floor dancing,who is left to judge? lol

girltoy
11-06-2012, 06:21 AM
I remember the "best" advice given to me about dancing at a club: grab on to her hips and try to keep up!!

Well, I joke about having 2 left feet (and neither are mine), and that being a white male I already have 2 strikes against me...but it's true. So I figured out my own solution! Get a few drinks at the bar, lean against the wall, and smile a LOT so you at least look like you're having fun! :D

Kate Simmons
11-06-2012, 06:25 AM
I was taught by lesbians. It's easy. You just wiggle your a$$, move your arms and go naturally with the flow of the music and become one with it. All that is left after that is to enjoy it.;):)

Beverley Sims
11-06-2012, 06:25 AM
If you can dance the Hula you have got it made.

Daisy41
11-06-2012, 06:38 AM
This is why my first time out in a club, I told my GG friends I refused to dance! I suppose with enough practice you could pull off an en femme dance, but like everyone has said, men and women move differently and it really shows in dancing. Not to mention, I don't particularly enjoy dancing in drab, much less en femme :-\

Veronnie2
11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
I do go dancing and what I had learned many years ago is that we must learn NOT to try to lead when dancing with a partner. You are the female represented so you should follow your counterpart. If you can be successful in that, you will give the appearances of being a good female dancer. You also must remember, dancing in 4 or 5 inch heels makes it more of a challenge. If you notice many women remove their shoes for dancing with finess. Dancing fast dances that require hip shaking and lots of body movements can be practiced in from of a full length mirror so you can perfect your graceful moves. Oh, and LOL don't forget to practice the infamous bootie shake. veronnie2

kimdl93
11-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Don't feel alone. I simply cannot dance...the movements are entirely foreign to me. At best, I can tap my foot. Fortunately, at my advanced age, my wife and I don't do a lot of clubbing.

NITRO
11-06-2012, 10:12 AM
i find dancing best if i just feel the music just get into it
let yourself free

tammy.b
11-06-2012, 10:46 AM
youtube and at least 1 full length mirror are your friends =). Then it's just practice, practice, practice. Women seem to be able to isolate their movements better somehow when it comes to their hips, chest and shoulders. Of course I'm still a work in progress..... slow progress. But hey, if I can play hockey I should be able to figure it out eventually. At least that's how I keep myself trying.

docrobbysherry
11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
It's quite simple, Allison. Just wear some 4"+ heels! They automatically change your posture, stance, and limit your movement. Then, just copy the movements of the GGs on the floor!

While I don't claim to be a good dancer either dressed or not, but I'm good enuff to have fun and not offend anyone. I spent a couple of hours on the floor as Sherry at a Halloween dance. But, I had to skip all the slow numbers. U have to be GOOD to dance the female role in swing, waltz, etc., couples dances!

Chickhe
11-07-2012, 02:54 AM
You have to do lots of leg and hip stretching to loosen up. At first, I tried to copy my wife, but it was impossible to move my hips after years of guy dancing...after stretching its easier and you can walk better too. The problem I have after that is actually learning the moves which takes most woman milliseconds and me hours...