PDA

View Full Version : Waist and Physical Training dilemma

AnneB1nderful
11-09-2012, 12:23 AM
I've been wearing a corset for a couple of hours a day for about a week. I've lost 1 whole inch in my mid-section!!!

But, its not just the corset. I've cut down my food intake a little. I'm gonna make a lot of you envious. But, I've always been pretty thin. Only way I get fat is to be real lazy. I can still eat like a man, and keep my girlish figure. :heehee:

Back on subject.... I started working out a few months ago with a personal trainer. I admire her so much. Small package, but a powerhouse of a woman. Anyway, I really haven't lost much weight. But, trainer noticed today that I looked a lot thinner so she took measurements. But, I'm losing a lot of body fat.

Here's the dilemma:
She's training me as a man. A few months ago was doing everything possible to keep fem personality from coming out. My goal was to build upper body strength and mass, tone core, and increase stamina. Well, the upper body strength goal has changed. How can I tell her I want forgo the building muscle mass and instead develop a more girlish figure? Especially when the gym is full of sweaty men bodybuilding (ewe). I'm not ready to announce to the world that I'm a CDer.

Any advice?

Love,
-Anne

DanaR
11-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Tell her you have changed your goals and you're not looking for the upper body mass, you want to work on the mid section and lower body. If she wants more info on what you are trying to achieve, then tell her. If it becomes too awkward, be prepared to change gyms.

AnneB1nderful
11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Dana,
I actually think she might be ok with that. I don't know if I am though. Thanks for your advice.

suzy1
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Stop wasting your money on a personal trainer?

Walking or running to tone and build the muscles in your legs.
Tummy exercises to flatten your tummy. No upper body exercises.
And eat yourself slim.

Well it worked for me.:strugglin

kimdl93
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
well, Anne, talk to your trainer. If she's a capable professional, she will take your comments as confidential and work with you to develop a training plan that will be consistent with your goals. Don't expect to train your way into a totally feminine figure, but you may be able to focus on areas that could help a bit.

And honestly, sweaty bodybuilding men are often so fixated on themselves (CDrs aren't the only narcissists out ther), that they won't notice what you're doing.

Stephanie47
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
One reason you have not lost much weight in relation to changes in body appearance is due to the fact muscle weighs more than fat. When I was young I ate like a horse. My body burned off all that fuel. Well, metabolism changes. Last year I was diagnosed as a diabetic on the low end of the scale The recommendation was to lose weight and exercise. I have lost weight through portion control, and, exercised with the goal of getting good muscle tone.

There is a problem with getting a lot of upper body muscle mass. You have to continuously exercise to keep it muscle. Otherwise it will turn to fat. That creates health issues. Check out the longevity of NFL players.

My recommendation is to choose a goal in the type of body that works well for you. That means a healthy body. Check out the websites dealings with health and body types. Women are naturally larger than forty years ago. Fifty years ago I was six foot one and 140 pounds. I did not look good. My wife called it the 'concentration camp look.' At six foot one and 175 pounds I looked and felt great. I wore a 38 Tall suit with a 30 inch waist and 34 inch in seam.

Most women I have known over the years, and, also have read in the media do not like guys with immense upper body mass and washboard abs.

I'll go with maintaining good muscle tone. Also remember there is a need for some fat on the body. It's a hedge against illness.

Daisy41
11-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Ask to focus on your cardiovascular system. Over the past years all of my exercise has been focused on lower body: running, hiking, uhm, dance dance revolution... with that, my hip measurements are 44 and my chest is 45 with my waist at 37 so my proportions aren't typical A-frame. Genetics do play a part but I think my focus on aerobic exercising with leg based work outs have create the shape and it wasn't because I wanted to look more fem.

Darla
11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Listen to Daisy - and ask your trainer to help you achieve more weigh loss accompanied by lower body mass. Work with her and tell her you want more cardio, and try Pilates, spinning, abdominals, and even some less masculine training. I'm thinking of this regimen called VBarre - ballet inspired exercise. Stick to the less masculine stuff and you'll start either building the lower half with increased glutes and leg definition (very sexy legs) or aerobic upper body to keep thin and lithe. And have confidence! Be who you want to be. Unless you have a lot of friends and coworkers pumping iron, and you feel the need to be one of the "men" - be who you want to be! Nothing feels better than being part of the girly crowd if you can. Ome across as genuine (meaning you're not there for the ladies- just there for yourself). Enjoy - and try the Zumba if you dare!

Darla

Daisy41
11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh I dared to try Zumba once and left with my tail tucked between my legs. Zumba will wear you out and work parts of your body you didn't know you had.

Meghan
11-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Here's the dilemma:
She's training me as a man. A few months ago was doing everything possible to keep fem personality from coming out. My goal was to build upper body strength and mass, tone core, and increase stamina. Well, the upper body strength goal has changed. How can I tell her I want forgo the building muscle mass and instead develop a more girlish figure? Especially when the gym is full of sweaty men bodybuilding (ewe). I'm not ready to announce to the world that I'm a CDer.

Hi Anne,

I faced this a few months ago, but my trainer is aware of my female side, so it was fairly easy to communicate what the goals were (and, for the record, hiring a personal trainer was the best thing I have ever done for myself! Down 32 pounds and 6 inches as of today).

That said, you could simply tell her that you have reached your goal state for the upper body, and that you'd like to work on your stamina and core with an emphasis on tone over bulk. There are a zillion reasons not to get too bulky.

Sounds like you are on the right track by the way. Core strength is absolutely critical for a lot of things, especially balance in heels!

My advice to anyone wanting to walk better in heels: exercise your core! That's where your balance is.

Good luck and keep up the good work...I will always be a believer in personal fitness.

Meghan

AnneB1nderful
11-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks Suzy. But, I don't pay a thing for the personal trainer. I hate running. So, she encourages me to run. She's maybe 5' and takes 3 strides to my every 1. But, she is keeps me motivated.

AnneB1nderful
11-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Appreciate all your advice and will talk to her about my changing goals. I'll try to keep it obscure. But, if she asks, I may just be honest with her and see what happens.

Love y'all,
- Anne

docrobbysherry
11-09-2012, 09:50 PM
My advice,Anne? Do what I did when I wanted a more fem figure: Stop working out entirely!

When I stopped physical work outs, my appetite dropped. I lost weight and muscle tone. Softer, more fem figure now. Unfortunately, my upper arm definition still shows as I'm slim. (See avatar!) However, I'll willingly trade male upper arms for fem legs, waist, and etc.

If u feel u must "stay in shape" do some cardio excersize that doesn't build muscle tone and definition!

Krististeph
11-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Simple answer- to tone and reduce- do LOTS of lighter reps. Never less than 25, I'll do 100 to 200 ab crunches and back extensions per round. Plus, you get some aerobic workout. Eat lightly the 1st two0three hours after working out- that tends to be the best time to eat to build muscle. I never upright bench press more than 190 any more- usually only 110-130, but i'll do 50-100 reps. My arms have trimmed down from when i was pressing near 300. (this is machine weight- not real weight).

Machines tend to isolate muscles more- so save the free weights for home- get your money's worth by using the machines.

IMHO

Meghan
11-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Appreciate all your advice and will talk to her about my changing goals. I'll try to keep it obscure. But, if she asks, I may just be honest with her and see what happens.

Love y'all,
- Anne

That's probably your best possible move :) A personal trainer, in this day and age, won't get rid of a client, and you may end up giving her a fun challenge coming up with workout plans for you.

I talk to my trainer all the time about heels and makeup etc. It's something fun for both of us to talk about when we're working out.

Meghan

luscious
11-10-2012, 12:05 AM
tell her you do not want to create MASS in the upper body. to squat with heavy weights for your buttocks and hips

just work out with less weight and do more repetitions and strengthen your core. basically do plates exercises.

corsets prevent you from eating large portions of food at one sitting ,there by shrinking your stomach resulting in weight loss and inches lost on your waist.

IngeInCO
11-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Work out harder...and smarter. It's hard but the only way

laura.lapinski
11-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Do hip inductions. That will build the muscle on the upper outside of your legs which will enhance your waiste and make it more hour-glass look. Do cardio for fat burning. Don't work your arms out too much, but do tone them. There is a machine where you put your foot on this flat lifting panel while you are laying on your stomach and thrust upward with one leg. It's designed to firm your buns. Those exercises will have you looking pretty!

AnneB1nderful
11-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Been a while, but just have to update this before I go to sleep. Since my last post on this thread, I've lost 10 pounds and 2" in waist. I can't believe it! I'm really sorry everyone, but I'm really not trying that hard. Haven't seen trainer in over 1 1/2 weeks due to Thanksgiving vacation. Saw her today and all she could say was "Wow! You look great. What have you been doing?" I told her I just cut down calorie intake a little. Then, I told her there's a new girl in my life and she doesn't want me to bulk up. She said, "That's fine, but you should see a doctor. It's not healthy to lose so much weight so fast." I told her I'm eating 3 well-balanced meals, small snacks and taking multivitamins. I feel great! She still couldn't believe it. I can't believe it! So, I'm going to take a break from trainer, but continue doing some workouts on my own. I'm already starting to get girly figure without corset. Not quite small enough yet. Probably get a body briefer. Thanks for all your advice.