PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Designers May Be The Key To Our CD Acceptance Issues

Diversity
11-12-2012, 04:16 AM
So many threads about us CD'ers wanting to be accepted in society and free to dress the way we wish. The gays and lesbian movement successfully achieved their acceptance in society because they persevered and coordinated their efforts. Essentially, they had the courage to 'front up'.
In our case, perhaps an even faster way to gain acceptance is to get some well known fashion designers to come out with high heel shoes, skirts, and blouses for men. In the sixties high-heeled boots were a fad, but unfortunately the fad died.
I know that if a well known fashion designer chose to come out with a CD range of clothing for the 'modern man', I'd be there to support the designer in a flash!
Perhaps someone in this community has a connection? Any comments or other ideas?

ArleneRaquel
11-12-2012, 04:27 AM
Maybe I'm just an old fashioned girl, but I want to wear womems clothing made for women, not female clothing made for men. If I sounded harsh I'm sorry, I don't mean it to sound that way.

Diversity
11-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Hi ArleneRaquel,
You are not harsh at all! I did not mean that it couldn't be a female designer. There are many male and female designers of womens clothing. Yes, it does seem logical that female designers would know more about heels, skirts, and blouses, but this may not necessarily be the case. I only thought that the designer(s) (male or female) could market the ladies clothes to the male market in this way or some similar way. Advertising males wearing jeans and skirts with blouses and high heels. I thought this might make a good first step for our CD cause.
Then later, we can migrate to dresses, makeup, etc.... (but not too long):)

Beverley Sims
11-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Well I remember skirts for men was going to be a big thing......
I am still waiting for the big thing....
As Arlene says "we want to wear female clothes " and you have acknowledged this.
I am open to other suggestions as well.
More slim styled suits and a hat may see the effeminate man come out more.
Mens handbags are used by men, I use a shoulder or clutch bag from the women's side of the store.

Vickie_CDTV
11-12-2012, 06:12 AM
I remember various designers have tried to sell skirts to men (designed for men's bodies) over the years with no great success. Even tights and nail polish have been put out there and targeted towards men with little response. For someone like me, it is really unfortunate, I'd love the option of having a "pants free" lifestyle.

Rogina B
11-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Don't forget "bodyshirts" A button down shirt with bottom attached...Was supposed to eliminate the need to keeping the shirt tucked in...You see a lot of them? WRONG!

Sara Jessica
11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Yours is quite the common lament. The thing is, most men have zero interest in blurring the gender lines when it comes to their own clothing choices. The POV that we collectively possess when it comes to clothing, for better or for worse, is highly unlikely to infect the general population.

Kate Simmons
11-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Acceptance depends more on us and what we do or don't do, I think Hon, more than it does on what others do. Fashion designers notwithstanding.:)

bridget thronton
11-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Not wanting to stir the pot - but there are several companies making rugged outdoor skirts for men in the US some are called things like utilikilts but they do not look like all that much like scottish kilts (I have never seen any one make derogatory comments to the wearer). I think acceptance is there and growing.

DonniDarkness
11-12-2012, 09:59 AM
The key to it becoming widely accepted, is for people to wear what they want proudly.

It doesnt matter how or by who fashion is evolved, it takes people saying "I like this" to make it work. Mens or women's fashion should be embraced if we are crossdressers. The thought of not wanting to wear a femme fashion "just because" its designed with a male in mind, is ludicrous.

Fashion is fashion, wear what you want.

-Donni-

Angela Campbell
11-12-2012, 10:17 AM
For me it isn't wanting to wear dresses so much as it is wanting to look like a lady. I wear the clothes because that is how I can look more like a lady. I do not want to look like a man in a dress, or kilt. (even though I am of Scottish descent)

I Am Paula
11-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Every few years some designer comes up with skirts for men, stilettos for men, and other forms of androgyny. Before anyone calls them a failure, you have to understand the two sides of the fashion industry. When we watch fashion shows live, or on T.V. we are most often seeing concepts. Every designer shows off a 'look what I can do' line, very much like concept cars at car shows. These fashions are one off and will never see the light of day, hence we never see a real women in see through mumu with a live fish on her head. Alot of designers have featured 'female' clothes on male models, but they are 'concept', and never see the store shelves. If you watch a 'pret a porter' show, these are the fashions you will see next season, and usually the male models are back in pants and shirts.
I think celebrities supporting female attire on men do much more for the cause. David Bowie, Prince, RuPaul, and Rocky Horror PS, have done wonders. At least men can now wear eyeliner, earrings, colored jeans, dyed hair, carry a purse, and not be shot on sight. We're gaining ground, albeit slowly.-Celeste

kimdl93
11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Maybe I'm just an old fashioned girl, but I want to wear womems clothing made for women, not female clothing made for men. If I sounded harsh I'm sorry, I don't mean it to sound that way.

I'm with Arlene on this one. A line of men's clothes modeled afterwomen's styles would not appeal to me. But to the main point, I am a proponent of a soft approach. I beleive we can gain acceptance gradually by getting out into the community and interact in a positive way with others.

Nocturnal Kaylee
11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't know if I'd say gays and lesbians have found acceptance in society. They're still treated like second class citizens in most states.

Wildaboutheels
11-12-2012, 12:17 PM
1] Much/most of women's clothing is designed to make a FEMALE body more attractive [IF a woman chooses the right ones] because women NEED to be "more attractive" to attract more mates or to keep the one she has. Makeup serves the same purpose as clothing. It can accentuate the positive as well as hide the negative for a woman who knows what she is doing.

2] Men already CAN DRESS AS THEY WISH most anywhere except [probably] their jobsite. Because they are FEARFUL of what others might say or - heaven forbid - THINK, doesn't mean they can't wear whatever they want.

The acceptance issues are in the minds of CDers.

Debra Russell
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Who want to wear clothes designed for men that are styled like womens - I want curves in my fashion and clothes that fit women - that's what cding is all about..............................Debra

Nocturnal Kaylee
11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
1] Much/most of women's clothing is designed to make a FEMALE body more attractive [IF a woman chooses the right ones] because women NEED to be "more attractive" to attract more mates or to keep the one she has. Makeup serves the same purpose as clothing. It can accentuate the positive as well as hide the negative for a woman who knows what she is doing.

That is incredibly misogynistic

Roberta Marie
11-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Acceptance depends more on us and what we do or don't do, I think Hon, more than it does on what others do. Fashion designers notwithstanding.:)

I couldn't agree more, Kate.

Roberta Marie
11-12-2012, 01:19 PM
I got tired of not being able to find clothes, particulary dresses, that fit my male body right. If they fit my broad shoulders they would look like a feed sack below the waist. If they fit my waist and hips I wouldn't be able to button the top buttons or zip it up. So, a few years ago I learned to sew. I always use a pattern for a woman's dress that I think will look good on me, but I alter the pattern so that it fits me. So far I've been mostly happy with the results, now with several dresses that fit me right.

But, I don't think that having dresses that fit right and look good are going to get me equal rights or the approval of society nearly as much as what I do while wearing those dresses.

Helen_Highwater
11-12-2012, 01:38 PM
It's right what's been said about the Gay/Lesbian movements perseverance with their attempts to achieve greater acceptance but they have one big advantage. Generally speaking put a gay man in a 10 man line up and it's going to be difficult to pick him out. Given that we have some very beautiful ladies here, picking a CD'er out from a lineup of GG's isn't going to be so difficult.
We also face the issue of a double stigma; dresses in female clothes, must be gay. Those who have prejudices are gifted with targets for holding their intolerant irrational views. It's going to be a very brave none CD'ing straight man who takes the plunge and wears a skirt and blouse to the office or to a football match.
And for so many of us it goes beyond just the clothes. It's the femininity, the feel, the movement style and grace, the getting away from the testosterone fueled environment inhabited by "Redneck dork" and "Drunken yob".