PDA

View Full Version : Been away for awhile...life changes

Charisma
11-15-2012, 03:25 AM
My personal health has deteriorated, first my rotator cuff and then the shoulder joint itself (makes putting on a bra to hold the girls up rather hard) its been one long battle trying to get it fixed. Surgeon kept telling me nothing was wrong and I can blame his lack of procedure on that for not doing an MRI with contrast.

Ultrasound showed torn cuff and not normal labrum (labral tear) I lost 90% of the strength in my left arm, I've managed to get back about 30% of it recently but the fight is tiring me out. Im running out of money and jobs are not plentiful.

I quit the gym because the injuries started there, gain all the weight back and I am currently trying to lose it by riding my butt thin, bought a Trek mountain bike for cross country riding and havent looked back at a gym for any reason. People think Mtn biking is really hard and requires muscle to do well so others keep wondering how I can do that but not able to lift 10lbs overhead with my left arm, which is easy to explain I'm not picking the bike up at all, just shifting my body weight around.

I have Physical Therapy twice a week and that's been going on since April '12 except for a 4 week period where things went to hell really fast. 4 weeks ago I contracted strep throat I had that beat in about 6 days but continued the meds, exactly 2 weeks later, I got to visit the ER for intestinal bleeding which was caused by a contamination of gluten because I have the Celiacs bit (first time period pads came in handy) keeping me away from everything i enjoy doing.

Get to dress up in full view of public when riding my bike, like tonite was UA womens Coldgear tights, capris, ladies cold weather jacket its got thumb holes in the sleeves :) and my Fiona bra with a cami underneath, followed by 5lb backpack, helmet, gloves & knee/shin armor. I even got chased by a dog, the only thing I figure is he smelled the Axe for her body spray I used.

Brenda79135
11-15-2012, 05:50 AM
So sorry to hear about your problems. Ask your doctor about a e-stim device for your shoulder. When I had the ACL replaced in my knee, my doctor ordered an e-stim to rebuild the muscles the thigh that had atrophied. Any day you wake up is a good day. Take care of yourself and recover soon,

Debra Russell
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Charisma - I had to have a complete shoulder replacement and a bicep tore off (can't fix) It all started with bad tear in the rotator cuff - unattended - and joint deterioration due to arthritis. I am also a personal trainer - gym rat / body builder; whereas I had extensive rehab from a therapist I opted to rehab my self when the therapist could do no more - don't give up !! I still work out - lite but lots of reps - no I can't bench 250 anymore but I have a full and complete range of motion, my doctor was amazed. Strength is not an issue but mobility and normal activite has resumed - with "normal" strength - if you stop it diminishes. Don't quit the gym - get a good trainer to walk you through an appropriate program so you can continue on your own.

I hope you get a handle on your other illnessess good luck and best of all to you ....................................Debra

Barbara Ella
11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Sorry to hear about the troubles hanging around you Charisma. Don't give up on range of motion exercises. I have arthiritis in the shoulder joint, and the socket is narrowing, causing some pain, and don't want to think about what comes next. Keep on biking.

Barbara

mikiSJ
11-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Charisma

I am new to this board so I haven't seen your posts before.

My shoulder(s) problem was first diagnosed as a congenital defect where the muscle grew under my clavicle, rather than over the bone - HUH! This diagnosis was from a Yale trained orthopod. I then went to Stanford Medical Center and found out the pain was caused by bone chips which were flushed out in one procedure and I have been pain free for nearly 30 years.

I am telling you this because there are some weird doctors out there - and apparently we both found one those guys! You live in AZ and hopefully close to a university medical school. You may want to try talking with the hospital Chief of Orthopeadics and since you are getting low on funds, offer yourself as training material.