PDA

View Full Version : First time out in public - TGDOR in Cleveland

Amy R Lynn
11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Its been a while since I've posted here. I've been reading, and hiding in the wings. I thought I would share my adventure that I had yesterday. I went out in public for the first time yesterday! (Yay!!!!) I went up to Cleveland to walk in the Transgender Day of Rememberance vigil.

This was a ceremony to honor all of our brothers and sisters that are no longer with us due to ignorant acts of violence. It was quite an enlightening evening. It really put into perpective the challenges that we all face when it comes to acceptance not only in the US but arounnd the world. I walked with a sign representing Menakshiammal from Krishnagiri, India. She was burned and had her throat slit in April 2012. All because of how she presented herself. Its sad that people in this world won't take the time to find out who we are. While acceptance has come a long way, we still have a mountain to climb. God bless those that have fallen, may they rest in peace and never be forgotten!

On a happier note, yesterday was my first time out in public. After the TGDOR ceremony a group of us went to a club that was having a celebration to honor those that have fallen. I was very nervous at first. The dress that I wore was a bit on the short side, and I was very self concious about it. I put it on thinking yeah this will be fine, but as I started driving (took me about 40 mins to get there) I started having second thoughts. Thought it might have been a little too short. As the night went on, and I started getting compliments, I really felt good about what I was wearing. It was a huge confidence builder for me! Only regret that I have is that I didn't get more pictures. I only have one of me.

On my way home, I had to stop at the drug store to get some contact lense solution, as I was out. I could have waited until after I got home and changed, but it was already late and the only 24hr pharmacy close to me is about 15 minutes away. After getting changed and everything it would have been another hour or more. So I decided to just stop and get what I needed while dressed. That was pretty exciting. I did get a couple of looks, but no one said anything to me. So I had a great confidence building day!

I'm posting the one pic that I got. I hope this doesn't violate some forum rule because its not in the pictures section. I appologize if it does...

Miriam-J
11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm glad you had a good first time out. From your picture it appears that you managed to look good enough to avoid discovery. The looks at the pharmacy were probably as much from the unusual clothing since few girls wear short skirts up here in the northern US this time of year.

I certainly understand the jitters as I've only had a few times out myself. I really like the skirts too, but am quite conscious that I'm awfully alone at most venues when wearing them.

Keep cranking, and don't let those butterflies slow you down.

Miriam

PretzelGirl
11-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Yes, being dressed up at the drug store can draw stares by itself. So congrats on breaking the ice. The ceremony was a good first step but I see the drug store being a bigger step and maybe a sign that you want more? Am I reading too much into that? Now it is a cake walk! Okay, maybe not. But having the first out of the way helps. One thing you will find about nerves is that the more often you go out, the calmer they are. If even a seasoned member goes out after having not done it for a long time, they can even get some butterflies.

Amy R Lynn
11-18-2012, 09:58 PM
@Sue, actually I think you are right on the money. I really would like to venture out some more. Its just not always possible. A part of me really wanted to take advantage of the free time that I had. Being a single father, with custody, makes going out a whole other challenge. I really would like to go and do some shopping dressed. That may be my next adventure.

NathalieX66
11-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Yay! You did it.! ....what Sue said.

90% of the barrier is your own mind.

Going out gets easier each time you do it , and you also learn to hone your craft. I see much potential here. keep doing what you do.

Peace & love,
Nathalie

JenniferR771
11-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Amy, you go girl! You looked nice. I went to the TGDOR in Grand Rapids a few hours ago. (Trans Gender Day Of Remembrance). It was a moving experience. It was organized by the Plymouth UC Church, and the Transgender Education Collaborative. Volunteers read names of those who were killed by anti transgender violence around the world this year. I had to go in drab, as my Ms is not cooperative.

Bree Wagner
11-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Congratulations Amy!

That feeling of not wanting the night to end and the desire to do just one more thing before taking it all off sure is common and powerful. I'm glad your confidence ended on a high and hope you get to do it again sometime.

Keep having fun!

-Bree

Amy R Lynn
11-18-2012, 11:02 PM
It really was a very moving experience. Its sad that we have to have a Day Of Rememberance at all. If we were all accepted 100% by society the event wouldn't even exist. There were a couple of things that really stuck out to me during the ceremony. 1.) This is something that is world wide. Its not just where you live. Every nation in the world has lost a member in the transgender community from violence. 2.) Most of the attacks were vicious and brutal.

If nothing else it reminds us that we all need to be safe when we are out.

Here is a picture of the sign I marched with. I was happy to honor the memory of Menakshiammal, but sad that I had to at all.

Rhonda Ann
11-19-2012, 01:25 AM
So happy for you, it's great your first outting was a confidence builder. I wished I lived in an area where there would be an event for CD/TG. Yeah, I'm jealous :heehee:

joanna4
11-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Amazing story. I also went out last night, I haven't gone out since May. Thanks for sharing about Transgender Day, I just looked up Menakshiamma. Getting some looks and even compliments is the best feeling when being out. And wearing that short dress out feels amazing as the you feel the cold and wind against your legs.

debbeelee1
11-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Congrats Amy! Look out world, here she comes!

stephNE
11-19-2012, 07:11 AM
You look great Amy, I'm so happy for you. Steph.

Kelley
11-19-2012, 07:36 AM
So happy for you and such a wonderful cause, you look great. I googled TGDOR, so sad it seem the list of names goes on forever.

Beverley Sims
11-19-2012, 07:38 AM
A very successful first time out and getting to mix with others as well.

JenniferUK
11-19-2012, 07:56 AM
So happy for you Amy, looks like we both had a great weekend.

Hugs

Jen xxx

MsRenee
11-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I think you picked a great to venture outside girl. Glad you had a nice time out and that this is the first of many many more times out.
Renee

bridget thronton
11-19-2012, 07:42 PM
You pic looks very good - well done for working the TGDOR

Roberta Marie
11-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Something that Amy did not mention, despite the fact that this was her first time out in public, she had the courage to stand up at a microphone in front of over 300 people to read the name of the person on her sign, in the middle of Cleveland City Hall. Just trying to pronounce that person's name would have made most people nervous, and Amy did great. We were quite proud of you, girl.

Amy R Lynn
11-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Thank you Bobbi! I was a lot nervous getting up there. This coming from a person who doesn't normally like public speaking, let alone doing it while dressed for the first time. I knew I had my support peeps in the crowd though. I didn't feel alone. Thanks for the support ladies!