PDA

View Full Version : An observation from the field

Rogina B
11-19-2012, 06:21 AM
Girl buddies take far better care of each other than boy buddies! After entertaining the rednecks at the autoparts store while returning a core,I headed back to the restaurant that Harmony and I had a great meal at. There was a good musician playing in the corner,so I chose to eat at the end of the bar with a "commanding" view of all. It led to the following conclusion. Women are so much better with one another! When they are talking,they actually observe the face of the speaker...and with close buddies,they actually reach out and touch!! They pick off that loose hair or piece of lint or loose mascara crumb ! If a guy had dried green mucous all over him,another guy wouldn't say a thing,let alone get it off for him! And girls so easily share burdens like paying for their buddies Oyster shooter or putting their clutch in the others oversize shoulder bag...just sharing..I don't see much sharing between guys other than stories..And,if there is music,women move to it almost automaticly..men stand unflinched watching the "game" on the TV behind the bar while the girls talk with such expression and drama...The real men view any guy who behaves this way as "definitely gay" lol Anyway,all the girls gave me that knowing smile of approval and that is so enjoyable,boys just give you the"look". Oh,and the newish trend is for girls to wear boy size watches like a bangle bracelet....our big wrists are better served with thin girl watches..lol:D

Beverley Sims
11-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Yes, and when they share with you in the same way, you know you have been accepted.
That is wonderful.:)

suzy1
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
That might be true where you come from but it’s not my experience at all!

Is this one of the differences between the U.S. and the U.K.? You give the impression that American men are all selfish, arrogant and unfeeling.:eek:

I hope I am wrong.

Jenny Doolittle
11-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Love the boots!

Jana
11-19-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm sorry Rogina, I have a bit of trouble with stereotypes. Not all women are girly, touchy and chatty with their friends. There are a lot of women who are shy, reserved and not comfortable with physical contact at all. Conversely, there are many "real" men (whatever you mean by that) who are not afraid to show affection towards other "real" men, through touching via high-fives, handshakes, embrances, and in some other cultures via a brief peck on the cheek. That's the beauty of humanity: there's a place for everyone!

Lady Catherine
11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
All my life I've hugged my guy friends when we meet up. Always have. They all hug back. At a bar or game, doesn't matter. So, I guess I can't agree with you on this one.

Rogina B
11-19-2012, 09:15 PM
I am willing to bet that in mainstream America,male huggers{[with other men] are in the minority.And I do believe that women are a whole lot more attentive to the person they are conversing with.Look around next time you are out.

Cynthia Anne
11-19-2012, 09:24 PM
I guess it has something to do with how and perhaps where you were brought up! In my nick of the woods guys never touch let alone hug!

ReineD
11-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Girl buddies take far better care of each other than boy buddies!

Yet, boy buddies seem to enjoy bonding and spending time together just the same! :)

I'm not wanting to be contrary, but I've spent most of my adult life as the only woman in the house (3 sons and no daughters), and in my family (my brother has 4 sons and no daughters), plus a preponderance of boys among other family members with all their friends through the years, a virtual parade of boys and men marching through my life. While I fed them all. lol

Anyway the boys and men that I observed genuinely enjoyed spending time together doing all kinds of things. They don't relate to one another in the same way that women do perhaps but they are still close, they still share in each other's joys and tragedies just like women do, although maybe not with as much verbal communication most times ... but bonding and being there for each other just the same.

Jilmac
11-20-2012, 12:18 AM
I must have more girl tendencies even when in guy mode, because I do a lot of the things you mentioned about girls. I actually pay attention and observe what the others are saying, I sway to the music and ignore whatever game is on the big screen tv. When I'm in girl mode I try to emulate all the mannerisms that come with the territory, and the girls reciprocate with hugs and smiles.

Stephanie47
11-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Except among American baseball and football players when they have the uncontrollable urge to pat each other on the ass!

I am willing to bet that in mainstream America,male huggers{[with other men] are in the minority.And I do believe that women are a whole lot more attentive to the person they are conversing with.Look around next time you are out.

AllyCDTV
11-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Being around the girls is great when things are all nice and rosy. But when all hell's breakin loose and the shit's coming down, I want my guy buddies around 'cause we're gonna have each other's backs as we bust our way out the door.

Rogina B
11-20-2012, 06:50 AM
In a way,I started this thread more to say that there is a whole lot more to behaving feminine,than wearing the clothes.And the "mothering" nature that Reine's post mentions,is an even bigger part of it and impossible to pretend. No matter how polished and passable,it is a rarity for someone born male to naturally behave female.My opinion from observation.

Sally24
11-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Rogina, I agree with many of your observations. They of course only apply to the "average" person. Most of the guys I hang out with are the exception. We all grew up in the 60's and 70's and learned not to hide our feelings. We hug and cry and support each other. I don't think we are the norm....yet.

Suzy, I find there are major cultural differences, especially with men. Touching is a big one! Many American men are not comfortable touching other men except in a rough and tumble fashion. I've observed that European men are generally almost as touchy feely as American women. We can learn a lot from other cultures if we bother to observe.

docrobbysherry
11-20-2012, 10:41 AM
So Rogina, you're saying men and women act differently? Hmmm, I didn't know that.

But, now that I do, next time I'm out dressed I'll start hugging the GGs I meet and groom them if they need it!

Rogina B
11-20-2012, 12:48 PM
I am sorry that I wasn't clear enough for you to understand the posting.Keep shining that car,I think you missed a spot.