PDA

View Full Version : I found this in our paper this Morning

Carroll
11-19-2012, 06:27 AM
It was under "dear Annie and I thought it might be of interest to some of you.

Transgendered boy needs to tell mother

Dear Annie: I am a transgendered boy and am having trouble coming out to my family. I wear sports bras and boy’s clothing most of the time, and when I am speaking with my friends, I use male pronouns, but I still can’t gather the courage to tell my family.

My mother and I once talked about it briefly, but I got nervous and ended up saying it was no big deal. Now I feel as if I’ve missed my chance and will have to wait a long time before I get another shot at it. Being referred to and appearing as a girl makes me genuinely uncomfortable, but I know nothing is going to change until I tell them. Please help.

— Nervous in Vermont

Dear Vermont: Your mother
likely suspects what is going on and is simply waiting for you to bring up the subject again. While you’re considering that, please contact PFLAG (pflag.org), an organization that can answer some of your questions and help you discuss the matter with your parents.

natalie_cheryl
11-19-2012, 06:32 AM
it's nice to see whoever the person is at the paper in charge of this dear anne gave some good advice and a way for this kid to find a support system

Jenny Doolittle
11-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Would really have been nice if Abbie would have referred her to "Crossdressers.com" for help in understanding herself.

mistunderstood
11-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Most of the world does not know about this web site.

Tamara Croft
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Depends how old the kid is, if under 18 he would have been turned away. I'm going to look into that website though and if it's any good, I'll add it to our list for underaged members :)

Babeba
11-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Pflag stands for 'parents and friends of lesbians and gays.' They are a support group for gay allies and family members or friends dealing with their loved ones coming out to them. they are across at least the US and Canada, and anyone can be involved.

mistunderstood
11-20-2012, 01:26 PM
You can join P-flag even if you do not live in the US or Canada. They have web site and you can join them.

ShaynaDomina
11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
The PFLAG chapters I've been to are very "all ages" friendly. It might be different from chapter to chapter, but where I live now, they have an outreach program, going to schools and inviting kids to stop by.

It should go without saying, but in my experience, they're a group with strong family values. Being as they have so many parents there, showing support for their kids, they know how to have age appropriate activities and conversations with younger members. I can't recommend them highly enough.