PDA

View Full Version : for those with/had bushy eyebrows!?

Tracy - new dresser
11-20-2012, 08:10 PM
i want to do some "manscaping" with my brows only to clean em up but worried they will be super noticble after i get them done lol. who just gets a clean up? how often to you have to get em done? and did anyone obviously notice straight away?

ive got 3 weeks off of work in jan and thinkin to get them done then cause no one will remember what they looked like :)

Jorja
11-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Just do it! Anyone says anything just tell them you thinned out the underbrush. You will find that maybe 1 out of 10 will even notice. Even your closest mate.

Kaz
11-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Agree with Jorja - do it! no-one will notice... and if they do they will not tell you.. Once established.... no problem!

Babette
11-20-2012, 08:46 PM
I landscaped mine years ago. Since then, I've had several GG's tell their husbands they should lose the carpet samples over their eyes and have two, distinct brows like mine. Then again, these guys had other grooming issues. I like the way my brows look and don't intend to change!

Babette

BillieJoEllen
11-20-2012, 08:49 PM
If you don't go too extreme no one will notice. Trick is, the next time you trim them do a little bit more.

Barbara Dugan
11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I haven't done mine in about two months and are back to bushy , when I had them really thin nobody really noticed or said anything

LaurenP
11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I go to a threading salon about monthly. I don't go to extremes but my brows are much nicer now.

Lauren

Launa
11-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I had mine done 10 days ago I posted a thread on it the day I had them done. I went to the salon and asked for my brows to be a little feminine but stay on the male side of the foul line if you know what I mean. The tech said no problem and 10 mins later I had thinner girly eyebrows. The tech did not stay on the "male side of the foul line." The brows are now thinner and arched nicely. I've been a bit nervous all week waiting for someone to pipe up but nobody has said anything yet except for my family members.

Some of the women I know are looking at them though. I'm waiting for one of my smart ass friends to say something..... Good thing I wear eyeglasses.
I want to keep them this way but don't know if I can or will. I might have to cower in shame and go back a little to my male brows.

S. Lisa Smith
11-20-2012, 09:15 PM
I have my eyebrows done every 3 weeks. They are pretty thin, yet no one has mentioned anything...after 5 years. Go for it, slowly and no one will ever know.

DebbieL
11-20-2012, 09:19 PM
i want to do some "manscaping" with my brows only to clean em up but worried they will be super noticble after i get them done lol. who just gets a clean up? how often to you have to get em done? and did anyone obviously notice straight away?

ive got 3 weeks off of work in jan and thinkin to get them done then cause no one will remember what they looked like :)

Even on men, especially younger men, thick bushy eyebrows are not necessarily a "Good Thing". If you start looking carefully at other men, you will start to see that you there are many men who have the brows trimmed and/or thinned. Most places that give haircuts will offer to trim the bushy eyebrows, and will happily do it when asked. If you want a really good "cross-over" look, consider going to a manicure shop or beauty shop and tell them that you want something that works well in both male and female mode. You might want to consider theading. It costs about $12-$16 depending on the location, and is usually done at a kiosk in the mall. The advantage of threading is that they can get you a good shape and very gradually and precisely take small amounts at a time.

I like to alternate between waxing and threading, using wax to keep things clean, threading to keep a very clear shape.

Keep in mind that most men won't even notice, and women will generally be more discreet about asking and will be genuinely interested. Give the a grin and a wink when they ask, and they know it's safe to talk to you at lunch or other places.

Juliana Hart
11-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I've been getting mine waxed every month for over a year now, and nobody has said a single thing. I went for the all at once plan. Now, they are just normal.

Kati F
11-21-2012, 01:10 AM
The tech did not stay on the "male side of the foul line."

That's what I'm afraid of...

noeleena
11-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Hi,

Because of being burnt on my right side of my face theres basicly nothing there, so i said to Jos i should ether pull them all out or shave them. all i can do is use eye brow liner ,

One day ill go mad & shave them all off , & what will my friends say ,ill just say oh dear i sliped ,,,he he ,,,

& Jos,,,,,yea well , she knows ill do it ,, one day,

...noeleena...

Jennifer in CO
11-21-2012, 02:11 AM
if your that concerned, go for the "lil bit at a time" method. Way back when (well before transition in 80) I had begun thinning them just a few hairs a week but enough that more were being removed than growing in. After 2-3 months, I had a nice feminine arch but not a "girly" arch if you understand the difference. No one, even my wife who was pushing me along the fem path, noticed....or if they didn't didn't say anything (which in that day-n-age is the same thing)

Jenn

Shari
11-21-2012, 03:48 AM
I check mine and usually do some minor trimming on a weekly basis. I'm not going so much for the feminine look as I am just trying to be well groomed.
None of us needs the Andy Rooney or JR Ewing look. This can and should also apply to the general population.

Cheryl T
11-21-2012, 05:35 AM
If you don't want a dramatic change then start now. Buy a good pair of tweezers and begin shaping them little by little from the underside. You can remove a few today, a few tomorrow and no one will be the wiser. After you get to the stage you prefer maintenance is once a week or so depending on how fast your's grow.

Beverley Sims
11-21-2012, 05:46 AM
It is amazing what you can do with 3 weeks in January.
Last year I had 3 months away, started out with longish hair and had it cut back just before I went home.
January February was just about all Beverley time.
Came back across the channel from Europe and british customs asked me to hold my hair back.
Their comment get another passport photo with long hair and change your name. :)

natalie_cheryl
11-21-2012, 07:27 AM
honestly people notice more when i don't trim my eyebrows becuase they get super bushy and i have a couple long white hairs in there too lol

Kate Simmons
11-21-2012, 07:31 AM
What I did years ago was to highlight an arch I made with mascaea. Then the plucking around that arch can be gradual and won't be noticed so much. :)

Angela Campbell
11-21-2012, 08:31 AM
I saw a website some time ago (don't remember now) showing several men actors and what they would look like with feminine eyebrows. They looked really good and none looked feminine with the other manly features, but they all looked better and more handsome. I say go for it. I too used a stencil and eyeshadow to color my brows and little at a time plucked them into shape. It took weeks since I did it slowly. I used a set of clippers first to trim them short for a week or so then slowly plucked them. No one noticed at all and now they look good in male mode and in girl mode.

MsRenee
11-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Go for it girl. Most people wont say a thing to you about it. I have mine done every 3 weeks just to keep them shaped,not once has anyone said a thing to me about them.
Renee

Tina B.
11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
What I did was take a pair of scissors and a comb, run the comb through the brows, and anything sticking over the comb gets cut off, ends the bushy part, then when no one seemed to notice, I started slowing pucking from the underside, at times I have felt like I went to far, but even then no one has ever seemed to notice.

Karren H
11-21-2012, 11:01 AM
After I saw Carmindy trimming a guys bushy eye brows on WNTW.... it made it all legal! lol... I keep mine short and thin full time.... no one eve noticed the change not even my wife.....

reb.femme
11-21-2012, 03:16 PM
.......ive got 3 weeks off of work in jan and thinkin to get them done then cause no one will remember what they looked like :)

Easiest way for them not to be noticed is to do them slowly.

Firstly, I've always trimmed them off with clippers, because I have male bushes.
I plucked them at the base line of the brow, but only a line or two at best.
Pluck out any wild ones on top line but again, sparingly.
Leave for a week, people will not notice you have trimmed, only maybe that you have a clean line.

Next time go for a little more to achieve the shape you want. No-one has ever said anything to me and some of the GGs where I work would be more than happy to ask publicly if they suspected a thing (very vocal types). :heehee:

If you do go for it in one go, 'sure as eggs is eggs', someone will notice. :straightface:

Rebecca

suzy1
11-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I plucked and trimmed my eyebrows until they were very fem.
My excuse for doing it was that I read somewhere that trimming your eyebrows made you look younger.

Did I need to use my excuse? No, no one has ever noticed. And that was a year ago.

JulieMcKie
11-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Like so many others have said, just go for it! People really don't notice.

It can be a painful adventure though. I have mine waxed every three or four weeks and still cringe before the strip is pulled.

Carla68
11-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Mine are fine and get thicker and darker towards the nose. As I get older some grey ones, Curly and thick ginger ones started to sprout. I am not even ginger. I started to tidy up by removing the unwanted hair with tweezers. Then I started with a hair trimmer reducing the length bit by bit until I was using the shortest attachment comb. I do this now every two weeks now or every time the nose and ears gets attention. I do not shape them though. No one has said anything. If I did not do any thing I would look mess even in male mode and make me look older.

Marcia Sue
11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Have mine done about once a month. No one has said anything. The girl that cuts my hair used to trim them and the only thing she said was "oh,
you have already taken care of that."

Ally 2112
11-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Just do it a little at a time and mantian !:)

Jilmac
11-21-2012, 10:42 PM
I used to have a unibrow that grew over my glasses, it sort of made me look like Groucho Marx without the cigar. Once while getting a haircut, my barber asked me if I wanted to trim the eye foliage. I agreed, he thinned the weeds, and I've been doing my own trimming ever since.

Go for it, thin the brows, you won't regret it, and nobody will notice.

tappanty
11-22-2012, 05:54 AM
I have done a little plucking for years and nobody has ever noticed. Keep in mind it was just keeping things neat, not any real shaping, so I can see why it goes unnoticed.

I have had an interesting experience recently though. I was getting a hair cut and at the very end the stylist asked me to close my eyes, as she did that, she said she was going to clean up my eyebrows a bit. Before I could say anything or ask what she meant, she had the trimmer out and was doing something to them. When she was done, all she said was "that's much better" I didn't say anything but "thank you" as I always do after a hair cut. As I said, I do pluck them and never noticed anything unsightly about them, so when I got home I had to take a closer look. It looked like she just trimmed at the thickest part of the brow, where there must have been some longer strands I guess. I have to admit it did look a little cleaner than usual.

I have never had that happen before, and somebody posted that salons will do this when needed for men. I guess maybe since I'm getting older they are getting a little more "bushy" and I don't notice it on an everyday basis. Either way, I liked that she did it and certainly wouldn't mind if she always does it.

joan47
11-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Mine are thin and arched but alot of gray so the are not that noticeable. At one time when Ihad them waxed every two weeks I would have color put on, but wife did not like so I stopped, sometimes I put some pencil on to brighten up.

Celeste
11-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I like to do the plucking from the underside myself but have my barber do the comb trick and trim them every haircut,he gets them real even and I don't even have to ask him any more.Who knows,he may even suspect what my aim is...he really gets them nice and close.

Jocee
11-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Next time you get your hair cut, have them trim your eyebrows. :)

antonia_bee
12-15-2012, 07:49 AM
There are plenty of tips on the net but my advice would be to do a small amount at a time. This way you can slowly remove excess hair and then gradually shape them too. A lot of women have big eyebrows, and still look amazing. I shape and pluck mine and although people have noticed, most think it's cool that I take care of them. My wife actually liked this about me when we met too.
I would certainly warn about over plucking them. Just tidy them up and if you have a mono brow, certainly get ride of that

Sometimes Steffi
12-15-2012, 12:26 PM
I have this mini cutter for nose and ear hair. It comes with a little attachment for trimming brows at 2 diferent lengths. I often trim at the longer length, especially before going out. I would love to get them threaded in a more defined shape, even if not girly, but my wife would definately notice, and I already get enough static on CDing.

whowhatwhen
12-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I got mine done just a few days ago and I'm very happy with the results.
I was going to go thin but the girl doing them said that really thin eyebrows weren't in anymore so I let the pro do her thing.
:)

All I did was tell her I wanted feminine eyebrows and she said it was no problem, and infact she thought they looked nice when it was all over.
:)

So far no one has said a thing and I don't think most people care.
Go get them done at a decent place though, the difference between getting them done at "el-cheapo-place" and a proper salon is immense.

Starr
12-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Back in the Summer I had my brows thinned out and shaped a little bit and was having them maintained about every 5 weeks until last weekend when it was time again to do my hair and wax the eyebrows. At that time I told my hairdresser to thin them a little more and she did, when i first saw them I loved how fem they looked but at the same time wondered if anyone would say anything....but no one said a word... and I love the fem thin arched eyebrows...
If you are really worried take them down a little at a time... if they get to thin and someone says something just say you were have them shaped and they got them a little thinner then they were suppose too... after you wax the hair off... you can't put in back...lol

Loni
12-15-2012, 05:32 PM
just do a bit here and there. and each week remove a couple more hairs than last week. in a couple three months your new thin brows will be normal to any and all onlookers.
and then just keep them thin and work up a good arch to them.

IngeInCO
12-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Next time you get your hair cut, have them trim your eyebrows. :)

Exactly! Pluck as needed as well