PDA

View Full Version : Blah-dee-blah

Foxglove
11-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi, Everybody!

I was wondering if there's anybody else out there like me: did you ever have any trouble getting used to your new name?

You know how it is: after you've been called "Blah-dee-blah" for so many years, it seems to take a while to change gears. (And some of you may have names you don't like. If that's the case, maybe you should try "Blah-dee-blah" for a while, and I think you'll stop complaining.)

A few weeks ago I was with some people, and as I was leaving the room, I heard somebody say, "Annabelle!" It took a second for it to sink in. "Oh, right, that's me."

Then about a week and a half ago I went to a nearby town to meet a friend, and we ran into a woman she knew, so she introduced us: "This is Annabelle." That stumped me for a second. Then, "Oh, yeah, she got it right. I'm not sure I would have."

A few days ago I was in the library talking to the head librarian, who was only seeing me for the first time since she'd been gone for a while. At one point she called me "Blah-dee-blah", then immediately corrected herself and called me "Annabelle". If she hadn't corrected herself, I wouldn't even have noticed.

But I was back in the library this morning and she said, "Good morning, Annabelle." I thought that was nice. Then I went up to the supermarket, and when I got to the checkout, I found a whole heap of stuff that some so-and-so had left there while they went off to look for more. (I can't stand people who do that. I think they should be banned from supermarkets, if not fined and imprisoned.)

The cashier invited me to come ahead, and as she was checking my stuff, she said, "I didn't want to say anything, but I didn't know what to call you." And immediately, without thinking, I said, "Annabelle."

So maybe I'm starting to get used to it now. I hope so, because I like the name a lot better than "Blah-dee-blah".

Best wishes,
Blah-dee-blah

suzy1
11-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Don’t worry Blah-dee-blah, its just old age catching up with you.:heehee: [And me]:sad:

Sara Jessica
11-21-2012, 09:29 AM
No issues here in getting used to being called Sara when presenting as a female. However, I really need to stop reacting when I hear "Sara" in guy mode!

Beverley Sims
11-21-2012, 09:53 AM
With enough conditioning Blah-dee-blah could be a cute name.
I have been in boy mode and heard someone call out Beverley and immediately turned around.
I did say once when caught out I wondered who the chick was back there.
All it did was cloud the issue.

Karren H
11-21-2012, 09:57 AM
No problem.... Karren's the name I would have had if I had been born with an innie vs an outtie.... lol

Foxglove
11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Don’t worry Blah-dee-blah, its just old age catching up with you.:heehee: [And me]:sad:

Well, if that's all it is, it's a problem time will correct.

I have been in boy mode and heard someone call out Beverley and immediately turned around.

If it was a man calling out the name, you might say, "My wife's name is Beverley, and I've been wondering who the *&%$! is she's been seeing!"

Tina B.
11-21-2012, 10:12 AM
If my name was, Blah-dee-blah I would change it to Annabelle too, who wants to be called Blah? Given time I'm sure you will get used to it, and it's much prettier than Blah-dee-blah anyway.

Leslie Langford
11-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Can't say that it's ever been an issue for me, Annabelle as I'm quite used to my "Leslie" name by now, as well as hearing it when interacting with the GG's who only know me by that name. I liken that to what celebrities whose stage name is not the same as their real name must feel in that regard, and where over time, the two have become intertwined. In most cases, those stage names have essentially become who they define themselves as on an everyday basis.

The only time this ever gave me some pause is when I gave my GG make up artist friend a little gift to mark a special occasion along with a card, and it seemed somewhat strange to be signing it as "Leslie". Perhaps it was seeing that name in writing - and in my own handwriting at that - that made me realize for a moment just how much I have actually become "Leslie" over the years...

That said, when I am out and about as "Leslie", I sometimes do have to catch myself before inadvertently wandering off into the "wrong" washroom - and vice verse! ;)

sandra-leigh
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Most of the places I go that people call me by name, I am on file under my male name (which has to be used for billing purposes either for legal reasons or so that I can claim on insurance.) In such cases I find it difficult to switch to Sandra. Even with my gender therapist. I've been ________ for so long, and it isn't a bad name.

I find it easier to use Sandra in places that don't need to know my legal name.

~Joanne~
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
When I went to shop at janets on my last day out, tina asked me my name when she was checking me out. I froze and had to think about it for a moment, did she want my real name or was she asking my femme name? lol since I was presenting as joanne at the time, joanne is what she got ;)

GondorRachel
11-21-2012, 02:21 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised by the way other people seem to be sble to call me by the correct name. I was out at happy hour with a few people that know that I cd, but was in drab. I made a catty remark and was rebuked by one of the girls with my girl name. I also went to a friends place so we could get measured for custom dresses, and she wrote Rachel at the top of the paper, without even pausing, then after she wrote it asked if that was what I wanted, I smiled at that!

kimdl93
11-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I cheated - I was born Kimberly, so I didn't have to change a thing. I used to cringe when my older sister called me Kimmy, but now that I've more completely embraced my feminine nature, I rather enjoy it ;)

Lady Slipper
11-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Ah, Blah dee blah, sounds like a good old school Gaelic boys name. :D

sandra-leigh
11-21-2012, 09:07 PM
sounds like a good old school Gaelic boys name.

It's a quote from the Swedish Chef!!

Jilmac
11-21-2012, 10:28 PM
And here I thought Blah Dee Blah was such a popular name, so I named my son Blah Dee Blah Junior

CynthiaD
11-21-2012, 10:32 PM
That was a really nice story, Annabelle! May you never be called blah-dee-blah again. I've always hated my male name, but I've published a lot of stuff under that name, so I'm pretty much stuck with it for life, no matter what happens. But, of course "Cynthia Davis" is my real name.

sandra-leigh
11-21-2012, 10:54 PM
But, of course "Cynthia Davis" is my real name.

"Lady Cy. She's no Blah-dee-blah."

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Leah Lynn
11-21-2012, 10:54 PM
My first name is an "Olde English" handle that I don't really care for. Most people only know my nickname. I was engaged to my wife before she knew my real name. Lee converts to Leah quite well.

5150 Girl
11-21-2012, 11:03 PM
My problem is more of getting old aquintences used to the change

sandra-leigh
11-22-2012, 12:08 AM
My problem is more of getting old aquintences used to the change

Can I call you "Five" for short? :)

Barbara Ella
11-22-2012, 12:16 AM
No one has ever spoken my name, not even my wife, who when told of it, said, i thought you had a name, and moved on without ever uttering.

Barbara

sandra-leigh
11-22-2012, 01:17 AM
No one has ever spoken my name, not even my wife

Not sure whether you mean your male name or "Barbara" ?

Foxglove
11-22-2012, 03:43 AM
That was a really nice story, Annabelle! May you never be called blah-dee-blah again.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'm quite certain at this point that I will be changing my name legally fairly soon. (I really don't like "Blah-dee-blah", sure, you can understand that.) I'm not sure what effect that's going to have on my relations with my family, though. But I suppose I'm going to find out. I'm out to just about everybody else now, so I suppose it's about time I came out to my family. Dear old dad's not going to like it, that's for certain. But I've got a life to live, and I'm enjoying living it.

Out with the old, in with the new! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Annabelle

5150 Girl
11-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Can I call you "Five" for short? :)

That could work ;)

sandra-leigh
11-23-2012, 12:49 AM
That could work ;)

Okay, then next time I see you, I'll come up to you and say, "Hi Five!" :D

Foxglove
11-23-2012, 04:16 AM
Okay, then next time I see you, I'll come up to you and say, "Hi Five!" :D