PDA

View Full Version : Facebook - Sometimes it is worth it

Kathi Lake
11-22-2012, 02:41 AM
There have been various threads on whether Facebook is a good thing or a bad thing for us here. Although I can certainly see potential downsides, honestly, I have had nothing but good experiences.

I originally started a Facebook account for Kathi to enter a contest (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?139070) that White House | Black Market was having. Through that contest entry, I have received various Facebook friend requests - from customers (and eventually the friends of those customers), SA's, and even a regional manager. The regional manager and I struck up kind of a Facebook friendship. She is an awesome woman; smart, strong, and with a deep faith. She knows of my status. Well, I don't exactly hide it. I say that I am a male, describe how I am a normal crossdresser (emphasis on the whole 'normal' part), etc. in my profile page.

She has seen plenty of us in her time in retail. She always says good things about us. Her goal, and the goal of those under her, is to make us feel beautiful. She often remarks that it must take a great deal of courage to do what we do, and she applauds us for it.

Anyway, I received this earlier today. Isn't it nice, when much of the world seems to try to knock us down, that there are those who understand?

This is but one example of the kinds of people that are out there. If I hadn't taken the risk, would I have met this person? Made this friendship?

You too can do this, but you have to risk. Is it worth it? That is up to you. As for me, I'm glad I did.

Kathi

TonyaV
11-22-2012, 03:43 AM
Kathi - what a great story about such wonderful people. Yes, there are still good people out-there. We just have to look for them.

As for me, I needed to hear something refreshing and uplifting. You made my day. Thanks for sharing.

Love,
Tonya

Kathi Lake
11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Yes, there are still good people out-there. We just have to look for them.You are so right. We do have to look for them - occasionally wading through what seems like an army of not-so-good ones at times to find those jewels. And, once we've found them, we have to cultivate that relationship.

Kathi

~Joanne~
11-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes, there can be many positives from using facebook just as there are negatives :) I really think the negatives stem from the girls that are closeted, who would like to share and such but Facebook is bound to out them in ways no one really desires. For girl, such as yourself Kathi, who is openly out there it is more than likely to have many positives :)

Thanks for sharing such a great story. I love the positives to all of this :) have a great Thanksgiving!

Rogina B
11-22-2012, 04:28 PM
As out girls go,when we are comfortable in our own skin,that becomes obvious to others.So,there is no leverage of someone using a secret to harm us socially..With that in mind,Facebook,Linkedin,etc can be good.

NyssaF
11-22-2012, 09:12 PM
I can't seem to find you on Facebook, Kathi...

PretzelGirl
11-22-2012, 09:26 PM
I think some of the problems are perceived security issues. I don't find any issues, but I here a lot of people say they don't want to deal with them. Either way, we all have to live within our comfort zone. I will say that I have made many friends on Facebook and I am so glad that I made my account.

Kathi, Facebook or no Facebook, your personality just draws people in. It is no wonder you have friends like that.

Bree Wagner
11-22-2012, 11:16 PM

Yep, no Kathi Lake that might be you shows up. After reading your great post how could we not want to add you as a friend?

-Bree

Kathi Lake
11-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Yep, no Kathi Lake that might be you shows up.Huh. That's odd. I search for me and there I am. I guess I should check my privacy settings?

:)

Kathi

LoriFlores
11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Yup, no Kathi Lake... You could either change your privacy settings so you can be searched or post your facebook URL either here or in a private message.

Barbara Ella
11-24-2012, 12:54 AM
I went to look, but no Kathi Lake. bummer.

Barbara