PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Encounter

ChelseaErtel
11-22-2012, 07:30 AM
My mother had another small stroke (previous ones left her incapacitated on her left side) that she fully recovered from but caused a two day visit to hospital. When I got the call she was being transported it was in the evening so I waited to talk to the DR and my mother. After things settled I decided to drive the 4 hours to her.

I went in Drab (she knows and accepts my TSness). She was back to normal and we just had to wait to make sure a "big" wasn't on the way and the hospital had to do other check to make sure she was good to go and would sue her later. I met her nurse and stayed a while then went to her home and changed into Chelsea. I went back to hospital where I talked to the evening RNs, LPNs and the neurologist. Didn't get one second glance.

Then next day I was sitting with my mother when the first nurse I had met came in.
We said good morning and that was that. Tuesday morning came and we found out she was being discharged. When the nurse came back she called me by my given name. I told her she could call me Chelsea and she didn't bat an eye and said she loves that name. When she came back I told her I hoped I didn't make her uncomfortable. She said not at all, and as a matter of fact she had some very close friends who had a fiftyish man transitioning just like me.

We talked about her family acceptance and some of the other mundane things tranny's go through. She was so sweet.

When she came back the second time, I had to ask her if she could tell I was a "man" in a dress. She said she thought that I was a sister, but after a couple of hard looks and her experience with her friend she knew I was the son. But, she added that if she hadn't met me before she would have thought I was just a female family member and wouldn't have thought anything else. Don't know if she was telling the truth (I think she was), but I was deeply flattered.

In the early morning on Monday I had to get some work done and needed the internet (my mother is not connected). So I went to Starbucks, got some tea and oatmeal and sat down at a table. An older gentleman (about 60 or so) was close by and said good morning. We chatted a little for an hour or so off and on. He seemed a little sweet on me and I just thought that was the cutest thing.

Now, the interesting thing was I didn't care a lick that the nurse knew. As a matter of fact it was nice to be able to talk to someone not TG and see how accepting they can be. I know it is and will not always be the case, but I'll take the good when it happens.

Lastly, the ever present bargain hunter that I am, found a Chaps maxi paisley skirt and matching sweater (purple) all for less than $25.00 US at Kohl's on the 85% off rack. You just never know what you'll find.

On another subject, my wife (who I told Nov 1, 2012) and I are doing very well. She had been fantastic. Still can't deal with Chelsea, but is accepting that she is not only part of me, but me. We are both committed to staying together understanding that things may change in the future but that those changes will be done together. I still want her to know Chelsea and she knows that; perhaps in time. I find that before coming out I was a pretty negative and pessimistic but now I'm so much more positive in my outlook and very optimistic. Challenges lie ahead, but with my wife with me I think I can handle them.

I have receive many PMs and replies wishing me and my family well and I just want to thank you all for those from the bottom of my heart - a big (as ArleneRaquel says) MUAH to you all.

steftoday
11-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I keep cheering for you, and hope that things continue to go well for you and your family. :)

Kate Simmons
11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm happy you had those experiences Hon. It really isn't a big deal in any case with most people as many look for people who are genuine for the most part.What they happen to be wearing and what they look like has little to do with it oftentimes. :)

bridget thronton
11-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Hope your mother continued to do well

~Joanne~
11-22-2012, 11:27 AM
It's great to hear your mom is doing well as of now and I hope it continues for a very long time :)

Julie Denier
11-22-2012, 06:29 PM
So glad your mom's on the mend and things seem to be going well for you ;)

Genny B
11-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Thank you for sharing Chelsea! Prayers for your mother!

Terri Andrews
11-22-2012, 08:12 PM
I am glad your Mother is doing better,Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Angie G
11-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Glad your mom is okey as in you and your wife. Try not to pust the subbjectto hard on her Chelsea.:hugs:
Angie