PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help

Jeanette TS
11-29-2005, 04:41 AM
Hi can anyone help me with some information. I have been see my GP and he knows nothing about being Transsexual, so i have been finding out information for him, and i am at the stage i need blood tests. So can anyone tell me what type of blood tests i need. It's for me to start on the hormons. There is some problem as well i have been taking then already. Will i have to stop them befor i have the tests and for how long?

Any help would be gratful.

Jeanette

Faye Emmette
11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Gosh Jeanette, you worry me.
If the doctor hasn't prescribed the hormones you're on now, who did? They can do so many different things and Nandrolone/Testosterone/Dianabol/Oestrogen are a few of the hundreds that all have differing effects. Do you want a hairy chest or have mood swings or a heart attack.
Please try and find a doctor who can at least read his Martindale and know of the contra indications of some of these drugs.
Please.

Christina Nicole
11-29-2005, 10:11 AM
The main issue with taking estrogen products is the effect on the liver. So the blood tests required are liver function tests.

Before you start HRT, you should be screened for cardiac problems. There have been indications that estrogens may promote cardiac events. Thrombosis is also a concern since it can occur as deep vein thrombosis in some individuals on HRT. Any vascular issues could be a contraindication.

The other typically contraindications that come to mind are vaginal and genital bleeding and pregnancy. You're not pregnant are you?

Of course, estrogens aren't all the same. Your doctor needs to be familiar with the different forms and types so that you can get the right ones.

Estrogens have been linked to breast cancer, which should come as no surprise to you. If there is a history of cancer in your family, especially breast cancer in women related to you, you must be very cautious.

I've taken estrogen, (Oestradiol, specifically) so I'm familiar with the issues. OK, I was familiar with them. I've forgotten quite a bit over the years that I've been away from them I never used any anti-androgens, so I don't have much information on that for you. You'll need an anti-androgen as well as estrogens as part of your transition.

I can tell you that the emotional roller coaster from estrogen is quite real. The lows are definitely lower and the highs are definitely higher. When you feel good, and happy, you're going to really feel good and very happy. Practically bubbling over, actually. It was quite unlike anything I had experienced previously. On the other hand, the lows, the depression during the dark times is really, really dark. I'm not surprised that many TSs in transition kill themselves. Have a good support system in place first. You think teenaged girls are moody? I think it's worse for us and we don't have mom and other girls as a support system. You need someone to count on for those times. I went flying on one of those dark days to cheer myself up and almost said “who cares” when the plane nearly got away from me on a particularly nasty final.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Kim E
11-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi Jeanette ~
Christina has given you very accurate and sensible info. There are always dangers associated with chemically altering the body with hormones and precautions should not be overlooked.

In my case, my doctor knows all, I felt he needed to know, if he were to look after my medical needs. I have routine blood work done to monitor liver and other functions. He has insisted that I have mammograms also.

He referred me to an endocrinologist, who examined me and I had a battery of tests run. The results answered many questions, as to why I have felt TS, since puberty.

I would definitely keep the medical profession in the loop, so to speak, if hormones or transitioning are in your future.

Kim

DonnaT
11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
I assume you are in Manchester, so go see Dr. Curtis he is a F2M TS and is taking over for Russell Reid.

http://www.transhealth.co.uk/