PDA

View Full Version : A Year to the Day...

GeminaRenee
11-23-2012, 10:43 PM
A year ago today, I made an incredibly important decision, one which I am most thankful for... I made the choice to embrace what I am, and pursue life without denying this part of myself.

Around this time last year, I was incredibly frustrated. I had not dressed since 2006. That was the year that saw the end of a relationship with a supportive SO. Though I did not realize it at the time, rather than allowing my femme self to grow in that nurturing environment, I simply became dependent on her. She did my makeup. She made sure my top matched my skirt. Shaving my legs didn't seem worth the itch without her. She gave me the confidence to go into a store and try on what I wanted. And when this ended, I realized that I was still an infant. I couldn't do anything for myself.

Worse yet, I was faced with re-entering the dating scene. I was convinced that lightning had struck, and that I would never find someone accepting again. So in early 2007, on the morning of a big date with a beautiful but vanilla blonde, I carried everything I owned that pertained to Kali, and threw it in the dumpster. Then I walked away.

Fast forward to 2011... though many good things had happened in my life since '07, there was still something indescribable that imprisoned me, yet I could hardly put words to it. The night before Thanksgiving, I was at the bar with some guys from high school. A table away, I wouldn't keep my eyes off the brunette in a short skirt, with long, smooth legs that ended deliciously in a black platform pump. Part of the reason for my wandering eye was the overt idea that I wanted to be with her. Yet as I sat there and ogled, I realized that, just as much... I wanted to be like her. But I didn't know how. I couldn't just go home and transform myself into even a crude facsimile of her. A weight still hung upon my heart.

The next day, I spent eating and drinking too much with a girlfriend that I knew I could never tell about this part of me. I was not happy. I knew that, in the words of the gentleman from The Shawshank Redemption, I had to get busy living, or get busy dying.

The next day, I broke up with that girl. I ordered a pair of tan platform pumps from Payless, because a girl has to start somewhere, and it might as well be with a hot pair of heels. I shaved my legs. And as I let the lotion soak into my wonderfully smooth-again skin, I sat down and started googling makeup how-to's. Most importantly, I made a promise to myself - to embrace what I know that I am, and live without denying the integral nature of my trans-self to my wholeness and health as a person.

In the year since, I found the wonderful people and wealth of information at this site. My wardrobe has become more complete than it had ever been - though my bank account, not coincidentally - less so. I have (more or less) kept shaved for that entire year - and the world didn't even end! (; I've learned how to do basic makeup that doesn't look like a drunken four year-old was at the helm. I've learned how too do some basic things with (my natural!) hair. In December, I ventured out for the first time, to drop off a DVD at family video at 1 am. Later, I went out during the day. And again. And again. I went to a social event, and (gasp!) interacted with other human beings while looking as cute as I possibly could. I told a few select friends, and made dates to go shopping with them. I made love as Kali, once again. Holy god, I was alive in a way that I had never before been.

Granted, things are not perfect. The dating thing is a long way from figured out. I can't nearly afford to buy all the clothes I want. Walking in heels can still result in embarrassing awkwardness. But you know what? I couldn't have made a better decision for myself, one year ago today. Rather than live my life in shame, in denial, I can say for once that I've owned the person that I am - and that despite all the fears and reservations I might have once had, things couldn't have turned out too much better. I am so glad that I did this.

I hope that maybe someone can take inspiration from this post. Hiding behind denial was an easy thing to do, but it was always insufferable, no matter what I tried to tell myself. And today, I know that I can be happy being myself (even if I am still generally closeted) - and that there are even some surprising rewards out there. And where a year ago, I could never have found those surprising joys, today I am excited to know that there are more ahead of me.

Thanks for listening!

(:

ArleneRaquel
11-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Thank you for sharing your journey. Best wishes. You know that you have friends here who are wiling to help on your contining quest.

justmetoo
11-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Congratulations! You made some important steps in learning to be yourself and owning it. Best wishes for the future! :)

Beverley Sims
11-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Well let us know how the next 12 months go.
You should be lovelier than ever by then.
Sort that dating scene out too.

MsRenee
11-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Sounds like your next year is realy going to be full of some funt times an adventures. Only once you realize how happy you can be is the point were you are your happiest. The dating scene,when it happens itll catch you off guard. for now Id just enjoy yourself and have as much fun as you can handle sweetie. Heres to your next 12 months.
Renee

GeminaRenee
11-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone, for your kind comments. Funny you should bring up the next year... I don't expect to advance much at all (in terms of crossdressing, anyways). I'm going to be venturing out into the Alaskan wilds for most of it, more or less living out of a couple of duffels. There won't be room for any clothing that isn't purely functional, nor makeup. This may sound terrible from a cd'ing point of view, but it's another kind of adventure that I thrive upon and am not complete without. And when I'm standing atop a mountain, looking out at the world as few ever see it, I'll be quite fulfilled in another way entirely. But once I'm back, I'll be right back where I left off. Plus, my hair will be much longer, too! (:

kimdl93
11-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Kali, your growth proves a great example for all of those living in shame and denial. You reveal the possibilities of living an authentic, honest life. Congratulations and best wishes in the coming year!

~Joanne~
11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Thank you for such a wonderful and inspiring post Kali :) I am glad that your at peace with yourself and living your life as you chose. it's too short to do it any other way. Congrats :)

Carla Stevens
11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Some of your story is similar to mine & it's exactly a year to the day that I decided that I no longer wanted to suppress Carla & live in denial. It's a year to the day that I visited Dee Selecta, a CD'ing shop in Bolton as I needed to speak to someone face to face about how I felt. Someone who would understand & maybe answer some of my questions.
Thanks to Dee's fantastic support, I've become much happier in myself & come on leaps & bounds over the past 12 months to the extent of getting out shopping whilst dressed for the very first time this week.
Even this morning when I turned up at Dee's, Sally who helps out in the shop commented how happy I looked, how great I looked & how confident I was & how she had noticed me change over the past 12 months into a confident happy girl.:D

Foxglove
11-24-2012, 02:35 PM
A year ago today, I made an incredibly important decision,
(:

Some of your story is similar to mine & it's exactly a year to the day that I decided that I no longer wanted to suppress Carla & live in denial.

Wow! That makes three of a kind! Three aces? It hasn't been exactly a year to the day for me, but close enough as makes no difference. In the last year I've gone from nowhere to quite somewhere.

The only differences between you and me, Kali, is that I'm not dating and I don't like high heels. But it's been a great year, hasn't it?

Best wishes, Annabelle

Raychel
11-24-2012, 02:58 PM
you have made some very mportant decisions in your life, But the most important one you have made is to life your life for you and be happy.
Congrats, You are on the right road. :hugs: