PDA

View Full Version : Drag show at school

Dani Alana Taylor
11-26-2012, 05:50 PM
So I am in university and between classes today I went to the food court for lunch. While I was eating all of a sudden a guy came on a mic and started introducing a show. The show was a drag queen show put on by the gender center we have at my school. So I watched a I ate as did everyone else. To my surprise there weren't many people at all thinking it was weird or anything, anyone who walked by stopped and watched, and laughed but laughed at funny parts when it was supposed to be funny. People were actually having a good time watching it. I was completley surprised to see this. Not even all the drag queens who were dresse up were dressed up over the top. Thi made me really jealous I gotta say haha I wanted to be dressed (like I am right now in a lovely sun dress and boots) and be up there with them! Haha anyway just had to share that with everyone because it is great to see stuff like that. It was put on for awareness for people like us and I though that wa just amazing. Anyway just had to share that! Now I gotta go eat and do some homework in this comfortable cute great outfit haha, see ya!!

Lady Catherine
11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Glad to see people making the effort to get positive information out there to the general public.

Kate Simmons
11-26-2012, 05:58 PM
It's always fun being part of the show, especially if you are somewhat of a ham like I am.;):battingeyelashes::)

Barbara Ella
11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Glad your University is aware enough to allow your center to do this. Was it unannounced, or did you just miss the announcements because you were too busy studying???

Hugs, Barbara

lynnef
11-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Cool, glad you had fun there, a school where I went a while ago had a "Drag Day" where people could come in opposite gender's clothing, and get prizes and photos taken, alas, I was never able to do it :( (wasn't in any classes when they had it)

Deedee Skyblue
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
They didn't have this event when I was there: http://tech.mit.edu/V126/N51/51Fierce.html

Of course, I probably wouldn't have dared dress in public back then anyway.

AngelaKelly<3
11-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I found that the people at my university were very welcoming of all cultures, sexualities and anything else that's otherwise seen as "abnormal" elsewhere. I still was unable to "come out" as I'm still exploring and deciding what to do to this day, but universities are great centres of acceptance :)

Rogina B
11-26-2012, 08:43 PM
And schools around the world are so important in bringing forth acceptance through[keeping] an open mind..We gain a little bit each day.

Tracii G
11-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Glad to hear it was received well.

Beverley Sims
11-27-2012, 11:19 AM
At univrsity you can experiment with just about anything.
The drag show and acceptance is a good example.

Jana
11-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know where you go to school but I'm not surprised at people's reaction to the show. First of all, drag queens can be very entertaining and witty. Second, it is a show and with it there's an invisible cloak that makes it ok for entertainers to crossdress and audience to enjoy. I wish that cloak would extend to society in general, so that everyday transgender people could enjoy the same level of tolerance and acceptance in the real world, and not only on stage. Maybe someday!

Jenny Doolittle
11-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh to be a young college student again!

Cassandra Lynn
11-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Institutions of higher learning are the sacred grounds of acceptance, that's for sure and you can find it on just about any campus, doesn't matter if it is in the bigger cities or out in the sticks.
The sad fact is tho, you can travel a few miles away and find nothing but ignorance (lack of intelligence) and phobic behavior by the general public.

And this is the main point behind all of the bias, hatred, unacceptance, racism and bullying.
People who are too stupid to see 'just people trying to be people' react poorly.

joanna4
11-27-2012, 08:47 PM
That's so nice that they had it in the cafeteria. Our university has it in April, I might do it.