PDA

View Full Version : Whew! That was way harder than it should have been...

Bree Wagner
11-26-2012, 09:51 PM
With all the things I've done, you'd think a simple phone call to set up a makeover wouldn't be so hard. Back to the beginning...

I just got back home from a thanksgiving trip to see family but my wife and kids are staying the rest of the week. It's a perfect opportunity for some more Bree time. After reading about so many great experiences here, I had talked about getting a makeover done at MAC with my wife and she told me to go for it.

Why then was it so freaking hard for me to make that phone call? :confused3: From the time I looked up the number until I actually called was about three hours. The nerves were incredible, there was sweating involved, and a distinct need for reassurance. Luckily, I got some :huggles and decided I should stop ruining my night by worrying over it. I finally made it happen.

Some things are just harder than others.

I'm all set for a 90 minute lesson this Thursday and can't wait. I'm sure I'll follow that up by burning through the Macy's gift card I have and probably hitting some more stores in the mall. Who knows where else the day will take me!

Wish me luck and something approximating beauty!

-Bree

tammysmiles
11-26-2012, 10:05 PM
You should be proud of yourself for overcoming whatever was keeping you from making that call.

I've been in that situation myself too many times.

Good luck on Thursday- hope you have a great time!

MssHyde
11-26-2012, 10:05 PM
that sound like a wonderful experience (we love pictures) you go girl!

Lady Catherine
11-26-2012, 11:12 PM
You'll just have to have some extra fun on Thursday to make up for being nervous.

Barbara Ella
11-26-2012, 11:54 PM
There is no explaining the nervous trepidations we feel about different things. I can go into Payless in drab, and try on heels without batting an eye. I pick up my bras and lingerie without pausing. I have gone into DressBarn en femme, and tried on dresses, but for the life of me i cannot work up the courage to go into Goodwill or Salvation army, in drab even, to buy anything. No explanation.

So glad you called. MAC is my next item to do, I just have to work up courage to plan the road trip to Indy for an overnighter. Wife will have to know, and am still unsure how that will go.

Of course there will be some pics?

Hugs, Barbara

Eryn
11-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Barbara, you are so right! We each have our individual comfort zones. I buy things at Sally Beauty in drab, even have a Sally card in my male name. Makeup at drug stores, no problem. I go out en femme regularly to shops, theaters, and dining, even upscale restaurants in Beverly Hills.

Yet, for some reason the concept of a session at MAC frightens me. My makeup is a feminine cue that helps my presentation. I don't have confidence in my ability to blend without makeup so getting to the MAC store is problematical. I'm promising myself that I'll give it a try after I finish electrolysis which gives me a lot of time to get used to the idea.

I know, it's a silly thing, but to me it is very real.

Bree Wagner
11-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Of course there will be some pics?

Is that really a question? Of course there will be and they'd better be good or I'll never forgive myself for how much this costs!

Barbara, you are so right! We each have our individual comfort zones.

Yet, for some reason the concept of a session at MAC frightens me. My makeup is a feminine cue that helps my presentation. I don't have confidence in my ability to blend without makeup so getting to the MAC store is problematical.

I know, it's a silly thing, but to me it is very real.

Yeah Barbara is right. For this one at least though, you could put your makeup on and have them take it off. That'd get you into the store. Or maybe really big sunglasses, some lipstick, and a very brisk walk. :heehee:

You should be proud of yourself for overcoming whatever was keeping you from making that call.

I've been in that situation myself too many times.

Good luck on Thursday- hope you have a great time!

Thanks! It's really just a case of wanting to do it enough to overcome the fear and nervousness.

Jorja
11-27-2012, 01:14 AM
You know, when it is all done and over with you will look back and wonder why you had such a difficult time making that phone call. Relax and have a great time!

Eryn
11-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Yeah Barbara is right. For this one at least though, you could put your makeup on and have them take it off. That'd get you into the store. Or maybe really big sunglasses, some lipstick, and a very brisk walk. :heehee:

Sunglasses in November would be a bit odd, even in SoCal, and the very brisk walk is a sure giveaway! Every time I see a tall woman flitting about my CD-dar starts beeping. When I do it it will be like a GG does it, with a clean (and smooth!) face with a casual walk of confidence.

I've rationalized it as a way to keep me on the electrolysis bandwagon. :)

AmyGaleRT
11-27-2012, 02:38 AM
I'm all set for a 90 minute lesson this Thursday and can't wait. I'm sure I'll follow that up by burning through the Macy's gift card I have and probably hitting some more stores in the mall.

Awesome, Bree! Is this the MAC at Cherry Creek Mall? I would love to be able to do that someday...gotta get myself a little more desensitized to appearing in public as Amy first, though. That and save up the money for the makeover! :)

Sunglasses in November would be a bit odd, even in SoCal...

Perhaps not here. Denver gets more sun per year than most places. In the winter months it can be hit-or-miss though.

- Amy

carolinewalker_2000
11-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Good luck on Thursday Bree. I've not had the full make-over experience at MAC but I have bought products from them and asked advice from the sales assistants. Without exception everyone at MAC has been charming, professional and helpful. You will have a great time.

My only advice to you is; don't get carried away in the euphoria of the moment; their products are very expensive. Just buy a basic kit of what they suggest is right for you on the day - you can always go back for more later! Also some products such as cleansers etc can be purchased more cheaply elsewhere and are equally effective. Spend you MAC money on products that will make a real difference. Enjoy.

mikiSJ
11-27-2012, 03:09 AM
Bree, I understand exactly.

I am heading to Carla's in San Jose tomorrow (in Drab) to talk with Aejaie Sellers about doing a makeover and photo shoot. It has taken me nearly 60 years to get to the point I am even discussing my CDing with groups like this, let alone doing a face to face with someone who will actually end up knowing who I am. (Other than my loving wife!)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do the makeover until January. But good luck on your trip!

paulinescotlandcd
11-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Good luck and have a great time.

Shelly Preston
11-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Hi Bree

I think the difficulty is because you have to make a phone call. If you are setting the appointment up in person, all the visual clue are there suggesting you are totally female.

On the phone its a bit different people have to go with the clues in your voice and the way you speak.

Have fun and enjoy the makeover :)

Beverley Sims
11-27-2012, 07:39 AM
I find it very difficult to do anything when I have feathers in my mouth. :)
Sometimes new fears are hard to overcome.

stephNE
11-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Hi Bree, I'm sure you will love this, probably one of theose great memories you will keep for ever. Steph.

kimdl93
11-27-2012, 07:48 AM
It's funny the little things that can seem like big obstacles. Glad you overcame another one.

Bree Wagner
11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm sure it will be amazing.

You know, when it is all done and over with you will look back and wonder why you had such a difficult time making that phone call.

I can almost guarantee that will be the case. I'd expect it to be similar to a lot of first things I've done. Nervous before the event and elated afterwards.

Awesome, Bree! Is this the MAC at Cherry Creek Mall? I would love to be able to do that someday...gotta get myself a little more desensitized to appearing in public as Amy first, though. That and save up the money for the makeover! :)

You'll get there Amy! I'm heading to the MAC at Park Meadows Mall. I probably should have called Cherry Creek to see if they had a better deal but one call was clearly enough for me that night! maybe in the future...

Spend you MAC money on products that will make a real difference. Enjoy.

I'm going in on a budget! I'll just hit the highlights.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do the makeover until January. But good luck on your trip!

Good luck to you to! It's a big step. :)

Hi Bree

I think the difficulty is because you have to make a phone call. If you are setting the appointment up in person, all the visual clue are there suggesting you are totally female.

On the phone its a bit different people have to go with the clues in your voice and the way you speak.

Shelly, that's for sure! I think the woman on the phone got a lot more excited when she asked what "she" wanted to get out of the makeover and I told her it was for me. It was easy at that point but I am very obviously male on the phone.

-Bree

Sarasometimes
11-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Congrats, with a warning MAC cosmetics can be habit forming! I can guarentee you that you were not the first CD to set this up. You may want to clarify whether you can buy products instead of paying outright for the lesson/makeover. If you do your own makeup a makeover with purchase is generally better. Since nerves may return be sure to wear a nice feminine deodorant and relax!! My first MAC makeover was awesome!!

mikiSJ
11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi Bree!

Originally Posted by mikiarata

Originally Posted by bree
Good luck to you to! It's a big step.

I spent about 30 minutes, in drab, with Aejaie @ Carla's in San Jose. She is a wonderful gal and was very, VERY comforting and understanding.

I am sure the butterflies will be fluttering next January when I pull up in the parking lot and walk in with my outfit(s), but I'll do it knowing I will be in good and accepting company. :o

Bree Wagner
11-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I can guarentee you that you were not the first CD to set this up. You may want to clarify whether you can buy products instead of paying outright for the lesson/makeover. If you do your own makeup a makeover with purchase is generally better. Since nerves may return be sure to wear a nice feminine deodorant and relax!! My first MAC makeover was awesome!!

Just by the volume of posts here about it I was pretty sure I wasn't the first. :heehee:

Also, by how the attitude of the girl on the phone grew even more excited after I told her that it was for me was a pretty good indication that it wasn't the first they've done at this particular store either.

I'll definitely be checking if I can buy product to pay for the lesson or maybe even part of it. I'd much rather walk out of there with all the products I liked rather than just handing over my money!

erickka
11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Sounds like a dream come true! Don't forget to post some pics of the finished product!

Paula_56
11-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Bree

I went to the Park Meadows MAC store when I was in your wonderful city. Jamie did my makeover the girls there were SOOOO friendly, compassionate, and helpful. It will be a great experience. Please send my warmest thanks and tell them how much a simple thing like a makeover means. As for nerves, it's funny after all the outings we have under our wings you would think this would be nothing. I get nervous also and for the sillist reasons. Other times I don't have any nerves.

BTW-- I am gong to the UK in Feb Birmingham and Liverpool, I have a ton of questions but I will re- read you posts first.
Thanks for writing them all out I know it is hard work

Here's the link to my Denver MAC story and picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65733073@N02/7848061148/in/photostream

Your sister Paula

jennyday
11-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Bree, congradulations on making this step. I too had a hard time making the call to set up the appointment. We had to travel to another town (Nashville) to find a stand alone MAC store. It was in a good size mall and was in its own store, it was seperate from all of the major department stores. Since the mall was new to us and we were traveling we didn't know where in the mall the store was, that added a lot of tension as I went fully dressed with everything except makeup. Once we got in the store they took my wife and I back to a little private booth area so we had plenty of privacy. The girl we had was very cool and accepting, telling us about some bars we could go to, and they were actually the places we were headed that night. She said she may even see us later that night. Yes it will be expensive, but it was worth every penny of it. If I were you I would go by the mall to find their store ahead of time so you will know the shortest way to get there and where to park. After that you can walk the mall and do some shopping. We had a blast, just give yourself plenaty of time to get there, get it done and then enjoy it.
Jenny

Paula_56
11-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Just by the volume of posts here about it I was pretty sure I wasn't the first. :heehee:

Also, by how the attitude of the girl on the phone grew even more excited after I told her that it was for me was a pretty good indication that it wasn't the first they've done at this particular store either.

I'll definitely be checking if I can buy product to pay for the lesson or maybe even part of it. I'd much rather walk out of there with all the products I liked rather than just handing over my money!

You're not the first GF I went to the Park Meadows mall too!!!

Bree Wagner
11-29-2012, 12:30 PM
MAC called and put a three hour delay in my day due to an artist not being available at noon. Bad news: I was almost ready to go and excited. Goodish news: I can probably spend the rest of the day out after the later appointment. Still looking forward to it!