PDA

View Full Version : Difficult life transition

makin' it real
11-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Hi. I’ve been going through a hard time recently and want to share it with you. Writing it out may help me gain clarity, and hearing back from you might help me see things with different eyes.

Over the past several months my career has crashed and burned. First an academic program I’ve built and run over the past two years was killed by administration one week after it was approved for full launch to the public. This left me with a title but little to no work and essentially no income. Looking elsewhere, I talked with two other schools that had openings and expressed an interest. Both places told me I got the job after their months-long interview processes, and then both positions fell through within a week of them telling me yes. How utterly bizarre! Three different places say yes to my ideal positions, then all three turn around and reverse their offers within a week. I’ve never had even one place do that before. My mind couldn’t handle it, and I gave up. It hit me hard and I fell into depression, feeling helpless and hopeless, with no idea of where to go or what to do.

None of my previous coping tools helped and I felt at a loss. I severely limited my social interactions. I haven’t been able to focus my mind well enough to pray past a couple minutes or do any half-decent meditations. I haven’t even been reading, just loafing around the house doing nothing but watching YouTube videos and playing online pool. I stopped even looking for a job a couple months ago and basically put my email inboxes on auto-ignore. It got to the point where I barely left the house at all, sometimes not even opening the front door for days on end.

During this time I increased my intake of feminizing herbs from maintenance levels to growth levels. After three years of the herbal approach, I have modest hips and quite pronounced breasts, even when wearing a tight compression t-shirt under a loose shirt. I’ve become especially sensitized to, and even fearful of, people looking at my chest in guy mode. And they do. It’s not just my being hypersensitive. But that has added to my not wanting to go out, and I suspect I’ve gone both too far and not far enough in the body changes.

Combining my body insecurities with my professional collapse, I’ve been a mess.

On the plus side, I have some awesome friends and relatives. They simply would not leave me alone. They kept calling and texting and emailing, asking how I am and what I’m doing and giving me leads and encouragement and invitations to get together. It’s tough to convince myself I’m all alone and a worthless dredge when these good people keep pestering me.

And they all know about Rachel and they all still love me and support me. Still, I haven’t presented as Rachel in front of them yet. One buddy got me out for a night of beer and talk a few weeks ago. I talked more about what I’m going through and he said he didn’t care how I dressed when we get together, that I’ll always be his homie no matter what. Even though his language is from a different generation, I knew what he meant and love him for it.

And I have other support as well. A friend was recently diagnosed with diabetes after she collapsed and was hospitalized for several days from a diabetic coma. We started a rigorous diet together and get together several times a week now to eat, exercise, and meditate. She’s doing it to cure her diabetes. I’m doing it to get a girlish waist and use nutrition to help change my negative thinking. And it gets me out of the house. I fully present as Rachel with her, and have even gone outside and talked with others as Rachel with her by my side. Our last exercise time was dancing together at her house. So fun! Moving my body like that was scary! But we're going to do it again because it was such a good workout, and because it's good for me to get outside my comfort zone!

I’ve been doing weekly counseling sessions for a couple years now focusing on observing and changing my thought processes. It’s been helpful, if slow. And it has taken a month to get started with a gender counselor between the holidays and doing an intake session, but I finally have my first session with a GID counselor this Wednesday. And my therapist is a FtoM transsexual. Yay!

Now I have glimmers of hope.

It’s slow, but I am crawling out of the pit I’ve been in. My brother just bought plane tickets for me to come visit him and his wife in South Carolina for almost 2 weeks. The official reason is so I can help get his new cabin ready for them to move into, then help with the move. I’m glad to do it. The unofficial reason, but which I named and thanked him for tonight on the phone, is to help me during my time of need. And I love him for that too.

Being a guest in his house for so long makes me wonder whether I should tell him about my TG status. We were estranged for most of our adult lives because of problems with parents in our childhoods. We just started talking again a few years ago and have realized we really like each other. But I haven’t told him about my CDing or Rachel yet. Should I bring some stealth girl clothes for my own comfort? I haven't gone even a single day without women's clothes in a very long time. I don't know how I'll do without them.

Should I tell him everything as part of this time for reconnecting with my roots, my family, and with who I really am? Make full use of this opportunity to discover together with family who I am now and what my purpose is? I don’t know how he’ll take the TG stuff.

My sister will likely visit from North Carolina. I’ve been out to her for many years. She’s seen me dressed and has given me lots of clothes. But my brother’s wife is a real bible-thumper and he has deferred to her on some important issues in the past. Heck, I think I’ve only got two pieces of male underwear left, so that might answer one question right there!

Anyway, that’s where I am now, and what’s rattling around in my head today. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

~Rachel

Kate Simmons
11-27-2012, 06:26 AM
My only advice is to tell your Brother about Rachel before you move Hon. Otherwise it will affect you in one way or the other. Better to do it now than in a potential bad situation later. Either way I feel you will be fine as you seem to be in touch with your feelings.:)

DAVIDA
11-27-2012, 06:39 AM
I want to say that I did tell my brother and his wife last year.:thumbsup:
Bible thumper? He was an Episcopal Cannon.:eek:
I said "was". We lost him this year.
Don't put things off until later, you might not have a "later".:sad:
I am so glad that my brother knew the true me.:)

Beverley Sims
11-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Like Kate says Go to SC and stay with the brother, sound your sister from NC and find out if she has spoken to your brother and eventually will have to broach the subject with him. I was wondering if your TG status had affected your academic applications.?
I would take some clothes for your own comfort and use in strict privacy if the scene looks doubtful.
I hope you beat the depression quickly and starting a thread is good therapy.

bridget thronton
11-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I am sorry to hear of you job woes - odd even for higher ed today. Hope something happens to change things for you.

AllieSF
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the update Rachel, a bit sad and then a bit more happy. I think that you just need to go to visit your family, take a bit of Rachel along with you, like a security blanket, and yes, we all have one or more of those in different shapes and forms. Once there, play it by ear and come or not based on how you feel. In the meantime, I like your exercise meditation routine, keep it up. Drop me a note if you want to talk or meet. I am always happy, so maybe some will rub off on you. Good luck and don't give up, just keep moving forward.

ReineD
11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry about your career misfortunes, Rachel, but I'm glad that you are beginning to get out of the depression. :)

As to what to do when visiting your brother, I would bring some stealth and not so stealth girl clothes, just in case. And sometime during your stay there, I'd take your brother aside and tell him. He will need to know eventually if you continue to alter your body, and it's better to do this face to face. You can ask him if he foresees an issue with his wife, and you can also ask him about his degree of comfort in having you dress comfortably around him. Even if he is not ready for it this time, you will have introduced the idea for the next visit.

Don't give up on your academic program, keep trying. Higher ed institutions are under a financial crunch with state funding difficulites and some colleges experiencing declines in enrollment, but the economy is bound to continue improving. If your programs have anything to do with distance ed, I think this is the direction that everyone will increasingly take.

suzy1
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
One thing I picked up on in your thread was the wonderful relatives and friends you have. You are truly blessed to have them.
And I can say that from personal experience.

All the best,

SUZY

Barbara Ella
11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Rachel, i am so very sorry for your employment snafus. that is very strange for academia, which is strange to begin with. I have always appreciated your kind words in the past, and know that this too shall pass. I agree that you should go see your brother, sound out your sister, and if all is good, come out to him. If any doubt, keep it your secret for now. Take some comfort clothes for your private time.

Academia changes on a dime, so do not lose touch with your three contacts. follow up with them, try to ascertain precisely why the programs/positions were withdrawn. Maintain goodwill with them. See if anyone there is working on these areas, and if they would like some unofficial collaboration until something official opens up. Stay busy. Keep up the diet and dancing, and increase the meditations. Change your routine, even if just to go out for a walk.

Know that we are here for you so don't hesitate to ring our bell.

Hugs, Barbara