PDA

View Full Version : Heels at the Home Center

linda allen
11-29-2012, 08:56 AM
I often say that GGs don't dress up to run errands and I still think that's true for the most part. Yesterday I was in Lowes (a large chain home center for those of you not in the USA) shopping for hardware when I saw a woman (yes, a GG) wearing skinny jeans and heels, probably 3" high looking at lightbulbs. As I said, she was wearing jeans but they were dress jeans and she was otherwise well dressed. Hair done and makeup but sunglasses.

So you can do it, but people will notice (I did). :heehee:

vikki2020
11-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Yes, it's not the usual "outfit" you see there, but, I go in Home Depot, and Menards all the time--skirt,and heels,lol! And, I suppose you DO get noticed! Actually, Menards has just about everything now, including groceries, and you do see a lot of woman shoppers there.

joank
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Last year I was out on a Sunday for breakfast in a skirt and heels. I had to go to Lowe's for some plumbing stuff. It was really interesting to walk the isles in 3" heels. I also recieved quick help from a sales associate and another customer. No snickers or negatives. Same at the check out counter. It was a positive time (but I have not gone back dressed). Money talks an I hope my presentation was just an older woman dressed for church. I think us 60's (age) folks can overdress some because that was how it was back in the day.

Dana921
11-29-2012, 10:23 AM
If I want quick help, I dress in a short skirt and look nice because I get faster / better service! Now it may be because I look cute (I wish) or they are trying to get rid of me faster because they are embarrassed! Heehee! Either way they have always helped me and been nice at either Lowes or Home Depot. Though I do not dress just to go there, I do not hesitate to stop in if I am. So I expect GG's are running errands during the day and that is simply one stop, most others do not know your schedule for the day and thus being appropriately dressed.

Dana

~Joanne~
11-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I see women wearing heels all over the place. Saw one this morning at Krogers. Very nice dress she had on too ;) I think that if a GG is leaving home to go shopping, it is more of a casual look but if she is coming/going to/form work it is more of a dressy look. If their job requires one. Just as most won't get dressed up to go shopping, most won't go home to dress down before going shopping if they are already out.

MsRenee
11-29-2012, 11:56 AM
I saw a lady cab driver in a dress and heels one day. It was kinda nice but not sure how long she lasted that day in heels loading bags into he trunk.
Renee

docrobbysherry
11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Sorry! I wouldn't even have noticed her. I don't consider 3" to be "heels". Even some of my drab boots have 3" heels. None of my fem shoes/boots r less than 3 3/4". Most r over 4". Women in over 5" heels, I usually notice.

JenniferMBlack
11-29-2012, 12:22 PM
I work at Lowe's and see women in there all the time dressed nicely and wearing heels, not even an odd thing there.

"Mary"
11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
I know a lot of businesses have accounts with these stores. So, a lot of times they send out an "office girl" to get supplies at a lot of different places for hardware and such stuff. I think this is a significant portion of the better dressed women we see at stores in the daytime.

linda allen
12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Sorry! I wouldn't even have noticed her. I don't consider 3" to be "heels". Even some of my drab boots have 3" heels. None of my fem shoes/boots r less than 3 3/4". Most r over 4". Women in over 5" heels, I usually notice.These were the ones with the long pointed toes and the very skinny heel. 3/4" or so.

I didn't stop and measure her heels, I'm just estimating. And I didn't want to follow her around as if I was stalking her.

Kate Simmons
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Outstanding women usually get noticed one way or the other Hon. :battingeyelashes::)

Sandra bailey
12-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Sherry you would notice me in 3 inch heels i'm 6 feet 1 but I so love 5 inch heels especially with a short tight skirt.

Eryn
12-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Women often run errands while dressed for other occasions. Sunday mornings often sees women dressed in their go-to-church outfits running various errands. Businesswomen drop by grocery or drug stores on the way home. A few women live in heels and don't feel comfortable in flats.

Now, whether we should wear heels in similar situations depends upon one's goals. If you want to stand out there's no better way!

GG7irish
12-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Ok now I am sure I will get mixed responses to this. But for one I am only 5'4" so I tend to wear heels alot. If I am going to a hardwear store I will wear heels if going alone and here is why.......I am clueless I am lucky to figure out which end of the hammer to use. It is amazing how fast a girl can get the help she needs in one of these stores, you find what you need and get in and out of the store so much faster :).......
Heels are a girl's secret weapon in more ways than one lol...(PS I no longer need to use my heels )

LaraPeterson
12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Sandra, I'm with you. I'm only 5'9", but in the 5" heels I wear most of the time, I'm 6'2". That is a tall girl. So, when I'm standing in a crowd, I look for the really tall guys! I find that their eyes always turn toward the tall girl. Not a bad thing, cause we dress to be seen, right?

heatherdress
12-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't think Lowes or Home Depot would be at the top of my list of places to go when I am dressed.

GiannaD
12-04-2012, 02:48 AM
GREAT THREAD! Damn I'm glad I read it, cause I'm 6 ft and the taller the heel, the better (my fav's are 5") I heard it here than be read. Guess the next pair of shoes I get will be those flats everyone is wearing!

Beverley Sims
12-04-2012, 05:45 AM
I wouldn't do it because I could get noticed. :)

erickka
12-04-2012, 06:53 AM
I have seen mostly younger (18-25 or so) GG's wearing nice jeans and heels to be pretty much the norm lately. A nice caboose in snug jeans and heels gets my attention every time!!

linda allen
12-04-2012, 07:42 AM
I probably should have mentioned that my part of the country is pretty casual. Sneakers or sandals are the norm for feminine footwear except for "dressup" (night clubs, dances, etc.)

Connie D50
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Linda that was me you should have said Hi just kidding have a great day Connie

kimdl93
12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah, the lady in the skinny jeans and heels was an exception. I do see more women out well dressed on Sundays, probably still dressed from after church. And I suppose the occassional vistior to Lowes will pop in on the way to someplace where more formal attire is merited.

She probably looked a lot better than I would, so being noticed was alright with her ;)

CDValerie80
12-08-2012, 06:16 PM
As for me, I love it when my fiance comes with me to do some quick errands or shopping. She's always dressed nice wearing very high heels and either a cute dress or nice jeans and I tell you.... I envy her so much for the following:

1) She gets help immediately! LOL
2) She gets all the looks (I wish I was getting the looks if I could have the courage to go out dressed for running errands)

It does makes things easier for me because like I said in #1, I'll go to a different part of the aisle and they'll come to help her and I'll use that as the "bait", LOL! Now I have the help we need!

Cheryl T
12-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Heels go great with jeans, there's no doubt about that.
Now if she had been wearing a leather mini skirt with fishnet stockings...then she would have gotten looks ... and so would we.

Sandra1746
12-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Did you catch the recent video clip of her playing field hockey in boots with heels? Aside: she can run in heels really well. She was visiting a girls school and decided to "mug" for the press corps. That's her job after all.

The GG you saw may simply like dressing like that, or she could have stopped at the hardware store on her way to or from some other event, like work or church. Yes, that style is rare at hardware stores but not at all outlandish.

Be yourself and don't worry about what others may think,
Sandra1746

Prissy Linda
12-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Oh i'm sure she was noticed but i'll bet no one was offended. A well dressed lady is a treat to the eyes no matter where it's at.