PDA

View Full Version : What Kinda Things Would You Wanna Do For The Trans Community?

WillowWriter
12-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Have you ever tossed around ideas for helping trans community? Have a chance to try your luck, speak your mind and try to help all those out there who relate to being trans. I often think about that, and I'm starting to plan it out. I really wanna help out with the entire community. Does this sound possible? Yes, with the right hook, you can catch anything that comes your way. What I wanna know is what would you want to see as a support to the trans community? Would you start a Vlog? A Blog? What kinda stuff would you wanna do?

NathalieX66
12-02-2012, 09:39 PM
my internet's down at the moment, no fault of me, the lines in my town are bad because of hurricane sandy, so i'm typing this on my phone

answer: donate money to the Trangender Legal Defense Fund TLDEF.....transgenderlegal.org
$25 is enough to start with. I met Michael Silverman who runs it, he's a great guy!

Roberta Marie
12-02-2012, 09:58 PM
While I'm not sure ho to go about doing it, I wou ld like to:

1. Show trans people that they are OK, not weird, wacko or sick.
2. Show the general community that trans people are OK, not weird, wacko or sick.
3. Show the christian community that trans people are OK, not weird, wacko or sick.
4. Show the trans community that most christians are OK, not weird, wacko or sick.

Lady Catherine
12-02-2012, 10:03 PM
If I had the $$$, I would build a community where we could all go to feel free and work and live together in peace and harmony so we could show the world we are productive caring members of society.

Jamie001
12-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Get out of the closet and interact with people in the community. Show everyone that we are proud of who we are and are normal. Hiding in the closet will not advance our causes.

PretzelGirl
12-02-2012, 10:15 PM
First, I think everyone here is already making a difference by participating in this site and providing support to each other.

But I don't mind being involved but I am unsure how far I would want to take it. I am involved in local groups already. I am marginally involved in Diva Las Vegas and that could grow after this year (may be this year). But I think that anyone who is going to do a lot, doesn't know what they will be doing yet. Those types of efforts tend to present themselves to you instead of being something you plan and work towards.

Eryn
12-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Moderate a forum that deals with TG issues.

Oh, I already do that! :o

I think that folks getting out into the community are an important step to gaining acceptance. It is much easier to fear that which you never see.

I also do not tolerate friends, even those who only know my drab side, being disrespectful of LGBT people. That might call into question my own orientation, but I have the self-confidence to weather that storm. If they want to be Neanderthals they can do it when I'm not around.

Rogina B
12-03-2012, 06:42 AM
I am the "Transambassador" to the T community for the Unitarian Church that I attend as part of the LGBTQ welcoming committee. I encourage others to enjoy the openness and acceptance of the UU church. It is a place that people can be accepted for being a person.I am amazed how so many T's want acceptance,yet won't go looking for new friends at a place where total acceptance is the norm,not the exception. And,like Eryn,I stand up to anyone ignorant enough to put down the LGBTQ community..Funny how that changes when they find their son,daughter,or best friend is "queer".

Jay Cee
12-03-2012, 07:04 AM
I'd like to do tours of some kind with CD's and TS's. Nothing major: short hikes or canoe trips, etc. Something where they could be out in nature as their true selves, and they would feel safe in doing so.

My hat's off to all the people who help the trans community in any way. Thank you!

Kate Simmons
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Other than being here to help others with understanding dressing and themselves, not much. I extend my friendship to others as "older sister" and mostly show by example and share experiences. If you are referring to some kind of activism, that can be a pretty lonely road sometimes, especially when dealing with heated issues.:)

Dana921
12-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I think every time each of us presents as whom we feel we are, to one or many people we help reduce the social stygma of a person wearing what is thought to be another gender's clothes. We change and desensitize the belief that we are confined or defined by our attire.

Dana