PDA

View Full Version : Family acceptence

Stormy L
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
How did you all get your parents and other family members to accept you as cross dressers and transgender people?

I tried with my mom and she will not accept the fact that I am this way at all. In fact when I tried to it turned into a big fight with her and I ended up locking myself in my room and would not come out until she stopped talking about it.

I have not told my dad yet about me being transgender but we do not have a relationship to begin with his choice not mine.

Can someone out there please give me some advice on how to prove that you mean what you say when you come out as being transgender and a cross dresser.

bridget thronton
12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
My parents are deadline - i was not ready to tell them (I would be willing to tell my mom now). I told my kids are their spouse's and they are OK with it.

Angela Campbell
12-03-2012, 10:29 AM
You have to be able to judge them on their personality. I know that my Mother is old school and will never understand something such as this. She would take the attitude of "stop being silly and start acting right" so I have never talked to her about it and keep it a secret from her and all of my children. My kids, at least my daughters would likely accept it but they live in another state so I have declined on the chance it may alter their lives. We have lived with this for some time but it would be something new to our family so that should be taken into consideration.

Beverley Sims
12-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Just be pleasant around everyone and do not show angst.
Eventually their views will soften if you show a caring and gentle nature.
Avoid confrontation and arguments about anything.

Kate Simmons
12-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Our actions always speak louder than our words my friend. You may need to show that you are the same person inside that your Mom and family know and love.:)

Jenniferathome
12-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Stormy, you can't "make them understand." Some family can not deal with it. You just have to live your life honestly.

Cassandra Lynn
12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Yeah, i instantly tripped when i read the "get them to understand part" too.

How one comes out is always important and helpful to the outcome.
There's much more to it then just saying it.
There are plenty of threads around here to read up on and see if you did yourself any favors.

I would suggest you give her a few days to absorb it then do your best to persuade her to research the topic. Sadly, a majority of people have no idea what being trans means.