PDA

View Full Version : Not your fathers typical American family....

ReneeT
12-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I have mentioned in previous posts that I have found a church that really meets my spiritual needs in an open and accepting way - I became an official member about a month ago and have become quite involved socially as well. I have made many good friends, mostly LGBT, but some straight too.

This past Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent, and a gay man that I have become somewhat close with asked me if I would join him, his 24 yo single daughter and her 4 yo son in lighting the first Advent candle during service. And do a reading and lead a prayer! Now I have never done anything in church before accept attend - never have I had any sort of active role, and certainly not in a skirt and heels!. So of course I said yes! So there we were, a gay man, a transexual woman, an unwed mother, and her child, representing the family of God! What a sight! I can tell you with certainty that this was occurring in no other church in Chattanooga, TN last weekend!

This is what I wore...I have never worn red lipsitick before - i kinda like it!

MsRenee
12-03-2012, 07:53 PM
You look great. I love goinv to church its so uplifting I had several attendees aproaxh me with all sorr of questions for which i was glad to answer. Its as much a learning for them as well as us. Just because its a church shouldnt stop anyone.
Renee

kristinacd55
12-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Good for you Renee....however you can connect to the Higher Power is awesome!

rachaelsloane
12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
You're looking good there girl and glad to hear things are falling into place.

oh hey its anya
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
So there we were, a gay man, a transexual woman, an unwed mother, and her child, representing the family of God!

I imagine God would consider this perfect. Bravo! <3

SuzanneBender
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Renee I believe your church family is the exact family that God wants us to have. You post is very very inspirational. OBTW you look fabulous.

brenne
12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Nice churchgoer outfit Renee - I attend a church too (starts with an M) when I can get up and be around people in the morning ... (met a CD there before that told me about my TG support group - so that's how I started CD in public again...)

Michelle.M
12-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I imagine God would consider this perfect. Bravo! <3

Yes, absolutely!

Barbara Ella
12-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Renee, you look lovely, and afterall, isn't this what he was after all along.

Barbara

Kate Simmons
12-04-2012, 08:21 AM
True family members are those who care for one another. Mission accomplished the way I see it Hon. :)

robyn1114
12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
You look great, it's about time someone shattered the closed minded views on family.

kimdl93
12-04-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm glad that you found a community that is accepting and encouraging. And have made friends that accept you as you are. And you look gorgeous in red!

melissaK
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Thumbs up! And the new American family is something to celebrate. You're evidence of amazing social change just in our lifetimes.

Mid summer my best freinds daughter got married to an Army NCO. My best friend is retired USAF. The Best Man is a Corporal. Hence lots of military dress uniforms on hand. Friends included my white among white Irish-American self, my Amerasian wife and brothers, the 100% Hispanic mother of the bride, the Maid of Honors mother and her lesbian life Partner, a Chinese born Canadian, African American friends from the mother of the brides work, to name a few. Jobs represented were lawyers, judges, teachers, engineers, realtors, psychologists, lots of administrative workers from diverse companies, and several hders of top secret clearances. Politically there were Republican and Democratic party precinct chairs. And all in a Lutheran church.

A new America is out there.

ArleneRaquel
12-04-2012, 06:56 PM
You look great. Red lipstick is " da bomb".:)

StephanieC
12-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm glad you had a great experience...and the outfit looks great.

I sing in a choir that performs periodically at church services...most of the choir members are from that church but some of us are not.

-stephani

Tammy V
12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
You look great and make a perfect "church lady". The red lipstick is a nice touch also and is perfect for Sunday outfits.