PDA

View Full Version : Freddy's Frozen Custard

Persephone
12-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Roaring across America we stopped at one of our all-time favorite places, Rock City, a very unique site just outside of Minneapolis, Kansas, population ~2,042.

Kansas is basically flat open plains with occasional rolling hills, and most certainly no rocks. So finding rocks, particularly strange unusual rocks, in Kansas is pretty awesome. And it isn't easy.

The rocks are huge, largely spherical, concretions, over 200 of them in a tiny spce about the size of two football fields. There appears to be nowhere else in the world where there are so many concretions of such giant size, and it is in a tiny spot between farms in rockless Kansas!

We had first found this place back in the 1970's/80's, then lost it for many years, then, with the advent of the internet, had searched and searched, not finding it for many years. After finally finding it again we made our first return trip in 2007 and our third visit this week.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/2012-12-03123657RockCity.jpg

We now know that it is outside Minneapolis, Kansas (NOT Minnesota!) and is at latitude 39.09084 North, longitude -97.73526 (West).

After a great visit to Rock City we headed back down the road and we found the place so beloved by our own Frédérique, Freddy's Frozen Custard! After the big buildup Frédérique has given it, we just had to try Freddy's.

Oddly enough, after a visit to the Rock City concretions, it was really interesting to find out that Freddy's calls their sundaes "concretes"!

As I chatted a bit with the staff, I'm ashamed to say I downed an incredible mini-concrete "Signature Turtle, an aggregation of frozen custard (it normally includes vanila frozen custard but I selected chocolate), hot fudge, hot caramel, toasted pecans, whipped cream, and a cherry!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/2012-12-03152126FreddysFrozenCustard-1.jpg

Then it was back on the road!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Meghan
12-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Hi Persephone,

I grew up and have spent half of my life in Kansas. The open plains are breathtaking. I didn't appreciate it as much when I lived there, I constantly thought about getting out of there. But as I look back, it's one of the most open and beautiful places on earth.

Oh, and there's a Freddys in my home town!

I believe a friend of mine also writes a blog under a similar name!

Thank you so much for the note. I am glad you were inspired to write about Kansas. That was my first home...

Meghan

Lady Slipper
12-05-2012, 02:38 AM
Wow, those are some bizarre rocks, they look igneous, is that some sort of state/national park?

Beverley Sims
12-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Nice rocks, I see some interesting ones in New Zealand when I go there.
Enjoy your trip I will follow it with interest.

Frédérique
12-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Cool! :battingeyelashes:

Kansas is basically flat open plains with occasional rolling hills, and most certainly no rocks. So finding rocks, particularly strange unusual rocks, in Kansas is pretty awesome. And it isn't easy.

You are correct! You weren’t very far from where I live – perhaps 35-40 miles away. I’ve been to Rock City exactly once, many years ago. Kansas actually has many odd rocks here and there – I’ve seen most of them. It’s a great place to let your skirt blow around, and that alone is worth the trip…
:)

After a great visit to Rock City we headed back down the road and we found the place so beloved by our own Frédérique, Freddy's Frozen Custard! After the big buildup Frédérique has given it, we just had to try Freddy's.

Oddly enough, I’ve never been inside a Freddy’s Frozen Custard, even though my thread in the Writer’s Society was inspired by the name! After seeing the one in Salina, KS I got the initial idea. The rocks at Rock City are indeed concretions, unique to this central KS area. I know this is a crossdressing site and not a geology discussion forum, but I’ve attached two of my photos of Kansas rocks, from my now-defunct “Kansas Album” – one of Mushroom Rocks State Park in Carneiro (the same type of concretions at Rock City), and one of Monument Rocks in western Kansas. The latter, a series of solitary limestone formations, is an especially good place to crossdress in peace, way off the beaten track in what they call “God’s Country.” I wish I was there right now, but I can’t afford the gas (it’s a 7-hour round trip from here). Kansas is BIG, and I've crossdressed from Kanorado to Kansas City...

ShannonDragon
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Rock City Kansas is new to me. I am familiar with Rock City TN on top of Lookout Mt.
Been there many times when I was a young-in...

kimdl93
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Sounds delicious and educational!

Persephone
12-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Kansas is indeed beautiful in its own way, Meghan. And you now live near my hometown of Palm Beach. It was a wonderful place to grow up, but I'm not sure that I could live there now.

I too originally thought the rocks were igneous, Lady Slipper. After wondering about their origins for many years I learned that lava from the eruption of the Yellowstone Supervolcano presumably landed in Kansas and immediately thought that I had an explaination of "our rocks." They certainly look igneous and the round shape suggests volcanic, but geologists seem to feel that they are sedimentary "concretions." That still bothers me.

Thanks for the pictures, Frédérique! We've been to three of the four Kansas rock formations, but didn't even know about Mushroom Rock until you, and someone at Rock City, mentioned it. Have you been to Castle Rock?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/CastleRockKansas2005.jpg
Castle Rock

I think it is rapdly deteriorating. The tallest spire fell a number of years ago. It is quite near Monument Rocks, and, yes, both seem to be quiet contemplative places to crossdress.

As I recall, when we went out to Monument Rocks we had to wait for a herd of cattle to cross the dirt road before we could go on.

I did discover that your town was only about 35 miles away and would have loved to have visited you and had a spot of tea, but up until that morning we had planned on taking a different route, dropping down through Wichita and heading west on I-40. I didn't have your phone number nor address and the idea of wandering through Lindsborg asking if anyone knew Frédérique just didn't sound ideal.

The same was true today when we visited St. George, Utah. I know we have some wonderful members in the area, members whom I hope to someday meet, but didn't know how to get in touch.

It has been a long but wonderful trip from Michigan but I do hope we will be home in Los Angeles as planned on Thursday night as I have aesthetician and manicure appointments on Friday.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Persephone
12-07-2012, 03:00 AM
We arrived home tonight! Some 2,599 road trip miles from where we started.

As we were driving through Victorville, California, my son said, "You're not going to believe this!"

He took the next exit and, after a turn or two, found

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/2012-12-06154231FreddysInVictorville.jpg

Yep! A shiny brand new Freddy's Frozen Custard! The first and only one in the state of California! (Note the palmetto plant in the photo above). Right near the site of the first Sonic in California! You have to wonder what Victorville has that attracts out-of-state fast foods.

Of course we stopped and had a final go for this trip, filling up on shakes and concretes (Freddy's word for Sundaes).

Tomorrow is a flurry of girlworld activities, stop by a friend's house to pick up our mail, aesthetician, manicure, and an evening dinner and concert with friends. After all I've eaten on this trip I hope I can borrow some clothes from the Goodyear blimp!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Frédérique
12-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Have you been to Castle Rock?

Yes, I have, in fact I was there before that major piece of it collapsed. Since I’ve been visiting, and then living, in Kansas, three rock formations have collapsed, either partially or totally – there’s Castle Rock, Cobra Rock (near the former), and "The Sphinx," a small formation near Monument Rocks (and named by me). The rocks are remnants of the prehistoric ocean floor, formed from fossils during the Cretaceous Period. When a rock collapses the fossil hunters will descend upon it – nothing is left of Cobra Rock. BTW, I have a small, chalky piece of Castle Rock in my rock garden...

Continuing this visual tour of Kansas geological crossdressing hotspots, I’ve attached three more of my Kansas rock photos: one of castle Rock, one of Cobra Rock, and one of the Chalk Bluffs (a secret place) in western KS – the latter includes the shadow of Freddy...

I didn't have your phone number nor address and the idea of wandering through Lindsborg asking if anyone knew Frédérique just didn't sound ideal.

Nobody knows Freddy. I’m an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, smothered in super-secret sauce, and I cultivate invisibility in my little Kansas town. That being said, thanks very much for thinking of me!
:)