PDA

View Full Version : After shaving ???

Janice An
12-05-2012, 07:05 AM
I know it is recommended to use a moisturizing lotion after shaving your legs or what ever.

My question is could there be some kind of consenus on which brand or type of lotion that works better than most to help alleviate or prevent itching ??

I have tried some inexpensive and medium priced products and can't tell any differences.

If I get 100 replies there will probably be 100 different answers but I am hoping there may be 1 or 2 outstanding products that work really well.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Janice

Brynn_A
12-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Hi Jan. I do not experience itching immediately post shave. My understanding is that since shaving damages the skin that using moisturizer after helps the healing process and rejuvenates the skin faster. As for a specific brand? I've tried many and personally prefer those with Shea Butter as they seem to work best for me and I love the earthy aroma.

I Am Paula
12-05-2012, 10:15 AM
I moisturize everyday, shaving or not. For legs and body I use a cheaper drugstore brand like Nivea or Neutrogena, in a big pump bottle. For my face, it's after shower, after shaving, after removing make up at night. You can't over moisturize. I use Clinique or Lancome on my face.-Celeste

Gillian Gigs
12-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Mary Kay makes some wonderful skin care products. The "Body Care Moisturizing Lotion" works well for me. It can be used for all of your skin except your face. They have excellent products for facial care.

heather1968
12-05-2012, 10:50 AM
While your legs or other body parts are still wet apply baby oil or other oil type moisturizer and allow to dry with water.

LaraPeterson
12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Jan, since I shave all over every other day, this has become a very important issue for me, too. Your itching may be caused more by the razor you use than the shaving itself. A couple of years ago someone suggested that I try the Gillette Fusion (now Proglide) and when I did the skin irritation just about vanished. The other thing to consider is how many times you shave before changing blades. Dull blades pull at the skin instead of gliding over it.

As for moisturizers, I use St. Ives Intensive Healing. It is a thick, creamy moisturizer without much scent. It goes on really smooth and penetrates quickly so as to avoid staining clothes. I use a LOT of it and I rarely ever itch or have irritation. It's not very expensive and most of the big box discounters sell it.

Happy shaving!

Cheryl T
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I like Gold Bond healing moisturizer. It seems to soak in relatively quickly, leaves my legs silky and soft. It's fairly inexpensive too.

Kate Simmons
12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Actually, I don't moisturize my body after I shave, only my face with Vit. E cream. It depends on our individual bodies mostly but I've found drinking a good amount of water during the day helps to hydrate me for the most part. :)

Eryn
12-06-2012, 01:09 AM
I was having problems with my legs itching, though I don't think it had anything to do with being smooth. I've had the same problem with a full growth of hair. I was rubbing my feet against my legs hard enough to break the skin.

Mimi suggested that i try Aveeno lotion. It did the trick, no more itching!

cathie pantyhose
12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Living in a semi arid place as Colorado is, lotion is everywhere and moisturizing is almost a an every day event. Ive used many brands and wish they'd bring back the hair minimizing lotions but since they are almost all gone, I've enjoyed using Suave Advanced Therapy lotion but I combine it with moisturizers in the shower as well. I never use moisturizers after using epilating but in the shower I use a combo of items. "Caress Glowing Touch" and "Gold Bond Ultimate Healing" body wash. Before drying off I use Johnson's baby oil. I dab dry the baby oil and add a layer of the Suave lotion mentioned above. Whether for after shaving or not, I get the nicest leg shine and softest legs from these items

susangirl
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Janice, I always use johnsons baby oil once out of the shower or tub before I dry off. It's cheap and works really well. Never had any skin issues and it feels great. If you heading out on the town it will make your legs look awesome in sheer natural color stockings or pantyhose. Love the baby oil stuff.

sometimes_miss
12-06-2012, 05:14 PM
I shave in the shower; step in, just stand under the hot running water for about 5 minutes, don't use soap yet, it allows the natural oils of the skin to assist in the razor sliding over it without damage. Keep skin 'taught', stretched to be sort of tight, like a tent when pitched has the canvas pulled smooth. Lather with Edge for sensitive skin; Shave downward. Rinse; lather again, shave upward. Rinse; lather again, shave sideways. All hair is gone, skin moisturized, no stubble. Shampoo, condition what hair I have left on top of my head, then wash everything else.

Kaz
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I get itching sometimes, but not often... it is a rare occurrence. I only moisturise when I am feeling like treating myself! I shave all over every other day using a Gillette Fusion 5 blade, while in a bath or in the shower. No shaving cream. I want the experience to be brief and to the point most of the time.... well, except for those special times... candles, foam bath, etc... :)