PDA

View Full Version : FIFTEEN DAYS folks. Just for fun...?

Wildaboutheels
12-06-2012, 07:55 PM
[And this thread is for those of you just itchin' to leap out of your closets but haven't yet]

Aren't you going to feel awful silly IF Dec 21st rolls around, and you wake up to news on every single TV and radio channel that an asteroid just 2 kilometers in diameter was spotted overnight and will hit the earth at 1725 EST with catastrophic consequences?

Those Mayans WERE pretty smart folks. I wonder how many of them might have been CDers?

ArleneRaquel
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
My understanding of the so called Mayan Prophicies is that they have nothing to do with the End of the World, but are concerned with the world entering a new epoch.

docrobbysherry
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Don't worry, 3W. Unless you're Mayan? Only Mayan's world ends then!

giuseppina
12-06-2012, 09:21 PM
By this time, the experts would have some idea of where the extraterrestrial object is expected to land. That would be enough time to get everybody moved out of the way in an orderly manner.

The possibility of an asteroid or other object striking Earth was discussed on Quirks and Quarks on 2012/12/01. A podcast of the radio show can be found at www.cbc.ca/quirks. It amazed me how many of the small objects have already been found and mapped.

I'm sure there are people working on how to respond to an emergency such as this. Perhaps something could be sent up to nudge the object into a safe trajectory. The little bit I heard of the interview suggested the unsafe zone was very small. There is no need to be dramatic and destroy the object, as that may create more problems than it solves.

I would be more interested in survival than crossdressing, but that's me.

ambigendrous
12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
The Mayan calendar ends on 12/21/2012 - our calendar ends on 12/31/2012. Fortunately we have thought ahead and already have the next calendar in place; the Mayans figured that their calendar was long enough that they wouldn't be around to need a new one, so they didn't bother making one. If there are any practicing Mayans still around they're probably laughing at us (while they're putting the finishing touches on their new calendar!).

Angela Campbell
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I thought the world was supposed to end on Jan 1 2000........Y2K

Kate Simmons
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm not holding my breath or counting on it Hon. I do know what will occur is a paradigm shift from the previous "norm" and way of doing things. In fact just about every institution has more or less already crashed and it's all running by inertia. it should be interesting in any case.:)

Angela Campbell
12-06-2012, 09:57 PM
a paradigm shift from the previous "norm" .......like maybe men will start wearing dresses?

AllyCDTV
12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
I would feel pretty silly if I heard something like that on the TV or radio because the only way that I could be hearing that is if somebody slipped me a tab of acid and I was hallucinating.

Aloha Jayne
12-06-2012, 10:36 PM
How ironic if we somehow survive the end of the world, only to fall off the fiscal cliff 10 days later!

Duana
12-06-2012, 11:04 PM
By this time, the experts would have some idea of where the extraterrestrial object is expected to land. That would be enough time to get everybody moved out of the way in an orderly manner.

Where did you get that idea? With the past 5 years, 2 dinosaur killers have buzzed within the moon's distance from earth and both were spotted AFTER they passed. We have completely insufficient asteroid/comet detection in place. And I suppose it's because it doesn't matter anyway. We couldn't do anything about it if we did see one.

As for moving people, depending on the asteroid, that may or may not help. Do you know how many people you have to move, and how far you have to move them if a 1,000' tsunami was approaching the East Coast of the USA? And if you do survive, it may just be long enough to suffer nuclear winter and die of cold or starvation.

Jorja
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
I still think it would be great if something weird or out of the ordinary would happen. Of course no one gets hurt or anything.

Wildaboutheels
12-06-2012, 11:32 PM
A lot of folks believe in Ancient Aliens. And that mankind, thousands of years ago, MUST have had some type of outside help or influence, in order to account for some still unsolved puzzles. Just one of them. VVV

http://www.lost-civilizations.net/inca-nazca-lines.html

Wouldn't it be cool IF... maybe... "they" said they would return to earth on Dec 21st, 2012?

Rachel Morley
12-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I have no idea but I did read this:

"The belief that the world will end on December 21 - 2012 derives in part from archaeoastronomical speculation, alternative interpretations of mythology and alleged prophecies from extraterrestrial beings. Modern astronomers and scientists have rejected the apocalyptic forecasts and NASA likens fears about 2012 to those about the Y2K bug in the late 1990s, suggesting that an adequate analysis should stem fears of disaster.

There is a one incident that all astronomers and scientists agree on. It is a galactic alignment. In the mid-1990s, John Major Jenkins asserted that the ancient Maya intended to tie the end of their calendar to the winter solstice in 2012, which falls on December 21. During the winter solstice in 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in about 26,000 years. This means that "whatever energy" that typically streams to Earth from the center of the Milky Way will indeed be disrupted on December 21, 2012."

Duana
12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
I have no doubt that Dec 21 will pass like any other day, with the same odds of it being the last as Dec 20 and 22. I don't believe any of the Mayan crap. The point I was making is that, we're TOTALLY vulnerable to an asteroid strike and there is virtually zero protection against it and there can, very likely, be zero warning of impact.

Barbara Ella
12-07-2012, 12:21 AM
It really is just another reason to have one hell of a party on that day. One way or the other, you will be either going out celebrating, or celebrating that nothing happened. Win Win. Myself, I am looking forward to New Years Eve....

Barbara

Jeannie
12-07-2012, 12:51 AM
If the Mayans were so smart, how come they didn't see the Spanish coming.

Beverley Sims
12-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Like all the other disasters the "Asteroid" will hit California at a place called San Francisco or maybe Holly Wood in that other city, I forgot it's name.
This will devastate the Yew Nited Statse and leave the rest of the world that hasn't got any bomb shelters or doomsday preppers to get on with their lives.
Thailand will still be the capital of the transgendered world and the Chinese Yuan will be the major currency and France will have another chance to launch it's language as the international language.

Wildaboutheels
12-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Well, IF there is even the slightest possibility that the world could or might end, isn't that as good a reason as any to break outa the closet? Sometime in the next 15 days? What better excuse could one have than the possible end of Humanity???

Duana
12-07-2012, 02:07 AM
If the Mayans were so smart, how come they didn't see the Spanish coming.

Actually, who says they weren't? The REAL Mayan's disappeared hundreds of years ago.

AllyCDTV
12-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Still...I would welcome that cold hard blue light shining in my bedroom window...me being levitated into the grey aliens ship...and being whisked away for a minute or a day...(BUT PRAY...no longer :))
And when they pull out that probe which they stick in a place that is not designed for things to go into?:yucky:

Sunny50
12-07-2012, 02:41 AM
While I don't believe oneway or the other, I do know that I have chosen to fully enjoy as much as possible in my life and hopefully all who know me have found life a bit better and more enjoyable. Of course just because their calander end on said date, doesn't mean that they weren't going to make another one to continue life. Hay we print most of our calanders every year.
Asteroids: several heading this way, just a question of how soon, including one the size of Texas. Of course right now they say it should miss us by about1250 miles,but will still raise havock with our graviety.

Kaz
12-07-2012, 02:45 AM
When the aliens get me I just I hope I am dressed as Kaz and have packed my suitcase!

GabbiSophia
12-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Don't worry, 3W. Unless you're Mayan? Only Mayan's world ends then!

LMAO!!! I read where they are preparing rituals for the end of the world. Noth sure what that entails?? maybe a last meal or having clean underwear?? To funny

Didn't it ??

sometimes_miss
12-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Right. Just spotted overnight. No one noticed it until then. Sure. Oh yeah, I think the Mayan's world pretty much ended centuries ago. So much for their being able to predict the future, they didn't see THAT coming, did they!

Cheryl T
12-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Well, I won't be going to work that day...I'll be spending it dressed and enjoying my last moments.

AllyCDTV
12-07-2012, 02:12 PM
YEAH! Put it in...pull it out! I'm all about the shout! ooooooooooooH..yet another rhyme! :)

WHO says it ain't designed to go in there? HUMANS have a lot of stuff designed to stick up where the sun don't shine...Male and Female.....don't we?

You've seen my myriad posts...BE HONEST NOW dearest Ally! DON'T I preach honesty? 'Course I do........:)

Point taken (no pun intended), but do you really want to be strapped down and have some ugly gray alien administering it? Now if I was strapped down and the alien administering it looked like a cute T-gurl. Hmmm. :daydreaming:

sterling12
12-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Oh God! You mean I purchased all those Festivus Presents for nothing?

Sure hope Walmart hasn't heard about this. I might be able to take em' back. Anybody know anything about A policy pertaining to returns, if The End of The World happens? And all The Merchants were expecting such a good holiday selling season this year!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Annaliese
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't know about the end of the world, but last night I thought it was the end of the World when the Mormon Church announce that it is not a chose that Gays they are gay. I am Mormon and it shock me when I heard it.

Wildaboutheels
12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
14 DAYS ... and counting.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

kimdl93
12-07-2012, 02:37 PM
The Mayan calendar ends on 12/21/2012 - our calendar ends on 12/31/2012. Fortunately we have thought ahead and already have the next calendar in place; the Mayans figured that their calendar was long enough that they wouldn't be around to need a new one, so they didn't bother making one. If there are any practicing Mayans still around they're probably laughing at us (while they're putting the finishing touches on their new calendar!).

Turns out the Mayans are still around. Those who survived the Spanish Conquest adopted the gregorian calendar, blended their beliefs with Catholicism. One might suggest that thier calendar actually ended around 1546!

Hannah_88
12-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Actually it did. It's just that everybody has been too busy to notice...

(That's a quote that I stole from someone, don't remember who)

Alberta_Pat
12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
If the Mayans are wrong, we can count down for the Hindu end of the Kali Yuga in 2025.

http://www.viewzone.com/kali.html

JulieK1980
12-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Actually, who says they weren't? The REAL Mayan's disappeared hundreds of years ago.

Actually the "real" Mayans are still farming and living in small villages in Eastern parts of Mexico. If you travel there, you can take guided tours of some of their villages, (That's how a lot of them eek out a living these days) Unfortunately though, they are dwindling in numbers, and live in destitution and poverty.

NicoleScott
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
How interesting. I haven't been keeping up with this. I've been too busy looking for aliens and bigfoot.

AllyCDTV
12-07-2012, 06:34 PM
according to all the aliens I've seen...well the Nordics are quite cute...the Grays are VERY boring, The short ones do the Tall ones bidding...and the Tall ones like to cross dress...but BORING fabrics...silver lame', gray WOOL fer' cryin' out loud...but they wear some VERY cute thigh-high black patent leather lace-up platform boots (That's why they're SO tall).... the Insectoids....BAH! They make too much noise...all that cricket and whadayacallit...those big locust-looking things...clacking and screetching all the live-long day...the tall WHITES are silent and smell like last years garbage...the Reptilians smell just about as bad...AND THEIR EYES DON'T BLINK!

Disconcerting that!
I really think you need to get out more and expand your universe. Certainly Captain Kirk had his share of some really hot aliens like that Orion slave girl. And then there is my fave, Caprica-Six, the humaniod Cylon from the latest Battlestar Galactica. In fact, a lot of those humanoid Cylons were pretty hot.

kimdl93
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Purple, are you suggesting that we Nordics are aliens? ;)

Wildaboutheels
12-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Seven of nine was certainly an interesting "woman"...

And I KNOW at least a few here remember WHO Jolene Blalock was?

I don't believe anyone here would refuse to be a patient of either one of them ... would they?

Marguarite
12-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Someone just misread the Mayan, It's a giant hemeroid that's going to hit the planet and we won't be able to sit for a year!

AllyCDTV
12-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Seven of nine was certainly an interesting "woman"...

And I KNOW at least a few here remember WHO Jolene Blalock was?

I don't believe anyone here would refuse to be a patient of either one of them ... would they?
Technically, Seven did start out as a human and they did return her more or less to a human state, but I certainly wouldn't kick her out out of the probe implantation room for that. T'Pol (Jolene Blalock) could certainly do me. So could Saavik. There are some pretty hot Romulans too. Tasha Yar's daughter Sela was pretty steamy for one. Now that I'm thinking about it, Kes who served aboard Voyager was one hot little Ocampa. Plus she even had some medical experience too. Yep. I'd be alright with Kes wielding that probe.

Soriya
12-07-2012, 11:25 PM
End of the world, galactic alignment, Mayan's, aliens, OH ALIENS......

Im going to be a good gurl here.

I have no comment on the matter <smirk> :D

ambigendrous
12-08-2012, 01:15 AM
I think it would be hilarious if all the power companies across the country were to get together and decide to shut down all power generation for 10 minutes at exactly 5:00 pm EST on 12/21/2012 - can you imagine the insanity that would ensue?

insearchofme
12-08-2012, 11:23 AM
One of the kids i strength train asked me what I though about the Mayan predictions. I told him that I'm not gonna worry about them because the Mayans weren't advanced enough to have indoor plumbing and they didn't foresee the coming of the Europeans. He said that was the best explanation he'd heard.

Diane Smith
12-09-2012, 02:27 AM
The world will not end on 12/21/2012. I have a nail appointment the next day, and no force in heaven or earth is sufficient to make me miss one of those.

- Diane

Beverley Sims
12-09-2012, 09:55 AM
I think it would be hilarious if all the power companies across the country were to get together and decide to shut down all power generation for 10 minutes at exactly 5:00 pm EST on 12/21/2012 - can you imagine the insanity that would ensue?

How do you know that you don't have the Mayan Trojan on your computer already. :)
Maybe updates at 5:00 instead of 3:00 am, EST of course......

Sarah Doepner
12-09-2012, 03:51 PM
So we're going to be either hit by an asteroid or blasted by a coherant energy pulse from the galactic core on the 21st, is that right? It will be the end of civilization at least or the end of all life at the worst when that happens. Aliens come in and sweep up the remains and make slaves or dinner of those who may have been hiding in the abandoned fall out shelter. Again? Oh why do we always have to face the endtimes when I have almost paid off my credit cards? Now I'm going to go out and buy new shoes for the apocolypse. Probably red pumps.

They tried to get us with Y2K and the Harmonic Convergence but it failed. Those folks who look in religious texts for the third letter of the fifth word on every seventh page and use it to find the end times have missed the message as well. I'm beginning to think we are just too onery to get wiped out by something random like that. It's going to take a concerted effort on the part of multiple countries and multi-national corporations to be successful in the total annilation of the human species. Maybe with a little help from the cockroaches.

Angela Campbell
12-09-2012, 05:34 PM
If the world does end I am hoping wherever I go they will let me be a girl.

May(be)
12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
This month's headline:
Will we avoid the precipice, or dive of
.................................................. ...f

.................................................. .......t
.................................................. ........h
.................................................. ........e

.................................................. ........d
.................................................. ........g

.................................................. ........o
.................................................. ........f

.................................................. ........i
.................................................. ........t
.................................................. ........?

It's all a bunch of bologna, but I have often imagined an apocalyptic scenario where I wander the scorched Earth as a bad ass crossdresser. I got my commando boots handy!

BLUE ORCHID
12-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi WAH, Just in case that it does happen I'm going to be wearing one of my prettiest dresses, my best wig and my 5" stilettos.
I want to look my best.

Stephanie Miller
12-09-2012, 07:23 PM
O.K. So earlier posts have established the Mayans weren’t actually all that smart – because they didn’t get the memo about the Spanish. We can deduce that an alien invasion could reasonably be taken off the table since they either haven’t perfected the landing thing (Roswell, N.M.), or are too interested in tapping into the brains of people in the south to bother anyone else. (I haven’t heard anyone with a New York accent saying they were teleported into the mothership overnight. Somehow it’s always seems to be in the south) .
Then we have the asteroids. The truth is that yes, an asteroid will come very close to earth on December 21, 2012. This asteroid is called Toutatis, and it will pass what is, in astrological terms, quite close to the earth. It will be, at its closest, about 4,140,000 miles from the earth.
A new NASA survey has pinned down the number of asteroids that could pose a collision threat to Earth in what scientists say is the best estimate yet of the potentially dangerous space rocks. The survey found there are likely 4,700 potentially hazardous asteroids, plus or minus 1,500 space rocks, that are larger than 330 feet (100 meters) wide and in orbits that occasionally bring them close enough to Earth to pose a concern, researchers said. To date, only about 30 percent of those objects have actually been found, they added.
Drat the luck :( And here I was looking forward to the Zombie invasion :wn: and earth freezing over from climate change. :tantrum:

LadyPilot
12-09-2012, 07:36 PM
What a fun and interesting thread. Me, I will take my chances that I will wake up on the 22nd, but just in case I will make sure that I am wearing a pretty nightgown so I can feel pretty for eternity. I am all for promoting the fact the heaven may have no vacancies if the world was to end; therefore, you better go now.

I thought for my part I would fly around and drop leaflets stating “heaven can’t wait till December 21st “.

Soriya
12-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Ahh hell with it, I'll bite since I'm very spiritual and have a view on it.

Yes I believe the world as we know it will end but not by some cataclysmic event wiping out most or all life. I also believe it won't be one single event of the 21st but maybe, just maybe a few big ones on or around that day.

The fact is from my opinion of course as it's been happening for years with things like the real estate bubble bursting and AIG almost going under. How many of you know how much of a world impact that would have been if AIG went under? Saving them only put a band-aid on an economic wound that needs stitches. It only delayed the inevitable which seems to be coming to a head here in the US with this Fiscal Cliff stuff.

Crazy stuff could happen in the next couple of weeks.

Iran getting closer or already had Nukes
North Korea trying to test fire more missiles and pursuing nukes.
Syria loaded chemical agents into their weapons
Egypt rioting again
Israel in the middle of all of it.
Falling off the Fiscal Cliff and we all find out how bad it's really going to be, maybe protests start here in Washington, even riots.
Another major natural disaster tossed in somewhere, there was another big earthquake a few days ago off of Japan again.

All these events that have been happening now and others that have been building for years all all opportunities for Humanity to change thus effectively ending the way of like as we have known it.

Now, could this galactic alignment cause something big? Who the hell knows but we have front row seats :D

May(be)
12-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Ahh hell with it, I'll bite since I'm very spiritual and have a view on it.

Yes I believe the world as we know it will end but not by some cataclysmic event wiping out most or all life. I also believe it won't be one single event of the 21st but maybe, just maybe a few big ones on or around that day.

The fact is from my opinion of course as it's been happening for years with things like the real estate bubble bursting and AIG almost going under. How many of you know how much of a world impact that would have been if AIG went under? Saving them only put a band-aid on an economic wound that needs stitches. It only delayed the inevitable which seems to be coming to a head here in the US with this Fiscal Cliff stuff.

Crazy stuff could happen in the next couple of weeks.

Iran getting closer or already had Nukes
North Korea trying to test fire more missiles and pursuing nukes.
Syria loaded chemical agents into their weapons
Egypt rioting again
Israel in the middle of all of it.
Falling off the Fiscal Cliff and we all find out how bad it's really going to be, maybe protests start here in Washington, even riots.
Another major natural disaster tossed in somewhere, there was another big earthquake a few days ago off of Japan again.

All these events that have been happening now and others that have been building for years all all opportunities for Humanity to change thus effectively ending the way of like as we have known it.

Now, could this galactic alignment cause something big? Who the hell knows but we have front row seats :D

All of that is true, but also probably coincidental. Not to belittle the myriad crises we face-I often feel that we face insurmountably complex problems- but we have been in dire straights before as a species and as a planet. I only worry that people will take this as an opportunity to turn this "prophecy" (of which there is no explicit prophecy for TEOTWAWKI that I'm aware of) into a self-fulfilling doomsday.

-take an umbrella.

In a strange way, it's comforting to think that there will be an Armageddon and we're all going to die together. No loose ends, no one mourning, no way for us to ruin our good names posthumously.

For the record: Zombies, divine interventions, mass-awakenings, aliens- They're really all the same meme, in that the problems seem too big for us to overcome on our own so we look for a miracle from a 1000 different directions. Maybe once we realize that no one is coming, we will begin to fix our own problems. That being said, I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I know all the mysteries of the universe. Of the list I just laid out, the most likely in my mind is aliens.

There's also "The Great Shift" I am ashamed to admit that I've read about on other sites. Though, I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously, and it was never my favorite plot line. How neat would that be, though, eh?

Eryn
12-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Where did you get that idea? With the past 5 years, 2 dinosaur killers have buzzed within the moon's distance from earth and both were spotted AFTER they passed.

The area of the region inside of the moon's orbit is 4.7E11 square kilometers. The cross-sectional area of the Earth is 1.3E8 square kilometers. That means that approximately one in 3600 objects that fall within one moon radius of the earth will actually hit the earth.

That means that we should expect to be hit by one of those "dinosaur killers" every 9000 years, assuming that your figures are right. It isn't exactly raining giant rocks!

An interesting book about such an event is "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Thought provoking stuff for those who think that a post-apocalyptic society will mean everyone just heads into the countryside and starts a subsistence farm!

The world will not end on 12/21/2012. I have a nail appointment the next day, and no force in heaven or earth is sufficient to make me miss one of those.

I like your way of thinking! :)

docrobbysherry
12-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Seriously? The human race won't go out with a bang. More like a slow gasp.

We seem determined to keep reproducing at an astounding rate. Consuming everything on earth. Like locusts. Until we, and every other highly evolved species, r gone. As we pollute the atmosphere, land, and seas at an accelerating rate. The Mayans weren't rite, but Malthus probably was!

The planet will survive, tho. Mark my words, the age of beetles, ants, and bugs is coming!

If you're religious, u mite consider becoming Hindu or something similar. Then, maybe in your next life you'll come back as a LADYBUG! Ha ha!

Sophia Frances
12-09-2012, 11:44 PM
The Mayans did not account for Leap Year, which has happened 107 times since its advent in 1582. By this logic the "Mayan's" 12/21/2012 would have occurred on September 5th of this year. We are all going to be ok.

Eryn
12-10-2012, 02:13 AM
The Mayans did not account for Leap Year, which has happened 107 times since its advent in 1582. By this logic the "Mayan's" 12/21/2012 would have occurred on September 5th of this year. We are all going to be ok.

The Mayan Long Count doesn't correspond to the solar year, so there is no need for leap year.

Oh, and I believe that there have only been 104 leap years since 1582. Years divisible by 100 but not divisable by 400 are not leap years so 1700, 1800, and 1900 weren't leap years.

Sophia Frances
12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
you are correct!

Wildaboutheels
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Well, WHEN the "next large thing" hits the earth, [and it will eventually], we are not all going to die immediately anyway. Might that get some folks outa their closets? - IF something hits and Scientists all agree that within 6 months to a year, all Humans will die?

Or would some people claim that the scientists are just trying to scare us?

NicoleScott
12-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Yup. That's just what Enron would have done, and then made a killing off the panic.