PDA

View Full Version : Systematic crossdressing on a budget

karusiskaru
12-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi girls
Uptil this point , I was not earning anything and was surrounded by a lot of people at home. This severely hampered my crossdressing.
However I am going to start working soon and as it so happens I would have to travel a lot and live alone for the most part.
I would love to take this opportunity to seriously start cding, as until I am single I can definitely explore more.
Although I would be earning , I don't want to spend a lot on Cding as I would be having a modest wage.
Can anybody give a step by step guide to start buying/collecting things like dresses/wigs as I don't own anything right now and plan it financially? How much would it cost?

JamieQ
12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I am not sure what cost would be for you overall, but I have bought some stuff, even brand new, at Goodwill stores. You just have to take your time looking the clothes over and always a good washing before wearing. I would suggest a good fitting skirt and then some tops to get started with. Panties and intimates ...definitely buy brand new! I have quite a collection of stuff and I have not really spent that much. As for a wig, probably best to go to a wig botique and get a good one trimmed/styled for you. Alot of us did start out with cheap ones though.:) Amanda

Duana
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
I agree. Become a regular at the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. I've filled my closet with name brands from there. And I have a wig store where you can get nice wigs for under $50. And breast forms on ebay are around $75 or less. You can do it if you look hard enough. If you insist on brand new name brands and Jimmy Chu shoes, well, that's another story.

StephanieDragg
12-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Resale shops are the way to go!!!

moniqueCD21
12-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Yep! Goodwill, Savers, and Salvation Army are great sources of clothes for the CD on a budget! And you may get lucky and find a cheap/awesome wig like the one in my pic, picked up for $15! Just look around and don't be afraid go exploring other stores! Happy Shopping! :)

-Monique

docrobbysherry
12-07-2012, 01:27 AM
I've gotten some long, lovely, natural wigs from China, K. All for under $26 including shipping! Here's one of them.

Beverley Sims
12-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Welcome to the forum, I notice you have your eyes wide open and are full of optimism.
Don't lose either of these qualities, don't purge or get guilty about what you do.
Be careful in how you conduct yourself and follow all the good advice you will read here. :)

lingerieLiz
12-07-2012, 02:10 AM
Begin by shopping not buying. Part of CDing is the fun of shopping for clothes. Read magazines on buying makeup cheap. The biggest mistake I made was buying name brand makeup in a department store. By the time I finished I had blown my budget and didn't have enough to buy a nice dress. It cost me a night out in SF as Liz with a couple I met.

I enjoy the shopping as much as wearing. I often get great buys at department stores on sale. Don't buy a lot, but buy quality. Eventually you will amass a large wardrobe if you shop for clasic styles and take care of them.

Nocturnal Kaylee
12-07-2012, 03:21 AM
as everybody else has stated goodwill and savers or any second hand will have a decent selection at low prices. I don't support the Salvation Army as they have had some very anti-trans stances. Also check clearance racks everywhere.

DeeArel
12-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Set a budget for shopping and do not exceed it. Since you are starting from scratch, set standards for the quality that you want and do not go below it. You will be tempted to buy alot. Much of it will be impulse and not worth you money. Shoes, do not buy anything with a dinged heel. Hold out for items you will not regret and need to replace. This may slow you down but will be worth it.

Thrift and consignment stores are good. Set the maximum dollar amount you are willing to spend on any one item. If it is above your limit, let it sit. Circle back periodically and check the price again. Eventually it will go on sale. Browse the sale racks at department stores and boutiques. Prices drop the longer an itme does not sale. I recently purchased a $400 dress for 15 in mint condition at Dillard's.

Be patient and make your dollars count.

Set aside a little each week for a good wig and good breast forms. Wait while the nest egg grows until you can buy the right ones.

Vickie_CDTV
12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
This question is sort of like asking what kind of car one should get, in that it depends on a number of factors. What size do you wear? (especially when it comes to shoes, the larger you are the more you will have to pay and the more difficult they will be to find) Do you feel comfortable shopping in person? Do you plan on going out dressed in public right away? What style of clothing do you want to wear?

linda allen
12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
It's not at all hard to come up with a cost for crossdressing. Get prices from local stores or the Internet. Second hand stores are fine for some things, but the clearance racks at the major chain stores have some excellent bargains. Part of the cost is in how many items you want/need. You will of course need:

Wig
Bra
Breast forms
Panties
Hip/Butt pads
Shoes
Blouse
Skirt
Makeup
Panty hose

Some of the above you can do without, it depends on how far you want to go.

Ressie
12-07-2012, 09:37 AM
There's no system. I just get an idea in my head of what I want the most and start looking for it.

Get make up at a dollar store. Make your own breast forms. What is happening to me is I want more of what the other girls have, but some of that will have to wait.

Make sure you know your size before buying at thrift stores because they don't take returns.

Angela Campbell
12-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Realistically you can try to do it on the cheap and get a few things and add to it over time, but the truth is if you are like me eventually the cost is an arm and a leg. I get a new top and it is wonderful, until I wear it and find I need a different bra for it so I have to get a bra. Then I decide a new necklace would go great with it.....oh dear, I also need matching shoes.....and wouldn't this ankle bracelet look great with these shoes! Oh no! I can see the new bra and my corset through the new top, so I will have to have a slip or cami now.....oh yes a new eyeshadow would look nice too.....

kimdl93
12-07-2012, 02:33 PM
It's not at all hard to come up with a cost for crossdressing. Get prices from local stores or the Internet. Second hand stores are fine for some things, but the clearance racks at the major chain stores have some excellent bargains. Part of the cost is in how many items you want/need. You will of course need:

Wig - fairly good quality for $100 on line (Norika for example)
Bra - measure first - then you can shop on line. (see OneHanesPlace for exampe) Figure at least $20
Breast forms - wide range in price and quality. Get the best you can afford and resist the temptation to buy DD's, unless you are a very big girl. ($50 minimum)
Panties - buy new (OneHanesPlace again) $20/3 pair
Hip/Butt pads - Buy on line at GlamourBoutiqe. <$100
Shoes - Zappos (less than $100 for most)
Blouses - Any thrift or Goodwill. figure $5 or so each.
Skirt - same as above
Makeup - all over the board in price. Figure on $200 for basics at a department store. Or buy on line and figure at least $100
Panty hose - cheap anywhere. three pair for $20 at OneHanesPlace, for example

Some of the above you can do without, it depends on how far you want to go.

Much depends on what you want. But, if you scrape together $500 you can get yourself a pretty good start on a wardrobe

Annaliese
12-07-2012, 02:53 PM
End of season sales I got top brand sweaters for $2 at Sears last spring

karusiskaru
12-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the forum, I notice you have your eyes wide open and are full of optimism.
Don't lose either of these qualities, don't purge or get guilty about what you do.
Be careful in how you conduct yourself and follow all the good advice you will read here. :)

Thanks Beverley Sims!! In my heart I am still strongly feminine..but have done so little to express it physically that it hurts now. Hence I want to grab this opportunity
. I swing between being too careful and not doing anything to bouts of rash conducts (actually not so rash but risky nonetheless), perhaps being patient and graceful is the most important takeaway for me..

This question is sort of like asking what kind of car one should get, in that it depends on a number of factors. What size do you wear? (especially when it comes to shoes, the larger you are the more you will have to pay and the more difficult they will be to find) What style of clothing do you want to wear?

I have never owned anything of my own. To tell a bit about me, I should let you girls know I need to work a lot on myself. I am 6ft ,plump with fair bit of body hair and not a natural cute looking structure. Of course I understand I won't be looking like a Hollywood actress, but some improvement will help me.

Do you feel comfortable shopping in person? Do you plan on going out dressed in public right away?
I am planning to get most of stuff online for starters and I still have couple of months before I start living alone. Dressing in public is a long long way down the road, I'm not in a hurry to do that.

What style of clothing do you want to wear?
I am fascinated by teen wear, nightdress, nothing formal, skirts and tops. And of course lots of pink! :)

AlyssaE12
12-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi there, so much good advice on here so far...goodwill aside i have a ton of luck online and at some of the big box stores like target...nice stuff and good cheap basics(leggings for 5 bucks!!!) I too like to dress my age and maybe a bit younger but no worries, right, lol! in any case i have had a ton of luck at stores like that because they almost always have something i want in my size and their selection is surprisingly good...also old navy has awesome dresses on sale right now! with the holidays around it is always a good time to shop if you arent feeling brave because you can always be buying gifts...also i got a wig online which is a solid quality starter wig for like 20 bucks and have been shopping around for newer nicer one and have seen good ones for as low as that so do shop around! good luck girl, youre doing great!

JamieQ
12-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Oh, I just want to add something. Be sure you try the clothes on before buying! The sizes are all over the place and if a size fits you in one brand, the same size may not fit at all in another.:) Amanda

Catrina
12-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I can't add to all this god advise, but I would say don't get too much. When you get back home and are surrounded by lots of people again, do you have somewhere to stash your booty?I quoted Dee so you would read her reply again :)
Set a budget for shopping and do not exceed it. Since you are starting from scratch, set standards for the quality that you want and do not go below it. You will be tempted to buy alot. Much of it will be impulse and not worth you money. Shoes, not buy anything with a dinged heel. Hold out for items you will not regret and need to replace. This may slow you down but will be worth it.

Thrift and consignment stores are good. Set the maximum dollar amount you are willing to spend on any one item. If it is above your limit, let it sit. Circle back periodically and check the price again. Eventually it will go on sale. Browse the sale racks at department stores and boutiques. Prices drop the longer an itme does not sale. I recently purchased a $400 dress for 15 in mint condition at Dillard's.

Be patient and make your dollars count.

Set aside a little each week for a good wig and good breast forms. Wait while the nest egg grows until you can buy the right ones.
By the way Dee, could you call my wife and give her your advice :) :)