PDA

View Full Version : Do you become OCD when you CD

NikiMichelle
12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
In my male persona I do not consider myself as anywhere near OCD (Obessive Compulsive). However, in my enfemme persona I become quite OCD. When I want to CD it takes over my thought process. When I want to get some new clothes I have to get some.

For example I ordered some new high heels online which when they arrived yesterday I ripped into the box to try them on...ohhh nooooo, they were too small. I became obsessed with getting them returned ASAP. So I took them to the nearest retail store to try to exchange them but they didn't have my correct size. I therefore had to accept a refund and they reordered the proper size off their website for me. This is now going to take another week for them to be delivered...and now I am very unhappy because I really, really want them RIGHT now!

I am feeling quite OCD right now which is not how I am in my male life???

Does anyone else become like this?

docrobbysherry
12-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Exactly, Niki! I'm old and have had no experience with compulsions I can't control. Until I got serious about dressing, that is. Sometimes it's completely overwhelming! Like rite now!

ReineD
12-07-2012, 02:51 AM
In my male persona I do not consider myself as anywhere near OCD (Obessive Compulsive). However, in my enfemme persona I become quite OCD. When I want to CD it takes over my thought process. When I want to get some new clothes I have to get some.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you have OCD. Here's a description of obcessive-compulsive behaviors from PubMed Health:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001926/.

O-Cs do the same small tasks repeatedly, such as washing their hands over and over again, counting everything in sight, or getting up from their chair every few minutes to make sure the door is locked. Unless you drove to the mall and back 5 times during the same day to check whether your shoes had arrived, it doesn't sound as if you are OCD.

It does sound more like a shopping addiction, combined with a compulsion for looking a certain way while you're dressed and not resting until this is accomplished? Or maybe the compulsion is more about attaining a certain image of beauty and the shopping compulsion is secondary to this?

There are different types of Compulsive Shoppers, and it affects about 6% of the population, both men and women. But, I wonder if there is a higher incidence among CDers. It seems as if a lot of members here have quite large closets. Anyway, here's a website that describes the different types of compulsive shopping, several tests you can take to see if you fit the profile, and ways to get help if you wish to change:

http://www.shopaholicsanonymous.org

GabbiSophia
12-07-2012, 04:22 AM

For example I ordered some new high heels online which when they arrived yesterday I ripped into the box to try them on...ohhh nooooo, they were too small. I became obsessed with getting them returned ASAP. So I took them to the nearest retail store to try to exchange them but they didn't have my correct size. I therefore had to accept a refund and they reordered the proper size off their website for me. This is now going to take another week for them to be delivered...and now I am very unhappy because I really, really want them RIGHT now!

LMAO.. I had never thought I was till someone on here mentioned it!! I am soooo OCD when CD. I am not sure what it is that causes it but it has taken over big time!! I am trying to get it under control but it is hard as hell, especially when I know I want something I have to have. Is being OCD a bad thing though??

Cheryl T
12-07-2012, 05:38 AM
For me the OCD preceded the CD....thanks Dad!

Jana
12-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Sounds more like some sort of anxiety attack than OCD.

kimdl93
12-07-2012, 07:16 AM
I think it's a serious concern. Particularly if your compulsions, whatever they may be, begin to squeeze out other aspects of your life.

Kate Simmons
12-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Honestly no. When I am in the process of transforming especially, I have everything arranged in logical order rather than being scatter brained which isn't really hard to be in this "business".:)

sometimes_miss
12-07-2012, 10:41 AM
It's not OCD. More likely simply you suppress the desire to crossdress, then when you do, you just go a bit, well, overboard. Kind of like a starving man who's walked into a thanksgiving dinner, and stuffs himself; or as in your case, found all the food to be plastic (shoes that don't fit), and had to call the local caterer to deliver the real thing (shoes that fit, get it?).

NikiMichelle
12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
I know what I described is not clinically OCD!!! I would describe it more as I enter into a bank of Pink Fog....

DebbieL
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't think OCD is the correct term, but there is a common pattern.

If you are transgendered, then male presentation is something that your are forced to do, or that you just take for granted. You either don't have to work to "pass" as a man or you don't care whether you pass or not. You wear what you have to wear because that's what the other men in your community are wearing. The "Uniform of the Group" is chosen by the group, with tolerance for limited variations on the core theme. To wear a different uniform, you join a different group. The accountant wears the white shirt, tie, coat, and dark pleated pants and oxford leather shoes. The biker ears black T-shirts, leather jacket, leather jeans, and leather boots with steel toes.

When we dress as women, or girls, we are much more aware of our decisions, our choices, and are more inclined to take more time and care in every aspect of managing that presentation. We learn to use make-up and take the time to make sure that there is no tell-tale hint of shadow, blend powder or darker shade to create shadow to minimize neck, jaw, and forehead. We take more time when shaving our faces, and remove the hair on our legs, arms, and wherever else, with far more care and purpose. We do it because we CHOOSE to do so. We also want to minimize the number of times we get clocked or read when we are in public, which means we need to be more deliberate and careful in how we dress, how we do make-up, how we move, and how we speak.

I find for myself, that this way of thinking extends to other areas of my life as well. I often find that after I'm dressed up, I want to clean up clutter, even throw out trash, I'm more detail oriented in other areas of my life, and even find that I am more detail oriented at work. The more often I dress, the more the benefits show up when I am not dressed.

I also find that the more often I dress, the more aware I am of my body and my physical condition. My posture improves, my weight goes down, I eat more sensibly and I am more active, especially if I can get out and go dancing. At one time, I loved to go out and go dancing and would dance for 2-3 hours at a time, stopping for only a few seconds to take a few sips of soda. At one point, I lost over 100 lbs in less than 12 months, because I was dressing all most everywhere but work - working toward transition and getting Life Experience.

NikiMichelle
12-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Well said...thank you!

Angela Campbell
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't think I am OCD but I tend to be redundant, repeat myself, say things over and over....

Foxglove
12-07-2012, 03:00 PM
This is now going to take another week for them to be delivered...and now I am very unhappy because I really, really want them RIGHT now!

If you've got a problem, so have I. I get this way about books and CD's I've ordered. I can get really impatient for them to arrive. And we're not talking about important things, like girly stuff.

Maybe we need a support group--"Impatience Anonymous".

Best wishes, Annabelle

DianeDeBris
12-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I used to think I had OCD; but eventually I figured out I really have CDO. It's mostly the same compulsions, but with the letters lined up in the right order.

ReineD
12-08-2012, 02:13 AM
If you've got a problem, so have I. I get this way about books and CD's I've ordered. I can get really impatient for them to arrive. And we're not talking about important things, like girly stuff.

Maybe we need a support group--"Impatience Anonymous".

I suppose everyone has some compulsions or habits they'd like to change about themselves. I know that I do. It is only when the behaviors get out of hand and begin to cause problems that they need to be addressed. Obviously, someone living alone will be able to indulge a great deal more, and for some people this may well be a good reason to stay single! :p

But, if someone is in a relationship (or even if single) and feels guilty about obsessing so much about the clothes, shoes, or anything else even if it is not gender related (deep down they feel they are going overboard with whatever), then they need to recognize that shopping (or any other) compulsions are quite separate from the need to express femininity, and these compulsions can be addressed. I took it when NikkiMichelle posted, that she was experiencing some level of conflict. If she is, then she needs to do more than just develop patience.

LaraPeterson
12-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Girl, you're not OCD, you're just excited. How do I know? I was born OCD with a neurosis toward perfectionism. Been fightin' that battle my whole life. But I'll tell you this, attention to detail is a good thing when you are getting yourself ready to go out. No one wants to see a sloppy makeup job or hairdo. It's only a problem, as some of the others have said, when it starts controlling or interrupting your otherwise normal life.

As for your new shoes, I hope they come in a day early and fit like a glove!

giuseppina
12-08-2012, 06:13 PM
... For example I ordered some new high heels online which when they arrived yesterday I ripped into the box to try them on...ohhh nooooo, they were too small. I became obsessed with getting them returned ASAP. So I took them to the nearest retail store to try to exchange them but they didn't have my correct size. I therefore had to accept a refund and they reordered the proper size off their website for me. This is now going to take another week for them to be delivered...and now I am very unhappy because I really, really want them RIGHT now! ...

I also make no claims to being an expert, but this doesn't look like OCD to me, either.

You may have an issue relating to the crossdressing taking over, but that isn't for me to decide. ;)

Kaz
12-08-2012, 06:33 PM
I know what you mean... it does feel like OCD at times... but it is just 'living the moment'... it is a strong pull isn't it? It can take over your brain in an instant - you need to be 'her'! And she wants it NOW! I have more clothes than I wear - actually I am wearing fewer, but more often - but I still don't have enough! xx

I want to know what everything feels like and looks like on Kaz... and I am getting older and have less time!

RainyNightGirl
12-08-2012, 08:56 PM
CALM down Nikki..it's a passing thing. I know..I KNOW! It's frustrating sometimes......Lookit. I ordered my Sweet Lolita boots and shoes from CHINA! FREE shipping (14 days)...but I was apprehensive...the website DIDN'T say China...OK? But I got this email from China with a message..."We making boot and shoe with your size...PLEASE to be patient":

OH LORDY...$160 bucks down the tube!"

Right? THAT'S the way I thought...sleepless for three nights in a row...THEN I DECIDED to be patient...(OPERATIVE WORD HERE IS PATIENT).......and then on the 4th day I get an email with a tracking number and OMG...THE RELIEF! :)

"OK...ok...I'm good!" And I ceased worrying...I just got busy and forgot about the order really....in other words...(GET YOURSELF BUSY) do stuff...day to day and the time just goes Whoooooosh! and then your shoes are here!

I got my boots and shoes...CUSTOM MADE..... ZERO SHIPPING! and I am SO DELIGHTED at the fit and finish! CHINA?!?

THEY FIT LIKE A GLOVE WITH MY SEAMED FF AND RHT NYLONS....DITTO WITH MY LATEX STOCKINGS!

AMAZING! :)

BUT...more amazing to me...the CHINA TRACKING went hand-in-glove with USPS tracking...!

I'm a stickler for saving a penny here...a penny there....on my CD apparel...(At the wonderment and approval of my SO)

Anyhow...I just bided my time...content in knowing that my shipment would arrive safely and guess what?

Lo and behold! YO! here they were on my doorstep (And I had almost forgotten about them)..and the unwrapping, the Chinese writing...the care of shipping? I've already ordered 5 more pair....BECAUSE I LOVE THE FIT AND FINISH OF MY PERFECT SWEET LOLITA shoes!

So remember.

Take a DEEEEEEP breath......do something to bide your time...and before you know it?

IT'S TIME TO DRESS!!!!! :)

OH...'fer cryin' out loud....I JUST MADE ANOTHER RHYME!.......

WHAT is it with me? Sincerely?

OMG...another rhyme? :)

Be patient Nikk...YOUR shoes WILL come! OK?

Smile...be happy!!! :)

Where did you order those boots from? Wow, sounds fantastic.....

Thanks
Natasha

Eryn
12-09-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm not clinically OCD, but I do know that I really have to rely on checklists and careful planning to avoid stupid mistakes.

GGs learn at an early age how to do their nails, makeup, and dress. They don't even give it a thought, they just do it. GGs have the luxury of being able to do some things in advance of an outing and then be seen in public without consequence. I have to go from zero to femme in a short time and forgetting or reversing steps can be very harmful.