PDA

View Full Version : What other strange HOBBIES might you have?

Wildaboutheels
12-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I know many don't like that word [understandably...if you were born in the wrong body and have known it since age 3 or 4] and others have no trouble with it. But it IS actually quite accurate for most. Go look up the DEF for it.

IF someone can go weeks, months or years without doing it, Or START at 40, 50 or 60 just WHAT would be wrong with telling some nosey person, "it's one of my hobbies"?

So, anyone here collect Star Wars stuff, old transistor radios, matchbox cars, etc.? Or know anyone else with a "unique" hobby?

I receive and read a ton of magazines. Does that count?

suzy1
12-10-2012, 10:49 AM
I build models. I am building a 1/32 scale aircraft at the moment but I used to build period ship models.
The last one took me over two years.:eek:

I also pick my nose, does that count.:heehee:

PaulaAnn
12-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I collect British campaign medals(Egypt /Soudan1882-89).
Paula

Karren H
12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I have collect vintage nail pullers from the 1860s thru the early 1900s..... this is my pride and joy.... the Samson Bulldog..... I even have a book on nail pullers!

whowhatwhen
12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I was a hobbyist programmer, but I've lost interest over the past year or so.
One day I'll have to pick it up again when my motivation is higher.

Maybe not as strange as it is incredibly nerdy.

I Am Paula
12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Karren- That looks like it would hurt. Have you tried cuticle scissors, or nail clippers?-Celeste

I collect guitars (mostly Fender), and purses. Both of these hobbies, tho' not strange, can be financially crippleing.-Celeste

Karren H
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Karren- That looks like it would hurt. Have you tried cuticle scissors, or nail clippers?-Celeste

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! lol. They would have loved these machines..... Back when nails were hand made and expensive... people pulled them out and saved them for reuse.... once they started mass producing nails.... nail puller became obsolete ....

Sharon B.
12-10-2012, 11:39 AM
I enjoy horseback riding and camping.

BillieJoEllen
12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I build modals. I am building a 1/32 scale aircraft at the moment but I used to build period ship modals.
The last one took me over two years.:eek:

I also pick my nose, does that count.:heehee:

No Suzy, picking your nose doesn't count unless you 'collect' the pickin's

HannahF6
12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I make mathematical models. I have complete sets of the Platonic and Aristotelean polyhedra and am workin on a complete set of the stellations of the icosahedron. If anyone wants to know more about this odd hobby, look up a colleague of mine, Magnus Wenninger, on Wikipedia.

Hannah

Danika140
12-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I collect military gear, mostly because I am too lazy to get rid of it lol. 70% of the boxes of junk I own, consists of military uniforms, cold weather gear, empty magazines and other crap I've never used that kept getting issued to me.

I also train and run 100+ mile ultra marathons on a fairly regular basis. By "regular" I do mean as often as my body and the military allows me to run them. Would that qualify as a hobby or insanity? Maybe the collection of water bottles I own would be closer to a hobby lol?!

I use to collect vintage gaming consoles like the Atari and Colecovision.

TGMarla
12-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Very cool nail-puller, Karren.

I collect signed baseballs. And I have a small, but rather impressive collection going. Some of the best ones include Willie Mays, Steve Carlton, Bob Gibson, and Stan Musial

Stephanie47
12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Military models, especially armored vehicles and soft skins. I have a bunch of WWII airplanes that need to be built, B-17's B.C/D, E. F. G and SB. I spend too much time of this site sometimes. I should be modeling. Kids are arguing about who gets to unload dad's stuff.

Oh, they do not know of my collection of slips, over 400 now!

Annaliese
12-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Horse back riding, Shooting, Working on car now I am no a mechanic any more help a friend overhaul his a 302 out of 68 mustang.

UNDERDRESSER
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
I collect bicycles. Well, I don't collect them for collecting, but, there is always a specific need that only this bicycle will fill. Next one on the list is a fat bike for deep snow days. :bs:

Fortunately, my GF is as big a bike nut as I am, the only problem is that when we move in together, we'll need a seperate room or garage for them all!

Robinkay
12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Hay Karren that really cool !

Grooming my retrievers tho its more like a second job LOL

Working on any old German car.

Ann Louise
12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm an aspiring 3-D computer modeler who builds triangular mesh models of women's fashions (what else?) for use in virtual marketplaces like Second Life! I use Pinterest (as "Elfin Skytower") to collect fashion ideas. It's turning in to way more than a hobby I guess. Elfin

sometimes_miss
12-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Horse back riding, Shooting, Working on car now I am no a mechanic any more help a friend overhaul his a 302 out of 68 mustang.

That 302 is a great little engine, tons of ways to gradually improve the thing to adapt it to the use you have for it. BTW, something called 'tri-Y' headers were the hot item for it back in the day, may be hard to find, and you may have to improvise the clutch linkage but the power is worth it if you do.

Me, model trains. And collecting badges from the private police forces the rail lines had. Collect old movie DVD's, and during the summer, I take the projector outside and have late night movie marathons in the backyard, invite neighbors to come and bring their own chairs, every weekend has a theme; ww1, ww2, James Bond, Korean war, cold war, comedy, monster, space, western, and my favorite, 'the worst movies ever made', people bring their worst, we vote, and play the crappiest ones, and get drunk.

Erica Marie
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I enjoy woodworking and remodeling. Over summer I had rebuilt my garage, replaced rotted wood, soffit, facia and vinyl siding. Now I am in the midst of remodeling my kitchen. All with no professional training. Its getting some rework,drywall repair, new cabinets and ceramic tile floor. Also into firearms, collecting and shooting. And I do all that while raising 2 kids and going to the gym at least 5 times a week.
Ok, now Im not alone here but can anyone explain to me why me and so many others have such "manly" hobbies. I know they are all hobbies that women can do also, its just society sees gender roles as so seperated.

Angela Campbell
12-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Music. I have built a home studio and write songs and produce and record them as well. Along with collecting guitars (I only have 13 right now) it is a very expensive hobby, but it is very satisfying. I also enjoy reading physics books, building guitars, and antique hunting. Cooking is also high on my list but since I am on a strict diet I do not get to do much of that lately. I don't think any of these is particularly a "manly" hobby but I never really thought about that much.

Kate Simmons
12-10-2012, 02:01 PM
I think going on crossdressing forums would have to qualify.:heehee::)

Karren H
12-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Very cool nail-puller, Karren.

Hay Karren that really cool !

Thanks! my wifes grandfather gave me one decades ago then I found another at a garage sale.... now I'm up to 15.... different ones.... most cost me $5 or $10..... the Bulldog was $100.... I find them at flea markets and estate sales mainly....

Here's the book with patents and drawings.... www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1420874527

I also collect old cameras.... per 1959.... have nearly 50.... some really unique ones....

FaithGrace
12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Let's see... antique collector/dealer, website designer (more of a hobby than a profession), and World of Warcraft. And no, I don't consider crossdressing a hobby, it is more of a lifestyle.

Foxglove
12-10-2012, 02:52 PM
I collect snowflakes--the reason being, I'm tired of hearing people say, "No two snowflakes are alike." Who the flip would know? Who's examined every last one of them?

So that's what I'm doing--collecting and comparing snowflakes. It only takes one counter-example to disprove a rule, so if I find two just alike, that shoots down that rule, and I'll let everybody know.

I'm not just examining the ones I collect myself. I have people from all over the world sending them to me. I've got some from as far away as Nairobi, Havana and Ouagadougou. So next time you shovel your front walk, just box them up and send them to me. There's a lot riding on this, you know.

Annabelle

Jean Marie
12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I train and race horses. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dly645/6307093542/in/photostream

May(be)
12-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Mushroom hunting and painting, though I have a BFA in painting, so it shouldn't really be considered a "hobby"

Tara D. Rose
12-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Mushroom hunting and painting, though I have a BFA in painting, so it shouldn't really be considered a "hobby"
I play guitar and love to sing. I can do impersonations too. I also do a lot of oil painting landscapes and animals. But mostly I love to sit and think.

Princess Chantal
12-10-2012, 03:33 PM
I collect K-tel promoted products from the 70's and 80's - Records, 8-tracks, veg-o-matics, Aunt Mary/Betty Ann tailor markers, Bonsia Blades, and Baby Duckling wine bottles.
I also collect Eaton's stamped or brand items, mostly stockings though.

Marcia Blue
12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I have several hobbies, woodworking, homebrew, rocketry, and film photography.
I am not active in all of these all the time. I tend to take breaks and go back and forth.

MelodyS.
12-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I am a comic book collector as well as merchandise such as action figures and dolls that are comic book based. Not as hardcore as I want to be due to a low paying job, but if I had the money and the space, I would have a lot.

MeganHenry
12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
For me...modern furniture from the 50's thru the 70's, photography, stamps, world currency, lithography, books, nail polish and I'm sure there are more...LOL

Cynthia_0101
12-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Lots and lots of stuff here. Comics, Video games, Iron working, Para-cord knot tying are just a few.

Ceri Anne
12-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I have more hobbies than I can afford. Sometimes I dress like a guy! Really though, I collect cameras, do leatherwork, carpentry, ride motorcycle, used to ride horses, play guitar and trumpet and I have a model railroad................Karen, I have seen one of those nail pullers, they are cool.

AnitaH
12-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Antique Radios is one of mine both tube and transistor. I have several antique tube radios in working condition including an old floor model Philco. I also am into amateur radio but I haven't been active in that for sometime now as there have been way too many hours at work. I have several other interests that could be hobbies if it weren't for time and money issues. Things such as crystal radio construction and recumbent bike building and riding.

AnitaH

Bernadina
12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
My lady is an avid antique china and related objects collector and has sparked my interest too. So I've been collecting "vaseline glass", mostly from the early 1900's.

Vaseline glass is so named because of its greenish yellow colour caused by the inclusion of minute traces uranium salts in the glass. It's readily identified by shining it with a UV light source which causes it to fluoresce. The amount of uranium is so low that there is little to no measurable radiation emitted by the green glass using a Radalert 50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

GondorRachel
12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I used to (still have the collection, but have not added in years) collect Star Wars action figures, now I mostly collect dresses and shoes :D. My current hobbies are making chainmail items (working on a chainmail bra for myself) and I dabble in miniature model painting (Lord of the Rings by Games Workshop).

Barbara Dugan
Some people found strange that I like to gowth bamboo

Aloha Jayne
jazz keyboardist, magician, racer, pilot, photographer.....that's all I can think of right now

Tracii G
12-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I collect Military memorabilia such as rings combat patches, unique stuff like handmade cigarette lighters made out of bullets or whatever they had laying around.
I had some cool lanterns made out of 40 mm grenade shell casings.Some are WW I and II most are Vietnam era.
Antique wood working tools are cool as well.Sold my stash of them recently.
I collect vintage guitars and amps.Build guitars too.
If its old and a stringed instrument like a banjo,uke,slide guitar/resonator I will have to work out a deal to get it.
Would love to find some 16th century instruments to tinker with and learn to play.

Wonderwho
12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Started out making stained glass lampshades and windows, it was a great hobby. Then like any fool I started to sell my work,
when it became a business it was no longer fun.
Stopped for many years, still make a window now and then.
Made the one in my picture about 1972.
Went to northern Calif. in 75 and 76 for some shows and met many of the founding movers in the field, lot of fun.
Wonderwho

Tracii G
12-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Stained glass is so cool but gosh it must be time consuming.

flatlander_48
12-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Common Hobbies:

photography
camera collecting: a couple of Speed Graphics, an Argus C3, 1970's vintage enlarger
serious motorsports fan: number of race tracks that I've been to is now upwards of 25; includes short tracks, superspeedways, dirt, asphalt, road courses (permanent and temporary)
diecast collection: small so far, but newest addition is a 1/18 scale laydown Indy roadster that won at IMS in '57 with Sam Hanks and in '58 with Jimmy Bryan; built by George Salih
early Macintoshes: Classic II and a IIcx
One Really Strange Hobby:

I like going to high places where ever I happen to be. Current list is: Empire State Building, Sears Tower (now Willis, I think), CN Tower in Toronto, Eiffel Tower, Seattle Space Needle, Coit Tower, Seoul Tower, Taipei 101, Sydney Tower (even did the roof walk!)

Beverley Sims
12-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Early cameras 1920s large format cameras movie equipment.
Apple I and II Macintosh 512 K and of course later Apple ranges.
PDP 4 and 11 mainframes.
A couple of early IBM's and later.
Radio Shack range of computers early Model 1s through to later models
All the operating systems and most computers have to work because I still convert files for people from one system to another.
Forget about retro clothing and other interests. :)

Persephone
12-11-2012, 02:07 AM
I collect credit cards!

Really! I have some from chain stores that no longer exist.

Hugs,
Persephone.

JenniferUK
12-11-2012, 04:16 AM
I like walking around in see through wellies full of swarfega ;-)

Not really, I'm a home cinema buff.

AmyGaleRT
12-11-2012, 04:23 AM
I collect cloisonne pins (which I guess makes me a "pinhead" :D). I have a denim jacket so covered in pins, it might well qualify as a bulletproof vest! Many of them are from places I've traveled, or my relatives have. But I also have a few rarities.

- Amy

Frédérique
12-11-2012, 04:51 AM
What other strange HOBBIES might you have?

I have a VERY strange hobby – I write about crossdressing on an online discussion forum... :clap:

AndreaCD1963
12-11-2012, 05:19 AM
In the summer, I ride motorcycles ... every twisty road to no where eventually leads to somewhere.
I also enjoy woodworking ... stopped for a number of years but recently got back into it. One of my first major builds was a full wet bar in the basement (photos are on my facebook account if interested) that I just finished a couple of weeks ago.
I used to be a very avid trumpet player ... studied classical, played dixieland jazz/swing/big-band mostly.

As for collections - shoes!

noeleena
12-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Hi.

Being a member of our Edwardian group 1900 to 1914, Do all my clothes design sew & make then wear them for our outings .

As well as our Renaissance group lots of lovely garb,

like doing woodwork & wood turning ,Photography And Archery in my garb all dressed up.

...noeleena...

Vintage4sarah
12-11-2012, 06:16 AM
With my wife, we love to travel (44 states and 20 foreign countries) and read. I also have good building skills and home remodeling is my summer hobby. But most of all, I am an avid living historian/reenactor/collector with my current interest being WW I and WW II. I guess I just like the vintage stuff ;)

KitCat
12-11-2012, 07:01 AM
I love to spend time messing about in my boat lots and lots of time
and a little more to race it once in a while
Every year trying to make it faster or stronger or a little better looking
The Motor scooters came as a cheap way to get there and back who knew it would be so much fun

Teri Ray
12-11-2012, 07:21 AM
I train and ride horses, hunt, fish and camp. When not doing odd chores for my wife I enjoy being a loafer.

SallyS
12-11-2012, 07:24 AM
For several years I use to collect vintage computer systems, from the 1970's to the early 90's.

I amassed quite a large collection (150+ machines), and then realized I didn't really have the time or space to do anything with them:sad:

I eventually sold them off, apart from one, a Commodore Amiga A1200....which is due some upgrades very soon.

The thing is, I am what most would consider a 'closet' nerd!.....I like history, archaeology, vintage, retro...the lot. But to most of my friends, I'm one of the lads... a man's man....but LITTLE do they know:heehee:

drushin703
12-11-2012, 07:32 AM
I most certainly must be a collector of old computers since I have three old dead ones sitting around that i'm looking at right now....dana

Jenniferathome
12-11-2012, 11:05 AM

And I hear those mushrooms can really give you some trouble if you hunt too close to mating season. What do you use, 12 gauge or sniper rifle?

becky77
12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Anything Lotr related, the books, the films and was surprised to see this:

I dabble in miniature model painting (Lord of the Rings by Games Workshop).

I dabble in that too. I spend an aweful lot of time on my PC too :)

whowhatwhen
12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Early cameras 1920s large format cameras movie equipment.
Apple I and II Macintosh 512 K and of course later Apple ranges.
PDP 4 and 11 mainframes.
A couple of early IBM's and later.
Radio Shack range of computers early Model 1s through to later models
All the operating systems and most computers have to work because I still convert files for people from one system to another.
Forget about retro clothing and other interests. :)

Neat stuff!
I'm starting to shrink my vintage computer collection at the moment for both space and my MtF fund.
:)

I'm probably going to end up keeping one Apple //c and my awesome 150MHz 486 dosbox.
:P

Karren H
12-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I also have a cpu collection from 8086 up through Pentium class ..... and our draftsman just found me a nail puller I didn't have on crags list! lol. I have my minions.....

julie08
12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
I collect and play Magic the Gathering. I know, its a geeky thing, but it keeps me sane, almost anyway.

ReineD
12-11-2012, 05:04 PM
IF someone can go weeks, months or years without doing it, Or START at 40, 50 or 60 just WHAT would be wrong with telling some nosey person, "it's one of my hobbies"?

Unless the hobby is to do drag for showmanship and is not an inherent need to express a gender opposite than birth, I don't think they'll believe you.

Gender is a fundamental building block of who we ARE. Unlike optional hobbies like playing golf or collecting antiques, everyone has a gender even if, although rare, it involves a combination of traditional male and female traits and preferences. Our gender is not an option.

Rebecca W.
12-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I have collect vintage nail pullers from the 1860s thru the early 1900s..... this is my pride and joy.... the Samson Bulldog..... I even have a book on nail pullers!

I too collect old tools and I have a large old nail puller, only one so far though. Hand saws, hammers, sledge hammers, any type of pickaxes and lots of model A and Model T hand tools. Also, any hand drills, bit braces, hand planers. Any old used hand tool is a new addition to my collection and most people never use them anymore so they are fairly priced too.

JeanneF
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I race cars. I raced professionally in the early 2000s, but I'm now very happy to be a washed-up has-been club racer and driving instructor.

I also homebrew and am a pretty big history buff...mostly focusing on automotive and local history. I'm actually currently writing a book on the history of car dealerships in Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky. I guess I'm just a great big nerd. :)

I too collect old tools and I have a large old nail puller, only one so far though. Hand saws, hammers, sledge hammers, any type of pickaxes and lots of model A and Model T hand tools. Also, any hand drills, bit braces, hand planers. Any old used hand tool is a new addition to my collection and most people never use them anymore so they are fairly priced too.

That's awesome. I had a customer give me an old Snap-On Model T bolt holder a few years back as a gift. My Snap-On guy actually found me the page out of the 1928 catalog where the tool was listed.

rachellegsep
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
I am a part time horologist (pun intended). I collect and repair manual and automatic pocket , wrist watches and clocks.

CynthiaD
12-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I like counted cross stitch, designing and building electronic circuits, playing guitar, and learning foreign languages. I have a number of cross stitch projects under way, including a couple of cell-phone covers. My ultimate goal is to embroider a flock of butterflies flying up the leg of a pair of jeans. In electronics, I'm currently working on emulators for some early computers like the PDP series. My most active hobbies right now are learning foreign languages and guitar. I play a little guitar every day, and I'm currently working my way through the French versions of the "Maigret" mysteries. I don't suppose that playing guitar qualifies as weird, but my other hobbies are unusual.

lynnef
12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
I collect/repair/etc lots of things much to my wife's great dismay... (transistor/tube/clock/shortwave radios, old video games (pong to ps3 and most in between) , vintage computers (from high end workstations to x86) , vinyl lps especially asian or weird ones, old recording tapes and machines(8 track, reel to reel, cassette, minidisc, etc) i'd love to have more of a car/motorcycle collection, but she sez no to that (so there's just a 91 honda crx, an 88 pontiac safari station wagon, a 80 suzuki gs250 and a wildfire 150 scooter))

27th Jennifer
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty obsessed with kayaking and snorkeling in all of the beautiful nature we have here in Florida.

Carroll
12-11-2012, 08:35 PM
lets see...I used to build model airplane, but no longer have the room to build them. When I go on vacation, I collect sand from various locations. Some times friends will bring me sand

MssHyde
12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
programming PLC's, motorcycles and watching the clouds

Karren H
12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I too collect old tools and I have a large old nail puller, only one so far though..

Make.. model... patent date?

thisgal16
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
My wife and I are currently building a 55 F100. I also go shooting quite a bit and quad riding.

AlexApp
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Throwing [working a pottery wheel], video games, bike riding and sleep. I don't have all that much time to do any of the above since I am in college though.

May(be)
12-11-2012, 09:53 PM
And I hear those mushrooms can really give you some trouble if you hunt too close to mating season. What do you use, 12 gauge or sniper rifle?

I sneak up on them while they're sleeping and take them out with my bare hands!

justmetoo
12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Anything Lotr related, the books, the films and was surprised to see this:

I dabble in that too. I spend an aweful lot of time on my PC too :)
I like LOTR and miniatures (but haven't gotten into the LOTR miniatures)

How do you get the paint to stick to the mushrooms once you've caught them? (jk - creativity is a very good thing. :) )

May(be)
12-11-2012, 10:59 PM
I like LOTR and miniatures (but haven't gotten into the LOTR miniatures)

How do you get the paint to stick to the mushrooms once you've caught them? (jk - creativity is a very good thing. :) )

I don't paint on the mushrooms... Don't be silly:straightface:. I paint WITH the mushrooms:D... and before you go there- no, I don't mean that we have a lovely afternoon together painting portraits of other mushooms... you're being silly again... stop it.

flatlander_48
12-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I also have a cpu collection from 8086 up through Pentium class ..... and our draftsman just found me a nail puller I didn't have on crags list! lol. I have my minions.....

That would be like small onions, right?

Jamie001
12-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Unless the hobby is to do drag for showmanship and is not an inherent need to express a gender opposite than birth, I don't think they'll believe you.

Gender is a fundamental building block of who we ARE. Unlike optional hobbies like playing golf or collecting antiques, everyone has a gender even if, although rare, it involves a combination of traditional male and female traits and preferences. Our gender is not an option.

I just saw a documentary yesterday evening on Gender. They mentioned countries such as India, Samoa, and one other country where they don't subscribe to the Western mindset of binary gender. In fact, folks that present both male and female gender identity are held in very high regard within some societies.

Wildaboutheels
12-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I guess it's probably too late to ask which of your hobbies do you spend the most $$$ on?

ReineD
12-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Yes, Jamie, there have been societies here and there that recognized gender non-conformity. Wiki has general info on this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transgender-related_topics#In_non-Western_cultures). But, for the most part, larger, more contemporary societies don't condone it. We have members from India who feel they must remain closeted. Not sure about Samoa though. It's a pretty small place.

In my statement above, I was referring to societies where there is a major population concentration. It's no use making a general statement if we are to take the exceptions, or the few, as the norm. :p

trisha_anne
12-12-2012, 01:15 AM
I collect and play Magic the Gathering. I know, its a geeky thing, but it keeps me sane, almost anyway.

This would be my main hobby as well, well at least the one I spend the most money and time on at the moment. To tell the truth my wife prefers the dressing over the Magic.

Sarah C.
12-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I've got a '69 Camaro that I've been restoring slowly over the last 10 years or so. Actually getting close now, and should have it on the road next spring. Other than that, I enjoy doing house renovations and woodworking. I've re-done 2 bathrooms in our house as well as all the trim, baseboards, doors, etc.

Ineke Vashon
12-12-2012, 09:37 AM
As the German helmeted guy would exclaim on 'Laugh-in': "Verrrry interethting!" Eighty posts of special hobbies of CDers and nearly all of them turn out to be masculine hobbies. One would think that wearing feminine clothes might include such feminine interests like quilting, knitting and belly dancing.:D Nevertheless, what an interesting group of people we have in this forum.

My main hobbies include, or did include, sailing, kayaking and traditional jazz piano.

Ineke

suzy1
12-12-2012, 10:40 AM
As the German helmeted guy would exclaim on 'Laugh-in': "Verrrry interethting!" Eighty posts of special hobbies of CDers and nearly all of them turn out to be masculine hobbies. One would think that wearing feminine clothes might include such feminine interests like quilting, knitting and belly dancing.:D Nevertheless, what an interesting group of people we have in this forum.

My main hobbies include, or did include, sailing, kayaking and traditional jazz piano.

Ineke

I alter my dresses Ineke, does that count?
And I cook, shop and clean too.

I am sooooo girly:battingeyelashes:

LaraPeterson
12-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Everything at my house is dusty because my housekeeper quit on me. So I guess I collect dust. Does that count as a hobby? That includes my library of +25K books.

kymmieLorain
12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
I love working on cars, my current project is a 1971 Buick Sportwagon. I also build model cars. I collect some Hot Wheels. then there is Motorcycles. MMM see a pattern. Yeah, I'm a motorhead.

Kymmie

julie08
12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
This would be my main hobby as well, well at least the one I spend the most money and time on at the moment. To tell the truth my wife prefers the dressing over the Magic.

I'd give up Magic for my wife to be more understanding about the dressing. Magic is way too expensive.

DesireeFl
12-12-2012, 05:21 PM
I enjoy archery as a hobby!! I am pretty passionate about it actually.

Stephanie Miller
12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm into collecting gold. In the way of coins, chains, rings and bars. So far my collection consits of 1 coin and my wedding ring.
If anybody has any they want to donate in order to help this fledgling hobby blossum, please don't hesitate to contact me :D

Cassandra Lynn
12-12-2012, 06:43 PM
I've become quite fond of my time collection.......and that includes the past 24 hrs.

And if any of you were near death too, you'd understand zactly what i mean.

LisaHeartfilia
12-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Well, I guess it wouldn't be strange, but I used to collect computer parts. No matter how old they were, or even if they didn't work. Now I collect Otaku USA magazines and swords. My sword collection is currently only at 1, a replica katana from an anime called Blood+, but I love it so.

I'm also a skateboarder, as a hobby, interest and lifestyle. Would that count too, even though it's not strange and the only strange part about it is that I've never broken a bone in 10 years?

Miss Informed
12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
I have many hobbies. I am first and foremost an outdoors nut. Hiking, camping, swimming, you name it. I occasionally make a little extra money as a whitewater guide. Next, I am a nerd. I read a lot, when I can, and also play nerdy games like Magic and WoW occasionally. I also am a musician playing guitar, bass, and singing in a band. I go rock hounding (generic term for some that walks around picking up shiny rocks quasi-aimlessly. Above all, I enjoy learning interesting things and people watching. It's kind of a hobby, I guess, to see someone and imagine a thorough story for them, especially the naughty bits.

Cheryl T
12-13-2012, 05:41 AM
I don't have any "strange" hobbies...all of mine are quite sane...We think..........my Precious....

Rebecca W.
12-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Make.. model... patent date?

I will let you know.

becky77
12-13-2012, 06:08 AM
I don't have any "strange" hobbies...all of mine are quite sane...We think..........my Precious....

Lol That's a quote I can relate to.

ps Watching 'The Hobbit' Saturday, a new chapter in my hobby :)

Chickhe
12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
I was thinking about becoming a bagel head...

search on "bagel-head trend" to see what I'm talking about. Its all the rage in Japan!

Danielle_cder
12-13-2012, 04:40 PM
i have a couple of other hobbies, working on my jeep, and playing with my home theater set up

RADER
12-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Since my retirement from Carpentry about 5 years ago, I have been playing with my investments.
I have done fairly well too. Last year my tax guy told me that I made 4 times the money in the market
than my wife and myself did while working our last year before retiring. I had to pay the Uncle a lot of
money. This year I promised the tax guy I would try to behave myself. My wife then asked if I was
going shopping. Sure I said, why not. LOL
Rader

Loveday
12-13-2012, 09:51 PM
For me when I have the time my hobbies are cooking, collecting coins, riding my scooter, and collecting PEZ dispencers. I have about 600 Pez dispencers currently and figure when I die my son can get rich selling the them on line.

DebbieK
01-01-2013, 03:11 AM
I collect old pinball machines and posters.

mirandacdgirl
01-01-2013, 04:47 AM
I spend a lot of time working on my home..love solar energy.. but I also play drums in a death metal band.

jarts55
01-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Reading anything from Stephen King. Oh and watch my favorite basketball team.

SandraInHose
01-01-2013, 11:59 AM
My wife (jokingly) informed me a while back that I'm not allowed to acquire any more hobbies.

In between CDing sessions, I like golf, guns, astronomy, hiking, reading, weightlifting, hockey, and when I have time, I play bass in a heavy metal band.

Currently between bands, as I like to say, since it's not easy to find a group of 50-somethings who still want to rock out like we did in the 70's & 80's. You're only as young as you feel though, amirite?

avant1465
01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
My collection is old 33-1/3 LP records. I have about 300 of them. They are available in all the junk shops around her (Florida)... so I have lots to check out. I only consider them if they are in "primo" condition.... and many are... maybe little-played IF AT ALL!! Cost is about $1 - $2 each. I then play them in to my computer via my "ION" turntable.... so have my "collection" of music available to play over wireless speakers.... AND can make CDs to play in the car or on the boat....

I also do "custom-made" T-shirts on which I paint with fabric paint. Last Fall I sported one that read "Another Amercian for Romeny... and Ryin', too!!!" It's the "price I pay for having to much time and an idle mind!!!!!

Cheryl T
01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
First of all this isn't a "Hobby" to me.
Second of all I don't consider this "Strange".

My hobbies are woodworking and shooting.

LindaAllen
01-01-2013, 02:27 PM
My primary hobby is gardening and i spend a lot of my 'free' time in the yard. Everyone says i have a green thumb. i'm also very nerdy and enjoy reading everyday especially in science related topics like chemistry, biotechnology, and natural history. i also enjoy cooking, drawing, and painting. Going to museums, botanic gardens, beaches looking for interesting stones and shells, and my new thing finding polished glass pieces that have been smoothed by the waves and sand.

jaleecd
01-02-2013, 04:06 AM
I enjoy collecting golf equipment, old and modern. I build mini sprint cars, 1000 c.c. motorcycle engine powered. developing hy-powered target pistols, using 5.56 casings blown out to 7m.m. @ 2600 fps., 1 minute of angle or less accurecy.
I get to do all of my own cooking, cleaning, shopping home maintaince and hoping I can find a GG who wants a 75+ year old odd-ball who likes to dress up femme style...tmi lol

YorkshireRose
01-02-2013, 04:58 AM
I collect Fairy and Dragon figurines. I started with Dragons about 15 years ago and have over 100, then in the last 10 years or so moved onto fairies as well. My SO loves fairies too so we have a good collection now between us.

alwayshave
01-02-2013, 08:26 AM
I collect old books and also scuba dive, when I was younger wreck diving in the cold northeast, now mostly warm Caribbean dives.

artofbalance
01-02-2013, 08:32 AM
I want to see pictures of the 55 F100! That's one thing I'm going to do when I get out of the semi is start building a pickup.

I wouldn't say I have strange hobbies... I'm a cyclist, raced mountain bikes for over half my life and will again. I do airsoft. I enjoy milsim and larger type woods scenarios/games. And I've been snowboarding for over 20 years. I'm doing a lot of sewing nowadays. I figure most womens clothes don't fit me right I may as well make them fit or make my own.

BillieJoEllen
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Lets see, photography and movie making, chemistry, reading, coin collecting and my favorite at the moment would have to be woodworking.

Trish
01-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I build model cars, collect old toy cars, and tinker with my three antique cars. At this time I have over 500 1/25th scale model cars on display.

Nanaya
01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I collect knives of all kinds. I am a huge fan of knives, and my collection is always growing!

I also collect pocket watches.

Sheila11
01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Anything with two wheels and a throttle opens my wallet. 15 bikes in the stable.
All the way from 70's trials and MX to 2012 street and dirt.
I am not the fastest or the best but I have more fun than most.

rita63
01-02-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm at a point where mine are changing due to health issues. I can.t portage anymore so caoeing is gone, at least long trips. Hiking is also no longer possibe, and gardening is not in a north facing condo apt. Cooking, went back to school and got my papers and worked at it. Still have a small antique lamp collection that I am rewiring, but now the old bulbs are going out, antique furniture is all in use, mostly 1880s from family sources. 1960s Canadian poetry books and cook books galore. My son says I'm a hoarder, DVDs albums anything with memories. Looking for new avenues, maybe sea kayaking, hmmm that could be done en femme.

hugs rita

PS Kaaren any roofer worth employing will still use a nail puller, available at most hardware and building centers. I suppose going around looking at buildings and achitecture is a hobby. Have some paintings, some by friends others just ones I like but by artists who sell.

Lacy PJs
01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I like model trains. I'm surprised that there aren't any other model railroaders here...

Oh yes, there have been times when I could be found "workin' on the railroad" in a leo & tights! :)

Lacy PJs

Ninotchka
01-06-2013, 04:21 PM
I am a long time metal detectorist, and I do handyman jobs for some widows.

MsJanessa
01-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Hobbies are sea kayaking, jogging, x-country skiing (when and if it snows here), civil war history---now for "strange hobbies", if you want to know what those are you will have to ask me for a date---lol

Mickey_39
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
During the better months of the year I hang my scrawny butt off the side of a motorcycle and see how low I can go. Been doing good so far, if the sign says 35 I'm figuring 80ish. Been lucky so far. When I'm not riding and the wife can get away we take our 5th wheel trailer out to camp for a night or two.

donnatracey
01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Been playing tabletop baseball dice/computer simulation games for many years....

shayleetv
01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't know if this qualifies as a hobbie, more like a service, but it takes most of my spare time and gives me great satisfaction. Since retiring from work and wanting to fill a void in my life a friend said I should help those who have no one to help them and suggested that I talk to the chaplain at a convalescent center not far from my home. He asked if I could read to some of the people there whose eye sight had failed in their deteriorating years. Most of these people have no one to visit with or to make their lives more pleasant. I started to read to one or two at first. Mostly from newspapers then the crowd grew and now I have a group that I read to for an hour that totals between 12 and 18. They vote and tell me what they would like to hear. When I stop and take a break some want to discuss what I read. It has become quite gratifying to see the energy level increase in these folks. I have made a great many friends and sadly some have left us and some more have joined to replace those who have left. I feel the warmth of their love and I hope they feel mine as well. This has cut drastically into my other hobbie or should I say obsession but I make time for that when it is needed.

cdinmd206
01-07-2013, 07:16 AM
I do competitive civil war era weapon shooting. Nothing like standing on the firing line with over 400 other competitors and the whistle blows and all gun are going off. Well maybe standing on the firing line with 50 others cannons comes close.