PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job

Jess6887
12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm trying to get a job where I can freely dress up but it is so hard, I have multiple ads on the Internet and nothing is coming through as of yet what should I do any suggestions where I should apply or where to advertise

linda allen
12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
A more traditional way to get a job is to answer ads from companies who are looking for employees, not advertising your availability and then waiting for them to contact you.

As for being able to "freely dress up", assuming you mean crossdressing, these will be few and far between. Either working from your home or working in a crossdressing shop are the only ones that come to my mind.

Anyone who hires you to do a job is going to be concerned with you doing that job and not worrying about crossdressing.

kimdl93
12-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Are you interested working at home, or being able to dress at a workplace? It seems that if its the latter, you need to first find job opportunities that match your skills. Second, do some research on company policies regarding transgender employees. Third, submit a resume/vita to companies with suitable openings and TG friendly policies, and finally, when you're called for an interview, present yourself en femme and professionally. Then, best of luck!

Stephanie Miller
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Do your own homework. Look into the companies that you desire to work for. They all have some form of HR dept. Look on line or even call and talk to them about their policies. (Of course as anonymous as possible) If it sounds good, then apply. If you get hired, THEN approach the issue. You have a better chance of getting the job if you dress to impress. Or you can dress the way you desire to - then get turned down.

Joanna Maguire
12-10-2012, 09:43 PM
i have worked enfemme I started up an antique shop I dress in a satin Victorian long dress and of course corsets. Such fun

CD_blue
12-10-2012, 09:51 PM
If you can handle the job without going completely and totally insane (which I couldn't haha)... Around in my area there are telemarketing jobs and customer service call centers that don't care at all how people are dressed. Not all of them but the majority in this area really don't care. I know of two centers where cross dressers actually purposely worked there because they could come to work, change in bathroom, work, get off work, change again in bathroom, and head home.

heatherdress
12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Finding employment is not easy. People are hired primarily upon their skills and experience. If you want to crossdress, it will make the challenge greater. You probably should look to developing you own business or finding employment in which you can work from home. That said, you should try to find a job in which you will be happy. Not simple, but a lot of hard work. You need a plan. You need mentors. Don't expect to find the perfect job or occupation overnight. Good luck.

JenniferR771
12-10-2012, 10:14 PM
The job situation is tough going. It seems to me you have to be better than anyone else who applies. A friend of mine got fired when he went femme, even after HR told him it would be fine. Above advice is good. Look up the non-discrimination policies of major corporations online. GM for instance had a group called ( I forgot). Wait I found it, GM Plus, (People Like Us). The 2 pages of history were written by a CD friend from a few years ago, I think.
http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/The_History_of_GM_PLUS,_GM%E2%80%99s_Lesbian,_Gay, _Bisexual_and_Transgender_Employee_Affinity_Group

Also, self-employment lends itself to freedom from bosses and committee meetings. I enjoyed it.

Beverley Sims
12-11-2012, 01:31 AM
To just obtain employment you need to go out and present yourself as a young enthusiastic go getter.
Be prepared to sweep the floor and work your way up.
Dress at home until the employment situation and economy improves.
Maybe someday! :)

angpai30
12-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Why just sit on your butt and wait? It would lend a better hand in being pro-active in finding a job. what do you mean you have placed ads? are you running a business from home already? What is it that we all are missing from your story? You need to explain a little better.

Angela

linda allen
12-11-2012, 07:13 AM
................. What is it that we all are missing from your story? You need to explain a little better.

Of course.

How old are you? What is your education and experience? What are your skills and physical abilities?

And as for "a job where I can freely dress up", are you actually transitioning from male to female and want a job as a female or are you a crossdresser and looing for a job where you can dress male or female as the mood fits?

You might find some company policies or laws to protect you if you're transitioning, but not if you want to show up one day as Joe and the next day as Josephine.

Jamie001
12-11-2012, 10:29 AM
You might find some company policies or laws to protect you if you're transitioning, but not if you want to show up one day as Joe and the next day as Josephine.

I wonder if the laws protect the feminine male that presents as male, but chooses to incorporate the wearing of some feminine items like Capri Pants, nail polish, and women's shoes? I am considered to be transgendered by the psychological community and therefore wonder if I'm protected under the law?

linda allen
12-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I wonder if the laws protect the feminine male that presents as male, but chooses to incorporate the wearing of some feminine items like Capri Pants, nail polish, and women's shoes? I am considered to be transgendered by the psychological community and therefore wonder if I'm protected under the law?

I am not a lawyer so I can't give you a definitive answer to your question. If you are working, see if your company has a policy that covers your situation.

I suspect that if you are in a back room somewhere, sorting packages or manufacturing products, and are otherwise productive, an employer might tend to put up with your "quirks".

If you are out front, dealing with the public in person and possibly causing a controversy or costing the company business, I suspect it would go the other way and it might cost you your job. Nobody has a "right" to a job and if you are costing the company money, you've got to go.

Melissa_59
12-11-2012, 11:43 AM
IBM has a very open policy about non-discrimination for any reason, and they do specifically state "transgender" in their non-discrimination policy. But I would never recommend anyone ever working for IBM.

Ever.

~Melissa

Cassandra Lynn
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Do you speak Thai?
Willing to do some extensive relocating?

As was stated above, you've not given us much to go by, transitioning is one thing, random crossdressing is all together another.

And having a license or card verifying your status guarantees you very little, i frequent a site where almost all of the folks are in transition and without a doubt the biggest problem they face is discrimination in housing, everyday services the rest of us take for granted and employment opportunities.

Liberal HR policies against discrimination are hardly the rule.

Stephanie47
12-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I think the original post chose his words poorly. His bio says he works in a woman's retail. I think the computerized applications process is what he is referring to. Whenever I go into a Target, Kmart, etc, I see a computer for potential applicants. That's the nature of the corporate retail beast.

I would suggest not bringing up cross dressing with any potential employer or landlord. Just get your foot in the door. One can research state and local laws pertaining to rights. Washington State has anti discrimination laws for cross dressers in employment and housing.

Given the rights in the law does not confer acceptance. Showing up for an interview in a dress will probably result in no job. Most employers, especially for positions of no skills required, do not want disruptive influences in the work place. Now, how does one prove discrimination in hiring, when so few cross dressers are going to apply in a dress? Not many. Legal challenges usually require a pattern of behavior. Once in the door, then the employer and fellow employees chastising a cross dresser can create a pattern of discrimination. And, unless your state and local ordinances protect sexual minorities, you can be fired for no reason at all, just like anyone else.

Until you get the job, leave the dress at home.

Jess6887
12-12-2012, 04:30 AM
i am just looking for employment where i can dress freely, and be myself i wouldn't even mind a gay bar

linda allen
12-12-2012, 09:09 AM
IBM has a very open policy about non-discrimination for any reason, and they do specifically state "transgender" in their non-discrimination policy.
"Transgender" is one thing and a person who is transitioning from male to female is one thing, but "crossdressing" is entirely different. The OP said "freely dress up" and I don't think IBM or most other employers would go along with that.

I suspect IBM is pretty strict in how it expects its employees to dress, at least those dealing with the public on a day to day basis. I had a friend long ago who worked for IBM. He told me it meant "I've Been Moved".

linda allen
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
i am just looking for employment where i can dress freely, and be myself i wouldn't even mind a gay bar

You're not going to get hired by a gay bar from adds you've placed on the Internet. Do you have any experience as a bartender or cook? Server? Doorperson? Are you willing to be the after hours janitor?

Go to these places, ask for the manager, and ask if they have any openings, even part time. Be up front and tell the manager you plan on crossdressing while on duty. You may have to visit dozens of places to find a job.

Speaking of "janitor", you might find companies willing to hire you to clean their buildings after hours and let you "dress up" while you work. No heels and purse, but you could dress as a female cleaner.

Let me just add that the "be myself" part isn't what employers are looking for. Employers are looking for people who seriously want to do what needs to be done for the business. If you want to "be yourself", you may have to start your own business and work for yourself.

Karren H
12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Personally.... in this economic climate.... if I needed a job to buy stuff like food and fuel.... rent.... I'd be willing to wear what ever the prospective employer wanted me to wear..... on the other hand.... if you don't really need money..... and are willing to wait till unemployment gets close to zero.... you might find something out there.....

Kate Simmons
12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Most companies that hire you expect you to take ownership of a job and make it your own. You can't tale ownership if your attention is split between doing the job and being yourself. Just keep that in mind Hon.:)

I Am Paula
12-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Policy or laws aside, if an employer does not want to hire you for ANY reason, all he has to say is the applicant did not do well in the interview. Game over. For any reason. Period. There is no such thing as an antidiscimination law that works.

linda allen
12-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Policy or laws aside, if an employer does not want to hire you for ANY reason, all he has to say is the applicant did not do well in the interview. Game over. For any reason. Period. There is no such thing as an antidiscimination law that works.

Well, from the employer's side, he/she is looking for someone who can and will do the job, do it well, take it seriously, and not cause problems.

If you were hiring, would you hire the person who dresses appropriately for the interview, answers all the questions, and has a good, stable employment history or the person who is looking for a job where he can dress as a woman or "be himself".

Nobody has a "right" to a job.

LadyPilot
12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Jess, you are stating what many of us also wish, I too would love to have a job where I can wear whatever I want. Too bad that you don't get hired for how good you are instead of all the other attributes that goes along with employment. Our society is close mined and will have a hard time having a CD assist them even with all of the "so called" LGBT friendly laws and such. You don't really need to find a job in a gay bar but you should seek out jobs in gay friendly areas then again that will totally depend on your experience.

My wife is always talking about owning a restrurant and want to have it both family and gay (LGBT) friendly where the employes or patrons can dress as they please. If this happens, I will let you know so you can submit a resume. LP