PDA

View Full Version : For those with SOs... a yes or no question?

Wildaboutheels
12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Does your SO do ANY hobbies or activities by themselves or with their friends simply because you have no interest in them? Play bridge, go to "chick flicks", etc.?

Karren H
12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd say just no but there's a 20 character minimum

Persephone
12-11-2012, 04:43 PM
No. I've been trying to encourage her to become more involved in her own activities, groups, clubs, but we seem to do everything pretty much together.

Prior to her retirement, I was a homemaker and became very used to having my own responsibilities and my own schedule, so there are times when I feel claustrophobic now. On the other hand, most of what we do, clubs, organizations, travel, the gym, is as two women friends so she accepts me.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Tracy - new dresser
12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
yes. shes plays roller derby which i have no interest in, but its a girl only sport so im not aloud anyways :P

Wonderwho
12-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes!!!! Our marriage has been based on the fact that we are still two seperate people. We love to spend time togeather but there are times when every healthy couple should be apart.
Last year my wife went on a 14 day tour of Ireland. Before that we went on a trip to New Mexico for the Balloon Fest. We have a lot in common but everyone needs some space.
Untill I told her I was a CDer we had a trusting relationship. Now there is a little trust problem..... My fault! I go Salmon fishing in the Fall alone or with friends, she goes to visit friends 4 hours away. I work in the garage on my car, she goes out with the girls.
If you do not give someone some space the world is a very small place.
Me, a day working in the flower garden on the ponds, Her a day scrapbooking with the girls.
Now that my CDing is out in the open our time togeather means so much more...........
I still need my garage time and she really does not like to do body work. LOL
Wonderwho

NicoleScott
12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes. Karren, you went WAY over the minimum.

minalost
12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Yes - she loves auctions (I can't stand them); she has a girls club that meets once a month; and while we love a lot of the same movies, we both have gone alone to movies the other would not like; she loves crossword puzzels, they bore me to tears.

JenniferMBlack
12-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Thankfully yes as it has been said you need some time alone.

Sometimes Steffi
12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Yes, she runs a food pantry.

Aloha Jayne
12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Very interesting question.....my SO and I have just been having a similur discussion. Yes she does go keep the grandkids, I guess that would be her hobby, which gives me a few days to myself now and then.

But she has been trying to come up with something that would be equivalent to: "if the shoe were on the other foot". IOW, what would there be that she would be into, or like to try, that would upset me as much as she is upset about CDing. Neither of us can come up with anything. She has suggested wanting to sleep with another woman, she read all three 50 Shades of Gray, or has asked: "what if I wanted to dress up like a guy?" I'm sorry, but if any of those things were something she really needed to try, or wanted to experiment with in order to better understand who she is, I would support her.

I would want to have a discussion - is this really something that is important to you? is it going to change our relationship? is this something you want to try, or is this a lifestyle change? etc. There is only one thing that I couldn't allow, and that is sleeping with another guy. I think that is obviously over the line.

Of course you ask, why could I accept her being attracted to a woman and not a man. And I guess I would feel some jealousy, but I think I could deal with it if it was something she felt she needed......and maybe I could watch,,,,sorry, bad form.:heehee:

Marlana
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Well Karen has enough character by herself. My wife has no hobbies. We do almost everything together. My time away is work or grocery shopping with our son.

Miriam-J
12-11-2012, 06:12 PM
My wife has a number of interests, but your basic premise is mistaken. I most definitely have a lot of interest in her (and she in me), and we share a number of interests together. Just because you CD doesn't mean you can't have a great relationship, including a wonderful sex life.

Miriam

GabbiSophia
12-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Does Facebook count? That's really all she does.

sandra-leigh
12-11-2012, 07:07 PM
She used to practice Japanese drumming a lot. These days she watches Japanese TV a lot (no subtitles so I can't understand the shows.)

kathtx
12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
yes. shes plays roller derby which i have no interest in, but its a girl only sport so im not aloud anyways :P

Hey, my wife's a roller derby girl too!

kimdl93
12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Not really.m she's busy with work and we spend our time together when not working.

DanaR
12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
No, we do pretty much everything together.

Cheryl T
12-12-2012, 05:42 AM
No...same as DanaR, we do most everything together and always have.

Melanie Sykes
12-12-2012, 06:34 AM
No. She doesn't have any interests or activities which don't involve me, although I wish she would: I often encourage her to get involved in different things. I work away from home quite a bit, and I really wish she would go out a bit more and enjoy herself, but then she'd have to arrange babysitters for the children. So, instead, she sits in during the evenings and waits for me to get home. That makes me feel guilty when I'm away, so neither of us ends up enjoying ourselves. I have a variety of interests which don't interest her, so we end up watching TV a lot when we're both in - it's the only thing we have in common. Apart from the kids, the last 15+ years, a few good friends, and great sex (not with the friends).

DAVIDA
12-12-2012, 06:45 AM
No for me too. Jean is an eigth grade science teacher. All of her time goes to her job.:Angry3:
I don't see how anybody would want to teach these students that have no respect for most things.
Of course, that doesn't include all of them.
I guess that is why she has been doing it for 34 years.:brolleyes:

becky77
12-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Not really unless you count her fixation with the Twilight Saga!

Sandra1746
12-12-2012, 07:33 AM
We do a lot together but her current main hobby is fiber arts; spinning, knitting, etc.
She is pretty talented at it too. If I tried I'd end up with tangles.

Sandra17476

melanie206
12-12-2012, 02:27 PM
My wife watches a lot of cop shows and I can only take so much. But just recently she's discovered that she doesn't mind sex with a completely shaved man so perhaps she will have less TV time.

UNDERDRESSER
12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes, she is getting into climbing, which I am considering, but even if i do, I don't think I'll do as much as her. She also has some guiding duties, which take a her away for a few days a year. For the most part, we have many similat "hobies" and pursuits which we share. Some that we did before we hooked up, and some we have found that we like since. It is a source of great happiness to me that we share so much, and also let the other have their thing.

Terri
12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
My wife has interests and hobbies that I am not envolved in just because she is her own person. I think that is very healthy.

SandraV
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Absolutely. I think it would be a detriment to our relationship not to. As much as we try to do things together and enjoy each other's company, we all need our space and distractions. If she needs a girls night out every now and then, other than being jealous for not being invited as one of the girls :battingeyelashes: , I'm all for it. Same for any other activity she might choose to go with.

suchacutie
12-12-2012, 08:37 PM
There is not much that we don't do together, as my two gendered selves covers a lot of territory, but she does knit and I really have no interest in knitting, so she has knitters groups and online interaction that I have no deep interest in joining. Crocheters Unite :)

Tara D. Rose
12-12-2012, 08:51 PM
we do almost all activities together.

ambigendrous
12-12-2012, 10:12 PM
My wife goes out to a local senior center to play bingo every Tuesday, but other than that we're together almost constantly. But, when we're at home she's usually in the living room watching her "reality" TV shows and reading, while I'm in the den watching my Discovery/History Channel/Science/SYFY/etc shows and surfing the 'net so even though we're together we're in separate rooms.

Bree Wagner
12-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Absolutely, we're very different and independent people. We have a wonderful relationship that would be absolutely ruined if we HAD to do everything together! :devil:

Barbara Ella
12-12-2012, 10:28 PM
My wife has activities I do not participate in, but she does not do those to exclude me, and has invited me on occasion. We do a lot together, and enjoy what we do and don't do.

Barbara

AmyGaleRT
12-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Yes, although the list is fairly short. My fiancee is an avid console FPS player, especially of the various Modern Warfare and Black Ops titles. She's even a member of a clan. I, on the other hand, don't really have the "killer instinct" for those.

She also plays a number of Facebook games, which I consider to be complete wastes of time that's better spent dressing en femme and posting on these forums. :)

- Amy

Tracy - new dresser
12-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Hey, my wife's a roller derby girl too!

well being from texas that doesnt surprise me ;) im told its huge over there.. ?

Megan72
12-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Simply...Yes, my SO has a card making class that she does every month and she is so much more crafty than I that if I get involved I end up screwing her project up.

Beverley Sims
12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
My wife has a kiln and does ceramic and porcelain artwork.
If I get into the fray I introduce physics into it and stuff it up completely.
We have a great working relationship. She does it and I leave it alone. :)

~Joanne~
12-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Yes but not because I have no interest in them but because I do not have the time to partake in them. Usually when she is off and out, I am at work.

Jocelyn Quivers
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes, and with my complete encouragement and support. If when a commercial for some god awful chick flick which I have no intrest in seeing comes on, before my wife say's anything I will blurt out, "Hey that would be a great movie for you and your friends to watch!!" Of course she usually will not accept that statement from me, which is far better than my original response. "Honey if I wanted to be in pain for $20-$30 I will just schedule an appointment with my proctologist as opposed to having to sit through another chick flick movie!! I will try and make a compromise and suggest we go furniture, candle, fine china, or window drapery shopping.

Bonnie84
12-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes, but not enough. She reads a lot of fiction, makes jewelry, and does a lot of stuff online (productive and non). I just wish she'd go out more with out having me tag along. It's not that I mind, I just want her to have time away so that I'm not playing entertainment committee

SANDRA MICHELLE
12-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I was going to copy and paste what Karren said to be lazy but .... no!

Kaz
12-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I play guitar in a couple of rock bands... she doesn't. She does her stuff - I don't. I think it is so important to be able to express our individual selves as well as share our lives... I want not want to her sacrifice anything on my account... life is too short!

JenniferR771
12-15-2012, 03:13 PM
We are both rather individualistic. Neither is social. She loves to watch TV--cops and robbers shows, mainly. And she loves Christmas--mainly because she loves to decorate the house--top to bottom--ornaments are everywhere. She is also an intense gardener --flowers mainly around the house. Relationship is a bit tense due to cding, Dont ask don't tell policy--I dress when she is out; we don't do much together.