PDA

View Full Version : Description of someone suffering from Siege Mentality

Tiffany Grace
12-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Definition of Siege Mentality. You have two pairs of everything, a gazillion nylons, garters, pantyhose, makeup, and stiletto heels! as many as Imelda Marcos : )

you horde? Do you wear the same dresses more than others ? I am grateful for all my dresses but I find myself gravitating to my favorites while some hang with price tags in my closet. That has got to change. :)

Vieja
12-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Well Tiffany I have more panties bras slips and nightgowns than most women but I only have three dresses. My favorite is one that hangs loose with no elastic waist and that is the one I wear the most.

I buy everything on line. What I need to do I think is go to Macy's or Dillard's and deal with a salesperson. Maybe I will find something that hangs nice, feels good and is not restricting.

Vieja

April_Ligeia
12-13-2012, 09:57 AM
This is an interesting idea. I personally become anxious if I only have one of something I really like, as if something might happen to it and I need a backup. I horde some things, feeling as if for some reason I might run out. Sometimes it pays off, if a company discontinues a product. Other times I wonder why I have two copies of a book I've read once.

Melissa_59
12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
I wonder if it has anything to do with your ability to get out in public? I have some outfits, skirts, tops, and about four pair of heels, but there's no place to go in this town (I Googled LGBT in my town and it came back and said "Sorry honey, nothing found there" - seriously) so I don't get out often. The nearest places where I know there are groups are in Austin, which is about 220 miles from me - not exactly your afternoon or evening trip.

~Melissa

LaraPeterson
12-13-2012, 11:07 AM
I have lots of pantyhose and bras (I find it difficult to throw away hose with runs, why I don't know) but the only thing I really horde is nail polish. I don't know why I do that either. I have dozens of bottles that I've only worn once, but I hold onto them anyway.

As for clothes, my wardrobe in not very large and I wear most everything I have. In fact, I don't buy many new shoes because when I find a pair I really like, I wear them until they are falling apart. But I do that in guy mode, too.

Kate Simmons
12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Not really Hon. I do have a couple of favorite bras though. They happen to work very well when I go dancing.:battingeyelashes::)

Beverley Sims
12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I have a large choice in my wardrobe and I wear most of it often.
Evening wear does get less use.
Ever tried shopping in K Mart women's section in a Cristian Dior original?
I can tell you you do get noticed and some women want to admire the dress. :)

CassandraSmith
01-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Definition of Siege Mentality. You have two pairs of everything, a gazillion nylons, garters, pantyhose, makeup, and stiletto heels! as many as Imelda Marcos : )

you horde? Do you wear the same dresses more than others ? I am grateful for all my dresses but I find myself gravitating to my favorites while some hang with price tags in my closet. That has got to change. :)

Not quite a siege mentality but lots of pantyhose, nylons, garter belts, underwear, bras, jewelry. I'm actually a little short on shoes. If I had the budget for it, I'd have about 30 different pairs of shoes and boots. Since I buy previously loved blouses and dresses on Ebay, not much of my stuff has tags on it though.

Alice Torn
01-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Good topic! For the first time, i have a closet that has zero room left, to squeeze any clothes, guy, or gal, into. I do not like it that packed solid! and, i just got three new Ebay dresses, and three more pairs of pumps. I now have six pairs. Something has to give. I am going through my clothes, both guy and gal, and , unlike the federal government, making the hard decisions to make clothing cuts!! Too much stuff, and hoarding is a real problem.

JadeEmber
01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about this recently, as I've bought a rather large amount of stuff -- largely because I used to work 100 hour weeks as a matter of course, and so often didn't think much out of hours about it. I have some time off, and went a little nuts.

Really, though, everyone has totally different reasons for what they do. If I find something I really like, I'll buy it in different colors. The reality is, part of this for me is choosing something that reflects how I feel at the time, and color is integral to that. If I don't have something that matches that "feeling," then I get frustrated. I think woman tend to view clothes more in this fashion, so that's why some tend to have lots of choices.

On the other hand, some are just hoarders :P.

However, it's a bitof a concern as if I move overseas, shipping is expensive and can result in damage, especially since one can never say for sure how long a job will last. On the other hand, I'd have to sell my house, which is a bigger stress point anyway, since I doubt I'd ever settle back into the house owning life again, so it's not _that_ much on my mind ;)

Angela Campbell
01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
I only buy something if I really like it or if I need it. I have maybe 4 dresses, 5 or 6 skirts, and about 10 tops. 4 bras and enough panties to go two weeks without washing. Add to that a nice sweater, 4 pair of shoes, 20 bracelets, 40 pair of earrings, 10 necklaces, 4 wigs, 3 or 4 unopened pantyhose and 2 opened. 3 sets of glue on nails, and enough makeup to stock the local drugstore. Also several pair of leggings, and assorted body shaping devices. Here is the kicker. I have 2 pair of mens jeans, and 4 pair of womens jeans. Whadayaknow!

jillleanne
01-05-2013, 10:58 PM

Exactly!!! Let's get shopping!!!

donnalee
01-06-2013, 07:47 AM
I have a number of lovely silk, cashmere, rayon, linen and other fabrics that I just can't bring myself to wear day to day because I don't want them damaged. As I spent my early adult life without much money, I tend to accumulate things in case I might need them and I hate to see them wasted. This used to be known as thrift, not hoarding, which is a modern fiction.

Cheryl T
01-06-2013, 10:22 AM
While I have lots of lingerie and stockings and quite a wardrobe of skirts and dresses I find myself actually taking stock of what I wear and intentionally not wearing the same things over and over. Maybe this comes from when I was closeted and had only 1 or 2 outfits and did wear them ad nauseum.