PDA

View Full Version : Making the difference

Kate Simmons
12-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Many of us here would be "movers and shakers" in man's world if we chose to follow our male destiny and follow typical male dreams and aspirations. We would be a viable force to be reckoned with playing in the king sized "sandbox" with the rest of them. Our dedication to what we believe in proves that.

We have, rather, chosen to develop our "softer" sides and not hob knob with the "big boys" so to speak. Does anyone regret having missed our "calling" in that respect? I personally don't miss any of it and feel better about myself for pursuing one of my true dreams to bring a little extra beauty into an otherwise drab, boring and colorless world that sometimes lacks a lot of imagination. In fact, I can't imagine doing otherwise. How do you feel about this?:)

erickka
12-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Well Kate,I have to side with you on this issue. I also view myself as being an "original", instead of a "cookie cutter" kind of guy. Like you said, this boring and drab world needs some beauty and color, and we all can fulfill that need.

Beverley Sims
12-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Another thought provoking thread... What have you been taking lately?
I may have had a different life if I had not spent so much time on this part of my life.
Situations occur that change your direction in life and although I do not regret it I do wonder....
What might have been.

Ceri Anne
12-14-2012, 08:01 AM
I once was in a personality conference and found out there are 4 levels of agressivness. Type A plays in the king size sandbox and has to be in charge. Type B handles being in charge very well, but isn't hung up on it. Can either lead or follow, Type C is a great follower, self starter and Type D is a follower only, and needs a kick in the rear every now and again.

That said, I'm a type B+. As a girl or a guy, I don't need to lead but gravitate that way in most activites I do. I know women who are like this also, so the king size sandbox is not out of limit either way. Since a type B can be a good leader or follower, I can also be a girl or a guy........:)

Sara Jessica
12-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Who says there aren't a bunch of movers & shakers among us?

Who says you have to be a classic "type A" to be a mover & shaker?

Who says a woman couldn't be a mover & shaker?

Just as Ceri talks about the different "types" of aggressiveness which can describe where people might fall in a leadership profile, there are many different styles of leadership as well. The end result if often the same, the journey in how we get there is what's different.

Personally, I can play with the big boys when required but I'm a leader at heart. Yet my style is to lead by inspiring others rather than to have a heavy hand which feeds into a culture of fear. Perhaps that is simply my heart shining through the armor, so to speak, but at the end of the day it can be a very effective alternative to the type A approach.

Kate Simmons
12-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Good points all. The main thing is that I'm my own person and am not swayed by the agendas of others. I, too, strive to lead by example as everyone makes their own unique contribution to the overall effort. :)

Angela Campbell
12-14-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't think I fit into any of those categories. I have never had any spirit of competitiveness at all and do not work well with others. Yes I have done many things in my career, from being a helper to being the guy in charge. I can do it all if I want to but never really liked doing the in charge thing and to tell the truth I do not play well with others on a team. I do my best when given an assignment with a desirable outcome and then be left alone to do it all by myself. I am very good at that, but not so good if I have to do it your way. So I am not much of a leader, not much of a follower, and never need a kick in the rear to get me going. I never wanted to be in charge, or be successful, or be looked up to. I just wanted to be left alone and survive and do what I like to do. Money never interested me except for use as a tool to get what I need or want, power bores me, and fame would be frightening. When I was little my Mother told me I could be anything I wanted to be.....I wanted to be a girl.

I guess I am a type E

kimdl93
12-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I've been a big fish in a small pond and a small fish in a big pond. I actually think I may have been more successful had I come to accept myself earlier in life....but there is still time!