PDA

View Full Version : The 10 worst gifts list. Check this out!

TGMarla
12-01-2005, 12:04 PM
In the midst of what has so far amounted to less turmoil than I anticipated, I still employ a sense of humor. Last night, our local news did the entire gender spectrum a disservice by providing a joke at the expense of the transgender community. After all, if you can't laugh at those silly transvestites, who can you laugh at? Buncha freakin' wierdos!

A while ago, I had posted a thread that resonated with a few of you about how one effect of aging as a male is that I now have hair growing in places I never did before, most specifically out of my nose and ears. It's really hard to trim this stuff, and I thought an inexpensive nose and ear hair trimmer might be a good stocking stuffer this year. I mentioned it to my wife, and she wondered where she could get one for me. I told her that I'd let her know.

On came the evening news. Remember that I was only two evenings removed from "The Talk" with her concerning my crossdressing. Every local news program eventually gets to the filler, the "soft" news that is supposed to bring a smile to the audience. You know, some cat is caring for a litter of puppies, or some crap that no one really cares about. Last night it was the list of the 10 worst Christmas gifts you can get for your loved ones. If you're interested, the full list is here (http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/default.cfm?Action=ReleaseDetail&ID=10922) while it lasts. Sure enough, number two on the list was an ear and nose hair trimmer! But what really blew me away was number one. I was sitting on the couch next to my wife, and up came the number one gift you DON'T want to give this Chistmas: A book called Miss Vera's Cross-Dress for Success! There was a rather uncomfortable moment of silence. You could almost hear what she was thinking. I said aloud after a moment, "Gee, I want a nose-hair trimmer."

I swear, you could just cut it with a knife. But she didn't make any catty remarks or anything at all like that. Penny for her thoughts? I'd pay a lot more than that. But it blew over.

I just thought I'd share the moment with all of you, too.

Here's a picture of the book. Nice that we're taken so seriously.

Kierci
12-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I have to agree the Media isn't doing a bang up job at helping any of us to come out of the closet. I wish I had the nerve or guts to contact them and inform them of my dispointment in there "NEWS" but I know I would chicken out well before the call was made.

Kera_dove
12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
I have to agree the Media isn't doing a bang up job at helping any of us to come out of the closet. I wish I had the nerve or guts to contact them and inform them of my dispointment in there "NEWS" but I know I would chicken out well before the call was made.

What is the TV Station Name State and City? I'm sure that someone would be willing to contact them and let them know how much they appreate their take on the Transgendered community.

Kera :be:

Billijo49504
12-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Now I know what to put on my list.:D Actually the worst gift would have to be, tighty whitey men's briefs:( :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

TGMarla
12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
What is the TV Station Name State and City? I'm sure that someone would be willing to contact them and let them know how much they appreate their take on the Transgendered community.
It's KRQE news in albuquerque,NM. Their website is www.krqe.com (http://www.krqe.com). If you dig a little, the story is posted on their website. Some big laugh, huh?

KatieZ
12-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Morons all.

I sent an e-mail to them at this page http://www.krqe.com/contact/
The actual story can be found on this page http://www.krqe.com/seenonkrqe/

Here is my letter, short and (not so) sweet:

I was informed of an article you ran on the news about the 10 worst gifts. #1 being Miss Vera's crossdress for success.
How dare you make light of a subject such as this. It is hard enough dealing with trying to express ourselves to our Wives and girlfriends without you idiots pushing negative thoughts into their heads. Crossdressing is real and most likley you know some of us. Our numbers are staggering but thanks to uneducated media types like yourselves we just keep getting pushed further into the closet. Wake up and do some honest investigative reporting on the crossdressing phenomenon instead of that crap you all so dearly love to spread around.

Hugs

Ellaine
12-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Well posted Marla :)

Katie Thanks for the link :)
I have added my own complaint:

I have to add my voice to the complaints I know you'll recieve about the "10 worst Christmas gifts".
You have been incredibly thoughtless, selecting what is in reality a section of every community for ridicule. Crossdressing is a distressful and traumatic compulsion in many practicioners, and is no small contributor to suicides and marrital breakup.
True, some crossdressers are fetishists by choice, others though are seen as crossdressers but are in fact deeply distressed transexuals, working their very tough way toward a gender change. Somewhere in the middle are a great number who fail, just like the "experts" to really understand why they have this compulsion. For them it is an affliction that they either learn to accept or suffer for life.
I can only urge you to look at the phenomenon without prejudice and make a sensible program with some sympathy and respect.
You might also look at your employment policy relating to transgender individuals.
Figures are notoriously difficult to come by, but you have possibly offended between 5% and 15% of your male viewers. Females are also affected, though in significantly smaller numbers.

EllaineTV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come on girls give 'em hell!

Ellaine

sarahsfiona GG
12-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Can anyone tell me more about the book? If it's good, I'd like to get it for Sarah. :) I bought her "The Art of Illusion Vols 1 - 3" by JoAnn Roberts, but she couldn't take it back home with her, unfortunately. (I found it fascinating reading and may buy my own copy.)

And, in fact, ladies, what WOULD be on your Christmas wish list for your SO to buy for you? (Other than the trimmer, although I'll keep it in mind.)

I'm working on my response to the idiots at the station, but have to get back to class. ARGH, I'm late!!

Fiona

Ellaine
12-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Can anyone tell me more about the book? If it's good, I'd like to get it for Sarah. :)

Hi Fiona et al..............From Amazon: Synopsis
From the founder of Manhattan's Miss Vera's Finishing School for Boys Who Want to Be Girls, the world's first cross-dressing academy, comes this tastefully exuberant tour of all things femme. Having combed the Internet in search of bargains, chat groups and beauty tips for the girl with something extra, Miss Vera here offers an indispensable guide to the creme de la creme of products, places and people in an otherwise virtual labyrinth of information. So if you're looking for an open-nipple bullet bra, a sexy peignoir, or tips on hair removal or makeup, Miss Vera will point you in the right direction by recommending a host of goods and services - all of whose merchants offer privacy and discretion.
~~~~~~~~~~~

It sounds more like a marketing directory gimick than a serious reference!

The media ridicule of the TG community is something you can mail a complaint about though :
http://www.krqe.com/contact/

Go on. You know you want to.

Ellaine

BrendaChristine
12-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Mistress Vera's is a Campy place in New York City. I've thought about going to check it out. I find it kinda funny (the news story), but I understand how many would be offended by it. But I seem to find humor in the most offensive of things. Either I'm dense or just well adjusted. Probably a little of both.

Jennifercd_NJ
12-01-2005, 03:52 PM
thanks for the info. I thought some of my gifts were bad , but I feel so much better

Dana
12-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Can anyone tell me more about the book? If it's good, I'd like to get it for Sarah. :) I bought her "The Art of Illusion Vols 1 - 3" by JoAnn Roberts, but she couldn't take it back home with her, unfortunately. (I found it fascinating reading and may buy my own copy.)

And, in fact, ladies, what WOULD be on your Christmas wish list for your SO to buy for you? (Other than the trimmer, although I'll keep it in mind.)

I'm working on my response to the idiots at the station, but have to get back to class. ARGH, I'm late!!

Fiona

The jest of the book is to encourage men to explore not only their femininity ~ but if applicable their sexuality ~( to some marginal degree.) To stretch their bounderies beyond the mainstream.

While the actual material that makes up the bulk of the book falls under a "take it or leave" it note, it IS replent with numerous addresses, websites, etc. In fact I would say that this takes up a good fifth of the book. Worth the price of the book for that alone! IMHO! In the end, all in all, I'd give it a :thumbsup:

Christina Nicole
12-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Veronica Vera runs a TG business in NYC. She seems to cater to very fetish-y tastes. Since I use to work in NYC, I looked into it. It's not really my thing. They do have a few good things to offer, but there's that... umm -- hard to put into words, but... tacky, ****ty, tasteless, something there that scares me off.

Also, she's frightfully expensive for what she offers. I could afford it if I though it was worth something. But I'd rather spend the money on clothes, shoes, makeup, and jewelry instead.

On the other hand, I still am considering flying out to California for some image work with Danae Doyle at FemImage (http://www.femimage.com/index.htm). I've met her and received some help from her. She's wonderful! 100% endorsement without reservations.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

KELLYANN
12-01-2005, 08:17 PM
BUNCH OF IDIOTS! good plug for miss vera though.

MisterMissy
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Ooh I don't like those parodies either--
like Man-T-Hose at my local novelty shop (pantyhose with a fly)
it's not funny, there's nothing funny about that

BrendaChristine
12-01-2005, 08:30 PM
BUNCH OF IDIOTS! good plug for miss vera though.

Exactly. It's got a lot of people talking about her who never heard of her.

Stacie Stockman
12-01-2005, 09:10 PM
If I had to choose a product as the worst product to get... it would be the anal bleaching cream. Sorry my asshole isnt going to be shown enough for someone to say, "You know you would look good if only you bleached your asshole."

If someone gave Ms Vera's book to me, I would say thanks and give them a hug.

sarahsfiona GG
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
While the actual material that makes up the bulk of the book falls under a "take it or leave" it note, it IS replent with numerous addresses, websites, etc. In fact I would say that this takes up a good fifth of the book. Worth the price of the book for that alone! IMHO! In the end, all in all, I'd give it a :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'll check it out. :)
Fiona

Jakie_Rose
12-01-2005, 10:30 PM
This type of article should not be consided at all but I should thanks them for the referrals .

I did not know about the book or Miss Vera's site .

Also thank you Christina Nicole for the Fem Image link .

Hugs

Jakie

BrendaChristine
12-01-2005, 10:47 PM
If I had to choose a product as the worst product to get... it would be the anal bleaching cream. Sorry my asshole isnt going to be shown enough for someone to say, "You know you would look good if only you bleached your asshole."

If someone gave Ms Vera's book to me, I would say thanks and give them a hug.

Anal bleaching cream......hmmmmmmmmm better than coal in the stacking!

Jasmine Ellis
12-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Mans clothes all the time.
I just want to shout ladies wear please! But I can't not to my family. so I buy my own and put there names on each one, and say thanks...........

jo_ann
12-07-2005, 10:49 AM
should have put "anything made by apple" as the worst gift because it will be obsolete after christmas "introducing the new IPOD video/PDA/phone//toaster/juicer"

JoAnnDallas
12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
FYI.... I let them know my 2 cents worth. Thanks for the link.

Julia Cross
12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Iy everyone reading this post were to respond the TV channel who produced this top 10 chart, I think our point would be well made. They may actually decide to do a piece on the crossdressing phenomia down the road. I would not be surprised if it was just one inexperienced reporter who made put this together and it just slipped through the cracks.

I intend to write them and encourage everyone else to.

I too found the book a little tacky, however it was still good reading and a actually quite informative. The book does cover what the title suggests so keep that in mind. I don't know about the US, but in Canada, both the original and the followup book were readily available at Chapters and Indigo right on the shelf in the store, several copies in fact. And it was the only crossdressing book I have ever seen them carry.

Julia

Raychel
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
I gave them a piece of my mind also, I hope that they do some research and do a followup article. When they find out that some of there best friends also crossdress.

Here is what I sent them
I have heard that you station has made a remark about transvestites "After all, if you can't laugh at those silly transvestites, who can you laugh at? Buncha freakin' wierdos!"

I am not in your market, but it would seam to me that maybe the Transvestite and crossdressing comunity is larger than you may think. It apears that at least on of your listeners was bothered by this statement. Now if this is you policy on transvetittes and you wish to eliminate a portion of your listeners, then keep up the good work.

My self being a business man. I don't think that it is good business to drive people away from your market. I have met alot of people over the years. Of all walks of life. Most of them are great people that want no more than there fellow man or woman to be happy and healthy. So in my mind it doesn't matter how a person dresses, or if they are gay, or colored, or from another country. No matter what I consider them good people, until they prove themself otherwise. And if one person in that group does not fit my bill as a good person, that does not automatically rule out the rest of those people. It is just that one person.

So overall I would sugest that you do some research on the transvestite and crossdressing comunity and find out that we really are good people. Just because we choose to wear womens clothes doesn't make us bad people.

And I would bet that if you do enough digging that you will find someone at you station that crossdresses also. Probably your best friend or co-worker.

That would make a good article for your news cast. Some good news for a change

Thanks For Your Time
Ray

Katrina
12-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the link! I gave them my $0.02. I just wish I was a bit more eloquent.

I was recently provided a link to your "10 worst gifts list". As a member of the transgender community I'm appalled that you saw fit to poke fun at our community by having "Miss Vera's crossdress for success" book as the number one choice. We have a tough enough time existing in this world with closed-minded individuals such as yourselves treating us like freaks when all we want to do is express ourselves the way we feel we should be able to. Instead of poking fun at transgendered people, why don't you run an informational story on how we make up 5-10% of the population, yet in many states, there are no laws on the books that protect us from discrimination.

beckydee
12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Soooo... the burning question is... has anyone had a reply?

Maria D
12-07-2005, 07:35 PM
In England, there's a show on telly called 'Little Britain', and among the comedy characters there's a couple of transvestites. They prance around in big fluffy dresses, one of them has a mustache, and they tend to say things like 'No, we're laaaaaaaaaadies, we do laaaaaady things, like knitting, and baking... and sh*t'.
Personally, I find them funny, but I'm sure they've upset other transgendered people.
People are usually willing to laugh at things, except themselves. For instance, the new series of that show has introduced an incontinent old lady, and the incontinence society of Great Britian has gone ape over it. How DARE they make fun of this, etc. I'm fairly confident that those in uproar laughed at the transgendered parody, though. And in fairness, if you laugh at the old lady, you have the same mentality that would laugh at the TVs. Personally I laughed at both.
Mind you, I laughed at work today when a girl missed her coffee cup and poured water all over the side. Perhaps I'm just odd.

Maria
xxx

Lauren_T
12-07-2005, 09:22 PM
:OT:

should have put "anything made by apple" as the worst gift because it will be obsolete after christmas "introducing the new IPOD video/PDA/phone//toaster/juicer"I'd say that's an unwarranted slam. Unlike Sony's disasterous NetWalkman, for just one glaring example, the first-generation iPod (Y'know, the original mp3 player? The one that everyone tries so desperately to imitate and yet can't match in sonic quality, reliability or pure cool factor?) works just fine and will do so for many years to come.

Or you could try telling the millions who run OS X 10.4.3 on eight-year-old iMacs that their computers are obsolete. They'll be quite surprised to learn that. :)

Apple's products, oddly enough, are among the ones that AREN'T obsolete a year or two later. Now, if you mean that Apple continually introduces newer and better models for the same money or often less? Why yes, they do that. Of course, they could always do like their lame competitors who've tried for the last 25+ years to mimic Apple's success by cranking out inferior imitations of Apple's groundbreaking, innovative, state-of-the-art products (starting with the personal computer). Maybe that would be better than their constantly improving their products? Those vicious *******s, how dare they! :p

Actually, the greedy slime at Intel are the ones who, when they develop some improvement over existing technology, sit on it until they've milked every penny from the old-tech crap and then only roll out the new stuff when they're forced to. Great for the stockholders, but just a underhanded royal screwing for the public.

(This post was written on a decidedly non-obsolete four-generations-and-seven-years-old Macintosh. It runs the current OS and apps just fine.)

I suspect someone's feeling testy because they got an iPod Mini just before the Nano was released. It's irritating, sure, but only if you absolutely must have The Latest And Greatest.

Anyway, hijack :sb: over! Everyone back on your heads! :D

Lauren_T
12-07-2005, 09:38 PM
:)

Checking this out, it turns out that this outfit, ShopInPrivate.com (http://www.ShopInPrivate.com), whose gimmick is selling stuff that people tend to be embarassed to buy in person, sent out a "humourous" seasonal press release to media outlets to drum up a little free advertising... Their 10 Worst list is just an attention-getting gimmick (they do sell all those products, after all) and the story editor at the TV station didn't have any better 'Lighter Side' filler to run on that day's 'cast.

Since the station had no hand in creating it, their sin is lessened a bit, in my eyes, anyway... ;)

But if you wanna vent, why not tell the guy who created the list?

Tom Nardone the President of ShopInPrivate.com is available for questions, comments or conversations at 1-800-809-0610.

Tom Nardone (tom@IsderaCorp.com)
President
IsderaCorp.com
510 E. 10 Mile Rd.
Hazel Park, MI 48030
Phone : 800-809-0610 ext. 3#
Fax : 248-744-3584

Raychel
12-08-2005, 06:48 AM
I will say that I am always up for a laugh, even if it is at my own expense. I have gone to work in the past and told my coworkers of stupid things that I have done at home, NON cd related of course. We all laugh and have a good time. That part is not what aggravates me. It was just the final sentence. After all, if you can't laugh at those silly transvestites, who can you laugh at? Buncha freakin' wierdos!" I think they good have been alot more tasteful in that sentence. Afterall I am not a silly transvestite, maybe a funny guy in a dress. I know to some it may be the same, It just doesn't sound as bad to me. And "Buncha freakin' wierdos" now that is just rude.

I'll step down off the soap box now. :angry: :sb:

BrendaChristine
12-08-2005, 07:05 AM
In England, there's a show on telly called 'Little Britain', and among the comedy characters there's a couple of transvestites. They prance around in big fluffy dresses, one of them has a mustache, and they tend to say things like 'No, we're laaaaaaaaaadies, we do laaaaaady things, like knitting, and baking... and sh*t'.
Personally, I find them funny, but I'm sure they've upset other transgendered people.
People are usually willing to laugh at things, except themselves. For instance, the new series of that show has introduced an incontinent old lady, and the incontinence society of Great Britian has gone ape over it. How DARE they make fun of this, etc. I'm fairly confident that those in uproar laughed at the transgendered parody, though. And in fairness, if you laugh at the old lady, you have the same mentality that would laugh at the TVs. Personally I laughed at both.
Mind you, I laughed at work today when a girl missed her coffee cup and poured water all over the side. Perhaps I'm just odd.

Maria
xxx
I love "Little Britain"!. I get it on BBC America. Hilarious.

TGMarla
12-08-2005, 08:23 AM
That part is not what aggravates me. It was just the final sentence. After all, if you can't laugh at those silly transvestites, who can you laugh at? Buncha freakin' wierdos!" I think they good have been alot more tasteful in that sentence. Afterall I am not a silly transvestite, maybe a funny guy in a dress. I know to some it may be the same, It just doesn't sound as bad to me. And "Buncha freakin' wierdos" now that is just rude. Sorry, Raychel, but that me saying that. You know, tongue in cheek? Hyperbole? Sarcasm? Facetiousness?

Raychel
12-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Oh:eek: See well that is a totally diferent story. If it was you that said it and not the radio station. It takes a totally different meaning when said jokingly between friends. So i guess that I blasted the radio station a little harder than I should have. Oh well it will do them good to get a piece of my mind anyway.

Sorry I took it the wrong way. :(

:IAG: :Peace2:

Lisa Golightly
12-08-2005, 08:43 AM
I take the view that any prime time coverage whether 'mocking' or 'serious' is a productive thing. This community has been in the closet for far too long, and if the mainstream want to make the occasional joke at our expense then big deal, all it means is they are now aware of our presence as is the wider society and that has to be a good thing.

Charlene Marie
12-08-2005, 09:07 PM
My Goodness, so " MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING '.

Alison Michelle
12-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Hay, this stuff really works. I am no longer embarrassed to bend over in public in a mini skirt without panties on. I can't stand to look at my bum in the mirror without this product!!! :lol2:

Huggs,

Alison