PDA

View Full Version : Clothing outfit choices.

Brenda Freeman
12-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I was wondering how others find outfits they love to wear.
I occasionally visit stores and find something nice. I do see wonderful outfits on ladies at work and sometimes out and about that inspire me! Guess it helps having the outfit modeled I see my self in it and sometimes find similar things shopping. I like my wifes style too and have bought some similar looks. There are so many options in womens clothing and casual to formal looks. Where do you get your ideas, inspiration and looks you love!

Beverley Sims
12-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Looking at women's styles on the street and in the malls.

~Joanne~
12-16-2012, 01:15 PM
It's funny, while the best dressed women out in the world inspire me, magazines, models, and TV does not. I usually am just browsing the ranks a various stores and will come across something that I say "I might look good in that" or "oh I have to have that" and that is how my choices are made :)

Lady Catherine
12-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I like to people (OK. I really mean girl.) watch. I can't tell you how many times I see something on a woman and wish I could pull off that look knowing full well I'll NEVER have the body to do so.

I like to just wander through the stores looking at the sales racks. (On a budget these days with this economy.) I go once a week if I can and the sales people are starting to recognize me as a regular when I go. I just got a real nice black skirt yesterday as a matter of fact. $6.99 marked down from $39.99. goes with a lot I already have. But I need to get more tops. I have a hard time picking out tops for some reason.

Sophistic8d_grl
12-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Decisions, decisions...

Like sooo many others here, I am an avid girl-watcher! I do recognize that there are some looks my natural physique simply cannot pull off. Still, with some practice (& smoke & mirrors & foundations) I can clean up fairly well.

I do look & subscribe to magazines, but use what I find there mostly for new makeup/skin care products. I do not tend to cater to the clothing/accessory brands promoted...rather I enjoy seeking out the same look for far less money (it's part of the process that I enjoy most)! I liken it to touring model homes for ideas & inspiration on decor, then visiting an outlet or discount store for the same artwork, furniture & accent pieces. I also save images of models whose poses I like in a file for a basis when I take my own photographs.

On the computer, when I come across a girl (almost invariably GG) whose style I like, I also save it for reference later. There are inifinte YouTube videos about "what-to-wear" & "outfit-of-the-day" or "OOTD". Unfortunately, the majority of these "fashionistas" I find shallow, crass and annoying. Occasionally, there will be a gal whose persona I admire as much as her physique and style, and that to me is worth wading through the rest.

PretzelGirl
12-16-2012, 02:35 PM
If you struggle with putting together your own look, the best way I found is to go right to the store ads and their mannequins. If you like what you see, grab the same items off the rack and try them on. This worked for me as a beginner and I found it helped start developing my own tastes in outfits.

mikiSJ
12-16-2012, 03:33 PM
I tend to dress in a conservative business to evening manner. I get a lot of ideas watching women characters in shows like "Good Wife", "Suits"...

Joanie_Shakti
12-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Back in the day (I always feel like the Old Man on "Pawn Stars" when I use that phrase :laughing:), It was exclusively the JC Penney catalog. I've always liked their stuff better than Sears. Nowadays, it's online surfing through the clothing vendor sites. My favorite dresses are wrap and shirtdresses, so that's the majority of what catches my eye. I like skirts too, but don't have as many as I don't see as many that I like compared to dresses.

Sometimes I'll see a woman that I'd like to emulate, so I'll try to match her outfit. Recently, I saw a video with an enthusiastic woman in a cute yellow dress. I finally found a similar one, which arrived last Wednesday. Though I like satin and silk more, I like the cotton material. Only slight disappointment was the length was a little longer than I like, which ranges just above to just below the knee. This one was mid-calf. I would rather see the outfit on a model so I can judge it better. Amazon only showed a picture of the dress. But it was close enough to what I was looking for that I took a chance and despite the length, I really like it.

Buying in stores is a bit harder as I haven't had the nerve to try anything on yet. So unless I see something that I've been looking for, it's more chancy. I've recently given several dresses away to Goodwill and Salvation Army that I just didn't like on me once I was able to see them at home. Mail order, I will return them, but I only shop in stores when I'm out of town which makes returns harder, if not impossible.

The problem with shopping online is that I see so much stuff that I want. I'm often relieved when I see that something I like doesn't come in my size.

vikki2020
12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Try to "find" woman with a simular body as yours. Height,weight, shoulders,etc. If you think something looks good on that woman, then you should try to copy that style. If I find a brand that fits particularly well, then I'll go to that as a source also. The adds in the Sunday paper are like a road map, lol!

5150 Girl
12-16-2012, 06:02 PM
I just wear waht I like. OFten stuff out of my catalog

stephNE
12-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Most of my inspiration comes from other ladies that I know. It's fun to see an "outfit" that I like and then try to find those items. Steph.

Sometimes Steffi
12-16-2012, 06:12 PM
It's funny, while the best dressed women out in the world inspire me, magazines, models, and TV does not. I usually am just browsing the ranks a various stores and will come across something that I say "I might look good in that" or "oh I have to have that" and that is how my choices are made :)

I also just like to browse the racks, and it's usually the sales rack at that, because this girls is on a budget.

But lately, my wife has invited me to go shopping with her (for her), and I've picked out things for her to try on and commented on things that she picked out. If I pick out something that she dismisses immediately, I ask her why (to improve my picking algorithm). Sometimes the color is too brown, too green or too something. Sometimes the material is too fussy (i.e., difficult to wash). Sometimes the neck is too low, V-neck or cowl neck.

xdressed
12-16-2012, 06:36 PM
I think a lot of my friends and occasionally a band I like have influenced my dress style, although I think they've influenced the way I do my make-up a lot more. Often I'll just be walking past a shop and notice something I'd really love to have, rarely do I get the chance to get it though.

Jessica Who
12-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Hi Brenda,

I used to have a lot of problems with choosing clothes, but now I draw inspiration from fashion mags, mannequins in stores, and most importantly: my wife.

I try to get trendy / stylish clothes but it requires constant effort :)

Deborah J.
12-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Like a lot of you gals, I'm an avid girl watcher. Malls, stores, etc. Also some of the TV shows have well dressed GG's. I tend to like a lot of the retro styles of the 30's thru the 50,s when women just looked more feminine and less ****ty. Being older now I dress more conservatively. No more mini skirts and platform shoes. (What was I thinking back then anyway.):eek:

AllieSF
12-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Since I started late in life with all this and almost can do and buy what I want, I just look and buy whatever I like. I have never bought an outfit off of a mannequin because I buy almost everything from thrift stores. Fortunately, with the varied items that I have, I can have fun putting together interesting outfits. Unfortunately, having so many options also means the picking out and creating that perfect outfit takes so much longer and add to that the problem diminishing closet space to keep everything in one place. I am not complaining because I have some wonderful clothes and accessories.

I try to emulate styles that I like on women from the stylish to the somewhat different and maybe stylish too. Right now I am starting to explore a more vintage look modernized to today.

JessicaMN
12-16-2012, 07:23 PM
I dont go into stores very often, so most of my inspiration comes from people i see during the day, the shows i watch on tv, websites i shop at, Pinterest (love this site), and a little "female intuition".

JanM38
12-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I try to dress as a woman the same way I dress as a man....if that makes sense. I'm a jeans and birkenstocks and old sweater/hoodie guy, and i go for denim skirts/capris/jeans and (big surprise) sweaters, long sleeve Ts or hoodies en femme. Thrift shops are great because I like my clothes well broken in....i love looking at you gals who get dolled up, but it's just not a look for me.

RenneB
12-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I'll tell you where not to go for 'inspiration' is that wallyworld place. Heck, if I wanted to know what NOT to wear, that's the place. 90% of the customers are in flip flops (yes it's 40 degrees out) and sweat suits. The other 10% are in jeans and sneakers... no wonder my heels and skirt tend to draw attention...

Since comeing from a big city to the farm belt, my wardrobe has got to take a 180 as in the past two months I've only seen one GG in a skirt and heels. So watching the mall and stores is out for me. I like the idea of picking up ideas from TV and the 'net... don't watch antique road show though... LOL.

So since I'm in the blending mode, I'm in the market for more jeans and tops.... let's hope I can still wear my heels...

Renne.....

FaithGrace
12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I pretty much just buy what I like and think looks good. Unfortunately, at first I made quite a few mistakes by picking out stuff that only a 14 yr old girl would wear.

Lately, I've been asking the advice of the sales ladies on their opinion of what kind of style they think would look good on my figure. Not only have they been more than happy to help, they kind of get a kick out of helping out a crossdresser look 'pretty'. I've made a few friends this way too. A couple of them I have given my phone number to and they will call me when they have a sale coming up or when something gets marked down that they know I'd like.

Leah Lynn
12-16-2012, 08:27 PM
I try to dress to blend in (somewhat, at least), but with a bit of taste. Went to the company Christmas party last night, and most women were in jeans, with a mix of t shirts, sweaters or hoodies. Only one was wearing a skirt. It did seem that wives of management wore slacks; as they degressed down the pay scale the jeans got more worn. I like to look at catalogs and on line to see what is popular for the season, but often head to the thrift shops to look for something affordable.

noeleena
12-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Hi,

I have a good eye for clothes that suit Jos & i would get them, most times allso to gether, For my self Jos would say yes or no , i am quite concervitve, in many ways , so most are long skirts, even day wear is much the same. though i do wear shorts, & tee's plus sunhats,

My real like or passion , what really is me in my style is of cause my Renaissance garb thats where i am at home a mind set if you like or just im more comfortable more at peace, no comparison there is a fashon just not a competitve one & its what ever is right for you.

...noeleena...

linda allen
12-17-2012, 07:37 AM
"Where do you get your ideas, inspiration and looks you love! "

From the clearance racks at local department stores! I see something, hold it up, and ask my wife "Is this me?" She will say "It could be." or "I don't think so." (meaning "no way".)

linda allen
12-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Buying in stores is a bit harder as I haven't had the nerve to try anything on yet. So unless I see something that I've been looking for, it's more chancy. I've recently given several dresses away to Goodwill and Salvation Army that I just didn't like on me once I was able to see them at home. Mail order, I will return them, but I only shop in stores when I'm out of town which makes returns harder, if not impossible..

If you buy from the national chain stores you can return unwanted items to any branch, not just the one where you purchased them.

Cheryl T
12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
SHOPPING!! It's the best way in my book. I get to look at the styles presented in the displays and then sit at the food court and watch all the GG's go by and study what they are wearing. Gives me a first hand look at what does and does not work for someone my age, height and such.

BillieAnneJean
12-17-2012, 02:03 PM
One thing for sure..... We get all the chices. Fem or Guy. Unfortunately the guy choices are very dull. I love the girl choices. I even love looking at the varieties in the stores. Isn't this fun!

LauraBird
12-17-2012, 03:01 PM
I am horrible at picking stuff up on a shelf or off a rack and knowing what it'll look like on me, so all of my inspiration comes from people watching. I work in downtown Chicago so there is no shortage of ideas. My wife does pretty much all of my shopping - I generally do my best to describe what I liked, and she gets out and finds the pieces. She loves Goodwill and has made dozens of scores there for me. I have learned that some of the styles I like simply don't work on me but I'm getting better...

BLUE ORCHID
12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Hi Brenda, I love to browse the racks after 65 years of dressing I have a pretty good
idea of what's going to look great and if it don't it goes back tomorrow.

LadyPilot
12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi Brenda, I enjoy going to the deparment stores and browsing. I have too many dresses that it is hard to justify another dress but that doesn't stop me from looking. My wife usually finds something to at least try on. I too look at what women are wearing as a sample of things to come.