PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic or cultural clothes

Sometimes Steffi
12-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I was cruising the mall today and ran across an Indian clothing store, as in the country, not Native American.

Does anyone dress in ethnic or cultural clothing, say traditional Chinese, Indian or old-style European?

I have some classic Chinese dresses, but I've never had much of an opportunity to wear them.

ArleneRaquel
12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I owned and wore a Beverly Johnson Afro wig for a few years, but it was not my primary style. That's the closes that I've come to wearing anything ethnic.

AllieSF
12-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I haven't yet, but maybe some day. I like surfing through the clothing ads on Craigslist. Occasionally, I have seen some interesting Indian dresses that I would like to see in person. I also see some vintage clothing and have bought a couple of pieces, but not worn them yet. I just bought some vintage Florsheim women's all leather dress shoes, almost like low booty heels. They are probably 60 - 70 years old. I paid an almost new shoe price for them because they are the best fitting shoes I have ever had. I have narrow feet for a man and these shoes fit on the sides, heels and even the the arches. I just took them to be touched up at the local shoe repair shop.

Diane Smith
12-16-2012, 06:49 PM
I am fascinated by Indian formal dress and am anxious for an opportunity to show off in a saree. But knowing nothing about how these garments are supposed to be fitted and worn -- it looks really complicated to me -- I would want to have an experienced native guide to help me buy and get into one, at least the first time. I haven't found anyone to do that yet, and so far I've been too lazy to take a trip to Chicago or another city with a selection of Indian ethnic stores where I might find the assistance I'd need. I did worry at one time whether my trying a distinctly ethnic outfit would be seen as blasphemous or disrespectful, but a number of Indian women I talked to reassured me that they would regard it as just a fun experience, as they do when they dress up, and would be glad to help me achieve an authentic look. Hey, I already wear the nose ring ...

- Diane

Slipstream
12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Dirndls are hot!

AllieSF
12-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Diane, I have noticed in my Craiglist wanderings that some of the ethnic clothing, Indian, Afghanistan, etc. are usually sold by people from those cultures, from home and that they are local. You may have a problem in small town central Illinois, but nearer larger population centers, I would guess that you could ask the seller to help you pic out what might work for you and also show you how to wear and care for that ethnic clothing. Now, you may have to find one that will assist a CD or trans gender person, but I do think that it is a real possibility that they would help and well worth the effort. If I ever find something I like, I will do just that.

flatlander_48
12-16-2012, 08:50 PM
I was cruising the mall today and ran across an Indian clothing store, as in the country, not Native American.

Does anyone dress in ethnic or cultural clothing, say traditional Chinese, Indian or old-style European?

I have some classic Chinese dresses, but I've never had much of an opportunity to wear them.

A Qi Pao? I'd love to have one, but I need to lose a few pounds so it would look right...

DeeInGeorgia
12-16-2012, 09:14 PM
I have always been interested in South American (Amazonian indigenous tribes) ethnic clothing, or lack thereof, but my figure is not girlish enough and public nudity laws would not permit.

Just kidding.

Dee

"Mary"
12-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I have two dirdls and have posted pics in one. I'd really like ethnic dresses and would like to get Polish, Czech, and Russian dress outfits.

noeleena
12-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Hi,

Yes I do. not as though no one knows ,

I desgn make & sew my own clothes, the years are , 1400 to 1700 & as a member of the S C A Renaissance we have any where between 200 - 250 People as members & meet many times during the year, Jan 25 -Feb 3 a lovely week to gether,

I have made so far 7 different outfits, & do wear them in public & travel in them & over sea's as well. they are striking because of the time / year's they represent,

The other time is 1900 to 1914 Edwardian, again make all my clothes for that Bonnets cluch bags or what ever i need, 9 outfits so far,, & in the public eye as well & we are well known as a group plus by my self,

The other one is our Scottish soc, though not made clothes for that only one outfit, for our Edwardian group for next year in march for our Scottish weekend . simple cream skirt cream blouse a tartin sash & bonnet or glengarry or similer,with a tartin band & tassel on top.

Just a few things though iv not got as many as i would have liked to have had made, still ill get there,

My other will be from our Prussian , ( German ) background so ill be makeing those clothes with that in mind, 1700 to 1800 though does go back further, The thing is i can wear them,

...noeleena...

Kate Simmons
12-17-2012, 06:32 AM
I prefer something akin to Atlantean as that's where my roots are on this plane. Mostly long gowns or robes. :)

Joanne f
12-17-2012, 07:01 AM
I must admit that the Indian type of clothing does have a certain draw towards it but I often wonder if someone from that part of the world would find it offensive for someone not from that part of the would to wear it.

Frédérique
12-17-2012, 07:53 AM

I’d wear a Finnish girl’s costume if I had one, believe me! Here in Lindsborg. KS, otherwise known as “Little Sweden,” you get to see late 19th century Swedish costumes quite often – the dress with the apron look, flat shoes, flowers in the hair, etc. Thanks to a litany of historical conflicts, a Finnish person cannot realistically be expected to wear Swedish anything, ditto any Russian costume…

I have a few articles of “sweet” Lolita clothing, an off-shoot of my interest in Gothic Lolita, kind of an approximation of Victorian style, and I’ve been known to wear an ultra-feminine Lolita-type outfit on occasion. I wish to apologize to Smile, who insists on evidentiary photos for every written expression of CD experience, but this is a very personal (and private) passion of mine. I’m not here to show myself off…
:battingeyelashes:

Jana
12-17-2012, 08:08 AM
In addition to your list, there are many other ethnic groups that have beautiful clothing. Unfortunately, none are for my body type. After all, a 6'1" CDer xdressed in a Chinese dress, Indian sari, Japanese kimono, or other, would stick out more than a billion sore thumbs. Certainly not my cup of tea... :heehee:

linda allen
12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I must admit that the Indian type of clothing does have a certain draw towards it but I often wonder if someone from that part of the world would find it offensive for someone not from that part of the would to wear it.

And I sometimes wonder if women find it offensive that crossdressers wear their type of clothes.

But to answer the original question - No, I have never had the desire to wear anything other than what women from my culture (USA) wear.

I Am Paula
12-17-2012, 12:04 PM
A few weeks ago i visited a mall that I haven't be to in 20 years. It's now almost all Indian. A few stores were showing what appeared to be wedding gowns, but in really wild colors. They were really beautiful, so I finally asked about them. Modern Indian girls in Canada are moving away from the wedding sari, to a more western gown, but in traditional wedding colors. We chatted for a few minutes, as she showed me gowns. Then she asked if I wanted to try one on. I declined, my wife was looking bored, and I certainly wasn't shopping for one. I thanked her for the offer, and her kindness, and left. What a nice (and beautiful SA)-Celeste

linda allen
12-17-2012, 04:53 PM
You realize of course, that for an Indian, "American clothes" are "ethnic clothing"! :D

Sometimes Steffi
12-18-2012, 09:08 PM
I forgot all about it, but the last time I went to Amanda's for a photo session, I wore what she said was an Indian wedding dress. It was not a sari. It looked more like an American wedding dress but in traditional Indian colors, in this case kind of a lime green.

I'd love to try a traditional Indian dress, but the lasr store I dared to go into was very expensive, like $200. I guess that' not really very expensive, but it is for me. I would be uncomfortable wasting someone's time if I had no intention to buy.

AngelaKelly<3
12-18-2012, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't say they are "ethnic clothing" more "traditional dress", but that's besides the point.

Being Scottish, you'd think I'd like to try the traditional dress from here; but the womans' traditional clothing isn't feminine enough tbh lol. It's more practical "keep the cold out" stuff, with a lot of wools and heavy fabrics...something a little more of a "modern twist" while keeping the traditional feel would be nice (like the picture below)

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/images/Section/medium/42.png

I've always loved the wonderful and beautiful colours of the Indian Sari but :)

Ceri Anne
12-18-2012, 10:26 PM
I am planning on getting a nice oriental dress next time I'm in China Town in NYC. I love the look of Saris, and would love to try that sometime. Does a short kilt (female version) in my ancestorial tartan count?

I Am Paula
12-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Afew years back i was volunteering withan amateur theater group. The costume designer was a hilarious and very gay guy whose name escapes me. He showed up for a cast party in full highland regalia, with the exception of fishnets and heels. He looked great!-Celeste

Cheryl T
12-19-2012, 05:35 AM
My wife works in a place with a large Indian workforce and one of the ladies has given her some traditional clothing upon returning from India. We wore them one Halloween and while it was fun for that time I wouldn't do it as a regular thing. I'm not into all the wrapping and such, it took far too long to dress and look presentable.

Other than that I've never donned any ethnic style clothing. However I do love the Mandarin style Chinese dresses and would love to own one, but in silk they are just too expensive.

Patti Remick
12-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Im not sure this applies here but when I was young I remember seeing a picture of an Evzone in a childrens encyclopedia. Now I know those men are not like us but wow did I like those uniforms!

Stephanie47
12-19-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't have any ethnic attire. However, given my heritage, I am drawn to the very pretty ethnic German Oktoberfest outfits. It would be nice to mix Oktoberfest with Halloween for a costume party.

dutch-anita
12-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Dirndls are hot!

yes they are I am in love with dirndl dresses

lynnef
12-19-2012, 09:28 PM
I really like the Chinese dresses, like others I need to lose a few (many) lbs for them to fit right :/ the sarees are actually pretty comfortable in warm weather ;) (the bare midriff really helps ) I also like the Korean hanbok, but they're so expensive :(

docrobbysherry
12-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Personally? I think wearing ethnic clothing here mite be offensive to some. So, I try to avoid that at ALL COSTS!

And, u should too, Kimosabi!

LaraPeterson
12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
If 70's minis can be considered cultural, then guilty. I wear my dresses way too short most of the time but, hey, girls will be girls. I am, BTW, 1/2 Sioux Indian, Lakota to be specific. If I had a reason, I'd have no qualms wearing traditional dress.

DameErrant
12-19-2012, 11:01 PM
My wife works in a place with a large Indian workforce and one of the ladies has given her some traditional clothing upon returning from India. We wore them one Halloween and while it was fun for that time I wouldn't do it as a regular thing. I'm not into all the wrapping and such, it took far too long to dress and look presentable.

Other than that I've never donned any ethnic style clothing. However I do love the Mandarin style Chinese dresses and would love to own one, but in silk they are just too expensive.

I have gotten more than a few items of Chinese women's clothing on Ebay, where they are priced more reasonably than you might think. Also, at www.silk4you.com you can find Chinese dresses for about $45.00 on average. They do run small; the measurements on the size chart are for the actual clothes, not the wearer. I usually buy about two sizes larger to guarantee a proper fit. But I have been very happy with all my purchases. Buying wigs, shoes or slippers and jewelry to match is another matter.

Ebay also has some simply gorgeous Chinese Hanfu Dance gowns, (dress is such an inadequate word to describe them, they are like something Lucy Liu would have worn in "The Man with the Iron Fists.") Not Cheap, about $130.00 plus S&H, but worth saving up for. The dealer is honestdragonchina. Be prepared to take lots of measurements for perfect fitting.

AngelaKelly<3
12-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Does a short kilt (female version) in my ancestorial tartan count?

Not really tbh lol they've been used as "modern day" clothes too much lol; plus "Ancestral Tartan" was invented by kilt makers, the clans never used specific tartans to tell each other apart.

KateSpade83
12-19-2012, 11:11 PM
I got 3 nice chinese dresses from ebay. I biked down Devon street in Chicago which is the "indian" part of town and sometimes the store windows showcase very beautiful saris or wedding saris. I'm too embarresed to go their in drag and would have to go dressed and i'm my most very passable look, to shop as a woman. They might think it odd that a Filipino would want a sari.