PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking my Dad's sensibilities, just a bit

MarcyRex
12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Background: Routine and in-da-box thinking are my Dad's MO. Conservative but not religous. Takes pains to avoid embarrassment or risky( and risque') behavior.

Family and I were nearby the haunts of my childhood under tight schedule/limited mobility (athletic competition for daughter) and invited him to hang with us for a couple of hours. Well, that morning everyone squeezed in a bit of xmas shopping local and among other things, I purchased inexpensive stocking stuffer earrings from Claire. Later that afternoon he surprised all of us and accepted. I thought I could kill a couple of birds with one stone and decided to wear a set of earrings. The sparkly green xmas tree earrings. Figured I'd embarrass kids/wife and most certainly my father, who just might sit on opposite side feigning no relation. At the very least it would act as an icebreaker for conversations.
The wife (she knows and supports) just rolled her eyes, the kids (they know/suspect but DADT) loved it, as did the other team parents and teammates. Some disbelief, but no mockery or negative responses. My dad, surprisingly, held his tongue (at least until the last 10 minutes) and enjoyed hanging with us. He understood I was trying to press his buttons, as I do have a history of mortifying him. ;-) [My favorite was entering a wig shop but that is another story.]
Overall: I was presenting as a confident male, drab except for earrings. People noticed (hell, I am bald) how could they not, some commentary and the only disbelief were from some of my daughter's teammates who questioned whether these were clip-ons or really really wearing these. They were not shy about checking. I know there will be an endofseason party slideshow with evidence of my Holiday Spirit. It is all good.

And no, I don't have pics. I treated it as no big deal so neither did anyone else.

bobbimo
12-20-2012, 10:32 AM
your very bad Marcy... loved it.
Merry Christmas
bobbi

Beverley Sims
12-20-2012, 01:43 PM
For mine a subtle way of gaining acceptance and seeing what might be, "one day".