12-21-2012, 12:07 AM
practicing in high heels on a treadmill
i dont exactly glide wearing heels .. )
where can u really walk and practice?
eureka!!
treadmill in 3" heels ... starting very slowly
10 minutes @ .5mph
20 minutes @ 1mph
a long, long way from gliding but i can see it in the future if i put in enough miles
i also thought a good way to break in new shoes
foolish ... hhaha .. calves and feet are still screamin
try it again tomorrow...

Ann Louise
12-21-2012, 12:21 AM
This is one of those things that I'd never have thought of but is such a Good Idea that I can't believe it! Grats Chrismy - you get my "Thinking Outside Of The Box Award!" Smiling, Elfin

AmyGaleRT
12-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I'd do that, but I'd probably get some funny looks from the other people at the apartment complex fitness center. :heehee:

- Amy

Diane Smith
12-21-2012, 03:07 AM
I've thought about this, but my concern is that heels might be hard on the belt of the treadmill itself and lead to premature failure of the machine. I wouldn't recommend really skinny spiky heels for that reason.

- Diane

lauren_m
12-21-2012, 03:18 AM
I laughed when I read the title -- not in a mocking way at all, more like a "ha, gotta give her credit for that one!" chuckle

Deedee Skyblue
12-21-2012, 06:52 AM
my first thought was that I would break out my treadmill and try it - but then I realized that the heels I am practicing in would destroy my treadmill! If you are wearing heels with a small heel, that heel produces incredible pressure on whatever is underneath it, far more than ANY area under your foot if you are in flats or barefoot. A 4" stiletto heel would punch right through the tread any time I happened to put weight on it. It sounds as if the heels you are wearing are broad enough that this hasn't happened yet, but just be aware - the smaller the contact area of the heel, the more likely you are to step on the tread and punch right through it, with potentially very painful consequences.

I might try this in my wedge sneakers, though. Thanks for the thought!

Courtney A Anderson
12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
I've been doing this for years, great way to break in new shoes, and after a while you can walk around in high heels all day long without your feet or legs hurting. I walk 30-40 minutes a night in 3" spiked heels for the last 3 years and the tread show no ware at all. It's also a great way to stay in shape.

bridget thronton
12-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Well done- much braver than me

Beverley Sims
12-21-2012, 11:41 AM
The idea is sound but the belt on the treadmill may present problems.
Like wearing high heels on the lawn and in an aircraft.

StarrOfDelite
12-21-2012, 12:41 PM
my first thought was that I would break out my treadmill and try it - but then I realized that the heels I am practicing in would destroy my treadmill! If you are wearing heels with a small heel, that heel produces incredible pressure on whatever is underneath it, far more than ANY area under your foot if you are in flats or barefoot. A 4" stiletto heel would punch right through the tread any time I happened to put weight on it. It sounds as if the heels you are wearing are broad enough that this hasn't happened yet, but just be aware - the smaller the contact area of the heel, the more likely you are to step on the tread and punch right through it, with potentially very painful consequences.

I might try this in my wedge sneakers, though. Thanks for the thought!

Agree that this could be potentially dangerous and painful with a motorized treadmill. If the heel goes through the treadmill belt and you lose the ability to stop it you could be pitched off and have your ankle or knee severely wrenched.

Angela Campbell
12-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I would probably break my neck! I hope you don't!

suchacutie
12-21-2012, 02:11 PM
For me the revelation about heels was understanding that the whole leg moves at once, very much unlike the way we walk as males. Without that change, my calves hurt like crazy.

Practice time for me was from the time I got out of bed til the time I got dressed (coffee, shave, and shower in between....took them off before the shower, of course). That got me an hour a day (still does as it strengthens my back) and I didn't have to worry about breaking my ankle falling off the treadmill! :)

Ms. Laura
12-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Be carefule there! The treadmill is an excellent place to practice your feminine walk. Swing those hips in flat shoes, hold up your head and back.

Deedee Skyblue
12-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Practice time for me was from the time I got out of bed til the time I got dressed (coffee, shave, and shower in between....took them off before the shower, of course). That got me an hour a day (still does as it strengthens my back) and I didn't have to worry about breaking my ankle falling off the treadmill! :)

I do that too. Highest heels and walk around in them as I get ready for work.

LaraPeterson
12-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Good advice Laura, learning to overcome the male walk is best done in flats or very low heels to get down the female movements; then graduate to the higher heels. I've said it time and again, our leg muscles, especially our "hamstrings" and adductors are ingrained with maleness; that takes a lot of effort and practice to overcome; stretch, stretch, stretch

Michaela42
12-21-2012, 07:07 PM
I've been doing this for years, great way to break in new shoes, and after a while you can walk around in high heels all day long without your feet or legs hurting. I walk 30-40 minutes a night in 3" spiked heels for the last 3 years and the tread show no ware at all. It's also a great way to stay in shape.

I have been thinking of trying this for a while but was always worried about wearing out the belt due to the heels. Good to hear that it is not too bad for them.

CindyT
12-22-2012, 04:35 AM
I just bought a treadmill, have to try this! A great way to practice "The Walk"! I really don't have any good high heels, maybe it is time??? :)