PDA

View Full Version : Finally in a good place with my wife re: my CDing - best Christmas present EVER!

Leslie Langford
12-21-2012, 12:18 PM
As most of you who have been reading my posts know, I have been in a difficult DADT relationship with my wife since I first came out to her not long after we got married, and going on 40 years now (we were married young - in our early 20's).

And when I say "DADT", I mean that it was rather one-sided. I tried to honor my side of the bargain and keep "Leslie" out of her face, yet she often attempted to use guilt and manipulation to get me to stop crosssdressing - or at to least scale back. And given that I did not reveal this side of me to her before we got married (different times, different place in our lives, I thought that marriage would "cure" me - NOT!), my wife also often held this against me as a way of keeping me on the defensive. But because I do own "a pair" despite my feminine inclinations and since she can be equally headstrong, we often butted heads over this, and it became a case of the irresistible force meeting the immovable object.

Without going into details, we've gone through some significant changes in our lives in recent years (some for the better, some for the worse) and they have made us appreciate each other more than we maybe ever did in the past. My wife also finally understood that my crossdressing was a part of me that would never go away, while at the same time also recognizing what I had been saying all along - namely that despite my "Leslie" side, I am still the man she married underneath it all, and have no interest in transitioning. What also helped here was the explosion in information available through the media regarding transgenderism over the last several years - most of it positive, supportive, and stripping away a good number of the myths, stereotypes, and negative associations that have dogged members of our community for far too long.

Whatever it was - it worked, and our relationship is 200% better now. I am now at a point where I can openly discuss upcoming plans for my occasional excursions in public as "Leslie", she no longer freaks out over this, and we are able to communicate openly and supportively about it. In fact, the last time I went out (earlier this week), she actually gave me a big hug after an initial somewhat cool response to my announcement, and followed that up by giving me a loving kiss before going off to work on the actual morning of my planned "Leslie day" as we have come to call it. Not just that, but she also wished me well, along with the iconic "Hill Street Blues" police sergeant's warning of (following the daily briefings): "...and remember - be careful out there!...).

To say that you could have knocked me over with a feather when this happened would be an understatement. But my wife simply explained it away by saying that she was exhausted by the years of fighting and that she appreciated all of the efforts that I had made lately to work on our relationship, including how I had gone out of my way to make her feel special. She also acknowledged that life is short, we both deserve some happiness, and if that's what it takes to make me a more contented, less frustrated, and less testy husband, then so be it.

As I said in the title to this post, this has got to be the best Christmas present ever for the both of us, and it has drawn us closer together than I would ever have imagined possible given our past behaviors. Total honesty now, total transparency, and we both feel that a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders.

For my part, I now love my wife more than ever for doing this for me, and have made it my mission to be far more attentive to her needs than I might have been inclined to be before - even if this means a major departure from the way I have often unwittingly conducted myself in the past. Granted, this breakthrough was a long time in coming (almost 40 years), but some things are truly worth waiting for, and we are both in a far better place now with our marriage than we have been for years.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe it can provide some inspiration for other members of this forum who are in similar DADT relationships, but haven't achieved the same breakthrough yet. There is light at the end of the tunnel - I just hope it doesn't take you as long to reach it as I did. ;)

UNDERDRESSER
12-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Almost made me cry.... congratulations to both of you!

TGMarla
12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the uplifting update, Leslie. I have committed myself to having a heart to heart talk with my wife as well. I've written down all that I plan to say to her in order to keep my thoughts clear and organized. I think it will go well, but then, with these things one can never know until it's done. I wish you well. I hope to have this talk with her as soon as tonight, but certainly before Christmas. It's what I want for Christmas - her acceptance of me.

I feel really good for you. Perhaps it is a sign that it is my time as well.

mikiSJ
12-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Great story Leslie. It gives a lot of insight into how marriages endure. I am glad your marriage is heading in the best direction.

My wife has known, before we married, that I CDed. At the time I made the promise I would keep it private and in the house. That was 37 years ago.

Without any job pressures (I was humbly "retired" last May) I wanted Miki to be more free, to at least join a couple of the local groups in the Bay Area. Oops!

Where I thought my wife was at least tolerant of my dressing, I totally misread her need for me to be "in the closet". To make a long story shorter, we nearly divorced last week. While we have drawn a truce, my need to dress and be accepted by other "girls" and her need to not be embarrassed have not been resolved. We will probably seek marriage counseling in January.

I can only hope to be as lucky as you and your wife!

kimdl93
12-21-2012, 03:19 PM
That's so tremendous. I'm happy as can be for both of you. Paul McCartney was right...'the love you take IS equal to the love you make.....'

stephNE
12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi Leslie, That is wonderful. I am very happy and hope that for the new year things just keep on getting better! Steph.

gennee
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
A lovely post, Leslie. I'm sure some folks were encouraged by it.

:thumbup:

ClosetED
12-21-2012, 03:38 PM
That is a wonderful position to be in. I am still at the immovable object and force. I wish my wife would be able to talk to your wife and learn what helped overcome the fears.

Danielle_cder
12-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Thank you. Your post is great inspiration for so so many. There is a light at the end of all tunnels.

Paula T
12-21-2012, 04:42 PM
A wonderful story for sure

Barbara Ella
12-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Leslie, this is an inspirational story and I am so glad for you and your wife. I have hope for my relationship, and would love for her to be able to initiate discourse. If it takes nearly 40 years, i may be out of luck though. married 42 years, dressing only for the past 15 months, and she has known for a year.

Steady wins the race. Wishing you both the Merriest Christmas you could hope for.

Barbara

SAMANN
12-21-2012, 05:04 PM
You are so lucky that she has finally accepted you to a point. I opened up to my wife 17 years ago and to say it did not go well is an understatement. I do have hope as I wear panty hose almost daily and shave my legs she does accept some of it to a degree. I wear the hose for work as I am on my feet all day and the hose help my legs and back. when I started shaving I pointed out to here that wearing the hose with hairy legs was like walking around all day with some one plucking your leg hair and not getting it out. (ouch)

I have started to tell a select number of people my counselor primarily and a friend from work who is a lesbian she is more accepting of this than any one I know. As I am a procedure nurse I change in a locker room with other men (6 and it could be better called a closet we are the only males in a 50 strong department) I don't hide the hose and no one has said a word to me about it. I am slowly working up the courage to talk to my wife and am hopeful for a better outcome than last time. your situation and story gives me hope.

Samantha

Lorileah
12-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Yay Leslie! The sad part is the loss of all the years and things that you may have shared in that time. But there is the FUTURE!

Shadeauxmarie
12-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Cry I did, hmmmmm.

Bree Wagner
12-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Great news Leslie, thanks so much for sharing it. It's just another great example of what time, and a lot of love, can do for a couple.

Best wishes for continued success together.

-Bree

Sara Jessica
12-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Yay Leslie, I'm so very happy for you!!! :)

It sucks that sometimes it takes "life's too short..." to come to certain conclusions. At least this one worked in your favor. I often worry about the opposite in my situation, that "life's too short..." could lead her to bolt.

Paula_56
12-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Leslie

I read your post over a few times, your situation parallels mine. The DADT part any way, as for the break thru, well maybe, things are a bit more open between us, I don't no what more I can do, as you indicate, my cross dressing isn't going away, can't we both have a little happiness?

I started gong to a therapist and she asks questions about my cding now, and seems to be understanding more and more. All the time I've been married I always wondered what I wanted in relation to my cding, it is exactly what you have now thats what I want.

We may be getting close

thanks sister
Paula

Claire Cook
12-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Leslie,

I'll add my "Thanks so much for sharing this" to everyone else's. We are so happy that you and your wife have reached this point. Maybe our relationships are like fine wine -- they take years to develop and mature. I know it has taken more than 40 years for Sue and me to get where we are, and believe me, our relationship gets better and better. Maybe it takes time for our wives and SO's to deal with all of the complex questions we pose to them. I like Lorileah's comment that reminds me of the commercial Orson Welles did for (I think) Paul Masson: "We sell no wine before its time". Savor it through long maturity, and don't look back on what it was like before its time.

Beverley Sims
12-22-2012, 11:59 AM
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a happier life together.
May it last forever.

JamieG
12-22-2012, 08:11 PM
This is so wonderful. It really proves that if two people truly love each other, they can work through the crossdressing, even if it might take a while.

Julie Gaum
12-22-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm happy for you, Leslie, and feel certain life will continue to improve between you and your mate; but some of the other posts to this
thread breaks my heart. We seem to have a long way to go correcting misconceptions and myths. More communication is obviously the answer but easier said than done. The SO being receptive, i.e., an open mind (or even opening slightly) is necessary before information can be offered and that is possible as long as there is still love in the marriage or other motives to want to keep the marriage intact. The next hurdle is to be ready with all the true stories, articles, books and Internet sources you can assemble to back your position that you are still the same man she knew. Of course all this data should not be dumped but fed with a teaspoon while her mind begins to absorb a whole new world. In the business world I learned a long time ago that preperation is a vital key to success, so for those suffering and frustrated ---
hop to it!
Julie

Raychel
12-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Awesome story, It is great that you have both gotten to a place where you can be happy and comfortable with life. This huge, Merry Christmas

Leslie Langford
12-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Thank you for all those lovely comments, ladies, as well as the words of support and encouragement. It seems that many of you have found my story helpful, and in some cases, it has encouraged you to move forward in a similar direction.

I also want to give a special "shout out" to Marla in this post:

Marla, I am very familiar with your own story now from your previous posts, as well as the agony that you have gone through recently in trying to adjust to your new domestic situation - more particularly, the fact that your wife will now be working from home, and how that will likely impact negatively on your future crossdressing opportunities.

You talk of using my breakthrough as an example, having your planned presentation to your wife fully prepared and rehearsed to minimize any potential surprises, and being able to address all foreseeable objections. You also speak of doing this before Christmas, likely hoping to capitalize on the spirit of generosity and family bonding so characteristic of this time of year.

All very noble intentions and I fully support them, but I do feel the need to introduce one caveat here, namely - is Christmas really the best time to do this? I understand where you are coming from, but will your wife see it the same way?

Women can be very unpredictable in their reactions (no sh*t! ;)), and Christmas is an especially emotional time for them. I just hope that this plan doesn't blow up in your face, and that you will be demonized for not only bringing this touchy subject up yet again, but especially at this very sensitive time of year.

Granted, this could go either way - and only you know your wife best. I'm just playing Devil's advocate here and introducing a bit of a reality check before you potentially shoot yourself in the foot. As the say in stand-up comedy, "Timing is everything...:eek: :doh:

Stephanie47
12-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Leslie, I was happy to read of the acceptance your wife has shown. I have to guess your wife has realized the world has not come an end because of your cross dressing desires.

Julie Denier
12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
So happy for you! My spouse is unsupportive, and I abstained for well over a year. I'm back to dressing in secret on a limited basis. I hope things continue to get better for you.

Jessica Who
12-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Leslie, that makes me so happy to hear, congratulations on a huge milestone :)

ReineD
12-23-2012, 07:51 PM
I can't tell you how pleased I am to read this, Leslie, from the bottom of my heart. I am so happy that you and your wife have ceased to butt heads over this.

:hugs: