PDA

View Full Version : Camilla's ballet thread (long intro)

CamillaCD
12-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Time to sum up this term's ballet activity.

I started 3 years ago, never done any dancing before. It was Jamie who inspired me to take the plunge (see http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?147694-The-Continuing-Saga-of-Jamie-s-Ballet-Lessons). I found a school that had a class for adult beginners and signed up. I think they miscalculated the response since I was the only adult beginner, so they filled in with a group of teenagers (who had danced before). The teacher was enthusiastic and the other dancers didn't mind, so I was happy. There was no beginners class the next term, but after that they have put the class on their schedule. I have been attending those classes since.

The number of adults has increased the last terms. This autumn a dozen or so has regularly showed up. Even another guy (sadly it seems that he won't continue). We are starting to get to know each other.

I have not kept my crossdressing a secret. Some of the other dancers, teachers and the school "headmaster" knows I do this. They have seen pictures, and some are Facebook friends. They have no trouble with this. In the class I am all male though. The focus is on the dancing. Okay, I have pierced ears...

The school has it's own web page at http://www.barneballett.no/

This term had an exiting finish for me. I had my public debut as a ballet dancer!

Every year the teachers set up a play to be performed in public. Everyone is encouraged to play a part in it. Normally about 100 of the 400 students sign up. The majority being 8 to 12 years old. This year even the adult beginners would participate. There were too few of us that dared a year ago.

So a month ago 5 of us started practising the dance we were going to do. The music was "Neville's waltz" from Harry Potter. No complicated moves as the teacher thought it would be better that we did the dance well than showing off and making mistakes. I must have played that piece at least 100 times...

This week was the culmination of our efforts. Final rehearsel on stage on Tuesday, and performances the next two evenings. A totally new experience being back stage and using a dressing room. The adults (2 ballet and 2 jazz groups) got one, the kids got the others. With all the kids it got a bit noisy. Going on stage did not seem to worry them at all.

The dances went very well, no slip-ups as far as I noticed. It was slightly nerve-wrecking (we hadn't done this before) being on stage in front of a big audience, but all-in-all it was a very positive experience. We were also a bit proud that we pulled it off. The teacher was also happy as a clam.

The adults dressing room before chaos ruled.

Marguarite
12-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Camilla, It's fantastic that you are fulling your dream, I'm so happy for you. HUGS, Marguarite

JamieG
12-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Camilla, that's wonderful! I am so jealous that you got to perform. I am still waiting for the day.

CamillaCD
12-23-2012, 04:05 AM
I'm sure you're going to love it. Especially afterwards. I am still a bit exited at what I have done. I have 3 nieces (10 & 11 years) who also love ballet and have been on stage. Guess what we're going to talk about tomorrow when I visit them for Christmas...

Sarah V
12-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Ms. Camilla: Great news you bring from Norway. I too am and adult ballet (recreational) student and have been so for many years now. I love it. It is a good social outlet for me going to class. I have made friends in class where ever my companies work has taken me. It is a great form of exercise and it goes a long way for helping keep my body limber. Like you, I take class only as a male (who among us doen't wish we could do so as one of the ladies though) and like you said, it is all business in class, but our instuctor does like to make if fun for her adults and she finds it refeshing she tells us for her to teach folks who have a keen interest in ballet , folks who want to be there, and who want to watch themselves try to advance their skills, and who have a love of dance. In my practice at home, I do practice enfemme. Do keep us informed on how your classes go once you start your next series of classes. Due to my crazy work schedule I am going to begin taking mostly privates starting in the new year and hopefully try to have my instuctor let me at least begin to try pointe. Do feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat about ballet.

CamillaCD
01-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Getting ready for this term's ballet classes. I haven't been lazy during the Christmas holidays so I think it will go well.

The first performance of the play we had before Christmas almost started with an embarressment. The dressing rooms are on the 3.th floor, while the stage is on the ground floor. We (adult beginners class) were waiting in our room when I noticed some of the kids getting ready to go down the stairs. Weren't they performing right after us ? Then the guy who was keeping tabs on which group should be getting ready came running up the stairs saying "You are on in 2 minutes!". So we had to rush down the stairs. The first ones to go onto the stage had about two seconds to go from running to doing a slow waltz. We all got a stern look from one of the teachers. Whimsical kids can be late, but adults ? At least we didn't have time to get nervous.

It's not the best picture, but I got this one of us.

CamillaCD
01-20-2013, 11:45 AM
First week of this term completed.

I am attending two classes, the same ones as the autumn term.

The first one is for "adults above 12 years". It is a class for those who have danced before. Many have gone to this school when they were young, and a couple have danced professionally. It is not a class for learning new things, but one to get a workout, brush up old skills and have a good time. Some combinations are a bit difficult for me, but I get most of them, if you leave out style and/or grace.

The second class is for the adult beginners. Around 15 showed up, half a dozen new ones, to the delight of the teacher. She went through the moves at the barre more thorough, but as I concentrated on doing them right I worked up a sweat anyway.

So, two classes, 90 and 60 minutes, and an additional 60 minutes of practice at home during the weekends, makes a total of 3.5 hours a week. I would like to do more, but I think there will be protests from my body. The gap between what I want to do and what my body can do is getting bigger every year :-(

Beverley Sims
01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
I like the success you have made of the class and think that it is good you have maintained your male persona and admitted your CD ing.
Others I have seen in classes bring their interest to class and this upsets a lot of girls and disrupts and divides the class.
Keep up the good work and I haven't seen Jamie's ballet lesson progression for some time now.

CamillaCD
02-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Since I spend a lot of time doing ballet I thought I should at least try a real tutu. So before Christmas I want on eBay and found this genuine "Made in China" piece. People (including ballet teachers at the school) have been curious of how it looked so after the class yesterday we had a mini photoshoot. No odd looks from the other dancers :) I don't think I shall knock on the door at http://www.trockadero.org/ but it would have been great to watch one of their performances.

JamieG
02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Ooh, pretty tutu! Next time let's see it with some makeup and a wig. I just love tutus. A (TG) friend of mine was cleaning out her closet and gave me five tutus. I love the way they bounce when you jump and twirl.

Cam
02-15-2013, 10:55 PM
I am sooo jealous. I spent just over 20 years on stage with several ballet companies and miss it all the time. My career ended because of injuries so adult classes are not a possibility. Some tell me I could still teach, but I have always refused to use a demonstrator. Some things a teacher needs to be able to do to be able to teach.

Keep up your dancing. It only gets more fun the better you get.

Sarah V
02-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Your Tutu looks great on you. If you ever do Ravell's Bolero, it would work with that peice quite nicely. Besides for posing for the pics, have you actually had a chance to dance in it yet? If you do (or plan) to do pointe at some point (pun intended) that Tutu is going to look smashing on you !! Do try wearing it though with ballet pink or white tights, I think you will like the effect. If only your Tutu were a bit darker red, then the black tights would really look sharp. Thanks again for sharing your pictures!! Happy continued Adult Ballet dancing!

CamillaCD
02-17-2013, 02:22 PM
It was fun aquiring the tutu, learning about its history, different styles and anatomy. The one I chose is the classical (Russian) style. There is also the bell tutu (European) and the romantic tutu (the skirt cut above the ankle). I found 3 online shops, one in Russia (of course), one in the US and one in Hong Kong.

A bit odd feeling putting it on the first time. You can't see your legs and where do you rest your arms ? Feeling it bounce when you jump is just great...

I haven't really danced in it yet, other than some moves at home. The photo shoot was after the class, just before 10 PM, so we didn't have much time. The teacher told me how to pose, and also took the pictures. I don't have pink or white tights, but you may be right about those colors being better.

It has crossed my mind to do a dance as part of the school's show next Christmas. That would be a challenge, both for me and any conservative spectators...

I have doubts that doing pointe is good for my feet. It takes a lot of time and effort even for youngsters. The bones in my ankle has had 50 years to get solid, so it is downright impossible to make a straight line from the leg to the toes. So I am afraid I might injure myself if I try this.

CamillaCD
03-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Easter holidays this week, so no ballet classes. I have come up with a routine where I practice the basics plus some piruettes at home. Stretching is an important part of this routine. Still a long way to go before the splits are how I want them to be.

A couple of weeks ago I had to skip the monday class in order to see an opera (Cavalleria Rusticana). So last thursday I traded that class for a jazz ballet class that starts right after my beginners class. It went well, but I think that two full hours of workout is a bit too much. How I wish I was 35 years younger...

CamillaCD
05-24-2013, 12:56 PM
End of this semester. Last beginner's class yesterday, last "veterans" class next Monday. Next semester starts in mid August.

I think I am going to sign up for two classes for exerienced dancers. The school "headmaster" and the teacher agreed that I couldn't label me as a beginner any more :-)

2 1/2 months without classes is a long time. Luckily there is going to be summer classes in June (2 per week, 3 weeks). Still it is going to be a challenge to practise at home. Being told to do something is easier than deciding to do it by oneself.

Improvements are not as fast as during the first semesters. Not sure what to blame. At my age new things take time to stick. I practice doing piruettes, but as I have a fear of falling I haven't been able to consistently do 720 degrees turns. I'll have to think of something to improve the way I practice. Then there is doing the splits, but I guess that just takes a lot of will power (practising every day).

Sarah V
05-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Camilla: Do keep at it, as you are doing great. I was just on DDN (Dance.Net) and another adult there was lamenting on how hard it is to find good Adult classes during the summer. Like you I go on hiatus in a couple more weeks till the first week in September. They do not do summer classes at my studio for adults. All their summer stuff is for the kids dance camps, their pre-pre-pre pro companies, and their teen student intensives. So, I will, like you be working by myslef at home as well. YOU are right it is going to take a lot of will power, after putting in a full day at work, to go and practice. But thinking of the fall term starting should help motivate me. I also want to check out privates a bit more to see if I can bridge the summer gap with them. Keep Danc'n girl!!

Sarah