PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on moving outside NA/Europe for CDs?

JadeEmber
12-22-2012, 08:30 PM
So, I'm considering moving to Singapore, but other places in the area are possible. I've lived in Can/US/Europe, but I'm a bit interested in other people's experiences.

I'm not a public cd, so it's possible it might never come up, but how did you feel about the ex-pat and general community in such situations? I've heard expat communities can be a bit "bro-ish" sometimes, but I don't know as that's the case. Also, I'm not sure it'll matter. I didn't feel the urge in Europe to go out of my way to chat with Americans or Canadians. I've heard Singapore is conservative, but the people possibly more cd/trans friendly than many places, but maybe it would be touchy?

I know many people love the area, but it has its quirks, as I've heard.

Anyway, if anyone has any experiences, either from the general area already, or having moved, I'd love to hear them. I'd rather not feel I need to quit. Also, I have no idea where one would buy anything. The women I've known who've lived there had problems buying stuff, since they were all taller, as I am.

Also, what about Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Delhi/Mumbai? Other people might be interested in people's experiences elsewhere, and so am I, in that one never knows where one will end up :P

Thanks for any thoughts :)

Christa001
12-22-2012, 08:59 PM
I have been to Singapore-Very tolerant society.

Christa

AngelaKelly<3
12-22-2012, 09:02 PM
The government in Singapore is VERY conservative. There's quite a lot of LGBT rights issues in that country, with a lot of stuff relating to LGBT people carrying jail sentences; I doubt a lot of people would accept the CD lifestyle....although there's a lot of really harsh laws against some LGBT stuff, it is legal and recognised to change genders in Singapore.

But I've not had any experiance of that part of the world myself lol

Lynn Marie
12-22-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm in NW Washington State. This place is about as tolerant of the LGBT community as it gets. I like it here!

mikiSJ
12-22-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm in NW Washington State. This place is about as tolerant of the LGBT community as it gets. I like it here!

I was stationed in Bremerton in 1965. Things have REALLY, REALLY, REALLY changed for you to be making that comment. I met some gays in Seattle who absolutely feared being hassled by the police, who at the time could/would lock you up for simply "acting" gay.

Now, Washington State has approved gay marriage by popular vote. Things can and do change, most often for the better.

Lynn Marie
12-22-2012, 11:14 PM
1965 is nearly 48 years ago. I was at Fort Bragg then and the movie theaters in Fayetteville had separate entrances for black folks. Oh yes, things have changed all over.

Also, I'm on the west side of the state near Seattle. That does makes a difference.

LaraPeterson
12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I've traveled fairly extensively in Europe and Asia; there are places (localities) where you can dress without much fear just about everywhere I've been but, like in the US, there are areas where it is still not very safe. As for Singapore, I'm still a little wary of that place both from personal experience and what I continue to read. I'd say they are "tolerant" but that's about it. As for Hong Kong, I've read quite a bit of negative press but I've been all over HK and never found anything that gave me pause.

As for a place to live as a CD or transgender outside the US, I've been looking at South America lately as well as Spain, France, & the UK. In my experience, it's as much what you bring to it and how you act as it is what you can expect from others. If you are looking for a place where everyone will treat you the way you want/expect to be treated, good luck; I've never found such a place.

JadeEmber
12-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the responses.

That's interesting Lara, I wouldn't have thought South America would be great for that, but I've only been there in small doses and wasn't looking towards that. I'd be interested in anything you might have heard.

Thanks for the replies on Asia! It's a tricky bit, as I think I'll have to do what's best for other reasons, whatever I decide that to be, and hope it just works out well, I suppose.

Yeah, there's no place really where one is simply free to be whoever they are. The UK is pretty good, comparable to many places in the US. I love France, but I can't really comment on that, given I never tried to test it. Mind, I'm not public.

sometimes_miss
12-24-2012, 01:43 AM
If you want tolerant areas to live, perhaps move to Greenwich Village in NYC or perhaps San Francisco. Both areas are known to be inhabited by lots of alternative lifestyle people. I don't know of other countries, not having lived abroad anywhere (no pun intended).

JadeEmber
12-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the reply! Honestly, I don't move on the basis of comfort. My main concern was making the move and then being surprised with what I jumped into. I can't move out for a few months first. Depending on what it's like (no matter where I go), I'll have to adjust.

In general, I've been in the states again for a while now (years), and it's time to go somewhere else again, I think. Or find a really engrossing opportunity in the US. Or, you know, win the lottery and live wherever the urge takes me. So, CD'ing isn't going to cause me to nix a place I think, although it might be a factor in choosing. I'm going prone to boredom, and like new challenges.

I've never lived in Greenwich or San Fran, but I've been in San Fran a fair bit. It is pretty nice.

Sarah V
12-31-2012, 01:02 PM
The only thoughts I can add here is to watch out if you move to any of the smaller Asian countires. Many of these nations (Singapore, Malasia, Burma, Phillipines, etc.) are heavily Islamic and very conservative, and I would believe not very tollerant of anyone who embraces a TG lifestyle. I would try Thiland, as they are very nice and accepting, but agin they too are having trouble with radical islamist groups in the country. I understand Vietnam is becoming quite a nice country/place for Ex Pats to retire /settle down in, but again, I know nothing of how tolerant the local communities or govt would be. If you were to live in a area/city/community made up of primarily Ex Pats with retirement $$ to spend, I think you would be o.k.

For that matter, you may want to look into Mexico. A lot of European and American retiree's are re-locating there. It's cheap, you can get a nice place to live, the Wx is nice, the healthcare is good, and as long as you are not around a boarder area, none of the unpleasentness currently going on happens in those towns.

Beverley Sims
03-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I think you need to be self sufficient to move to Singapore/Hong Kong.
Living conditions are cramped and I would like wider open spaces.