PDA

View Full Version : Are you !@#$%^& crazy?!?!?!?!

~Joanne~
12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
During Christmas, My So and I were out shopping and she wanted some new bras. As I stated earlier, I was hoping to get a new bra myself for christmas, which I did, but it wasn't wrapped or under the tree and such.

We don't do our shopping the traditional way any more. We shop together and have for a few years now. We still get each other 3-4 things to wrap that are surprises but I got nothing girly under the tree but I did get quite a few things that she did pick out and bought for me :)

Anyways, we are at the mall and decided to go into VS. Never been in there till that day and it was pretty damn crowed. So she is looking over various bra and pantie sets and says to me "go find what you want".

So I branch off into the madness to look around and see what catches my eye when a sale person approaches me and asks if she can help. Figuring what the hey, I told her my bra size and panty size (mind you, I didn't say they were for me nor did she ask who they were for), I wanted something lacey, and in black.

After looking at various sets we came to one that I absolutely LOVED. She told me the bra was $80 and the panties were $30. I said "excuse me" and walked over to my GF and said "um, we need to leave, now" After we left the store she asked what the problem was and I said "their prices" lol She laughed and wasn't finding much she liked anyways, thank GOD lol

$110 + tax seems an awful lot for a bra and Panty set that might be a bit nicer on the eye than the average Kmart set but is almost the same material from what I felt. Seeing I do not have real boobs, I couldn't justify to myself spending that much money. I see women do the same with heels and such.

So what I want to know is .....are you crazy? Would you spend that much on an item or have you? what is the most expensive item in your wardrobe?

kimdl93
12-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Honestly, I have never bought an $110 bra and panty set, but I have $600 breast forms, two $200 wigs, a half dozen shapers and corsets that cost me about $70 on average, not to mention many shoes, sweaters, slacks and dresses that have cost me a few thousand all together, I'm sure. I'm not biologically female, and I suppose that some people would say I'm crazy. But for me, these items are part of my every day life.

Nicole Erin
12-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Never shopped at VS but yes $80 is insane. I think last time I spent that for bras, I bought 4 of them for $80 or less.

There isn't much point in spending a fortune on most any kind of clothing except things that will see a lot of abuse like tennies or a winter coat. Things that are just novelty will get old too quick anyways. So if you are thinking of going back to get it, don't even bother cause after the first couple wears, the newness will be gone and it will just be another bra/panty set crammed in your chest of drawers.

I think the only reason VS is still around is cause of their marketing. The fancy store, the sexy model photos etc. If they sold VS at some lame-o store like Kmart or walmart, no one would buy it, even people who had the money.

Debra Russell
12-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Ditto that -- there's lots of femm pretty stuff way lots cheaper - just look around VS is very spendy - for the wife any price for my self it better be pretty special and $30 is about my limit..................Debra

StephanieC
12-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Well, VS does have some nice things. And yes, they are expensive. Here are some tips: wait for the semi-annual sales or signup for the VS card and they will send you periodic emails, some good for free or BOGO.

But yes, bras and panties can be expensive, regardless of whether you go to VS, JCP, or Kohls. But there are ways to get around all of those. There are lots of sales, usually BOGO or 6for and Kohls has clearance racks.

Just like anything else, there are ways around the price.

-stephani

reb.femme
12-27-2012, 01:10 PM
The most I've spent is £140 (approx $200) on my breast forms so that kind of money on bra and knickers is ludicrous. Unless you're a millionaire type.
Quality is something you splash out on, name brand is not.

Rebecca

Marleena
12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Crap! They are nuts! Now I know to stay away from VS. Other than wigs and shapewear I haven't spent more than 40$ on anything.

Persephone
12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
You are presumably paying for the engineering, just like in a high priced imported car.

Besides, VS isn't in the business of selling bras and panties, they are in the business of selling dreams.

La Perla has a book out about their company history and the title says it all, "Lingerie and Desire."

You might want to check out their bras (click here) (http://www.laperla.com/en-us/lingerie/bras/#/?f-size=&f-style=&f-variant=&p=1&s=).

Hugs,
Persephone.

Michelle 51
12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Not on bras etc.Don't blame you.However I can't take the high road about spending on Michellle.Taking a vacation and flying across the country just to have a week as michelle and now am considering laser for the beard.I guess I deprived her too many yrs and now she's getting even.

mikiSJ
12-27-2012, 01:25 PM
I wear breast forms - 40C. I just went to the VS site and did a bra search on 40C Full Coverage. Since I don't like having any of the breatform showing from the bra, there was NOTHING that I would buy from VS.

So, no! I am not !@#$%^& crazy.

I am willing to pay $60 for a Wacoal or Spanx Bra, but not a $ for anything from VS.

DanaR
12-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I did buy a pair of VS panties once, but probably would never purchase a bra from them.

Eryn
12-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Remember that every store has to sell a product at a high price at least once so they can give the impression that you are getting a massive discount later on. The holiday season is the worst time to shop at places like VS because they are catering to people (particularly husbands) who Must Find A Present and who will pay full prices. I've no doubt that the salespersons guide males toward the really high-priced merchandise, VS also sells a few high-end embellished bras during this season that cost even more.

That said, my family buys a lot of VS products. We all wear the bras, but seldom pay more than $25 for them because we wait for the sales. I like their full-coverage T-shirt bras as they hold everything in place securely and are as comfortable as a bra can be. I don't particularly like their panties as they are very narrow in the crotch and not suited to tucking.

Cheryl T
12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Gee, I have quite a few bras and I'm not sure that I paid that much for all of them combined. I'd never pay $30 for a pair of panties (especially VS being so skimpy at that). I'd prefer to shop sales and get much more for that money. Guess I'm just a cheap B*(&^H at heart...LOL.

Lorileah
12-27-2012, 02:01 PM
everything at VS is above what I think I want to spend for underwear, and especially underwear no one else will see, and especially for underwear, if someone would see, would be shredded in the heat of the moment....oh sorry TMI huh?

It may be cute but it isn't any cuter than say Target or my favorite underwear store Burlington coat factory

Angela Campbell
12-27-2012, 02:08 PM
That isn't a bra.....it is an emotional money mistake!

ReineD
12-27-2012, 02:18 PM
There is a marked difference between cheap construction and a better made product. Walmart clothes, for example, may not withstand as many washings as more expensive brands. But, there are quality middle of the road products that perform just as well as the higher priced designer products.

So, people are buying into a hype, "the image", IMO. They like to feel as if they are getting an aesthetically "better" product, even though the performance is not significantly different. Really, with modern fabric manufacturing, is there a marked difference between a lace that is made in France on old looms, and a lace made of quality fabric on a commercial loom?

Edit - People who have money to burn need to spend it somewhere, I guess. :)

Joanne f
12-27-2012, 02:36 PM
I must admit that when it comes to buying for me I am a cheapskate , seeing that it is January sales time you should have asked her if her panties were likely to come down :straightface:

stephNE
12-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes, that is expensive, we never buy from VS. As ReineD said, there are very cheap items out there that don't hold up, and many good quality mid cost range items that are as good and sometimes better than the big name manufacturers.

Lorileah
12-27-2012, 03:20 PM
you should have asked her if her panties were likely to come down :straightface:

you actually said that with a straight face? :)

Jamie2
12-27-2012, 03:38 PM
i must admit that when it comes to buying for me i am a cheapskate , seeing that it is january sales time you should have asked her if her panties were likely to come down :straightface:

what ?????????????????????

Joanne f
12-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Well if I had given even a little hint of a smile there could have been a very very small chance that it would have been misunderstood :o

Lady Catherine
12-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Why yes I am. Crazy, that is. But, I would never pay that kind of $$$ for underwear.

SherriePall
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
OK, I have bought several bras from VS. All of them the same kind -- soft cups made from a cotton-stretchy material. Each cost me about $20. They fit well, are comfy, and are lasting a long time.
The most expensive thing I ever bought was my hair (replacement system) which cost me more than I care to admit.
Eryn -- I agree with you on VS panties -- much too narrow in the crouch.

LadyPilot
12-27-2012, 04:52 PM
We all wear the bras, but seldom pay more than $25 for them because we wait for the sales.

Thats is how I feel about VS wait til they go on sale. I do enjoy the attention that the SA pays to me when I go there, for some reason it's more fun going in drab. BTW, I will never pay that much for a bra. LP

JamiXO
12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
La Perla has a book out about their company history and the title says it all, "Lingerie and Desire."

You might want to check out their bras (click here) (http://www.laperla.com/en-us/lingerie/bras/#/?f-size=&f-style=&f-variant=&p=1&s=).

Hugs,
Persephone.

OK, Persephone wins. $72 for a men's V-neck @ La Perla? Crazy.
But Jami likes the look of their bras and shapeware, very much!

I've been struggling with the odd size issue (large band, small cup) and I've found several sites with a lot of potential, but have yet to follow through. The one key part of that potential was the prices are very reasonable ($30-$60) for the special fits they offer. http://www.lindasonline.com/ is my favorite.
ciao!

Suzy Parker
12-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Am I Crazy?

Only when I cannot dress for extended periods of time, then I am a certifiliable nut job.

I think guys who do not crossdress are crazy, they do not know what they are missing.

Crazy is spending good money on sports tickets instead of some new skirts, blouses, and heels.

SandraInHose
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM
I can definitely relate. For me, it's pantyhose. I couldn't fathom spending $30, $40, and even $60 on a single pair of Wolfords. And if I did, I'd be afraid to even put them on, let alone wear them anywhere!

Over the years I've tried some high-dollar department store hose (in the $12-$16 range), but always find myself coming back to L'eggs Sheer Energy. Not exactly cheap, at $4.50/pair, but they are pretty durable and available most everywhere.

Bree Wagner
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Crazy, yes, but not to spend that much on underwear. I'll admit to owning some expensive stuff (hair and breastforms) but considering how often any given piece of clothing gets worn almost everything in my wardrobe comes from clearance racks or thrift stores. Could I be tempted to spend a bit more on that one 'gotta have it' item? Probably, but only if the money was in my pocket! :)

Erica Marie
12-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Gotta love Kohls. Some very cute things on the bargain rack, plus they send out extra discounts every so often. Keep your eyes peeled for sales and discounts.

Michaela42
12-27-2012, 07:26 PM
So what I want to know is .....are you crazy? Would you spend that much on an item or have you? what is the most expensive item in your wardrobe?

Not from VS. Nothing against them but as you said - it is the same stuff from KMart only with a "name" on it. Now if it was custom fit, real silk, etc. . . Possibly? We all need to spoil ourselves from time to time.:2c:

Sorry, I forgot to add my most expensive item - a pair of $350 breast-forms. Like I said - we all have to spoil ourselves from time to time.

Jilmac
12-27-2012, 10:15 PM
I couldn't begin to guess at the most expensive item in my wardrobe. I usually try to stay as cheap as possible buying my clothes from various thrift shops. The majority of my lingerie and bras come from the bargain racks at TJ Maxx, Penney's or Kohls. I've always said Victorias Secret is highly overrated and extremely overpriced. My undergarments are just as pretty, and just as feminine as VS and cost about 1/8 the price. I do own some VS items but they were either gifts, or I purchased them from private sellers on craigslist at bargain prices.

AmyGaleRT
12-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I might pay $30 for a bra I really liked (though I would prefer to pay around $20 or so). But $80? I could get a new dress for that...maybe two or three if I shop clearance. Or one or two pairs of shoes.

I spent over $200 on my forms, but that's different. :)

- Amy

I Am Paula
12-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I've been around women, and women's clothing all my life. My mom was uber-fashionista. I love fashion, and all things feminine. VS are on the low-medium scale of things. Any independant lingerie store is more expensive than VS. I don't start wincing 'till we hit the $200 mark, and bras go much higher. I am DYING for the Christian Louboutin jewelled pumps, $3400 at NeimanMarkus (well, maybe I can put off dying till after tax time). Remember, you can spent any amount on anything, find your comfort level and stay there.-Celeste

lingerieLiz
12-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I have had some VS stuff, but I didn't like the couple of bras that I purchased a few years ago and when I 've been in their store didn't find what I was looking for. The problem I had was the bra band just wasn't comfortable.

As for pricing, I wear Wacoal bras for the most part and most of them are in the $60 and up range. I do have several high end bras that run well over $100. I shop a lot and look for sales. I have found many of my bras for under $20. The key is time to look and find the bargans. When I'm working I don't have time to shop and pay whatever.

While I'm not a VS fan, the more expensive bras are better made and usually more comfortable. Or they have more expensive material in them.

Ceri Anne
12-28-2012, 01:02 AM
I recently went into a Soma (like VS, but classier) and absolutly fell in love with their panties (about $20 a pair, bras $50) I got lucky and caught a sale, 5 for $33. They are much much better than the panties at Walmart, they have a sale on bras now, but not the ones I like.........so need to reconsider.......don't mind 20-25 for a nice bra, but $50? specially when I can get very sexy at Walmart for 10

oh, and my most expensive item outside of forms, is $35. Still debating a $60 dress I just love and hope is stil in my size when it hits sale racks.

noeleena
12-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Hi,

Suzy

Well I would have been a certifilible nut case , had i opened my mouth 55 years a go had i said i was intersexed.

as for that price for Knickers & bra's no way, Jos or i would have said something, today i think if i had brought them i would have just walked in to the assylam & be done with.

Help thats way over the top , price wise, yes we have a few shops with those prices not for us,

...noeleena...

ArleneRaquel
12-28-2012, 01:23 AM
I think that the most I have ever spent on a single bra was $40, but its more likely that its price was more like $20. My memory is surley fading fast. :sad:

MonctonGirl
12-28-2012, 01:31 AM
I have a $400 silk tie, have spent $300 on custom tailored shirts, have $300 western boots ( steel shank & toe )
...but no underwear that cost that much. Mind you if it was THERMASILK and I was climbing Everest, I'd do it.

I have spent over $1,000 on the Femskin Panty Girdle though ... and for the most part get a better shape
and more comfort from a $15 body shaper and foam padding.

I would consider spending that much on the perfect realistic breast forms .... but not on a bra or panties.

But hey ... if they can sell it high ... they should.

Rhonda Darling
12-28-2012, 07:08 AM
You asked "what is the most expensive thing in my wardrobe?" The answer is: I AM. I'll spend as much as I can to get nice girl clothes. That doesn't mean that I look to waste money, but if my eye catches something that really says "this is you" to me, I'll find a way to buy it. I have multiple sizes and types of breast forms, multiple wigs (I'm getting better at picking out the good ones.) I want to pamper me, and I missed a lot of years when I couldn't -- now making up for lost time.

Rhonda

Beverley Sims
12-28-2012, 08:02 AM
A Christian Dior dress from a high class school jumble sale.
It cost me $5 for the bag which I could stash as much as I liked into it.
Among the dresses was this evening gown by Dior.
I guess it cost 25 cents but the label alone on the collectors market is worth $50.00
Attached to the dress as it is probably$25.00. :)

CindyT
12-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Yes, VS is way over priced. I would never buy a bra there, however I am on their email list and when I see a sale on panties where they are like 5 for $25 then I will order some. They are very comfortable panties. The other issue with their bras is they have a very small range of sizes, 38DD or DDD is about the biggest they carry. I recently bought a few new bras from Target dot com and also from Leading Lady dot com and Bare Necessities dot com, very reasonable!!!!

Cassandra Lynn
12-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Omfg..........:lol:

*ambles off to the kitchen for a towel to wipe the desktop and keyboard.

CynthiaD
12-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Let's see ... One $80 bra and be femme for a day, or 8 $10 bras and be femme for a week?

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

sissystephanie
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
I guess I am crazy, because I probably own that bra and most likely the panties also. I buy most of my lingerie at VS. However, I rarely pay full price. The SA's at the stores I ususually shop in know that I am a crossdresser and almost always give me discounts. Although I am definitely a male, I do have natural 40 B boobs. I do not wear forms since I don't need them. So I can spend that money on a real nice bra!! Oh yes, since I have about 200 bra's I never wear the same one twice in a row!

kimdl93
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
anie;3062791]... I buy most of my lingerie at VS. However, I rarely pay full price. The SA's at the stores I ususually shop in know that I am a crossdresser and almost always give me discounts[/B].....

Now, how do I get that deal????

Barbra P
12-28-2012, 11:20 AM
About twenty years ago I worked in retail and one day while having lunch with the store manager he asked if I knew which department was the most profitable. My area of expertise was electronics, and I knew it wasn’t electronics because the markup rarely went above 10 percent. I knew that major appliances had a fair markup and I knew that many items in both men’s and women’s clothing carried a high markup (name brand men’s dress shirts often had a markup close to 400 percent; sell one shirt in a box of four and the store had recouped the cost of the entire box), but I guessed the automotive department.

Not even close! Lingerie was the BIG winner in the store, typically over 1000 percent markup. Sell one name brand bra (Bali, Lilyette, Maidenform, Playtex, etc) and the store had recouped the cost of a dozen bras. Interesting note: Maidenform manufactures for other brand names including Lilyette and Victoria Secret – Victoria's Secret “Miraculous Push-up Bra” is the same as the Maidenform “The Ultimate Push Up Bra 9359” (that bra is no longer available from Maidenform).

KimberlyJean
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I like VS, I have tried cheap bras and other brands of bras and panties but VS seems to fit me the best. I like the no show hip hugger panties, normally they are 3/$33 and the Showstopper bras $50. Their lingerie and swimsuits are crazy, but most of their everyday wear stuff is great, VS jeans fit like they are made for me.

SoCalBikiniLover
12-28-2012, 11:47 PM
I love VS, both the wife and I shop there all the time, we have several bras and way to many panties to count from there. most of the bras have been 2 for $50 and the panties were either 4 for $28 or 3 for $33. We both have styles we love and have gotten almost every color in the collection. I think the most expensive items I own is swimwear, almost all my swimsuits I spend around $120 to $200 a piece for them.

k lynn
12-29-2012, 06:04 AM
I like VS my bras come from there 2 for $50.00 someday I will buy there tee-shirt bra panties I buy 7 for $25.50 on sell and like KImberlyjean said there jeans fit like thet are made for me

rachel_rachel
12-29-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm yet to pay anything more than approx. $30 - $40 for anything i own.. But, i'm paying off a pair of iron fist heels that will cost me $65 inc. postage.

Rogina B
12-29-2012, 07:48 AM
But the VS bags that hold all your "purchases" are so pretty and nice! The store doesn't do a thing for me and my 42 C bra size puts me out "of range" anyway.And,to quote my wife"there's no room for Willy in these panties anyway".[the VS cut IS narrow!] However,my Venezuelan wife with the body to kill for,likes their bras best.Being Spanish,she loves a bargain and uses coupons,discounts,etc for her bra and panty purchases and my "tween" daughter has now moved up to their panties.2 for $50 on bras made for 6 laying out on "her" side of the bed when I got home the other day. Perhaps I can get the empty bag to parade around the mall with and look fashionable! Like someone said,Burlington Coat factory has lots of bras in "our size range"..

Maria 60
12-29-2012, 07:52 AM
A little time before Walmart was around I couldn't find female shoe's in size 10,11. and my dressing was not full out, a skirt and pantyhose to me was considered crossdressing. I went to a crossdressing store in downtown Toronto and bought a pair of black stiletto's and paid them 85.00 dollars. When I went home and showed my wife, first of all she was in shock that I exposed my pantyhose feet in public to try them on and second she said she didn't even pay that kind of money for her wedding shoe's.

MissTee
12-29-2012, 08:07 AM
My most expensive items are my wigs. I like nice hair, so I stocked up at the wigs.com 50% off sale back in October. Even at that much off I spent over $200 on some. Aside from that, I shop mostly at Dillards and Dress Barn -- accompanied by the wife as my "cover." Other than that, I love onestopplus.com where I hit the uber-sales from Woman Within, Roamans, Ulla Popken, etc.

MeganHenry
12-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I wear breast forms - 40C. I just went to the VS site and did a bra search on 40C Full Coverage. Since I don't like having any of the breatform showing from the bra, there was NOTHING that I would buy from VS.

So, no! I am not !@#$%^& crazy.

I am willing to pay $60 for a Wacoal or Spanx Bra, but not a $ for anything from VS.

I love the Wacoal bras! Wish I still could fit them...I'm now a 46C or D

Raychel
12-29-2012, 08:54 AM
I would never pay that much for a bra or panties. Always looking for a deal.
And even when VS is having a sale they are still pretty expensive.
Sure some of the things are nice, But if you look around you can find things just as nice
for less $$$.

And unless that salesgirl was going to help me put that bra on everyday. It would not be worth it to me. :heehee:

BLUE ORCHID
12-29-2012, 09:04 AM
You are presumably paying for the engineering, just like in a high priced imported car.

Besides, VS isn't in the business of selling bras and panties, they are in the business of selling dreams.

Hugs,
Persephone.

I almost had a heart attack looking at the prices.

larry07
12-29-2012, 09:11 AM
I've found a few VS bras at thrift stores for next to nothing. Nice bras, but I would never pay full price. I recently bought a very nice Wacoal bra, originally priced at $56.00 for $12.00 at TJ Maxx.

Krististeph
12-29-2012, 09:22 AM

First, yes, I am crazy.

Second, depends on the bra. Mostly, i select for good fir and coverage, and ability to keep breastforms in place. Most I ever spent on a bra is about $30, but i have shelled out for a briefer for $65.

Finally, the most spent on an item? Kind of a tie betweem breast forms, boots, one of several gowns, and a really lush dressy Tahari skirt suit.

It's all in what appeals to you- personally, i get a kick of dressing up in an outfit that totals more than i used to make in a month when i was just starting off... but it certainly is not necessary to do this to enjoy crossdressing.

Dusty815
12-29-2012, 09:32 AM
My wife and I never really go to VS because of size, I do admit that I would like to go and at least look around. Perhaps with the new year and with a new weight loss goal I would reward myself with something but not $80, I just couldn't do it. I would wait for a sale then splurge a little but I do like Burlington a lot.

GG7irish
12-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Am I Crazy?

Only when I cannot dress for extended periods of time, then I am a certifiliable nut job.

Crazy is spending good money on sports tickets instead of some new skirts, blouses, and heels.

Ok call me crazy but being a GG and the "son" Daddy never had, I would rather go see football game anytime before I have to wear a dress lol...Oh wait I am called crazy cat lady :)

TGMarla
12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Absolutely, positively, unalterably, completely, and irrevocably NO FREAKIN' WAY! Sure I like a pretty bra, but for me, even wearing one is more utilitarian than anything else. They hold the boobies in place, and little more. Unless I'm wearing something sheer, no one will ever see it. To me, such a set as you described would be more for sexual enticement of a lover than for anything else. I mean, unless I'm trying to be seductive to someone who would appreciate such a set, something much cheaper will do the job just fine.

And sheesh! These were Christmas prices?

Rachel M
12-29-2012, 10:46 AM
So, I shop there. I will go to their Semi-annual sale and buy items at more than half off. After the sale ends, i know some girls will go back and ask for a price adjustment (return/buy back). I havent done that though. What doesnt sell during the semi-annual sale, they have bins set out with all bras on closeout for $15. Pull out the GPS and happy hunting for VS stores, it can be slim pickin's but a great feeling when you score.

Aubri
12-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I can't justify that sort of cost in any shape or fashion. 3 pairs of panties and a nice little pushup ran me about 50 and i balked a bit. I might be just a cheapie.

TxKimberly
12-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Not a chance in hell that I would pay that much for a bra and panties. Hell, I have trouble convincing myself to spend that much on a dress!

WifeofWrenchette
12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
this thread has made me glad I have the husband I have. He regularly shops at Saver's (thrift store) on Thursdays during the dollar sale. :) He even found a beautiful wedding dress for a dollar!

Stephanie47
12-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I suspect the sales clerk may have viewed you as either a (1) male who would buy anything for his lovely, or (2) an unwanted to shopper needing to be shocked out of the store. I suspect it was (1). My wife has never spent $80 as VS for a bra. I certainly would never spent that much for a bra. I buy off of on line sites, including eBay, and buy new bras for $20 or less.

Peta_T
12-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Well I must be crazy as then, but in my defense I'm forced to be crazy. Walk into any lingerie store here in Australia and the minimum you will spend on a bra is about $50, some can be up to $200. Panties range from $30-$80.
Is that markup, transport cost, or just greed? I don't know.
What I do know is that "most" of my way to many bra's cost me more than $50 each.
I'm not sorry one bit though.

lauren_m
12-29-2012, 04:31 PM
There's no question that VS is quite overpriced, but I think there's also no question that the quality of their stuff is quite better than K-Mart's. True, nobody would spend $80 on an unlabeled VS bra at the K, but I do think most shoppers would pay more for them unless they are just looking for the lowest possible price. I doubt I'd pay $80 for a VS bra, but there are other brands that I think would be worth it. And as someone else pointed out in this thread, have you seen the price of quality shapewear? Because shapewear doesn't really follow fashion cycles/seasons, you rarely see it marked down as significantly as high end bras and panties, so it's harder to get the good stuff without spending a fair amount of money.

rachel_rachel
12-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Well I must be crazy as then, but in my defense I'm forced to be crazy. Walk into any lingerie store here in Australia and the minimum you will spend on a bra is about $50, some can be up to $200. Panties range from $30-$80.
Is that markup, transport cost, or just greed? I don't know.
What I do know is that "most" of my way to many bra's cost me more than $50 each.
I'm not sorry one bit though.

My god where are you shopping!!!
City Chic have the most expensive bras i've seen here in Oz. and i wait for mid year sales to even consider buying them.. Trying them on is another thing, I can't help myself. I buy most of my underwear from Kmart, best and less, or target.

~Joanne~
12-30-2012, 12:22 PM
People who have money to burn need to spend it somewhere, I guess. :)

They really do and it's crazy the amount they spend on some of the items they by. I have been watching "my shopping addiction" and these people spend thousands on items they never even wear.

I must admit that when it comes to buying for me I am a cheapskate , seeing that it is January sales time you should have asked her if her panties were likely to come down :straightface:

I am sure they come down every now and then :straightface: lol

I can definitely relate. For me, it's pantyhose. I couldn't fathom spending $30, $40, and even $60 on a single pair of Wolfords. And if I did, I'd be afraid to even put them on, let alone wear them anywhere!

Over the years I've tried some high-dollar department store hose (in the $12-$16 range), but always find myself coming back to L'eggs Sheer Energy. Not exactly cheap, at $4.50/pair, but they are pretty durable and available most everywhere.

I am completely the same way. I can see spending a little bit of money on say, a really nice pair of heels, but not on pantyhose. I'd love to get some wolford's just to try them but if you catch something seconds after getting them on, that's a ton of money gone in an instant. I will never know why Legg's are shunned around here as I think they are a great brand.

Thank you all for the great responses. I can see spending a bit more for something that is going to been seen, on purpose or by accident, but not on something that is an under garment.

sometimes_miss
12-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Back in the late '80's, I purchased a pair of size 15 high heels for well over $200. When you wear an unusual size, you have to pay whatever the price is, or you'll be naked. Say what you will about buying from china, at least I don't go broke anymore buying custom made girl's clothes to fit a body the size never intended to be put into them.

PretzelGirl
12-30-2012, 02:18 PM
I think it is also okay to plan something that is a treat as long as it is planned out and not spur of the moment and that it works in your budget. Other than items like that, I do try and keep my general purchases at a low price range.

5150 Girl
12-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Forms aside, I think I drop arround $60 for wigs and I do have a pair of heels for arround $50... other than that, I don't think I have anything over $20 give or take

suchacutie
12-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Anyone who follows VS will know that the cost level is 1) the store...2) the first catelog that an item is shown...3) the second catelog...4) the sales catelog.

The price usually drops by a factor of 2, if not more. One can't get everything at the price of the last catelog, but there are a log of items that are very available!

~Joanne~
12-30-2012, 03:10 PM
I think it is also okay to plan something that is a treat as long as it is planned out and not spur of the moment and that it works in your budget. Other than items like that, I do try and keep my general purchases at a low price range.

This is how I feel :) if you save a bit to buy an expensive wig, or whatever, that doesn't break your bank, all is well but dropping $80 on a bra, that most would never see just seems to be a bit out there on the crazy scale. Even the panties at $30 is out there, they weren't even silkie.

Forms aside, I think I drop arround $60 for wigs and I do have a pair of heels for arround $50... other than that, I don't think I have anything over $20 give or take

The most expensive thing I have bought to date is my wig. I paid $75 for it on a half off sale. If I go out, the wig will certainly be seen so it should be a nicer one than a costume wig. I haven't bought any forms just because of the price, that and the lack of knowledge about which to get because at that price, for a good pair, you can't afford to make mistakes.