PDA

View Full Version : Have I bought too many clothes??

Camille15
12-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Since May, when my wife said I could have packages shipped to the house, I have purchased many more clothes than I ever anticipated I would. I started with *nothing*, as I only ever tried on her things before that. I thought I'd be happy with just a couple skirts and tops of my own. Maybe a bra and wig. But I've found buying clothes online to be so fun and fulfilling, and I find it hard to stop from buying another item or two each month. I'm now up to:

* 3 dresses: sweater dress, LBD, red sheath dress
* 5 tops: turtle neck, 4 T's
* 1 pair jeans
* 1 pair high-heels
* 5 skirts: 1 long flowered, 1 short denim, 3 long straight skirts from VS (all same, but different colors)
* 1 zip-up sweatshirt (for lounging)
* 2 bras
* 1 belt
* 4 pairs of pantyhose
* Several pairs of underwear
* A body shaper
* 1 wig
* Some costume jewlery
* A cute makeup bag, and some makeup to experiment with.

This doesn't include all the stuff I bought and then returned. OK, so I obviously didn't know what I was thinking when I thought I'd be happy with just a couple items. The irony of it all is, though, that I don't often get a chance to wear this stuff. Maybe once a month, if I'm lucky. I guess that's partly why I keep buying things.... even if I know I can't dress for awhile, I can still experience the thrill and enjoyment of knowing something is coming in the mail for me, and I'll at least get to quickly try it on for size before anyone gets home. It's the suspense of wondering "how will it look on me?" that keeps me feeling connected to my "hobby", even when I can't partake in it. Plus I feel like there are so many different kinds of looks and styles I want to try, and I'm always seeing new ones.

Am I out of control here? My wife doesn't care, or really keep track, as it's all neatly tucked away in my closet (for now anyway). And I can afford it financially. I suppose I'll eventually get tired of some of the clothes and donate them, and then buy new styles? Or maybe the excitement of all this shopping will eventually wear off, and I'll settle down to just a few new items now and then? For now I'm having too much fun to really care. :) But I am amazed at how much I've acquired in such a short time span.

Does anyone think I'm going overboard here, or have anyone had similar experiences?

Camille

GondorRachel
12-27-2012, 11:51 PM
I too have been on a bit of a spree since coming out at home...

ArleneRaquel
12-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Darlin,
There is no such thing as having too much female clothes. But do stay in your budget.

AmyGaleRT
12-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Oh, I'd probably do that and more if I didn't exercise some self-restraint. Right now I have "outstanding" and in transit:
1 pair of boots
1 pashmina-style scarf
2 pairs earrings
3 bras
A 10-pack of panties
A new dress (actually two, one is for my fiancee, and they match except for color)
And that doesn't count the three pairs of shoes that just arrived a week ago (clearance prices, and a 40% off coupon on top of that!)

Of course, there's more stuff I want to get. But, out of courtesy to my fiancee, I try and keep it down to a dull roar.

You're probably just "pink-fogged" to a certain degree. As long as you keep aware of it and don't really get out of control (like spending the rent money on clothes or something like that), you're likely OK.

- Amy

Launa
12-28-2012, 12:02 AM
I have done the same thing last year I bought a schwack of different things from my head to toes. My wife commented last month and said, "hey lets go a bit easy here." She doesn't spend any more than she has to on herself but what are girls like us supposed to do?
It costs us girls a lot more money to look good otherwise we'll walk around looking like sore Trannies.

We all need to look our best right? And what could be more important than that? LOL

My next purchase is going to be a custom made wig and I'm not looking forward to that bill. $$$ Ouch!

Ceri Anne
12-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Your doing about right. A girl always needs to update her closet. In the past 6 months, I've gotten 4 dresses, 3 skirts, 4 tops, 3 pair shoes, 1 pair boots, jeans, shorts, and just recently became hooked on Soma Intimates bras and panties. I've found I have been updating with much higher quality stuff then I used to get.

I Am Paula
12-28-2012, 12:18 AM
If the budget allows, support the economy. I bring way more than that on vacation.-Celeste

danielleinbr
12-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Too many clothes?? If the budget allows then BUY, BUY, BUY!! Lol. On a more practical note, I always try to plan outfits before I buy, and figure out what can be mixed and matched too.
Hugs
Danielle

ReineD
12-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Camille, I read your inventory and I don't think it's too much.

If you had 30-50 dresses, 30-50 skirts & tops, 30-50 pairs of shoes or more, plus more lingerie than you can count, and more makeup than you can use, then I'd say this was excessive for someone who only dresses occasionally, or even regularly. I dress like a GG all the time (:D) and I have nowhere near the amount of clothing that I've just mentioned.

So enjoy, but don't go overboard either. It's easy to start hoarding and difficult to get out of it once you've started.

CarleyR
12-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Only one pair of high heels????

DanaR
12-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Looking at your list, it seems like you don't have very much. Wait until you decide to attend a conference somewhere for a week and you'll see the need for more clothes.

Happy shopping!

MonctonGirl
12-28-2012, 01:33 AM
lots of guys do that with car parts, stereo parts, music equipment, train sets. etc etc ...

mikiSJ
12-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Camille, as Carley pointed out - ONE PAIR OF HEELS!

You need to but a couple more pairs of shoes before you wear out the ONE PAIR OF HEELS that you now have.

Diane Smith
12-28-2012, 05:04 AM
It sounds like you're on a reasonable course. It's natural to go overboard a little at first as you exercise your new freedom to shop, and while you're trying to build up a wardrobe comparable to what women have spent decades accumulating. But the fact that you're even asking the question means you are conscious of the idea of limits, and shopping more carefully in the future, with a definite goal in mind. This tells me you'll probably start slowing down soon and will be buying fewer, but better, items in the future. You do have to work on that shoe collection, though. You won't earn your CD license until you own at least your own weight in high heels.

- Diane

Cheryl T
12-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Sounds like you're a 'beginner'....lol.
My closet is so much more full.
65 pair of panties, 21 bras, 3 pair of forms, 6 wigs, 26 pair of shoes/boots, untold skirts, blouses, slacks/jeans/leggings, 8 dresses from formal to casual, 2 garter belts, 8 pair of stockings, 20 pair of pantyhose, 4 pair of tights, and don't forget half slips, shapewear, padded panties and other miscellaneous items a girl needs.

Just make room in your closet...these things are like rabbits...they multiply quickly.

Beverley Sims
12-28-2012, 06:48 AM
I think all the ones need to be a two, except for the sweatshirt and two bras need to be four.
Probably need more than two belts remember thick and thin ones here.
I notice you have no shorts and possibly no money either. :)

kimdl93
12-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Your closet will tell you when it's full. And you can expect all those clothes to start asking for more opportunities to be worn!

Krististeph
12-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Since May,...............

* 3 dresses: sweater dress, LBD, red sheath dress
---rest of list omitted* ----

Does anyone think I'm going overboard here, or have anyone had similar experiences?

Camille

Cami- your feet aren't even wet yet. :-)

But now is a good time to check out a couple of books from the library or buy a guide on how to build and co-ordinate your wardrobe. You'll tend to buy too many things that you'll wear only once or that do not seem to go with other stuff- getting some good style foundation items should be your next focus- it may feel a little 'boring' especially when you are discovering how much really cute stuff is out there- but you'll save money, dress better, and feel more comfortable in the long run. take it from someone who has blown some serious sums on silly swag...

Suzy Parker
12-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Buying female clothes is like gambling, you had better set a limit before you start or you will wind up in trouble. And both are the same, the money you start with is gone when you are finished. The only difference is with one you get to take home some nice clothes.

Joanna Maguire
12-28-2012, 08:25 AM
I have overbought too when I was younger.Some Ive never worn out of the house as I did not look good or they were
not suitable to wear in public. I now know what size and what suits my figure better. GG's often overbuy especially shoes. A new outfit to wear to a party so other women will not see her wear the same to every outing. My mother spent most of my fathers earning on her clothing and accessories. I amd my father had few male cloths. 2 out fits one for school and another for home. But when my mother dressed me as a girl she soon bought me lots of dresses etc. To day I have few male drab outfits. I have lots of femme gear and unisex clothing But at times I still overspend

Grace85
12-28-2012, 09:01 AM
As long as your wife is on board with the spending and the storage, I don't think you have an unreasonable amount of stuff. You said she doesn't keep track...I would suggest confirming that not keeping track is in fact an indication that she doesn't care how much you buy.

If you're worried you're buying too much stuff, set yourself a budget for it, so you won't buy too much at once. (That will also help you keep your buying spread out, so you'll get a wider variety of styles - stores will have a quite different selection come March than they do right now!)

CynthiaD
12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't even have to read your post to answer that question!

No, of course not!

Add a zero to everything and you'll have what I consider to be a reasonable wardrobe. But then, I wear my femme clothes almost everywhere.

carhill2mn
12-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Overboard? Not in my opinion since you can afford it and your wife is OK with it (and you have enough closet space! There are so many wonderful women's clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc. available that I find that I must make an effort to curtail my buying.

Camille15
12-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I feel less concerned now. In fact, I feel like I still have some serious shopping to get done!

RADER
12-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I had a similar problem; So I went to work and added a large addition to the house.
I put in 3 more closets, and over 600 sq. ft. of floor space. That was 10 years ago.
Guess what, all the closets are full, and there is no more room to expand......
What is a girl to do.........
Rader

docrobbysherry
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Yes! And, that was just TODAY!

I've been doing that for 15 years!

lingerieLiz
12-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Yes there is room to grow. My wife and I relized how much clothing we have. Way to much. Easy solution! Donate what we don't like and shop some more!!!

It depends oh what you can aford. Don't spend more than the budget allows.

KimberlyJean
12-29-2012, 08:04 AM
When I have the opportunity to dress regularly I spend less money. It seems when the urge gets bottled up, shopping online always increases, even when I don't need anything. I have a pair of Madden Girl boots coming in the mail right now and I already have 7 pairs of boots.

WifeofWrenchette
12-29-2012, 12:12 PM
OK, compared to everyone's lists I am starting to think my hubby is a hoarder. He has literally hundreds and hundreds articles of en femme clothing, plus dozens of shoes, wigs, make up, etc. Rader, our house sounds like yours, LOL.

Michelle M
12-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Camille, I probably have three times that much. My limit is a 28" hard shell rolling suitcase with a lock. (stuffed full)

If I want anything new, it has to fit! Otherwise, something older goes to Goodwill.

Stephanie47
12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Before logining on today I donned a newly acquired Nerona black and white floral print dress and a new white lacy slip. You may be letting out pent up shopping. Actually, for five months I do not think you have acquired too many garments, especially from starting at zero. I'm up to ninety dresses which is probably too many. On line shopping, especially eBay, is alluring. When you can find gently used garments for a fraction of the regular retail price-buy!

As long as the household budget can afford the expense, and, it is OK with your wife I see nothing wrong with buying a nice wardrobe.

~Joanne~
12-29-2012, 05:01 PM
I ask myself this all the time, Do I have too much? Being a closet dresser for the most part, out to my SO but not to the world, and hardly ever leave the house dressed, do I really need all of this stuff? If I look at it rationally, probably not, but then again I am far from rational lol

It always starts as a small collection and just tends to grow. Since coming out to my SO, Her being accepting and supportive, when we shop now, I may buy her 3-4 things for herself and can never help but get something for myself at the same time. My collection as it stands....

*4 Dresses - LBD, 2 Sweater, one summer
*8 Tops/blouses
*6 Skirts
*2 Bras
*10 panties
*30+ Pairs of Pantyhose (1 thigh high)
*12 Pairs of heels (2 are salvation army bound)
*1 Pair of Boots
*4 wigs (2 are nice, 2 are costume garbage)
Way too much makeup to list

The only things I think I still need are a better wig, one that more natural to my hair color and a pair of breast forms.

dana 1
12-29-2012, 06:31 PM
I started with a small box of clothes now I have a walk in closet filled, I get no thrill buying online, but going to Macy's or Carson's with my wife is awesome.

Michaelasfun
12-29-2012, 08:29 PM
"Have I bought too many clothes??"

No such thing, girl! LOL

anastasiafantasia
12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I shop when i'm happy.I shop when i'm sad.I shop when I'm mad.I shop when..ever pretty much.Although i tend to personally acquire more when i'm feeling a little low as a kinda pick me up,But as long as it#s casuing no other problems and you have room within the household budget.Then i say go for it!Treat yourself cuz you're worth it!:)

AllisontheGoddess
12-29-2012, 10:14 PM
That's NOT ENOUGH you need MOAR!!MOAR!!MOAR!!!!!!!:stirthepot::stirthepot::st irthepot:

Leah Lynn
12-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Hmmm... I have a bedroom full of clothes and spent over $300 on more clothes today. My justification is that I'm replacing the items that I'll take to the next swap meet.

Yeah, right!!!!

rocketscientist
12-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Too much? ROTFLMAO! There isn't enough space here to list half the stuff I have, including over 300 pairs of shoes, etc,etc.etc. And it's seems to grow exponentially! I have a problem and I know it. My little closet overflowed a long time ago. For me, shopping takes the place of actually dressing somehow. Putting new outfits together is second only to actually wearing them. I shop almost every day. There are several thrift shops where I regularly score killer items at bargain basement prices as well as 6 goodwill stores within 30 miles of where I work. I really need to go thru some of my stuff and pare my "collection"down. Maybe I'll move some here. Hmmm.... keep an eye on the classified section here in the future! Hugs,Tonya

Sometimes Steffi
12-30-2012, 11:34 AM
This doesn't include all the stuff I bought and then returned. OK, so I obviously didn't know what I was thinking when I thought I'd be happy with just a couple items. The irony of it all is, though, that I don't often get a chance to wear this stuff. Maybe once a month, if I'm lucky. I guess that's partly why I keep buying things.... even if I know I can't dress for awhile, I can still experience the thrill and enjoyment of knowing something is coming in the mail for me, and I'll at least get to quickly try it on for size before anyone gets home. It's the suspense of wondering "how will it look on me?" that keeps me feeling connected to my "hobby", even when I can't partake in it. Plus I feel like there are so many different kinds of looks and styles I want to try, and I'm always seeing new ones.

No, I don't think you went overboard, yet.

It's kind of the same with me. I just get a big thrill out of trying something new. But, I have a set mohthly budget, so that kind of keeps it in check. Plus, it allows me a lot more shopping opportunities since I try hard to get the most of my money. I kind of go thru phases, and right now I'm in a dress phase, but I still carefully evaluate each potential purchase.

happy2cd
01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
For me, shopping takes the place of actually dressing somehow. Putting new outfits together is second only to actually wearing them.

I have been thinking the same thing. When I can't dress I find that shopping and thinking about dressing goes up.

No Camille you do not have to much under the circumstances you describe.

Jessica Who
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
If you can afford it and it's not taking a negative toll on your life, I say go for it.

I went overboard a couple times with online shopping and regretted it because I spent waaaay too much money.

MsKimiko
01-03-2013, 05:28 PM
i cant say anything i have a lot of clothes that are hidden away and i cant buy anymore because i have no more space.. :(

Allison Chaynes
01-03-2013, 05:37 PM
My wife is making me get rid of some stuff and in the small pile of clothes I listed on Craigslist the other day, I counted 89 shirts, pants and dresses. Based on how small that pile it I am guessing that between dresses, skirts, pants and shirts I must have close to three hundred? Plus an entire dresser and a half of lingerie. So I guess she may be right that I have a little too much, especially since I have more girl clothes than she does...

Amy07
01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Well I have one large closet full, and a dresser. I have not made a count of everything, but just make sure you spend what you can afford. Have fun!

lingerieLiz
01-04-2013, 11:40 PM
The general rule is that a woman or CD always needs 30% more closet space. I have to admit that I have shopped to the excess. While I can afford it there does reach a point where it is no longer practicle to have more. With more than a 100 bras it would take me over 3 months to wear them all. My downfall is I travel and sometimes I run into situations where I stay longer than expected. I tend to build a new wardrobe especially if I'm just there if they need me and have a lot of free time to shop.

Ashmad77
01-06-2013, 04:24 AM
I can't stop buying!! Everytime I see a sale it's like cha-ching!

Angela Campbell
01-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes you have too many clothes. You are also too skinny, too healthy and have too much money!

Maria S
01-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Depending on a person's size they could go out with pockets full of money and still not be able to get what looks good

Maria

ReineD
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Depending on a person's size they could go out with pockets full of money and still not be able to get what looks good

I wonder if you've hit on something. When the shopping becomes excessive (way more than the average GG would have), how much of it has to do with an eternal quest to find the perfect outfits that will transform a CDer into the beautiful woman s/he feels s/he is inside?

Admittedly, some GGs also seek to fill an inner void with clothes and perhaps believe that if they look just right, they will be loved or appreciated more.

Enjoying stylish outfits and wanting to look the best we can is a good thing though, not to be confused with having way more clothes than a person can possibly wear.

But, some people are just collectors. People have extensive coin collections, stamp collections, they collect nostalgic memorabilia, antiques, older toys, etc, without necessarily breaking the bank. These things have a resale value, they're a investment of sorts. Still even if the clothing or shoe collection will not retain it's monetary value, who's to say that a CDer would not appreciate it any less.

... just rambling. There must be a dozen reasons for having huge stashes of clothes, beyond what one can wear. But I must admit, I don't understand why my SO and (some) other CDers seem to love the clothes disproportionately more than (the average) GGs. As much as I read these threads, I honestly don't think I'll ever understand it thoroughly.

JadeEmber
01-06-2013, 05:57 PM
I wonder if you've hit on something. When the shopping becomes excessive (way more than the average GG would have), how much of it has to do with an eternal quest to find the perfect outfits that will transform a CDer into the beautiful woman s/he feels s/he is inside?

Admittedly, some GGs also seek to fill an inner void with clothes and perhaps believe that if they look just right, they will be loved or appreciated more.

Enjoying stylish outfits and wanting to look the best we can is a good thing though, not to be confused with having way more clothes than a person can possibly wear.

But, some people are just collectors. People have extensive coin collections, stamp collections, they collect nostalgic memorabilia, antiques, older toys, etc, without necessarily breaking the bank. These things have a resale value, they're a investment of sorts. Still even if the clothing or shoe collection will not retain it's monetary value, who's to say that a CDer would not appreciate it any less.

... just rambling. There must be a dozen reasons for having huge stashes of clothes, beyond what one can wear. But I must admit, I don't understand why my SO and (some) other CDers seem to love the clothes disproportionately more than (the average) GGs. As much as I read these threads, I honestly don't think I'll ever understand it thoroughly.

There's a continual quest to find one answer, which shows up a lot on boards like this, but there's really not one, at least from what I've seen. There's OCD, reaction to repression, artistic expression, buying because one can't often wear -- to some degree, though, on average you would expect it to be higher than a standard GG, because people are choosing to cross a line that makes them outside the casual norm. If people didn't feel there was a perjorative aspect to cross-dressing, then more people would do it, and then you'd find that the average would probably be about the same, I would think.

kayesimone
01-06-2013, 06:11 PM
i have gone from a suitcase, to some closet space and now a second bedroom... just have fun with it and shpo, Shop,SHOP!

Leila Be
01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
"Does anyone think I'm going overboard here, or have anyone had similar experiences?"

Yes, very similar experiences. I just made and inventory of all the items I've purchased in the last 6 months when I "made a certain commitment" to the lifestyle and it was a bit jaw-dropping. The thrill and instant gratification of online shopping can be intoxicating for men who no longer need to shop in retail stores. To some degree, I see I need to limit my "splurges" 2-3 times a year. P.S. this said after just ordering €160 on new goodies. :)

TrekGirl1701
01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
I was just asking myself this same question today. I'm not a full-time dresser. In fact, I only ever intend to wear female clothing in the privacy of my own home. So where do I draw the line if the clothes are never going to be worn outside the house? Is there a point to having so many clothes in my situation?

Ninotchka
01-08-2013, 04:33 PM
There is no such thing as too many clothes, unless they get in your way. Part of the fun in being a CD is variety.
A house dress for domestic chores, different lengths and widths of skirts, different sorts of tops, some fancy gowns, lingerie,etc. So, be practical, and exercise self control. Trade off what you have lost your taste for, or sell it on EBay.
Don't drive yourself into the poor house. I trade things with a special friend and always have something fresh to wear.

happy2cd
01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't understand why my SO and (some) other CDers seem to love the clothes disproportionately more than (the average) GGs. As much as I read these threads, I honestly don't think I'll ever understand it thoroughly.

It could be that a CDer has had to invest a lot more to acquire the clothes than a GG. You have to finally get up the nerve to cross into the woman's department or enter a store that only sells women's clothing and ultimately screw up the courage to make a purchase and then take it home to see how it fits/looks etc. That is a huge investment up front, then there is the release of being able to explore favorite clothes, types and or styles, that have always been denied.

I would also speculate that a second, or third stash has even more emotional investment since it comes with the realization that this ain't going away and it is hard to happy/satisfied/complete without being able to wear women's clothes.

I know that I could never possibly wear all the clothes I have since I am still closeted, and that leads me to conclude that the idea of wearing the clothes I am shopping for also lets me touch the magic the Frederique aludes to.